Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?

• Dunn Ironwill
  • Do you require alchemy!?!
  • Thank Yous: 175
09 Jun 2014 09:03 #1 by Dunn Ironwill (JackDimms)
Okay How Do You Southerns Do It? was created by Dunn Ironwill (JackDimms)
It's just so bloody hot outside.... I mean not like a regular spring day, where there's a breeze. No it's just hot.... You can't do anything when it's so hot and sunny outside You can't hunt, you can't go out and fight without carrying an entire jug of water on your back, you can't even go ice fishing.... Someone tell me how to beat the heat.... Please... I feel like I'm gonna die....

Signed, With Sweat,
Jack Dimms.

Professor Dunn Ironwill
Cenobite of Agaura
Occultist.
Vassal of Ostcliff

OOG: Dane Williams
09 Jun 2014 09:13 #2 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
Switch from animal skins and wool to linen.

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
  • Chesta
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 134
09 Jun 2014 09:23 #3 by Chesta (Kevin)
Replied by Chesta (Kevin) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
If you think this is hot, go to Amon Zad this time of year, it will melt your bones.

But in all seriousness I think I can might help, something we did in my village is that if we needed to travel we would do so by night. Everything gets colder and more tolerable at night so it will be easier to go out and hunt. Also what we would do is that we would dip our head wraps ins water, so it will help keep us cool in the sun and if you really need a drink you can squeeze out the water it soaked up for a drink.

Chesta Hartwick MazoKisei
  • Rowan Uidhir
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Beans, beans, the musical fruit...
  • Thank Yous: 145
09 Jun 2014 10:16 #4 by Rowan Uidhir (Teresa)
Replied by Rowan Uidhir (Teresa) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
Hi Jack! I'm not sure where you live in the proper, but Travance has a lot of lakes and rivers that are clean, cold, and really nice to swim or wade in.

If that doesn't work and you have some extra coin lying around, buy some frozen treats from the vendors and chefs in town. Travance is full of wonderful delicacies that can help you beat the heat!

-Rowan

(OOG) Teresa Amore
  • Jorik
  • Thank Yous: 45
09 Jun 2014 10:23 #5 by Jorik (rjvanscoten)
Replied by Jorik (rjvanscoten) on topic Re:Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
My solution thus far has been to walk around naked.

Jorik Wulfsbane
Man of the North
Private of the Baronial Guard
Vassal to Pendarvin
OOG: Jeremiah V.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Fie! (Triminac), Erik Silverfang (ASchleicher)
09 Jun 2014 10:35 #6 by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf)
Replied by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf) on topic Re:Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
Drink water and stay in the shade. It's nice under many of the trees in the proper.

Kanas Silverfang

OOG: Jeremy Schwartz
09 Jun 2014 10:51 #7 by Templar Aldric (Selrik)
Replied by Templar Aldric (Selrik) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
And to add to that my son, stay away from swamps. Drega'mire is famous for them and the proximity of them makes the humidity soar. Its like being held over a steaming kettle at times.

I suggest imbibing plenty of fluids, the Pubs are nice I hear.

Templar Aldric
Champion Fisherman of Amanthyre
Prophet of the Holy Light
Templar of Valos

"The sacred writings are quite specific on the subject of killing, but are a bit fuzzier on the topic of kneecaps."

OOG - David McCormick.
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
09 Jun 2014 11:10 #8 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
Or try not to hug fire giants.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sister Danae (Danae), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
  • Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 226
09 Jun 2014 11:26 #9 by Goggs (coryan)
Replied by Goggs (coryan) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
Wotcher Mister Dimms,

You have, indeed, hit on a rather important and by no means trivial question - staying cool in this blasted heat is certainly a difficult business!

If it's any use to you, there are numerous accounts of explorers taking their helmets and soaking them in water as a solution to the problem. Of course, you will want to exercise some care in doing so, as a saturated piece of headgear will be rather heavy, and may cause you some discomfort to wear! A light wetting, on the other hand, should cause little noticeable change in the weight of your equipment, and ought to suffice to keep you cool.

The exact phenomena that allow this technique to work may be a little sophisticated to explain here, but if you have any success using it, I'd be delighted to hear about your experiences.

Very good Mister Dimms - I wish you the very best of luck, and should hope that you might now look forward to a little relief from the regional weather.

For Queen and Country,

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

OOG: Cory W-S
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a Maul."
  • Not An Assassin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I'm not a man fighting against monsters, I'm a monster fighting against the world as it reclaims itself.
  • Thank Yous: 344
09 Jun 2014 11:36 #10 by Not An Assassin (Salem)
Replied by Not An Assassin (Salem) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
To add to Rayven's note, try not to get my dagger stuck into your skin. The blade tends to burn a bit too much. A nice alternative is for me to slash you about with my sword made of meteoric ice.

