Mass

• geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
14 Jun 2014 15:11 #1 by geezer (geezer)
Mass was created by geezer (geezer)
There will be a Mass of Light held immediately after the opening remarks at the June Baronial Feast.

It will be held at Pendarvin. Priests of the Light gods are invited to participate and give a sermon on a topic of their choice

The topic of my sermon will be "Give us the old time religion."

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
14 Jun 2014 20:26 #2 by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta)
Replied by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta) on topic Mass
Lore master Haroldson,

A couple of questions regarding this Mass.

I have heard you have been Excommunicated from the Church of Light. If so doesn't this make you persona non grata within the church?

If it does make you such would it then be heresy for a Priest or Priestess within the church to attend?

If thus us not so or my understanding is flawed someone please advise.

Cmd. B. Drexel

Birgitta Drexel (Primary)
Commander of Training Baronial Militia
Blood Spirits (Cmd/Sgt)
Blue Dragoon

"Amateurs Practice Until They Get It Right; Professionals Practice Until They Can’t Get It Wrong"

Callisto Boyington (Alt)
Cav.

AKA Leslie McCormack
14 Jun 2014 20:30 #3 by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta)
Replied by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta) on topic Mass
(Hastily tacked on page)

Oh forgot the third question. Apologies

Does this mean this act is condoned or approved by Pendarvin Nobility since it will be hosted there?

Cmd. B. Drexel

Birgitta Drexel (Primary)
Commander of Training Baronial Militia
Blood Spirits (Cmd/Sgt)
Blue Dragoon

"Amateurs Practice Until They Get It Right; Professionals Practice Until They Can’t Get It Wrong"

Callisto Boyington (Alt)
Cav.

AKA Leslie McCormack
  • GJSchaller
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
14 Jun 2014 20:49 #4 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Mass
It is not condoned by the Nobility.

Haroldson, hold your gathering outside the Statehouse. I will not condone someone who is banned from performing mass by the Church of Koromyre from doing so within the house of a Noble of Koromyre.

In service to the King,

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
15 Jun 2014 14:05 #5 by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby)
Replied by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby) on topic Mass
Master Haroldson,

As a Xeno-Theologist I admit no small interest in your definition of "The Old Religion". Given the command of Sir Weaveforger, I am curious as to the new location of this gathering.

Though I must inquire out of curiosity alone, what is your policy on other faiths (as in those who are not defined as "the church of the light") participating within this mass?

Magistrate of Travance
R. Tzaareth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Verrill Lebastion,
House Elder of House Bastion
Xeno-theologist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OOG: -Ben .H
Monster Marshal
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
15 Jun 2014 15:53 #6 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Mass
All may attend, Verrill. Priests from unaligned gods, Brazen, Chronicler, and Enax may speak. No Priests ordained to the Dark Pantheon may speak.

The Mass will be held in the common area bounded by the dwellings of Pendarvin. An altar is already present.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

15 Jun 2014 16:41 - 15 Jun 2014 16:41 #7 by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl)
Replied by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl) on topic Mass
We have an alter? When did Pendarvin get an alter?

Thalia Stonebar Burdorn
Consul of Kaladonia
Warden of the Phocus
Ambassador to Calasvorin
Manager, Dragon's Claw Inn;

OOG: Abby Leib
Last edit: 15 Jun 2014 16:41 by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl).
  • Atrus
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 92
15 Jun 2014 18:41 #8 by Atrus (Atrus)
Replied by Atrus (Atrus) on topic Mass
So, anyone can attend, and any priest may speak, including those faiths held true by Gaaldaron which has been more than just a scourge to all of Kormyre. The excommunicated "priest of Valos" is organizing this event, who as Sir Weaveforger put it is "banned from performing mass" and as Bishop Chance has decreed may not proselytize or preach. And yet someone "ordained to the Dark pantheon" -whatever the hell that means- may not speak, although the location of said gathering is outside because the Nobility of Travance will not have the excommunicated party "preach" or sermonize within their hall. However, "priests ordained to the Dark Pantheon,"-whom none have been banned from or excommunicated to my knowledge from any churches including the Light Church- are legally allowed to preach, proselytize, worship and aid Travance and Kormyre as has been done for some time, are now being told by the excommunicated that they should not be speaking at this heretical gathering...

