-Parchment with the seal of the Order of the Brilliant Hammer-

• Dorn
  • Thank Yous: 45
16 Aug 2010 16:48 - 25 Aug 2010 14:27 #1 by Dorn (Aradiel)
-This Parchment was torn down-

Dorn Marblecarver

-Killer of goblins and Trolls....the filthy gits-

(Jeff Mclean)
Last edit: 25 Aug 2010 14:27 by .
  • fathertain
  • I am also known, as the Angel Crusher
  • Thank Yous: 0
16 Aug 2010 21:00 #2 by fathertain (fathertain)
Replied by fathertain (fathertain) on topic -Parchment with the seal of the Order of the Brilliant Hammer-
Lord Templar Tellinghast,

You cant imagine my relief to find you back in Travance, alive and well.  I had heard that your body was ripped to pieces by evil hordes, that your head had been displayed on a pike, and your soul no longer among the living.  I am thankful this is not the case.

Please understand, my lord, that no member of the baronial court will be released from service without the express permission of Baron William Uryens Montgomery.  While I find your devotion to Valos quite inspirational, I'll not be losing a most satisfactory Captain of the Guard based on your authority alone. 

I am certain Baron Montgomery will have no objection to any clergy who wish to break their oath to the Barony in service to the light.  Nevertheless I must insist that they first seek The Baron's council.

If you would be generous enough to lend me some of your time, I would be happy to speak with you.  Perhaps we can meet some night you aren't inquisitioning?

PS. I look forward to purchasing some of those lovely candles I know you make.  Can you set some aside for me?

R.R.Draconus

Seneschal, Travance Proper

-adam
  • dedrite
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • For the Emperor!
  • Thank Yous: 1
16 Aug 2010 21:09 #3 by dedrite (dedrite)
The Baron's permission is irrelevant.

All clergy are to be considered free from his service as of Lord Templars mandate.

-Brother Knight Templar Sabatheous Tellinghast-
Knight Templar of the Order of the Brilliant Hammer
Holy Inquisitor of the Church of Kormyre

Crudelius est quam mori semper timere mortem

"Nothing is ever forgotten"

((Joe Bondi-Marketing Officer))
  • fathertain
16 Aug 2010 21:19 #4 by fathertain (fathertain)
Replied by fathertain (fathertain) on topic -Parchment with the seal of the Order of the Brilliant Hammer-
Your zeal is very admirable Knight Templar but I am afraid you are mistaken.  Lord Tellinghast ofcourse has ample authority to command the agents of the light anyway he wishes but I must insist that any clergy among the baronial court first petition his excellency, Baron Montgomery, for repreave from their oath to the proper; a release I am certain he is willing to grant.

Let me be the first to say how lucky we all are among the citizenry to have such stalwart heros as yourselves back among our graces.  I can speak for the Baron when i welcome you back as visiting Nobility.

R.R.Draconus

-adam
  • dedrite
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • For the Emperor!
16 Aug 2010 21:22 #5 by dedrite (dedrite)
Insist as you wish.

-Brother Knight Templar Sabatheous Tellinghast-
Knight Templar of the Order of the Brilliant Hammer
Holy Inquisitor of the Church of Kormyre

Crudelius est quam mori semper timere mortem

"Nothing is ever forgotten"

((Joe Bondi-Marketing Officer))
  • Tiriel
  • Banned
  • Banned
16 Aug 2010 21:46 #6 by Tiriel (Tiriel)
I would point out as a matter of common knowledge (OOG taken directly from the rulebook under Religion):

"The Church of Valos has its own organization, which exists outside the rule of the nobility. Clergy of the Church of Valos answer to the Church, and not to the Kingdom, unless a clergyman’s superior should decide to expose him to the rule of law for his transgressions. At first, this may sound like a grand deal for the clergy, but in fact most would often prefer to face the Kingdom, which often issues punishments far kinder than those delivered by the Church, and which is constrained by the letters of its laws in how it judges the accused."

and this as well:

"Lord Knight Templar
He is the leader of an order of Knight Templars. His authority extends directly to the Pope. His title reads "Lord (first name) (last name)" or, "Lord Knight Templar, of the order of (orders name)"

So I believe that his Eminence, Lord Knight Templar Aradiel Tellinghast, of the Order of the Brilliant Hammer, is well within his rights in declaring this, and I would politely suggest that Chancellor Rubious amend his choice of words, before his Eminence reads them for himself.

Walk in the Light,

Brother Tiriel Tellinghast
Cleric of Valos

Valrkirin Urulokion, in service to Lord Blackthorne
Turin MacLeod (NPC)

Terry
  • fathertain
16 Aug 2010 22:12 - 16 Aug 2010 22:14 #7 by fathertain (fathertain)
Brother Tellinghast,

My title is Seneschal, not Chancellor.  I have given all due respect to your family members, and to you in addressing them formally and with proper title.  I am certain you ment no offense, and ofcourse, i take none.

R.R.Draconus

-adam
Last edit: 16 Aug 2010 22:14 by .
  • Tiriel
  • Banned
  • Banned
16 Aug 2010 22:27 #8 by Tiriel (Tiriel)
Good Seneschal,

my deepest apologies on my mistaking your title.  I know full well that you are the Seneschal of the Barony, as noted in my second posting.  I would blame the vast quantities of beer that I have drunk this evening, but, as everyone knows, it takes far more than simply a keg of beer to inebriate an inveterate drinker such as myself, thus I have no choice but to admit to having made an error.  Perhaps it was due to haste, but more likely I was writing faster than I was thinking, and mixed myself up.  That happens on occasion.

