A thought.

• Jack
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Pi is exactly 3
  • Thank Yous: 308
23 Apr 2013 16:07 #1 by Jack (Keeperofdice)
A thought. was created by Jack (Keeperofdice)
To all who call Travance home,

I have some thoughts that have been wandering through my head for quite some time that I would like to share with you. Ours is a life of constant struggle and dedication, one that we’ve chosen for ourselves. We live here on the outskirts of civilization constantly threatened by the great unknown. I cannot speak for all of you, but where I come from many would not be willing to take that risk.

Every day is a test. A constant battle of the many paths and opportunities set before us. In each of us there is a great capacity for good as well as evil. The time I’ve spent in Travance has taught me much about the world and about myself. I was very much guilty of being ignorant of the plight of others. Over time I grew to accept, understand, and change that.

It all starts with a scream. Out in the woods, a solitary yell for help. There are those who ignore those calls, dismissing it as not being their problem. That is where truly begins. Those screams are at the very foundation a plea for survival. A call that says: I don’t want to die. The very thing we ourselves in this frontier town fight for every day: our lives. I don’t expect doctors and alchemists to pick up swords and run out into the night. But we all must be constantly vigilant. If you the individual do not make the choice to go out and help them why do you think anyone else would?

I would not even go so far as say that I’m trying to insinuate that everyone needs to be a hero. What I am saying is to just be mindful of those around you. To help each other survive. We are here in this together. To that end there is something else that we must be mindful of as well. The majority of individuals that we often come into conflict with are either individuals who have chosen a life of trying to get what they want by taking it, or are merely just trying to survive like us.

Killing someone is a permanent end to a temporary situation. Too often have I seen individuals who accosted others, be cut open before my very eyes. In the heat of the moment blades are drawn and lives are lost. Finding out why an individual does something can help us fix the problem. They could be stealing for their family. Or coming from a town where there is no work to be done just looking to get by. Knight-Captain Magnus sets a fine example in this regard. Of course those who go against the law do need to be punished, serving their time or paying their fines. But when they are done we can leave them all to a better way of life by enabling them, by teaching them, and by guiding them. Everyone deserves a chance.

Do not let a moment filled with passion end the life of a father who was merely looking to get money to buy food for his children. Subdue them, get a guard to take them to jail, find out why they did it, and offer them a better way. Many people you will find unfortunately don’t know that there are other ways to survive. Help them to be better. Thank you for taking the time to read my musings.

Ser Jack Siefer
Knight Of Drega'Mire
Head of Research & Development of Kormyre
Sky Marshal
Captain of the K.A.S. Tarrasque

OOG: Gus M.

“Men learn from their failures. I prefer to learn from the failures of others..”
"Sometimes what the world doesn't need is a hero. Sometimes what it needs is a monster."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aria (Aria), Sannyiah Amarie Tempest - Na (Sannyiah Na), Zathir (Clevatus), Sir Takouri Ringi (Takouri Ringi), Augustus (OEBlaze), Annora (Karen), Angeliana (Angeliana), Arden (Shelby)
  • Augustus
  • Thank Yous: 56
23 Apr 2013 16:20 #2 by Augustus (OEBlaze)
Replied by Augustus (OEBlaze) on topic A thought.
While I agree wholeheartedly, I would like to make an addition. We should also be mindful of wildlife that wanders into our lands. Too many times has a pack of wolves been cut down for growling or boars for being in the way. Hunting is one thing, but I am referring to the needless killing of animals that are only looking to survive. Travance has plenty of Druids that can deal with the problem if need be.

Just adding my two cents.

John Smith
[hr][hr]Augustus Waters
Private in the Baronial Guard

[hr]OOG: Justin E. Torres
New Player Marshal
[hr]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sir Takouri Ringi (Takouri Ringi), Charani Yhatzi (MaliHH), Annora (Karen)
  • Zathir
  • He's Zahir, I'm Zathir, our sister Ze'Everywhere, she gets around.
  • Thank Yous: 42
23 Apr 2013 16:44 #3 by Zathir (Clevatus)
Replied by Zathir (Clevatus) on topic A thought.
I agree fully, to hastily we end the lives of those who we can reform. In death reform is no longer an option. We should not be so quick to make a final verdict on any life.

Gaia bless,
Squire Zathir

Zathir Ib'n Hatim Al Nawar

-Vassal of Drega'Mire

(OOG-Nathaniel Galloway)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Augustus (OEBlaze)
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
23 Apr 2013 16:51 #4 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic A thought.
Thank you for these words. Each of you.