Are you all sure that this isn't being held by those "ordained to the Dark Pantheon"? Because it sounds a little suspicious to me, I would greatly like to know who enforces the Church laws here. As I haven't been excommunicated from the Light Church, and actually frequent it, despite me having "sold my soul," and the like, I just wish to know which group will be dealing with this "Mass", Templars, the clerics, the Priests or Priestesses, (those not excommunicated of course), or would the Paladins or even the Town Guard be the ones whom have jurisdiction over said proceedings. Might we be graced with another Angel of Valos here to yet again deliver another message which his "servant" will argue about and ignore?

I'm not sure why anyone of my faith wouldn't be allowed to speak, as we're currently rebuilding Travance and frankly Edwin, you and yours are far better at destroying your own church, (when you were part of it), that your homage to the Lords of Darkness and Shadows are truly, profound acts of devotion.

This "Old time religion" thing does however remind of when all the Gods were represented in our monastery here in Travance, when there were altars to Malyc, and Valos, Aguarra and Andorra, and all the others, Light, Dark, and everything in between.

This mockery of faith is truly inspirational and I hope that there will be a great turnout to witness this comedy of gross errors. It is beyond regrettable that I will be unable to be present for this tragedy of faith and judgment; please, Chroniclerites take note for I will pay good coin for a good and detailed copy of this "good" story.

P.S.
Additionally anyone so interested, I have divined more information about the Cult of Visagalis, which both the Bishop and I have been working on tirelessly, please send missive to Mordavia, (PM me), or speak with me in person when I arrive in Travance Proper again.

~Atrus
"Only those who have endured the greatest suffering can become the greatest people."

John
Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aria (Aria), Dimetri Yhatzi (DMvanhart)
  • Rowan Uidhir
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Beans, beans, the musical fruit...
  • Thank Yous: 145
15 Jun 2014 20:45 - 16 Jun 2014 13:56 #9 by Rowan Uidhir (Teresa)
Replied by Rowan Uidhir (Teresa) on topic Mass
Master Haroldson, I believe I know a Magic[strike]-Magic [/strike]song of my cousin's that goes along with the theme of your sermon. I don't normally attend mass, but perhaps town members will hear it on the road and here and there.

Signed and Sung
Rowan Uidhir

(OOG) Teresa Amore
Last edit: 16 Jun 2014 13:56 by Rowan Uidhir (Teresa). Reason: oog: there's a scribble on one word
The following user(s) said Thank You: geezer (geezer), Croínamara (Jen)
  • PIT DAWWWWWWG
  • Good luck, TO ME! Wah ha ha!
  • Thank Yous: 68
16 Jun 2014 00:11 #10 by PIT DAWWWWWWG (Aldous)
Replied by PIT DAWWWWWWG (Aldous) on topic Mass
That is enough attacking on Father Haroldson's character. I could care less for Church politics, I judge what I see and how it measures to my standards, not to any god's, and I have seen Edwin perform far greater services to this land than any number of your dark clergy misfits, combined. One of your number have already been executed due to their flouting of our laws, and another is well on their way, so don't pretend that you're some benevolent force that only cares for rebuilding their damaged reputation. You have your agendas, and demonizing other groups is the best way to get eyes off of you while you fulfill them.

Haroldson has not the tolerance to build himself a deluded army of heretics, he's simply a teacher who wants to share the information of the topics he knows best, and I can only imagine how much he knows on religion. I stand by his endeavors, and I will welcome anyone's attempts to disrupt his lessons with base derision. That way I can take my general frustration out on them.

I'm not as stupid as you think I am,
But I AM as strong as I think I am.

Hengis Grumblegut
The Pit Dog
((OOG: Keath Geranios))
The following user(s) said Thank You: geezer (geezer), Lathiel (Lathiel)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
16 Jun 2014 01:05 - 16 Jun 2014 01:06 #11 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Mass
***NOT CAELVAN***

I'm still interested in Birgitta Drexel's questions. I know the third one was answered. But what about the first two?

And how far back are we going for this "old time religion" just wondering so I know what to expect if/when I attend this preaching.

-M

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 16 Jun 2014 01:06 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
16 Jun 2014 02:37 #12 by Chris McKenzie (cgmckenzie)
Replied by Chris McKenzie (cgmckenzie) on topic Mass
From the desk of Grobspit Snaggletooth G.D.S.

I am concerned with the consequences that will befall those that worship the almighty might and authority of Enax if they were to attend such a gathering. It appears that all who are in authoritative positions in regards to this matter are opposed to the mass and whatever preaching he has to pontificate, so what authority does Edwin have to disregard the ruling of the gods and nobles!? As I understand it, going against such authority is heresy!

Can a member of the Enaxian clergy speak with conviction as to how we more disciplined shall proceed?

