The Scorpion and the Frog

• GJSchaller
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
28 Jan 2014 09:52 #1 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
The Scorpion and the Frog was created by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
+++ Not Gideon +++

A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream, and the scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back. The frog asks, "How do I know you won't sting me?" The scorpion says, "Because if I do, I will die too."

The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream, the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown, but has just enough time to gasp "Why?"

Replies the scorpion: "Its my nature..."

~Carlos

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josephine (mferro54)
  • Kuo Kun
  • Thank Yous: 34
28 Jan 2014 10:52 #2 by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun)
Replied by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun) on topic The Scorpion and the Frog
Perhaps as they drowned together, the frog thought, 'and to carry you was mine.'

- Kuo Kun
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josephine (mferro54)
  • Angeliana
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • "Followers of Andorra believe foremost in the power of redemption, and that far better than a slain or imprisoned foe is a foe that turns from the path of evil and becomes good."
  • Thank Yous: 364
28 Jan 2014 11:13 #3 by Angeliana (Angeliana)
Replied by Angeliana (Angeliana) on topic The Scorpion and the Frog
And yet the frog chose to carry the scorpion, fully aware of the risks, just as the scorpion chose to sting the frog, full aware of the consequences.

Dame Angeliana Himmlisch
The Heart of Winterdark
Healer of Count Sebastien Everest
High Priestess & Champion of Andorra

Alt: D ~ Artist ~ Captain of The Crimson Trident ~
28 Jan 2014 11:16 #4 by Templar Aldric (Selrik)
Replied by Templar Aldric (Selrik) on topic The Scorpion and the Frog
I cannot help but see parallels in some of our current situations, as I am sure was Carlos' intent.

Templar Aldric
Champion Fisherman of Amanthyre
Prophet of the Holy Light
Templar of Valos

"The sacred writings are quite specific on the subject of killing, but are a bit fuzzier on the topic of kneecaps."

OOG - David McCormick.
  • Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 226
28 Jan 2014 13:46 - 28 Jan 2014 14:03 #5 by Goggs (coryan)
Replied by Goggs (coryan) on topic The Scorpion and the Frog
Wotcher,

As Mister Magellan so expertly demonstrated this Saturday: there is no upper limit to the number of ways in which we may interpret a decontextualized parable.

It follows that any interpretation is valid - which sadly means that each interpretation is entirely meaningless, as is the parable itself.

This is the linguistic equivalent of the following fallacy:

1 ÷ 0 = 2 ÷ 0
∴ 1 = 2

Just a bit of reasoning for you to bear in mind while studying the fables of the Kin.

For Queen and Country,

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

OOG: Cory W-S
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a Maul."
Last edit: 28 Jan 2014 14:03 by Goggs (coryan).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simon (BigZ), Narcis (ChrisR), Fortier (Greysect), Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
  • Narcis
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "For every living person there are generations of dead. Which realm would you rather rule?"
  • Thank Yous: 450
28 Jan 2014 16:15 #6 by Narcis (ChrisR)
Replied by Narcis (ChrisR) on topic The Scorpion and the Frog
Perhaps they both had death wishes. The Frog for willingly associating and carrying someone over who they knew was no good and the Scorpion for willingly going over though he knew he was unable to resist his natural ways.

The Scorpion truly limited himself by succumbing to his "nature" only those who think they cannot break their nature is stuck fulfilling it all the time.

I had heard a version of this, where the Scorpion manages to get across the river without stinging the frog but then goes to sting a third party and kills them. That puts a very different spin on this parable doesn't it?

-Ava

OOG:Chris R.
Storyteller / Marshal
  • Jack
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Pi is exactly 3
  • Thank Yous: 308
28 Jan 2014 16:21 #7 by Jack (Keeperofdice)
Replied by Jack (Keeperofdice) on topic The Scorpion and the Frog
What is the nature of man?

Ser Jack Siefer
Knight Of Drega'Mire
Head of Research & Development of Kormyre
Sky Marshal
Captain of the K.A.S. Tarrasque

OOG: Gus M.

“Men learn from their failures. I prefer to learn from the failures of others..”
"Sometimes what the world doesn't need is a hero. Sometimes what it needs is a monster."
28 Jan 2014 17:18 #8 by SlightlySaneBillliamm (SlightlySaneBillliamm)
Replied by SlightlySaneBillliamm (SlightlySaneBillliamm) on topic The Scorpion and the Frog
Or maybe the scorpion could swim
-Slightly Sane

"Slightly Sane Billliamm"

ooc: gene stern
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith_Stratton (Keith_Stratton), Narcis (ChrisR)
28 Jan 2014 17:35 #9 by Templar Aldric (Selrik)
Any Parable is one in which the meaning is subject to the insights it gives the recipient.