My thanks for your forgiveness, you know I hold nothing but deepest respect for you and your position, and, as penance, and to reaffirm our relationship, I would like to buy several rounds of drinks the next time we should both be in the Proper together.

Walk in the Light, my friend, and I hope to share a bottle or three with you soon,

Cleric of Valos

Turin MacLeod (NPC)

Terry
  • Ardentfyre
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 25
17 Aug 2010 00:05 #9 by Ardentfyre (Ardentfyre)
Replied by Ardentfyre (Ardentfyre) on topic -Parchment with the seal of the Order of the Brilliant Hammer-
Brother Tiriel,

The quotation you've placed here is not based upon those who have sworn fealty to a Lord or Baron, it is for those of faith who choose to stay among the common folk.  Those men and women are subject to the clergy's punishments and law, but an oath made to Nobility still holds it's bond.  This is a matter that Lord Templar Aradiel should address with the Baron directly as Templar Kensington has been a boon to the Barony for all his time in the position.

That being said, the Lord Templar has made his decree, should the Baron or any of the Lords take issue I'm certain it will be done in private and resolved accordingly.

Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
    Order of the White Fox
        Master of Defense of the Mages Guild

[hr]
Jonathon G.
Rules Officer
  • Tiriel
  • Banned
  • Banned
17 Aug 2010 18:05 #10 by Tiriel (Tiriel)
Three things I wish to point out, in case those reading these messages do not hold all the information necessary to understand what Lord Templar Aradiel is saying.

First, do you think that the Lord Aradiel did not speak to the Baron, the Baron's court, and the available Lords of the land?  Do you think Lord Templar Aradiel posted this notice on a whim?  For those that do not know, the Baron, the Count, the Magistrate, and Lords Abendroth and Brightstar were involved in long conversation with both Lord Templar Aradiel and Knight Templar Sabatheous.  While I was not privy to the entirety of the conversation, I would politely suggest that any who feel that the Lord Templar has acted out of his purview should either check with their own superiors to see if any conversation did take, or write Lord Aradiel privately, so as to inquire about said actions.

Having said that, Lord Templar Aradiel will no longer tolerate any undermining of his authority in this area.  He reminds you that his authority is equal to that of a Cardinal in high standing, and second only to the Pontiff himself.  Anyone who who chooses to question this authority in such a public fashion shall find Lord Templar Aradiel's ire turned upon them, backed by the full weight of his position.

Secondly, and this is directly largely to Lord Ardentfyre, as I believe he may be misinformed of the nature of Church vows.  The first Vow that any clergy member of the Church of Light takes is the Vow of Obedience.  It is the only Vow that is required of every clergyman of any rank.  Essentially, it declares that the clergyman is turning his life over to his God and the Church, and will perform as directed, without question or delay.  The Vow of Obedience cuts through any secular vows that a person may have made previously in his life, and stands above all other vows he may be asked to make later in his life.  A clergyman may be released from his Vow of Obedience only by the authority of the Church.  He may never choose, of his own volition, to end the Vow.  It is the responsibility of the avowed clergyman to inform any secular power that he might later swear a vow to, that he has already sworn to a Vow of Obedience, and thus circumstances my arise where he might be forsworn.  It is then up to the secular power to either agree to this caveat, or to reject it, and release the avowed clergyman from service.

Finally, I am afraid that there are those who might think that I, Tiriel, take it upon my self to post such things, and do so out of my own sense of entitlement.  I assure you that everything I post, in regards to Church doctrine, or the actions of the Church, or the Tellinghast family, is approved by my superiors, in this case Lord Templar Aradiel and Knight Templar Sabatheous.  My words here are not the mutterings of a disgruntled cleric, but rather the words of the Church, approved by the head of the Church on this side of the Rift, Lord Templar Aradiel Tellinghast, of the Order of the Brilliant Hammer.

I apologize for the length of this missive, and for it's blunt statements, but these are hard times coming, and we felt that the message of Lord Templar Aradiel was being misconstrued and perhaps diluted.  This should reaffirm that all is as it should be, and that Lord Templar Aradiel's declarations are both legal and within his authority and purview.

Walk in the Light,

Cleric of Valos

"Only in death does duty end".

Turin MacLeod (NPC)

Terry
  • Quin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Captain Cupcake
  • Thank Yous: 15
17 Aug 2010 23:45 #11 by Quin (Quin)
Sirs,

Perhaps this conversation would be best concluded in person, at the next Baronial feast or in personal missives, before any more is said? It does not do well to see matters of Church and Barony brought up in such a manner. I pray you do not think me so bold to say so, but lesser minds may think poorly on heated words such as the ones spoken in these messages.

Blessings,
Quin K.

Quin K.
It isn't enough to talk about peace, one must believe it.
    And it isn't enough to believe in it, one must work for it.

Emily (MM/RPM)
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
18 Aug 2010 02:57 #12 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
I disagree with you Mother Quinn,

Taking things into private should be done to ensure the safety of the town or to keep this posting board light and on it's tacks, in my opinion. Considering these changes affect the town greatly, I would think it would be best interest to keep this a public discussion. The changes run too deep to cover it over with a veil of secrecy, and have it not become susceptible to rumor and gossip.

It is only my opinion as a long serving citizen and servant to the Barony.

Odo Garaath
Trades Law Enforcer under Chancellor Na
Master Mason of Travance

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.539 seconds