However, on a more serious note, I believe, though am not certain, that the heat and energy given from our favorite little fire circle in the sky tends to like to store itself within darker colored clothing, with black clothing being the worst...Trust me, I know.
It appears that lighter colored cloth is better used to combat the heat as it doesn't store as much of the heat. And Valentine's idea of linen is a good one.
You should also consider acquiring or making some sort of water skin made from any kind of hide (deer, goat, cow). Nothing is better after a battle in the heat than something to drink, preferably water or booze.
It may also help to keep your hair as short as you do.

I tell you these things to help make sure that you are always good to go for when Travance or anywhere else, come to think of it may need you. And maybe others can get something out of the post as well.

Thank you for asking this question, it is rather hot nowadays.

-Justé

Salem Noire, Lieutenant Commander of the Blood Spirits

Lieutenant Leon Drekken of House Zezima

OOG-Reece Belmont
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Annora
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • SKRAW!
  • Thank Yous: 316
09 Jun 2014 12:00 #11 by Annora (Karen)
Replied by Annora (Karen) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
You don't.
You hide and wait for it to go away.
Or just live in the lake.

[hr]
OOG: Karen Y
Card Raptor
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings), Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
09 Jun 2014 13:05 #12 by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay)
Replied by Dame Clytie Silverfang (itsgonnabemay) on topic Re:Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
I highly suggest living in lakes. Never have I gone wrong in the blistering heat so long as one was around.

Dame Clytie Silverfang, the Pegasus
Knight of Travance
Master of the Mage's Guild

OOG- May Leonard
Kitchen Staff
  • Seámus Aeislin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Glaine ár gcroí! Neart ár ngéag! Beart de réir ár mbriathar!
  • Thank Yous: 30
09 Jun 2014 13:33 #13 by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin)
Replied by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
(The parchment appears to be spattered lightly with ale and the handwriting unsteady, clearly written while intoxicated.)

My suggestion Jack,

Stop wearing bifurcated leg warmers. Why wear pants when you can be civilized and wear a kilt? Wonderful, all-purpose garment that it is, its warm in the Autumn and Winter and cool in the Spring and Summer. Plus, its wool, so you won't feel awkward in Southron fabrics like linen and cotton. Get yourself a Kilt, burn your pants and never look back. Trust me, you'll thank me in a matter of minutes.

IG:
Main - Sir Seámus Aeislin of the Clan MacInnes

Alt - Boryev Solvei, Baro of the Solvei Kampania
#bigtomdidnuffinwrong
OOG - Shane Johnson
Monster Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keith_Stratton (Keith_Stratton), Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
  • Sindarion
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • "I hope you all enjoy iambic heptameter."
  • Thank Yous: 318
09 Jun 2014 21:47 #14 by Sindarion (Steven SA)
Replied by Sindarion (Steven SA) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
Recently, I woke up under attack, got really angry, and found that my blood got heated up almost to a boil. I felt fine, but it did get uncomfortably hot after a while. Probably ruined my leather vest. After that, I don't think I'll be complaining about the heat any time soon.
Not that I am recommending your solution being heating your blood to a boil. That is a bad idea. But it does make sense why I see so many angry northmen! It's certainly a good way to keep warm!

Sincerely,

~ Knight Morgan "Sindarion" Sinclair
[strike]Vagabond[/strike] Harper

OOG:
Steven Sebastian Amore
  • Grimkjell Eirson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "You! Small man! Hold my furs while I kill this."
  • Thank Yous: 500
09 Jun 2014 22:19 #15 by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings)
Replied by Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
You endure it, cousin. You let the heat ignite your anger and you sit beneath a tree, like a dog waiting for its pack.

That or you do what I do and spend most of the time wearing a vest and nothing else. Or make some fancy elf hold your furs, I hear that works too.

IG: Sir Grimkjell Eirson
Knight of Pendarvin
Guardian of Mercy

OOG: William Hannings
Land system Marshal
09 Jun 2014 23:18 #16 by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge)
Replied by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
(The parchment is ale-stained, written in a very shaken hand,) stay inside the taverns and inns of the proper, dae a proper pub tour, and keep ooouta the heaaattt until da dark falls, then wear an hat. If ye don't wanna do eeeit, stay under a tree like the Druids and dryads....rspct.

B.r.

OOC Name - Martin Bridge
09 Jun 2014 23:34 #17 by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf)
Replied by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
Dimms,

Find me, and I can show you good trees to rest under. It's better than boiling under the hot sun.