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack (Keeperofdice), Augustus (OEBlaze), Croínamara (Jen), Annora (Karen)
  • LStarling
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Cursed Healer
  • Thank Yous: 20
24 Apr 2013 08:54 #5 by LStarling (Kwildar)
Replied by LStarling (Kwildar) on topic A thought.
I would like to add my voice in thanks alongside Lady Brightstar's.

Every needless death is the work of the Darkness. In death there is no repentance, reform or light. In mercy, Justice, can we make this world a better place, and bolster Goodness and Light.

--
Lawrence Starling -- IG
"Really, bee! I don't smell flower-y!"
Malcolm Mallardi -- OOG
  • Narcis
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "For every living person there are generations of dead. Which realm would you rather rule?"
  • Thank Yous: 450
24 Apr 2013 09:39 #6 by Narcis (ChrisR)
Replied by Narcis (ChrisR) on topic A thought.
An interesting sentiment. However, what shall be done to those who do not or cannot reform? To those who, even among chances given run to the dark? Surely mercy must run out at some point...

OOG:Chris R.
Storyteller / Marshal
  • Jack
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Pi is exactly 3
24 Apr 2013 10:25 #7 by Jack (Keeperofdice)
Replied by Jack (Keeperofdice) on topic A thought.
We may only show the individual the path they can choose to take. Ultimately it is up to them. If they run into the darkness then myself and many others would give chase. It is not a question of whether an individual can reform or not, but giving them the chance to do so. Everyone deserves at least a chance at redemption.

Ser Jack Siefer
Knight Of Drega'Mire
Sky Marshal

“Men learn from their failures. I prefer to learn from the failures of others..”
"Sometimes what the world doesn't need is a hero. Sometimes what it needs is a monster."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sannyiah Amarie Tempest - Na (Sannyiah Na)
  • Chesta
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 134
24 Apr 2013 11:26 #8 by Chesta (Kevin)
Replied by Chesta (Kevin) on topic A thought.
All life is important, no one man can be placed higher than another for life in its many forms is precious. It is true that some fall into darkness but they can be saved given an oppertunity. Death is the saddest of answers because it means that afterwords there is no hope for redemption and all that is left is what could have been. A second chance, can be the greatest gift we can give.

I am sorry if my input is not welcome. I just felt it must have been said.

Chesta Hartwick MazoKisei
  • LStarling
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Cursed Healer
24 Apr 2013 14:14 #9 by LStarling (Kwildar)
Avaiiden,
Mercy and Compassion never run out. The resolve of the hearts of those in whom it does is simply not as strong as some others. There are ways for every action to be Merciful and Compassionate, even when dealing with a punishment that would send someone to the gates to be judged by Galladell. If you wish to speak further on the subject, please seek me out next moon, I would be more than happy to discuss it with you, and any others who would be interested.

--
Lawrence Starling -- IG
Malcolm Mallardi -- OOG
  • Jack
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Pi is exactly 3
24 Apr 2013 14:32 #10 by Jack (Keeperofdice)
Replied by Jack (Keeperofdice) on topic A thought.
Archbishop Kwildar,

I have a philosophical question for you. I remember you told me that an Andorran must abide by the word of an enemy if they give it, unless they have previously broken their word. As the Archbishop I would ask of your guidance to myself and other. If mercy and compassion are indeed limitless, how do we give that same mercy and compassion to those who have broken their word previously? Faith? Blind Trust? If they are on their knees begging for forgiveness and another chance, even if they have already been given it and worked against us, at what point does it move from honest penance into deception?

Ser Jack Siefer
Knight Of Drega'Mire
Sky Marshal

• LStarling
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Cursed Healer
24 Apr 2013 15:25 #11 by LStarling (Kwildar)
Sir Cypher,

I believe you may be mis-remembering the word I used. The fourth tenant of Andorra is to parlay with an enemy, not abide by their word. There is certainly no requirement for us to tolerate and listen stoically and silently against false words, but that we Andorrans allow our foes the chance to entreat and speak with us unless they have previously proven false and deceitful.

This is an important distinction, as no person of the light should ever be forced to stand by silently and let words of hate be brought forth into this world.