Ever so humbly,

Grobspit Snaggletooth G.D.S.

OOG: Chris
IG: Benjamin Daimler
IG: Grobspit Snaggletooth G.D.S
  • Bat Cooper
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 74
16 Jun 2014 06:21 #13 by Bat Cooper (Cassius23)
Replied by Bat Cooper (Cassius23) on topic Mass
Edwin,

You are sowing discord in your desires.

You long for the days when we had elaborate structures, both physical as well as spiritual and the enemies were as clear as glass.

You long to strike out at those people who you feel slighted you.

I know those feelings, better than you may realize.

You have so much potential in you, Edwin. During the months when so much harm came to Pendarvin you stood with so few to keep the land together. You did and continue to do the hard and tireless work that without it Pendarvin would be little more than a sea of Demons.

You have so much potential. Potential that you are squandering. Potential that you are squandering by engaging in this divisive speech. Potential that you are squandering by focusing on your own power and prestige instead of the simple acts of kindness that I know that you are capable of.

As someone who sees both the good and the bad in you, I beg you to embrace not the "Grand Path" of "Glory" and "Honor", but the little path of humility, of compassion.

IC: Bat Cooper

OOC: James Jones
MM
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atrus (Atrus)
  • Narcis
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "For every living person there are generations of dead. Which realm would you rather rule?"
  • Thank Yous: 450
16 Jun 2014 11:56 #14 by Narcis (ChrisR)
Replied by Narcis (ChrisR) on topic Mass
You always know how to make everyone angry Haroldson.

How wonderfully amusing, that in this day of "balance" of "light" and "dark" that still an enemy arises.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it seems that all that has changed are the teams.

-Ava

OOG:Chris R.
Storyteller / Marshal
  • Atrus
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 92
16 Jun 2014 17:09 #15 by Atrus (Atrus)
Replied by Atrus (Atrus) on topic Mass
Of course there are ulterior motives, everyone has ulterior motives. It is stupid to think that they do not. But this goes both ways. I have merely pointed out that not only has the Bishop Excommunicated the good "father" but an Angel sent from Valos told him he was wrong in his ways. If this is somehow an attack on his character then perhaps I am in need of instruction.

What I have seen so far is that there has been quite a lot of vile demonizing and many who incite violence, many who refuse to "tolerate" us. It is my purpose to serve my God, just as it is the purpose of many others to serve there own respected deities. So, Hengis, of course I have my motives, currently the one which is being observed is to point out hypocrisy, I hope he does preach and do what he intends, because his corruption serves as a great show of devotion to the Great Deceiver, by all means, allow the heretic to preach, it only serves as a boon to my God. Those who profess to be "good" and "just" who allow blasphemies to be committed, who allow atrocities to be committed, who relish the killing of their enemies, who allow the laws to be anything but impartial-all these acts serve my God, all these acts serve the Dark Pantheon.

Now if the Church decides to do nothing, then clearly they are not nearly as strong as they think or they choose to endorse his acts, (of course I am not speaking of Bat Cooper, he has made his intentions known), if the Nobility chooses to not step in, then they are embracing the heretical preachings of one who has been excommunicated.

So many of the most pious and devout have turned completely from their paths and were Heralds of the Dark Gods, Champions of Chaos, Death and Slaughter. Hengis, I encourage people to be who they are, and point out the hypocrisies which I see. I worship my God because He is the most prevalent force in Travance, and the patron to so many more Travancians than they realize, I worship this God openly and proudly, but so many of you do as well, yet claim not to; they claim to serve the Light, or to serve "justice" and uphold the laws of these lands, to be good and loving individuals. Yet how often can one hear "I'm bored, we should kill something," "I wish there was something to fight," how often one can see so many here taken glee in the killing of another, relishing the moment when they put down their enemy.

Ulterior motives you say, perhaps. Perhaps I wish to live as well. My door is always open, and anyone is welcome to hear me speak, all are encouraged to listen and engage me in conversation. I am not a saint, nor will I ever be, however, being a follower of the Great Deceiver has allowed me to see through the lies of this land, and speaking the truth seems to upset so many here. I need not lie, because the truth is far more damning and damaging than any lie I can think of.

Yours in Faith and Service,

~Atrus
"Only those who have endured the greatest suffering can become the greatest people."

John
Marshal
  • Kuo Kun
  • Thank Yous: 34
16 Jun 2014 17:43 #16 by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun)
Replied by Kuo Kun (Kuo Kun) on topic Mass
But there is also another important question:

Will there be food or other refreshments served?

