Being "Common"

23 May 2014 16:49 #31 by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta)
Replied by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta) on topic Being "Common"
Easy Dominic. Be easy. Choice is different from having good choices. I would humbly put you to Mother Mariles's story at the Gaian Mass on paths taken and what they appear to be. It's too long to place here comfortably but please seek her and ask for her Mass Story from the most recent feast.

B.Drexel

Birgitta Drexel (Primary)
Commander of Training Baronial Militia
Blood Spirits (Cmd/Sgt)
Blue Dragoon

"Amateurs Practice Until They Get It Right; Professionals Practice Until They Can’t Get It Wrong"

Callisto Boyington (Alt)
Cav.

AKA Leslie McCormack
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
23 May 2014 16:53 - 23 May 2014 16:56 #32 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Being "Common"
***NOT CAELVAN***

Dominic,
Let me start by saying I don't care if you like me. I don't care if you respect me. What I care about is the common people of this age. I care if they go "we don't want to learn."

As to your village being destroyed I apologize. However after all of that happened you could have stayed elsewhere. You didn't have to come here to learn more. You could have moved to say..Kormyre and lived there. You could have went to another village. But you didn't. You came here to learn to be uncommon. You may not have had a choice in the beginning of your journey. But you did have choices to leave the life that you started with and you chose not to take the path of the common man.

So you can't say you are uncommon for having a tragic past. I have heard many common men tell me of their tragic pasts as a priest. They still became common men. So don't go saying that having a tragic past forces you to be uncommon. There are plenty of cases that say otherwise.

In truth,
Merikh
Priest of Glamachis, Teacher, Friend

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 23 May 2014 16:56 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
23 May 2014 16:54 #33 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic Being "Common"

Birgitta Drexel wrote: Easy Dominic. Be easy. Choice is different from having good choices. I would humbly put you to Mother Mariles's story at the Gaian Mass on paths taken and what they appear to be. It's too long to place here comfortably but please seek her and ask for her Mass Story from the most recent feast.

B.Drexel

Respectfully, do you mean Mother Maralas?

~V

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
  • Chesta
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 134
23 May 2014 20:43 #34 by Chesta (Kevin)
Replied by Chesta (Kevin) on topic Being "Common"
Merikh

Their you go again thinking you know how it all played out. Let me say now that I have become increasingly irritable lately so I may be prone to.... excited words. Now as was about to say.....

You don't truly know my past and quite frankly I don't give a damn about your opinion anymore. I would suggest you stop talking about any choice you "think" I might have had because let me tell you now your wrong. I have looked at every angle, went over every detail over a thousand times within my mind over these long years in Travanse and I could not have done a single thing differently know matter how you look at it. So please, if you don't mind being quite and quit judging my past and making assumptions, we can all leave this peacefully.

Chesta Hartwick MazoKisei
  • Jack
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Pi is exactly 3
  • Thank Yous: 308
23 May 2014 21:40 #35 by Jack (Keeperofdice)
Replied by Jack (Keeperofdice) on topic Being "Common"
Have temperance. For words can cut far deeper than any steel and leave wounds that no healer can mend.

Ser Jack Siefer
Knight Of Drega'Mire
Head of Research & Development of Kormyre
Sky Marshal
Captain of the K.A.S. Tarrasque

OOG: Gus M.

“Men learn from their failures. I prefer to learn from the failures of others..”
"Sometimes what the world doesn't need is a hero. Sometimes what it needs is a monster."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zathir (Clevatus)
23 May 2014 22:24 #36 by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta)
Replied by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta) on topic Being "Common"
Yes, thank you Valentine. My pen seemed to reject her name no matter what I did.

B. Drexel

Birgitta Drexel (Primary)
Commander of Training Baronial Militia
Blood Spirits (Cmd/Sgt)
Blue Dragoon

"Amateurs Practice Until They Get It Right; Professionals Practice Until They Can’t Get It Wrong"

Callisto Boyington (Alt)
Cav.

AKA Leslie McCormack
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
23 May 2014 23:24 - 23 May 2014 23:26 #37 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Being "Common"
***NOT CAELVAN***

Fair enough Dominic. I will stop bringing up your past. Just think on that I may know more than you think I do. Maybe not about you. But about countless others. However with that said I will end this posting in my usual manner.

If you are a common person and wish to learn more, please seek Ilana and I out next week and next weeks end. We will teach you. We will help you. Let us all walk this path of learning.

Let us all walk this path of enlightenment together.

-Merikh
Priest of Galmachis, Teacher, Friend

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 23 May 2014 23:26 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
23 May 2014 23:47 #38 by Matrim Nakayama (Matrim)
Replied by Matrim Nakayama (Matrim) on topic Being "Common"
As delightfully specious as I find most of these arguments to be, I'm a bit perplexed.

Dominick, you revere the simplistic life of the "common" man, but it seems safe to assume that most of the horrible things that have happened in your life could have been completely avoided if there were decidedly fewer commoners involved and a number more heroes. This seems quite plain to me, as so many actions in Travance have hung on an edge as thin as a razor. In many cases, had there been one less hero and one more commoner, none of us would be alive right now to even have this conversation.

I also find your declamations of fatalism to be odd as well, for if you truly had no choices in the path that led you here, I would expect you to be rather more accepting of your fated place in life.

Befuddledly yours,

Matrim Nakayama

OOG Nathan K.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caelvan (Caelvan)
  • Kuo Kun
  • Thank Yous: 34
25 May 2014 22:38 #39 by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun)
Replied by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun) on topic Being "Common"
A common person, like a smith who deals in only mundane materials? So I see...

I have mentioned before, a difference between what were the Empires of the East and Travance. Imagine: a mighty monster come to attack the countryside. Odds are 10,000 to 1 for a common person to win this battle.

In Travance, the answer is: find the hero, the rare man or woman, and, with luck, the righteous will prevail.

In what was the East, the answer is: send 10,000. And this had been done, and the Empires, too, had thrived in their time.

What a common person had been was numerous and replaceable. Nothing special. So it is no surprise to hear this about common people again.

There is virtue in the small. A tree is mighty, the grasses low. In a storm, the wind breaks branches; lightning strikes trunks; the grass bends, is trampled down, and in such state: lives on.

To my philosophy, I offer no sureties. Know that the choices for good or ill - regardless of how large or small the effect - are oftentimes universal. A moral person is no less moral with or without power. And conversely, for the greedy, overambitious, or selfish, as well.

A common person or a hero - remembered for what they have done; I think in these cases, truth suffices.

Kuo Kun Shen Leung
  • Fortier
  • Thank Yous: 51
26 May 2014 00:21 - 26 May 2014 00:22 #40 by Fortier (Greysect)
Replied by Fortier (Greysect) on topic Being "Common"
(OOG: No Signature Given)

Gaze into your navel and you gaze up Glomm's ass.

Paper is not cseap gaje. Not where I have csravelled. -G.T

Viktor Zalost, owner of Jani Jo's Magical Services.
OoG: Sean Hallahan
Last edit: 26 May 2014 00:22 by Fortier (Greysect).
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.530 seconds