Library Hours

• geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
19 Aug 2011 18:33 #1 by geezer (geezer)
Library Hours was created by geezer (geezer)
Amizar and I are going to have regular library hours.  They will be:

Friday  Midnight to 1 AM
Satruday  1030 AM to 1130AM,  4 PM to 5 PM 
Sunday  10AM to noon

Specific appointments will also be made.  If interested, please message me.

A list of the library's contents is available.

We hope to have the library open more frequently when its new building is constructed.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • GJSchaller
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
19 Aug 2011 19:40 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Library Hours
Father Haroldson, please confirm you are not limiting access to a Baronial resource - this is your personal Library, and not the Baronial one?

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Aug 2011 20:14 #3 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Library Hours
The baronial library, for reasons known only to the gods, was magically merged with the cook's room and thus protected by the Gabriel's Door on the latter.  When the strange summer sorcery ends (perhaps this coming feast, which will make the post moot), the library will be open as follows:

Friday:  After the Count's opening remarks until 2 AM

Saturday:  9 AM until 2 AM

Sunday  !0 AM until 1 PM

The non-access hours are due to the Count's permitting people, among them the court portrait painter, to reside inside.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

20 Aug 2011 15:52 #4 by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF)
Replied by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF) on topic Library Hours
If i may, who controls the Library?

Jurgur'mosh GoreTusk
free orc
(OOG-Matt F)
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
20 Aug 2011 16:41 #5 by geezer (geezer)
You must be more specific in your question.  When the summer sorcery combined it with the Cook's room., it required one with knowledge of the password to the Gabriel's Dor on the Cook's room  to be present when  someone else desired entrance to the library.

In the winter months, the Count allows some to sleep in the library.  Although they do not "control" it in a strict sense,  it is desireable that someone be presetn in the library to prevent their belongings from being =randomly pilferred, which I assure you has frequently happened.  The books, and only the books, are protected from disfigurement and theft by a powerful and unique sorcery.

Having posted and distinct hours of operation will allow a "minder" to be present to prevent such sad happenings.  I imagine whjen the new structure is build, and is occupied on a regular basis by the same people, some similar access system will be employed, with the Count's blessing, natujrally.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Josephine
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • You're welcome.
  • Thank Yous: 64
21 Aug 2011 13:24 #6 by Josephine (mferro54)
Replied by Josephine (mferro54) on topic Library Hours
Father Haroldson,

Where can I view the catalogue of what is contained in the library? My thanks.

IG: Josephine Weaveforger,
Carlotta OZ
OOG: Mary Bouchard (nee Ferro)
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Aug 2011 16:31 #7 by geezer (geezer)
The catalog is in the library.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Jack
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Pi is exactly 3
  • Thank Yous: 308
21 Aug 2011 19:05 #8 by Jack (Keeperofdice)
Replied by Jack (Keeperofdice) on topic Library Hours
Fr. Haroldson,
        I believe the question still stands on if the library you are referencing is The Baronial Library.  Thank you.

Ser Jack Siefer
Knight Of Drega'Mire
Head of Research & Development of Kormyre
Sky Marshal
Captain of the K.A.S. Tarrasque

OOG: Gus M.

“Men learn from their failures. I prefer to learn from the failures of others..”
"Sometimes what the world doesn't need is a hero. Sometimes what it needs is a monster."
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Aug 2011 21:59 #9 by geezer (geezer)
So far as I am aware, there is but one library in Travance.  It is a combination of the Baron's and the Count's, augmented by my personal library, which is now part of it.  That being said, there were two questions asked in response to my original post.  To which do you refer, Professor Cypher?

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

22 Aug 2011 12:34 #10 by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF)
My question is in reference to the baronial library. I ask because i would like to know if i have access to read and study the literature supplied without caution of the keepers of said establishment. Do i need permission from you, the baron, the count, what i need to know is who is in charge?