There does not need to be a 'right' answer as to what it means. It is a good parable if it makes the recipients think. To compare the meanings derived as conforming to some mathematical equation sadly misses the point.

One does not look upon a piece of artwork and analyze it's worth precisely, for the very reason a parable provides a subjective experience for the listener. To say that the emotions when listening to a well trained bard ply her trade, are meaningless just because someone else may experience it differently, is a mistaken conclusion.

To me, this parable warns us that the way we view the world is subjective. We cannot judge others based on our own standards, because their natures may be entirely different and their logic may be unrecognizable to us. We have faced Zealotry from within and without, for the past several months. The Valarian conquests, now with the Visagalis situation, and the ill will over the legitimacy of the worship of dark gods, all show that we must be wary of predicting the behavior of people whose beliefs are radically different than ours. To assume a logical response to a reasoned argument is only valid if thee share that same logic. As the Scorpion first reasons with the Frog then follows its nature dooming them both. 'Tis a warning, and a thought thee all would do well to ponder if it applies in thine life.

Templar Aldric
Templar of Valos

"The sacred writings are quite specific on the subject of killing, but are a bit fuzzier on the topic of kneecaps."

OOG - David McCormick.
  • Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 226
28 Jan 2014 18:41 #10 by Goggs (coryan)
Replied by Goggs (coryan) on topic The Scorpion and the Frog
Wotcher,

I believe you have confused "meaning" and "value" throughout your discourse, and have entirely misunderstood the purpose of my equations.

No matter - it isn't my place to force reason upon the unreasonable, only to make it available to those who would hear it.

For Queen and Country,

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

OOG: Cory W-S
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a Maul."
  • Kuo Kun
  • Thank Yous: 34
28 Jan 2014 19:12 #11 by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun)
Replied by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun) on topic The Scorpion and the Frog
Still, it's interesting to learn about talking animals. I'll have to try harder at making myself understood, next time I'm by a lake.

- Kuo Kun
28 Jan 2014 21:26 #12 by Templar Aldric (Selrik)
Master Goggins,

Thou hast beautifully proved my point. Thank thee.

Templar Aldric
Templar of Valos

OOG - David McCormick.
  • Dunn Ironwill
  • Do you require alchemy!?!
  • Thank Yous: 175
29 Jan 2014 08:01 #13 by Dunn Ironwill (JackDimms)
Replied by Dunn Ironwill (JackDimms) on topic The Scorpion and the Frog
Sir Cypher ,

To answer your question, the nature of man is simple. Struggle. I have witnessed it time and time again in both my village and Travance. We are all put here to suffer past our weakest moments, to fight and cause wars. They might not be huge ones as the one we had with Xualla, but if you truly think about it what does man strive for? To be recognized. Whether it be for honor or money, even for love. We are all at each others throats struggling in order to reach a point where we can either say we're the best or die an honorable death knowing what we've accomplished.

Professor Dunn Ironwill
Cenobite of Agaura
Occultist.
Vassal of Ostcliff

OOG: Dane Williams
29 Jan 2014 09:00 #14 by Razael Seiryn (Razael Seiryn)
Replied by Razael Seiryn (Razael Seiryn) on topic The Scorpion and the Frog
Mr. Dimms,

You are making solid progress in your ideals. Let you decide your passions and bring them to fruition using your own powers. Be mindful of recognition; Recognition implies that you put yourselves under. Seeking approval implies that you are forming a bond of weakness where those above you are required for ones' own personal goals. Never let the opinion of any mortal man deter you from your goals that you are truly passionate of. Only sidestep when a goal more important manifests, there is no cowardice in being smart about your choices. The long term war is equally important as the short term.

Be the best because you want money, Be the best because you want honor, Be the best because you want to have a woman worthy of you. Do not be the best because you want the world to accept you. That is a foolish notion. Discard it and continue, and you will have an opportunity to manifest greatness. Forcing recognition will only lead to ones' death; I have been taught this lesson personally for my pride and station. I would strongly deter you from making the same mistake.

Razael Seiryn

OOG: Daniel Osmun
The following user(s) said Thank You: Narcis (ChrisR), Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.584 seconds