-Kuo Kun
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bladesworn (Bladesworn), Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf)
  • Morgan
  • Thank Yous: 20
16 Jun 2014 18:06 #17 by Morgan (faewinds)
Replied by Morgan (faewinds) on topic Mass
Master Haroldson,

Sadly, I won't be able to attend the feast this moon, but reading this confused me a little bit, and I was wondering if you could clarify something for me?

Excommunication is (and this definition may be wrong, I wasn't paying as much attention as I could have when Verrill was giving this lecture) when someone is cut off from the church by the order of the church. From the missive the Bishop posted, that's what happened to you.

My actual question is, I guess, can you ban the dark clergy from your mass? 'Cause they have power within the Church and you sort of...don't?

I'm sorry again, I'm not trying to step on any toes, I'm honestly just confused and would greatly appreciate any clarification you could give me.

Morgan

PS: Could you clarify what you mean by 'Old time religion', Master Haroldson? Because the 'old time religion' I've stumbled across has a problem with a great many things that are abundant in Travance, such as Dark Clergy, Wild Mages, and Healers. Any clarification would be reassuring. ~MB

[img

Player: Mary Rose M.
Main: Morgan Cooper, High Priestess Of Glomm, Find Gregory Ya Gahdang Self
Alt: Fiona Hesperus, SAYTR NOT ANTHROPORMORPHIC PERSONIFICATION OF GOOD, Physician, Scholar
Alt: Elizabeth Spencer, Stonefall
Alt: Briar, Stonefall, Druid
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Jun 2014 19:14 - 17 Jun 2014 13:58 #18 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Mass
Let me answer a few questions"

<<I have heard you have been Excommunicated from the Church of Light. If so doesn't this make you persona non grata within the church?>>

My understanding of the Canons of the Church indicate there is no statuts of "persona non grata."

<<If it does make you such would it then be heresy for a Priest or Priestess within the church to attend?>>

It would not be heresy in any event. There are none who contest that those in attendance of a Mass I celebrate will receive some of the tangible benefits that accrue to attendees. If Valos allows such to occur, who can call attendance an ecclesiastic crime?

Morgan - The privileges granted Dark Clergy by His Majesty, in His wisdom, do not extend to their unsolicited participation in Masses dedicated to the Pantheon of Light. In any instance, the Altar is not such that would grant tangible benefits to their followers.

Templar Cooper - i appreciate the criticism, which I know comes without malice on your part. Discord is not my intent - perhaps you need to speak with Aldric about that.

You are in error when you state that I long for the days of elaborate structures. You know I do not hold back when I feel I should engage, you said as much. I have no longing to strike at those who slight me - it is their loss, not mine, if I disengage from them. You know me well enough that if I had such a desire, I would not hold back. Know this also, Templar. When I felt the power of the minor miracles of Valos once more flow into me, I spoke words at a Mass, only to be insulted by Aldric. I left, without fully responding, not wishing to cause dissent. Is that the action of one seeking conflict?

Come to Mass Friday eve, Templar. Listen to my words and then judge my intent. My sermon will bring clarification.

Ava - you add nothing in your attempt to add fuel to what you hope is a fire.

Atrus, you say "of course..." as if you know tht about which you speak. You most assuredly do not, particularly when it comes to my affairs.

Thalia - there has been an Altar of Valos in Pendarvin for as long as I have resided there. I saw no reason to publicize the fact, though I did not hide it.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

Last edit: 17 Jun 2014 13:58 by geezer (geezer).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Silverbow Patriarch (Ardin), Lathiel (Lathiel), Ben Theis (Tirsen Crestingstar), Keith_Stratton (Keith_Stratton), Thalia Burdorn (abbyl)
16 Jun 2014 23:25 #19 by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl)
Replied by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl) on topic Mass
Hm. I didn't know that.

Thank you.

Thalia Stonebar Burdorn
Consul of Kaladonia
Warden of the Phocus
Ambassador to Calasvorin
Manager, Dragon's Claw Inn;

OOG: Abby Leib
16 Jun 2014 23:28 #20 by Templar Aldric (Selrik)
Replied by Templar Aldric (Selrik) on topic Mass
Master Haroldson,

I have held my tongue up to now, allowing thee to make thine folly clear. As thee hath named me in thine complaints, however, I feel that I have the right to address thine umbrage against me. Thine claim of insult I find puzzling, please allow me to explain the source of my confusion.