Jurgur'mosh GoreTusk
free orc
(OOG-Matt F)
  • Jack
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Pi is exactly 3
22 Aug 2011 13:26 #11 by Jack (Keeperofdice)
You are more than welcome to use the Baronial Library as you wish, as no one is restricted from access to it,  there are just implements in place to secure the area.  Makes for much quieter research without everyone running in and out.  I will see to it at the next feast that you get information you need to freely use the facility. 

Ser Jack Siefer
Knight Of Drega'Mire
Sky Marshal

“Men learn from their failures. I prefer to learn from the failures of others..”
"Sometimes what the world doesn't need is a hero. Sometimes what it needs is a monster."
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
22 Aug 2011 13:34 #12 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Library Hours
I think I have just become confused by what I have read.  If I may state these "facts" as I have read them...

1. There is only 1 (one) Library in Travance.  The Baronial Library.
2. This library is owned by the Count & the Baron.
3. Within the library are books which have come from the Count, the Baron, & Fr. Haroldson.
4.  Due to the magical protections & properties of the library, it has merged or it's location has somehow consumed the cook's room.

Fr. Haroldson has listed times that the library will be best available due to the fact others will be in the room(s) & out of respect to them, allow them some privacy.

Am I correct thus far in my thinking?

If so, then the concern or desire some of the subjects of Travance wish to voice is the ability to gain access to the library outside the times stated before.  As well as some wish to know if a chaperone is needed when entering & staying in the library during it's usage.  Prof. Cypher has lent some clarification on the library in those regards.

There has been many discussions before about libraries & books, that I have no wish to unleash those thoughts like a bad resetting alchemical trap with noise & itching powder.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 Aug 2011 13:56 #13 by geezer (geezer)
So long as an unwanted sorcery has combined the Cook's Room with the library, both Quan Liu and I require that whomsoever desires to use the library in our absence must either personally guarantee the security of our personal belongings or agree to the presence of a chaperone while using it. 

Professor Cypher may state what he will, which he has the right to do, but as with many of his pronouncements, unless he both knows the password to our personal quarters and is willing to announce it, he cannot deliver on his statement.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Jack
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Pi is exactly 3
22 Aug 2011 14:11 #14 by Jack (Keeperofdice)
Fr. Haroldson,
        As it stands at the moment at the next feast or before then if you wish to send me a private letter,  I will need you to give me the password to the Gabriel's Door upon the Baronial Library.  I humbly thank you for your compliance in this matter. 

Ser Jack Siefer
Knight Of Drega'Mire
Sky Marshal

• geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 Aug 2011 15:12 #15 by geezer (geezer)
Prof. Cypher
No

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• THENPC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Assassins Do It From Behind
  • Thank Yous: 126
22 Aug 2011 15:31 - 22 Aug 2011 15:44 #16 by THENPC (THENPC)
Replied by THENPC (THENPC) on topic Library Hours
I am sorry, but this cannot stand.

The Baronial library was made to be open to all, with its knowledge accessible by all subjects of the Barony. Restricting it in this way is destroying the work of Baron Montgomery, as well as the efforts of both Baron Klarington and Sebastian Everest who came before. This is not even mentioning the immense problem I have with restricting the flow of, and access to, knowledge both on a personal level and on behalf of Chronicler. In fact, I urge all other Chroniclerites to voice their thoughts of the matter, so long as they do not become slanderous.

Of further concern, good Father, is your obstruction of the business of an officer of the Barony, by refusing to allow Prof. Cypher the means to access the library.  

If, good Father, you do not offer a more amiable solution by the time of the next Baronial feast, then I offer 50 gold from my own purse to any sorcerer who can disenchant the Gabriel's door on the library.

