When and when not to use the word "Theory"

27 Aug 2014 23:11 - 27 Aug 2014 23:17 #1 by Gabrian Grottings (E.B)
When and when not to use the word "Theory" was created by Gabrian Grottings (E.B)
There is a subtle, but crucial difference between having a "hypothesis" and having a "theory".

A hypothesis is an idea.

A theory is a hypothesis that has undergone rigorous testing and has yet to be proven false.

If you hear someone exclaim, "I have a theory!" before detailing an idea, they are wrong. What they have is a hypothesis.

For example:

It is a scientific fact that everything which exists above the temperature of absolute zero gives off Electromagnetic (EM) radiation. This radiation manifests as a collection of energy waves, some of which can be seen with the naked eye. An example of this would be how most healthy humanoid eyes can view the Visible Light Spectrum, or in the case of the Dark Elves and Dark Dwarves, how their eyes are able to see in the infrared spectrum.

There are those in our society that claim to be able to "see spirits" or to "view the Weave". While there is no quantifiable scientific data to prove or disprove their claims as of yet, I hypothesize that what they are in fact "seeing" is a portion of the EM spectrum that is not visible to the average humanoid eye. A close parallel to this would be how undead are capable of "sensing life"; they are not in fact sensing something as mysterious as a being's "life force" but are in fact sensing the EM radiation given off by a living body.

Please note that in the above two paragraphs, I never mentioned that fickle and oft misused phrase, "I have a theory" and instead asserted, "I have a hypothesis" because as of yet, I have not run enough tests to prove/disprove my idea. So please, if you hear someone foolishly utter the phrase, "I have a theory" when they in fact do not have a theory, kindly enlighten them.

On a side note, if you are one of the people who claims to be able to see spirits, the weave, or magic and you wouldn't mind making a donation to science I could really use the samples.

Eli
RP Marshal
Last edit: 27 Aug 2014 23:17 by Gabrian Grottings (E.B).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
27 Aug 2014 23:40 #2 by Eden Heimdell (amalthea)
Replied by Eden Heimdell (amalthea) on topic When and when not to use the word "Theory"
Bolton,

Your differentiation between the terms "theory" and "hypothesis" are very welcome sights indeed. In your example, however, you yourself note that what you propose is not as of yet testable. The ability to verify, or for the pessimists out there, falsify an idea is what makes it a hypothesis. Otherwise, it's just conjecture, or at best the seeds from which hypotheses are birthed.

A hypothesis is testable and falsifyable.

Thank you for your valuable input.

~Amalthea Meril

Eden Heimdell
Vassal of Albriar

OOG Lauren F.
  • Aria
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 215
28 Aug 2014 07:17 #3 by Aria (Aria)
Replied by Aria (Aria) on topic When and when not to use the word "Theory"
Bolton,
I do find myself wondering what sort of donations you seek from those of us who can see the weave or spirits

Dame Tari Zhafirah Stonebar Deldragon of the Order of the Sagewardens
Dean of Arcane Studies of the Darkwood Acadamy of the Metaphysical Arts

Playing with fire is bad for those who burn themselves.  For the rest of us, it is a very great pleasure....
28 Aug 2014 10:38 #4 by Gabrian Grottings (E.B)
Replied by Gabrian Grottings (E.B) on topic When and when not to use the word "Theory"
Ms. Meril: Perhaps I worded my example poorly. What I meant to convey is, while there has been no scientific as a yet able to quantify the existence of a "soul" or "weave", given the proper samples and time with which to experiment, I am confident that I can come up with a model that explains that they are in fact simply a certain wavelength of the electromagnetic spectrum. Thank you for asking for clarification and I'm sorry for the confusion.

Ms Guildmistress,
Donations of time or remote sensory organelles, whichever is easier to acquire, would be greatly expedite the testing phase of this hypothesis.

Eli
RP Marshal
  • Dunn Ironwill
  • Do you require alchemy!?!
  • Thank Yous: 175
28 Aug 2014 10:54 #5 by Dunn Ironwill (JackDimms)
Replied by Dunn Ironwill (JackDimms) on topic When and when not to use the word "Theory"
The fact I know and understand all these big words the doctor is using makes me wanna get drunk so I can forget them...

Signed, With Truth,
Jack Dimms

Professor Dunn Ironwill
Cenobite of Agaura
Occultist.
Vassal of Ostcliff

OOG: Dane Williams
  • Swyft
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.
  • Thank Yous: 339
28 Aug 2014 13:14 #6 by Swyft (agentswift)
Replied by Swyft (agentswift) on topic When and when not to use the word "Theory"
Mr. Bolton,

I have a... hypothesis... that is somewhat along the lines of your interest. Being a Healer, I work with life energy... and I have noticed some curious things that perhaps someone of your profession might understand better than me. Maybe we can have a chat?

Dame Swyft T. Glitterfang-Johnson-Ludwig
-Knight of Corvancia
- Carnifex of Aguara
- Designer of Stonefall Couture: "Because you're never too bad to look good!"