Thine ire was apparently raised during my sermon, by my calling thee "Master Haroldson". Thee, then did choose to interrupt a Valosian Mass, in order to demand the use of a title reserved for Ordained Priests within the Church of Light. In fact, the only words from my lips in addressing thee after this, were to clarify whether the Church recognized the title thee wished me to use. I asked three times, to which thee dissembled and offered excuses that did not include a yes or no response. Without Church recognition, I finally explained, I could only use your secular title, which is properly, "Master" in recognition of thine secular accomplishments. Thee then chose to storm from the Mass at this point, claiming insult. Thus thee can see, where my confusion lies.

Thou didst interrupt a Valosian Mass in order to self aggrandize. Then when asked to satisfactorily support thine illegitimate claim of title, thee could not. When it was clear that the title would not be falsely applied to thee, thou didst compound the extreme impropriety of interrupting a Holy Mass, by causing a further scene by shouting at a Clergy of the Church in the middle of his sermon, as thee left in a huff.

Looking at all of this, the only insult given was towards the Church, and by thee.

I encourage thee to think carefully who thee serve in this seeking of conflict: is it our Lord Valos or thineself? I hope thee canst reject thine darkening path, and seek redemption. Even in exile one can repent. I willst pray for thee.

Templar Aldric
Champion Fisherman of Amanthyre
Prophet of the Holy Light
Templar of Valos

"The sacred writings are quite specific on the subject of killing, but are a bit fuzzier on the topic of kneecaps."

OOG - David McCormick.
  • Dunn Ironwill
  • Do you require alchemy!?!
  • Thank Yous: 175
16 Jun 2014 23:59 #21 by Dunn Ironwill (JackDimms)
Replied by Dunn Ironwill (JackDimms) on topic Mass
This constant verbal warfare is tiresome. Men are born with the gift to speak for a reason. How they use that particular gift is up to them. Edwin is still using his gift for the Light, as I've heard some who are not priests speak on the passion they have of the Gods they chose to follow. They are not ordained, yet spread the word of Light or Dark for that matter with no worry of consequences. Edwin simply wishes to bring awareness of the god he chose to those who wish to hear. Is it really that wrong?

To this I add that many in Travance would hope I would not speak anymore, but now my words ring with a certain truth that has gained respect to a degree. I speak of my travels, of battles past, of poetry and love. I am not a bard but I do sing from time to time, does that make me wrong for wanting to share my passion with those around me?

All of this seems...to be frank, petty to me. Grown men and women debating on a man speaking of his salvation all because the institution has told him he cannot. Even if I was ordered to have my tongue cut out so that I could not speak anymore, I would write my words down on paper and have someone read them off if I was passionate enough on the subject matter.

Do not take this as insult, nor disrespect, this is simply my opinion I wished to share as I see a lot of questions for Edwin, yet I see no one is willing to question their own selves to see what they really feel. They have heard words from a powerful man and respected them to the point where it has become a decision. To me it seems some of the people asking the many questions need to look inside themselves and ask what would they do if they were in the same situation?

Signed, With Truth,
Jack Dimms.

Professor Dunn Ironwill
Cenobite of Agaura
Occultist.
Vassal of Ostcliff

OOG: Dane Williams
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lathiel (Lathiel)
18 Jun 2014 17:32 #22 by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar)
Replied by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar) on topic Mass
You speak of the canons that man wrote. I recall an Angel of Valos throwing them out when he gave you the choice to leave or repent.

Templar Ekatarina Esmeralda Kisslinger McKregar, Prophet of the Kindred Oak

Neina Avaren

OOC: Ann A.- Logistics Marshal
  • Bat Cooper
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 74
18 Jun 2014 19:59 #23 by Bat Cooper (Cassius23)
Replied by Bat Cooper (Cassius23) on topic Re:Mass
Oh, one thing I would like to point out. I was not just speaking for myself. I was speaking as Head Templar and with the full blessing and authority therein.

So the Church of Light has spoken in this matter. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

IC: Bat Cooper

OOC: James Jones
MM
  • Nicoletta
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 442
18 Jun 2014 20:02 #24 by Nicoletta (fyperia)
Replied by Nicoletta (fyperia) on topic Mass
This discussion was ended days ago, yet it continues here. What has happened has happened, regardless of where you 'stand' on it. In the forseeable future, I doubt anyone's stance will change; this arguing is pointless. I don't know what more reasoning is necessary than an Arch-angel of the very God he preaches told him to put down his holy symbol, but if it is needed, anyone may contact the Archbishop, as was requested when this was first announced. There will be no more endless bickering on the subject.

This discussion is closed. Do not attempt to open it again.

OOG: Zelda Turqman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aria (Aria)
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.816 seconds