Kanas Silverfang

OOG: Jeremy Schwartz
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
10 Jun 2014 02:19 #18 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
Silk undergarments

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Dunn Ironwill
  • Do you require alchemy!?!
  • Thank Yous: 175
10 Jun 2014 04:46 #19 by Dunn Ironwill (JackDimms)
Replied by Dunn Ironwill (JackDimms) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
All splendid ideas! I had completely forgotten that I was hexed a long while ago. I've been running around Vindholm for the last couple of days telling people to hand me their drinks, only to pour them on my head! Ahahahaha!

Whoever gave me this blessing I thank you so very much! You've kept a very hot Northman alive and feeling great!

By the way, I like Jorik's idea of walking around naked. It seems like a good plan.

Signed, With Truth,
Jack Dimms.

Professor Dunn Ironwill
Cenobite of Agaura
Occultist.
Vassal of Ostcliff

OOG: Dane Williams
10 Jun 2014 08:53 #20 by Templar Aldric (Selrik)
Replied by Templar Aldric (Selrik) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
Thou dost mean walking around naked seems like a good plan for thee. I sincerely doubt tis a good plan for the rest of Travance!

Templar Aldric
Champion Fisherman of Amanthyre
Prophet of the Holy Light
Templar of Valos

"The sacred writings are quite specific on the subject of killing, but are a bit fuzzier on the topic of kneecaps."

OOG - David McCormick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sister Danae (Danae), geezer (geezer), Faila (Faila), Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings), Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
10 Jun 2014 11:55 #21 by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby)
Replied by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
In a word,
Less layers. If you are still hot, less layers. I've fought the wytchwood wearing nothing but my divine gifts. Clothing is a luxury and a courtesy, not a necessity.

Magistrate of Travance
R. Tzaareth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Verrill Lebastion,
House Elder of House Bastion
Xeno-theologist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OOG: -Ben .H
Monster Marshal
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
10 Jun 2014 12:46 #22 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
Having visited the northern climes in my youth, I can state that none wear furs in the summer months. People wear linen and cotton as a rule, though silks, as I stated, wick away moisture. It seems in Travance, extremes in dress are the norm. Why wear leather armor during the day if one does not expect a serious fight? Why wear a leather or steel helm in the sun?

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
10 Jun 2014 15:14 #23 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
Edwin, please bear in mind that furs and leather for a Northman are not just about "fashion." Many Northerners wear fur to distinguish something about themselves and as such, do actually wear some piece of it year round. In some cases, it is something special to them as their first kill. Yes, many wear them to keep warm, but this tends to serve a secondary purpose to the personal reasons for each piece of fur they wear. The furs that adorn my tunic are the strips left over from my first hunt in Asguard - a Tamaril boar that I was told to hunt and kill before I was to be considered a man by my fellow tribesman. It's hide was also used to construct my first leather breastplate. While I do not carry as many furs as some of the other Northerners in this town, and no longer kill for sport, some Northerners see their furs as a matter of pride and honor. Please do not insult that.

Jack, on a more serious note, take some strips of fur from your most prized fur and use it to have a seamstress sew it to a tunic you can wear in the summer. Waterskins are a life saver, and please stop dumping precious ale over your head to cool off. Try water, it costs less, and irritates people less when you take their drink to dump on your head.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dunn Ironwill (JackDimms)
  • Magnus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In fearful Day, In Raging Night...
  • Thank Yous: 483
10 Jun 2014 17:01 #24 by Magnus (hippy g0th)
Replied by Magnus (hippy g0th) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
A light head wrap soaked in water under a wide brimmed hat can do wonders

Matthew Majchrzak

ST

Lord General Magnus

"Not Dead Yet!"
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
10 Jun 2014 17:18 - 10 Jun 2014 18:15 #25 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
***not caelvan***

While I agree with soaking your head wrap in water, I have done it myself when back in the deserts, I disagree with Rayven. Pouring water on your head puts more in the ground than on your head. Better to soak a head wrap in water and use the water you saved not dumping on your head, but instead to drink.

-M

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 10 Jun 2014 18:15 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
  • Kuo Kun
  • Thank Yous: 34
10 Jun 2014 17:41 - 10 Jun 2014 17:42 #26 by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun)
Replied by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun) on topic Okay How Do You Southerns Do It?
Spicy food and hot drinks. Since heat cannot be beaten, join in!

-Kuo Kun
Last edit: 10 Jun 2014 17:42 by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun).
The following user(s) said Thank You: rivanyasi (rivanyasi)
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.758 seconds