Adversus Nox Noctis,
Sir Lethias Discretion Nathaniel Peregrin Christopher Wrathchild VonRitter
Knight of Travance
Putting the Shiv in Chivalry Since 1202

Mortem facit omnes aequales, vitam facit omnes fratres
Vince The NPC;
RM, RPM, ST
Last edit: 22 Aug 2011 15:44 by .
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 Aug 2011 16:46 #17 by geezer (geezer)
Sir von  Ritter

I will not give the password to my abode to Professor Cypher - period.  The sorcery that merged the two rooms was not of my doing, or of my instigation.  It will certainly split back by October, possibly by September.  Until that time, people desiring access to my and Quan Liu's personal quarters must make arrangements that suit us.  Since I have put certain protections on the Cook's Room, it has been mercifully free of thefts.  I see no compelling reason allow others free access to my room.  To that end, though no one has up to now complained about access to the library, I have made arrangements to have someone there during certain hours. 

Of course, should you find someone willing to:
A - post surety for our possessions
B - Change the password after the merge ends

I would be willing to provide the password to Professor Cypher under those conditions. 

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• THENPC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Assassins Do It From Behind
  • Thank Yous: 126
22 Aug 2011 17:05 - 22 Aug 2011 17:26 #18 by THENPC (THENPC)
Replied by THENPC (THENPC) on topic Library Hours
My offer to those able to disenchant the Gabriel's door stands.

If you have issues trusting Baronial officials not to burgle you, then I doubt you can find it in you to trust anyone.

If part of your defense of this affront is that "Nobody has complained before" I can assure you on all I hold sacred, knowledge and literature included, that I would be down 50 gold, and you would be down a Gabriel's door had I heard of this restriction sooner.

That being said, for the sake of amiability, I will post the same 50 gold towards changing the password instead, except my terms are that the password goes to Professor Cypher, myself, and any other Chroniclerite who asks you. Those with knowledge of the password will act as chaperones for any others wishing to utilize the library while it remains 'merged' with your quarters. Any Chroniclerite asking you for the password is accepting responsibility for chaperoning others, and making oneself available to do so. Should Professor Cypher or any of the Chroniclerite church burgle you, I shall pay the cost of the missing items, again, from my own purse. This offer becomes null and void should somebody collect on the disenchant offer before you agree to this one.

Should this not be acceptable to you, then the only other words I will say on this topic will be "Thank you, good sorcerer, for the disenchantment, here is your 50 gold."

Adversus Nox Noctis,
Sir Lethias Discretion Nathaniel Peregrin Christopher Wrathchild VonRitter
Knight of Travance
Putting the Shiv in Chivalry Since 1202

Mortem facit omnes aequales, vitam facit omnes fratres
Vince The NPC;
RM, RPM, ST
Last edit: 22 Aug 2011 17:26 by .
  • Kelly
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 134
22 Aug 2011 17:28 #19 by Kelly (Kelly)
Replied by Kelly (Kelly) on topic Library Hours
I'm not sure why Father Haroldson and Quan Lui have personal quarters, especially since a "Cook's Room" is a bit of a farce. Many of the cooks of Travance are not sleeping there and upon hearing of a cooks room, are as confused as I. Maybe instead, it should just be another room in the inn for people to sleep in?

Dame Zafrin Yhatzi
Knight of Drega'mire

OOG: Kelly Osborne
  • Oakroot
  • We all hope for happy endings... right?
  • Thank Yous: 1
22 Aug 2011 17:40 #20 by Oakroot (OakRoot)
Replied by Oakroot (OakRoot) on topic Library Hours
Father Haroldson,
Is it specifically Jack Cypher you wish keep from knowing the password or is it everyone? This seems silly if your personal belongings are the problem maybe you should consider keeping the more valuable ones with you at all times or if it is things such as bedding and clothing I doubt any among us are going to take your robes. I may seem like I am being disrespectful however this is not my intention.
With Curiosity,

Brinden Oakroot
Vassal and Gaurd of Kaladonia
Student and Squire of Lady Elawyn Brightstar
Follower of Chronicler and Son of Arawyn
*OOG*
*Clark Livengood*
  • Belegchand
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 163
22 Aug 2011 18:11 #21 by Belegchand (mcalo)
Replied by Belegchand (mcalo) on topic Library Hours
I firmly agree with Sir Von Ritter on all he has remarked.  This is a major issue that must be amended in the near future, as I, as well as other scholars in Travance, tend to spend a good portion of time in the Library depending on various needs.  Additionally, I know that, whenever I try and teach an individual about crafting codices or how to research, I try and take them to the Baronial Library to give them a hands on lesson.  The current state of the Library prevented me from doing so at the Festival, and also nearly prevented me from learning things I wanted to from the Tome of Education.

