A story, instead of so many edged words.

• Michael P
  • Thank Yous: 0
24 Oct 2010 23:41 #1 by Michael P (Michael P)
A story, instead of so many edged words. was created by Michael P (Michael P)
Greetings,

I understand that as Gypsy most Gaje will not listen to my words, or see them as a waste of time.  I know that as wyld mage my words would be scrutinized.  My place is not in correcting nobles, they are far more knowing than I.  My place is not to give knowledge to Mages, as they are more wise than I.  I know this.  I hear this.  I see this in every letter or announcement that says 'Gypsy Need Not Apply' or in the looks that others give as Romani approach, and purses are hidden out of reflex.  I know this, and I understand this, so I do not imagine to attempt to speak in regards to these two great men who have great ideals.

So instead, I do what I am meant to do.  I tell stories.  I tell story of three brothers.  These brothers, the three, they are shepherds.  The three brothers watch over a grand flock of sheep, of many colors, that could easily be a kings ransom in old country.  Well these three brothers, they all saw taking care of the sheep much differently from each other.  

Oldest brother, he counted the sheep like silver and gold.  More interest went into figuring out how to get more gold out of the flock than how to raise them.  On the first night, when the eldest brother was to care for the sheep, a wolf came.  This wolf, it was smart.  Instead of just running into the sheep and killing, it came to the side of the pen and said 'I can make you free, if you just follow.'  The sheep, not knowing any better, followed the wolf into the night and were lost.

The next day the younger two brothers, twins, argued over whose way would be best for sheep tending.  The first brother, pained daily, thought that we must find way to make wolf no longer our enemy.  The second brother, much stronger than most men, thought they should kill wolf.  They argued day and night, day and night,  for a full moon they argued... and each day the numbers were lessened and each night the predator came and coaxed the sheep out into the darkness of the night.

Finally, the two brothers agreed that both ideas should be followed.  The stronger brother looked to take some of the sheep and train them to attack the predator, the wiser brother looked for herbs and plants to be placed to keep the predator at bay.  When the two brothers agreed, they fetched their older brother from his day bed (he had grown very ill while his coin counting diminished) and they walked out to their field.  When they got to the field, they saw that not only were almost all the sheep gone... but the full belly and good living allowed the wolf to have many pups who in turn looked with savage eyes.

Some say moral to story is that good intentions can be destroyed through in fighting.  Some say that moral is pride and sins drag us down.  I think that bullisk.  I think moral is that sheep will be sheep, and they will follow whoever makes the offer... be it a shepherd or beast which wishes to consume the sheep in darkness.  It is just matter of which side of the fight does their assigned lot in life.  

-Paetros

Michael Pucci
Player of Paetros of the Yhatzi Kompania

www.DystopiaRisingLARP.com
  • Jarons20
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 1
25 Oct 2010 00:20 #2 by Jarons20 (Jarons20)
Replied by Jarons20 (Jarons20) on topic A story, instead of so many edged words.
I like to think it means the Wolf is smarter then the man who holds himself so high above the animals he shares the land with, man falls before his pride.
- Keir Keith Owain

OOG - Jason Arons
25 Oct 2010 01:04 #3 by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507)
Replied by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507) on topic A story, instead of so many edged words.
I see your meaning but I do not share your fear of wolves. While I do not like the idea of stealing another's livelihood I think there is much we can learn from the wolves. If we look at the brothers a year or two later with a new flock but no lessons learned. We see the wolves pups now grown working together to survive. While the brothers squabble the the wolves. Are tight knit and support eachother. If a lower wolf does not agree with the decisions of the Alpha they do not challenge them as some believe instead they remove themselves from the pack and seek a mate to form an new pack. The two packs do no fight as the brothers would rather they stay apart and leave the other pack to be. They know it is best for the species to let sleeping dogs lie.

Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga
Hero of Auralion
Warrior of the White Wolf

- Druid

David Reyes
  • Raphael
  • Thank Yous: 1
25 Oct 2010 04:24 #4 by Raphael (Raphael)
Replied by Raphael (Raphael) on topic A story, instead of so many edged words.
Typhon,

I'm sure wolves are fantastic company in the right context. Being one of the sheep in Paetros' story, however, I can't say I'm entirely at home with that perspective; are you?

I say the moral of the story is that you shouldn't waste time when there's important work to be done... and keep an eye out for things in the woods.

Raphael Arkanian Rasia

Raphael Arkanian
OOG: Emerson Daly
"There is no such thing as a moral or immoral book. Books are well-written, or badly written... that is all."
-Oscar Wilde
25 Oct 2010 09:25 #5 by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507)
Replied by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507) on topic A story, instead of so many edged words.
I never said wolves were not dangerous, they are still wild animals I simply think that one can see that those who band together are stronger then those who fight amongst themselves. The moral you see has merit too. And in regards to your last statement every one needs to be careful in the woods. Snakes may be great predators but hawks will gobble them up without warning. We are prey for other animals but we are prey which can defend itself. Unfortunatly we prey on our own. Within the forests I have been attacked by more things human than animal.
Trust Your Instincts.
Typon Scyldinga

Hero of Auralion

- Druid

David Reyes
25 Oct 2010 10:29 #6 by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar)
Replied by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar) on topic A story, instead of so many edged words.
Paetros,

You are a credit to our storytellers of old. I do wish others learn from the Wolves, the Sheep and Man and keep this story in mind as our stories unfold these next few months.

May the Roads be in Your Favor,

E.M.

Templar Ekatarina Esmeralda Kisslinger McKregar, Prophet of the Kindred Oak

Neina Avaren

OOC: Ann A.- Logistics Marshal
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
25 Oct 2010 11:15 #7 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic A story, instead of so many edged words.
Ah, but what happens when the sheep look up?

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
25 Oct 2010 12:13 #8 by Keith_Stratton (Keith_Stratton)
Replied by Keith_Stratton (Keith_Stratton) on topic A story, instead of so many edged words.
They drown. Or is that turkeys? I'll have to check with Hamish again.

Cyric McKraegar

Cyric McKraegar
  • Rudolf
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 140
25 Oct 2010 13:58 #9 by Rudolf (Rudolf)
Replied by Rudolf (Rudolf) on topic A story, instead of so many edged words.
Dear Paetros,

Pay a handsome sum to an alchemist who can create a tincture which will poison the wolf.

Your brothers may balk at the price you paid, but you may point to the woolen socks keeping their feet warm, the woolen cloaks keeping their heads dry, and the mutton on their plates keeping their bellies full and tell them to shut up.

Best wishes,
Rudolf

Lord Rudolf Von Kreutzdorf of Ostcliff
Golden Rose Trading Company
OOG - Larry Wile (Marshal)
25 Oct 2010 14:48 #10 by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507)
Rudolph,
We seem to be straying from the topic but perhaps the better method than poison is to call for a druid, one who specializes in animals, and who happens to live with a pack of wolves. Like myself.

Hero of Auralion

- Druid

David Reyes
25 Oct 2010 16:40 #11 by T. Grumblegut (Yngwie)
Replied by T. Grumblegut (Yngwie) on topic A story, instead of so many edged words.
Paetros,

Well said.

-Sir Yngwie Tellinghast

Alex T.
Rules Marshal
  • Tim P
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 379
27 Oct 2010 20:19 #12 by Tim P (OrganicGolem)
Replied by Tim P (OrganicGolem) on topic A story, instead of so many edged words.
I think you druids are looking into the story too much and relating it to life in travance, rather than understanding its meaning. I could buy 200 sheep tomorrow if I wanted, and by no means would that make me rich.

I agree, well said.

~Orophin Eärfalas

[hr]
-Tim P
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.566 seconds