Music

• Josephine
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • You're welcome.
  • Thank Yous: 64
04 Jul 2011 19:45 #1 by Josephine (mferro54)
Music was created by Josephine (mferro54)
Hello Travance-

I am writing this to share with you my disturbing experience at this month's feast.

As you all know, we here in Travance are especially blessed with talented musicians. The folk who perform for your benefit month after month are not wandering minstrels whose faces you will never see again. They are the same men and women who fight along side you. And they have taken special time to work on their performances which they might have spent sharpening their blades or plying some other trade.

It seems that many people have taken this for granted. As I listened to the songs being sang, I could not help but notice the blatant disrespect for these artists on display. Many of you could not spare even as much attention as you gave to your wine to them. Worse still, there were those around me who actually mocked the singers. And worst of all, whole groups of people simply rose from their seats and walked out, clanking their armor as loud as you please, not even waiting for a break between songs. After witnessing this, I would rather spend my night with an unreformed Gustav than with some of you.

Since almost all those who performed were kin to me, you might imagine that I am biased. You are right. To my people, songs and stories are as important as water to a Bedouin. So Travance, I ask of all of you, behave with respect. When a gypsy sings you a song, listen.

IG: Josephine Weaveforger,
Carlotta OZ
OOG: Mary Bouchard (nee Ferro)
  • Michael P
  • Thank Yous: 0
04 Jul 2011 21:22 #2 by Michael P (Michael P)
Replied by Michael P (Michael P) on topic Music
Carlotta,

As another gypsy I can appreciate the talent that is behind the voices and
performances that are done... however... I often find myself sneaking out of the
performances between sets.  The reason for this isn't because the music
is poorly done, but instead because the material is not appropriate for most
of the crowd and many of the people eating and drinking.  Think back to
when the swashbucklers performed... the crowd loved it.  The songs were
ones that were known, ones that people could sing with, and ones that were
appropriate for the gathering of hard working and hard drinking people.  As
tone deaf as some of the Celts I know are, people can't help but smile and
enjoy when they sing 'Old Lord Pyre'.  People need to laugh and smile, in
particular when life is being so hard... that is what the performers should focus
on.  Performing is supposed to be about playing to the crowd, not the performers
playing to hear themselves.  Perhaps the performers should consider who is
listening instead of thinking about what songs they personally like.  

Life is hard enough so close to the rift, with demons and undead and all sorts
of things attacking us.  Instead of singing the lamenting song of some dying
woman who was left by her man in a language we don't understand, or some
mournful ditty that no one gives two coppers about... maybe perform for the
crowd instead of taking advantage of a captive audience?  I know I tipped a
bar of mythril and some gems for the one handed performing sailor... I know
I skip desert many times when the music holder and stern faces demand my
attention at the front of the room.

Paetros

Michael Pucci
Player of Paetros of the Yhatzi Kompania

www.DystopiaRisingLARP.com
  • Josephine
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • You're welcome.
  • Thank Yous: 64
05 Jul 2011 02:03 #3 by Josephine (mferro54)
Replied by Josephine (mferro54) on topic Music
Paetros,

I understand completely. Sometimes a sad song is simply too much to listen to. But leaving quietly when a performance does not suit your tastes is one thing. Making as much noise as a Coasthaven bar brawl while you do it is just rude. This is exactly what happened. I could barely hear the music over them!

A member of the guard sent me a note to remind me that guardsmen must come and go when their duties demand it. Once again, I understand entirely. This is a dangerous place in which we live, and there are pressing matters which draw us away from our mirth and feasting.

My rant is not meant for any but those who showed blatant and intentional disrespect. There can be no excusing such behavior. Some people made not even the slightest gesture to acknowledge the singers, and when I hear people cat-calling and heckling, it is all I can do not to dump my drink on the guilty party's head!

IG: Josephine Weaveforger,
Carlotta OZ
OOG: Mary Bouchard (nee Ferro)
  • Erim Walker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • I love Travance. There are shirtless men EVERYWHER
  • Thank Yous: 0
05 Jul 2011 13:02 #4 by Erim Walker (shiva14b)
Replied by Erim Walker (shiva14b) on topic Music
You act like you've never worked a tough crowd before! At my father's inn in Faust, if a visiting minstral can't grab an audiences attention before he gets cracked with a flying mug, he deserves the chipped tooth.

"Ok we can attack... but if we miss, we'll hit the villagers."
"I'm willing to take that chance!"

Things I am no longer allowed to do in an RPG :
31. The backup trap handler is not whoever has the most HP at the time.
73. Not allowed to name my cudgel Ceremonial Whoopass Stick.
74. My thief's battle cry is not "Run And Live"

[OOG Jenna
  • Hadrian Thane
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • The night is dark and full of terrors.
  • Thank Yous: 3
05 Jul 2011 13:11 #5 by Hadrian Thane (GBino)
Replied by Hadrian Thane (GBino) on topic Music
I would pay to hear the Travancian Anthem each feast.