As to the matter of your true question though, this is something I would prefer to discuss in private, but I will offer these words:

Hearts filled with Darkness can change. If a second chance is asked, I for one will almost always give it. If proof of devotion to repentance is required, I will ask it. I for one will not simply condemn a person who wishes to repent without cause. At times though, an act of devotion should be asked as proof, and if their hearts are the sort that one feels is so deceitful, perhaps asking them for an act of devotion before the gods of light themselves is not unwarranted. The gods, especially Galladell are better judges of the hearts of men, as they see all.

They do not judge blindly as we may.

--
Lawrence Starling -- IG
Malcolm Mallardi -- OOG
30 Apr 2013 13:20 #12 by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby)
Replied by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby) on topic A thought.
Sir Cypher

If I may; while mercy and compassion are two of our greatest guards against the dark, I would ask that all approach life or death decisions with not only mercy and compassion, but also with prudence and fortitude.

When I heard tell that a necromancer was allowed to slip through the net of baronial justice, having never even seen so much as a trial, I did not imagine the new life that poor misguided man would make for himself-- no, I imagined more victims, more orphans, more slaughtered villages, more families torn apart only to be stitched back together, and more flesh hungry abominations plaguing the fair people of Travance. I see this and I do not care for it.

I would not urge our daring and virtuous citizens to succumb to hatred and violence, but rather to face every night with vigilance and forethought. While I admit I am new to Travance, it is my home and I have dedicated myself and my house to protecting its citizens and upholding truth in all things. When a cry of fear rings out in the night we will rush to meet it. Travance is alone in this long night. With our bond as our fire and our reason as our guide we will make it through the darkness.

With Prudence and Fortitude

Magistrate of Travance
R. Tzaareth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Verrill Lebastion,
House Elder of House Bastion
Xeno-theologist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OOG: -Ben .H
Monster Marshal
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
30 Apr 2013 21:47 #13 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic A thought.
Mister Lebastion

You are misinformed on many levels, yet insist upon posting your ignorance.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
30 Apr 2013 22:38 #14 by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby)
Master Haroldson

I would happily hear where I am ever so tragically misinformed. If it suits your busy schedule please feel free to send me a private missive in regards to the particulars of my foolish observations and ramblings.

Magistrate of Travance
R. Tzaareth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Verrill Lebastion,
Xeno-theologist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monster Marshal
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
30 Apr 2013 23:29 #15 by geezer (geezer)
Mister Lebastion

I would spend hours writing. See me Friday night of the upcoming Baronial Feast and I will endeavor to educate you in this and similar matters, as well as dispel the veil of ignorance with which you have covered yourself on the matter.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

The following user(s) said Thank You: Aemorniel (Aemorniel)
30 Apr 2013 23:48 #16 by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby)
Master Haroldson

It would be an pleasure as always. I may have to make room in my schedule. I'd only ask that before you educate me on the failings of my own observations, you consider the recent and tragic fate of the small town of Campbell. Taking a lesson in vigilance and personal responsibility is the least any of us can do for the victims.

Magistrate of Travance
R. Tzaareth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Verrill Lebastion,
Xeno-theologist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monster Marshal
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 May 2013 10:17 #17 by geezer (geezer)
I always enjoy being made privy to the gratuitous assumptions of others, Mister Lebastion. Please see if you can make room in your busy schedule. Fortunately, my expertise and advice is not as highly in demand as yours, so I have no need to rejigger my schedule.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

03 May 2013 12:40 #18 by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby)
You have my sincerest apology if I have caused you the slightest inconvenience. I will value any and all council you wish to share with me come next moon.

Yours in Prudence and Fortitude

Magistrate of Travance
R. Tzaareth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Verrill Lebastion,
Xeno-theologist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monster Marshal
  • Ming Na
  • Strength Through Unity!
  • Thank Yous: 24
03 May 2013 15:03 #19 by Ming Na (Ming Na)
Replied by Ming Na (Ming Na) on topic A thought.

Former Ambassador of Ostcliff, Verrill Lebastion. You are hereby ordered to report to Mordovia at once. Your words lack form and decorum and even your apology to the revered Master Haroldson seems rather forced. While I would not subject you to the posh conditions of the Travance jail, perhaps if the conversations go poorly, you will spend some time in the wolf pits of Mordovia. There is a time and a place for banter. A public board is not such a place. We will talk shortly. Do not tarry.

In service to the people

Ming Nagata

OOC: Dan Gill
The following user(s) said Thank You: Verrill Lebastion (Wellby)
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.625 seconds