I know I, personally, if given the passwords to access the room, would treat it with much respect, as I am sure all other Chroniclerites and Scholars would.

In the Name of the Weave,

OOG: Matt Calo - Marshal
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 Aug 2011 18:42 #22 by geezer (geezer)
It is the password to my personal quarters and as such, I will not give it out to those not staying there.  If it is known that various and diverse scholars have the password, how long do you think it would take for someone to extract it and loot our room.  This point will be moot by October at the latest, so live with it.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Erdrick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 161
22 Aug 2011 19:22 #23 by Erdrick (Erdrick)
Replied by Erdrick (Erdrick) on topic Library Hours
(Not Erdrick)
Its amazing how people in this town find ways to fight over the simplest things. I'm not sure what the problem is, I just looked and the cooks room was open for business, and the library was as empty as it should be; boring place that library. Now lets all stop wasting our young lives (no offense father) arguing over a moot point and spend all our money at my father's bar.

Darius R. M. F. Kane

(OOC. I checked with James and the summer camp is no longer an issue therefore the cooks room is open.)

Lord Erdrick Brightstar
Guardian of Belladeen
(Samuel Roberts)
  • Belegchand
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 163
22 Aug 2011 19:32 #24 by Belegchand (mcalo)
Replied by Belegchand (mcalo) on topic Library Hours
Darius,

While this may be the case, there are other matters that need to be attended to concerning this as well.

Namely the fact that Father Haroldson has assumed control over the Baronial Library, stating that even without the merge with the Cook's Room, he was holding a set list of hours.  I am curious as to this, because it was my belief that Professor Cypher, as Baronial Scribe, has direct control over all libraries under the control of the Barony.  Is this not actually the case?  That question, to me, needs to be answered, because I would like to know who the true controller is of the location I spend much of my time so I can ensure knowledge of any key words I might require to access it is up to date, and so I can aid other Scholars in their studies by showing them the area.

In the Name of the Weave,

OOG: Matt Calo - Marshal
22 Aug 2011 19:39 #25 by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF)
I apologize to all, i feel that i have caused this due to my questions. Being a recent member of the scholalary arts i was only wondering if i would be able to use the library this coming feast. I am a busy man with the cutting block and was not sure if i could follow the time scheduled allotted. once again many apology to my friends, nobles, and consumers.

Jurgur'mosh GoreTusk
free orc
(OOG-Matt F)
  • Jack
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Pi is exactly 3
22 Aug 2011 20:30 #26 by Jack (Keeperofdice)
High Scholar,
        I did assume as much as well, however I did not want to cause a public argument over a matter that could be settled privately.  However if The Count or The Baron, both being men who have seen to it that the library could indeed be brought into existence,  would weigh in on this matter it would be greatly appreciated. 

Ser Jack Siefer
Knight Of Drega'Mire
Sky Marshal

• Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
23 Aug 2011 00:31 - 23 Aug 2011 00:35 #27 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Library Hours
Subjects of Travance,

What strange and odd event that transpired between the room that Father Edwin normally stays in and the Library of Travance I have been told by my head scholars was a once in a life-time occurrence and is now over. Also normally the library is in my Manor, but due to reconstruction, it has of late been in a room inside the Dragons Claw Inn. This too will be sorted strait soon. A building will either be built for the Library, or the books will be moved back to my manor.

Father Edwin has inquired about becoming a librarian for Travance. If this does happen, it will include responsibilities of documenting and organizing the books of the library for ease of use, and not allocating hours of operation. The library is a baronial asset and should have the proper enchantments upon it so that it can be utilized at any hours or any days.

Count Sebastian Everest

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
Last edit: 23 Aug 2011 00:35 by .
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.683 seconds