Lord Abendroth

/* OOG
* Rob G.
* Rules Marshal, Margrave
*/
  • rivanyasi
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Opportunity lets you find, Skill lets you procure.
  • Thank Yous: 42
05 Jul 2011 13:17 #6 by rivanyasi (rivanyasi)
Replied by rivanyasi (rivanyasi) on topic Music
Carlotta, I thank you for not dumping drinks on people. Even here, we can't afford to waste water on the uncouth.

Still, I appreciate your concerns, and, though I don't wear armor, I'll make sure my plates stay as silent as I try to be when I bus them to the kitchen.

Stay safe,

Na'ar Chacov, Soul of the Stars.

Ayiri Amexis, Sorceress' Apprentice.
Lupta Tamasa, Torn and Blackened.

OOG: Riva A.
05 Jul 2011 13:31 #7 by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar)
Replied by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar) on topic Music
Na'ar, I would like to quickly thank you for remembering to bring your plate, mug and utensils to the kitchen after feast. That seems to be something that many people in Travance forget every time.

Carlotta, you wonder if the members of our town know civility and manors due to their actions during performances, I assure you that many don't know manors due to the fact I am constantly cleaning up dishes and cups left by town members after every feast. I wish for a feast that afterward I only have to whisk crumbs away from the table.

And Lord Abendroth, if you send me the music and lyrics, I will see what I can do to get it sung at feast.

Templar Ekatarina Esmeralda Kisslinger McKregar, Prophet of the Kindred Oak

Neina Avaren

OOC: Ann A.- Logistics Marshal
  • Hadrian Thane
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • The night is dark and full of terrors.
  • Thank Yous: 3
05 Jul 2011 14:06 #8 by Hadrian Thane (GBino)
Replied by Hadrian Thane (GBino) on topic Music
You'll have to talk to the bards that sung this past feast. It was the song sung second to last. The Baron has suggested that we might make it our anthem it struck us so favorably.

Lord Abendroth

/* OOG
* Rob G.
* Rules Marshal, Margrave
*/
  • Raphael
  • Thank Yous: 1
08 Jul 2011 14:38 #9 by Raphael (Raphael)
Replied by Raphael (Raphael) on topic Music
To Lord Abendroth; you and the Baron both honor me deeply with your words, my Lord. The song you refer to was my own composition, a piece I wrote in ode to Travance and our victory at Markovia- and something I really put a great deal of myself into. I fear that perhaps the citizens of Travance will tire of hearing the same song every moon, but if you and the Baron both wish it, it will be done. The original title of the song is "Banners Fly".

To Carlotta; I thank you for your concern. It can be very difficult to perform under such circumstances, so it means a lot to have someone from outside the band acknowledge that. However, I do not see this as a kindness I would expect to be shown to the performers, but rather I wish the audience would give themselves more of a chance to get involved with the music. As a performer, I believe that it's our responsibility to hold the attentions of our audience, but I do think people should challenge themselves to pay close attention and find personal meaning in the music, rather than dismissing it and leaving for a more immediate activity.

To Paetros; I cannot speak for any other bard, but when I sing a ballad, a dirge, or a tragic song of battle, I do not ever sing for myself. I sing because music is about more than just escape; it's about catharsis. It's about coming to terms with the harsh realities of our existence. It's about singing the anthems of war beside your brethren, and getting wrapped up in the stories of heroes, battles, and tragedies long past, and from other lands.

Drunken revelry has its place indeed, and you will see me up there singing songs that everyone knows to make people laugh, sing along, and forget about their problems. But if most of my performances were like this, I would do dishonor to my calling as a Bard. I can see how my approach might be less immediately successful, but my experience of playing a tough crowd leads me to think that rather than capitulating and giving us the easy songs, a Bard should believe in his music, and believe in his audiences' ability to appreciate it... and that by doing so, he will get the crowd to believe with him.

I almost decided against performing "Banners Fly" at the last feast. I was worried it was too dark and involved for the listeners- that it would not only drive people away, but leave the remaining listeners morose and dissatisfied. I conquered my fears, believed in my music, and the performance received the best reception I've yet had in Travance... so I've never been more sure about this than I am now.

To Erim; I've worked plenty of tough crowds. I've been driven off stages, and run for my life because I caused mortal offense with the subject of a song... but I've also moved an entire room of people to tears. If I only played the songs that the crowd expected, while I might ensure a lack of thrown mugs and chipped teeth, I wouldn't be half the bard I am.

Raphael Arkanian
OOG: Emerson Daly
"There is no such thing as a moral or immoral book. Books are well-written, or badly written... that is all."
-Oscar Wilde
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.525 seconds