(OOG: Renée Day)
  • Aria
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 215
28 Aug 2014 16:37 #7 by Aria (Aria)
Replied by Aria (Aria) on topic When and when not to use the word "Theory"
Some organelles forgive my simple understanding but it sounds like is a fancy way of you asking to harvest pieces of our organs for this little test of yours is this correct? Given the last time you wanted to run some "tests" on me I feel it is appropriate for you to plainly ask what it is you are seeking

Dame Tari Zhafirah Stonebar Deldragon of the Order of the Sagewardens
Dean of Arcane Studies of the Darkwood Acadamy of the Metaphysical Arts

Playing with fire is bad for those who burn themselves.  For the rest of us, it is a very great pleasure....
28 Aug 2014 17:31 - 28 Aug 2014 17:32 #8 by Gabrian Grottings (E.B)
Replied by Gabrian Grottings (E.B) on topic When and when not to use the word "Theory"
Ah, and what beautiful advancements we would have been able to make had we pursued that line of inquiry; imagine being able to hold death at bay and the ability to preserve and extend a life despite the lack of a pulse. There were so many people we could have helped! It is a shame that opportunity has passed.

As for this hypothesis, I am a scientist, not a miracle worker. Just as a brick maker needs straw and clay for his work, I too need materials, of a more biological nature, for this research. Given that the humanoid eye is an excellent remote sensor of EM radiation, it would be wonderful if some people were willing to donate a few pairs so that morphological differences could be charted, tests could be run, and analysis's made that could reveal more about the very nature of our universe.

PS: Swyft, I would be delighted to hear your hypothesis and to spend some time in the pleasure of your company.

Eli
RP Marshal
Last edit: 28 Aug 2014 17:32 by Gabrian Grottings (E.B).
28 Aug 2014 19:37 #9 by Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
Replied by Meander Correlis (SarahBrand) on topic When and when not to use the word "Theory"
Dr. DuMourne,

Are you looking for particular types of specimens, such as from different species or from humanoids with different abilities relative to your idea? Or are you simply looking for a larger quantity of ocular subjects with which to experiment? If I come across any eligible subjects during the normal course of my dissection work, it would be easy enough for me to obtain you your specimens. However, there's no point in me gathering eyes that you wouldn't use, so additional detail would be excellent.

Regards,

~Meander Correlis, Master Alchemist
Baronial Ambassador to Londwyn
Champion of Homunculi City

(OOG: Sarah Brand)
  • Terzak
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Tell me, thief, do you know anything about MAGIC?
  • Thank Yous: 154
28 Aug 2014 20:07 #10 by Terzak (TheArchMage)
Replied by Terzak (TheArchMage) on topic When and when not to use the word "Theory"
I am willing to offer time, but I am not one to give organs to anyone. I can, on occasion see and dream of the Weave but it does take some time.

By my hand,
Professor Terzak Winstonshire

OOG: Will Harrington
28 Aug 2014 22:39 #11 by Edmund Patterson (Edmund)
Replied by Edmund Patterson (Edmund) on topic When and when not to use the word "Theory"
I have a hypothesis!

If you join me at the Smithing Revival on Friday evening at 10 and 1/2 bells, you can have punch and pie! See if this becomes a Theory. I believe it will be delicious!

Edmund Patterson
Master of Arms
Master Smith / Artificer
Co-Owner of Anvils and Alchemy
Travance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bladesworn (Bladesworn), Eden Heimdell (amalthea)
  • Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 226
28 Aug 2014 22:55 #12 by Goggs (coryan)
Replied by Goggs (coryan) on topic When and when not to use the word "Theory"
Wotcher Master Patterson,

A splendid and exciting hypothesis, no less! I for one am thoroughly looking forward to making detailed and repeated observations in order to support or refute your claim!

Behold the true beauty of the empirical method!

Opus Venare,

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

OOG: Cory W-S
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a Maul."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eden Heimdell (amalthea), Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
  • Aleister
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 1504
29 Aug 2014 13:38 #13 by Aleister (Aleister)
Replied by Aleister (Aleister) on topic When and when not to use the word "Theory"
Dr. DuMourne,

I can promise you, having just the eyes of a being who can perceive these forces will not aid in your experimentation. The Weave is, in fact, a tangible force, however, you must understand that all things do not co-exist on the same plane. So it takes education, practice and a fuller understanding of the both the Spirit Realm in the case of seeing spirits, or the fundamentals of the higher arcane power in the case of the Weave.

To "See Spirits" quite literally is just that. It is the Spirit's ability to perceive things similar to it. The healing Phokus is the conduit that connects the Material Plane and the Spirit Realm together. As a mortal being, we all exist in both of these realms at the same time. The physical body exists in the Material Plane whereas the soul or spirit exists in the Spirit Realm. It is the Leylines created by the Arani, that allow these two parts of the being to overlap in much the same way, or at least remain connected in a fashion that the spirit may re-inhabit a body should it have enough strength. The Phokus attunement is a process that allows a being with an innate connection with the Material Plane's Positive Energy to perceive both planes at the same time. It is essentially strengthening the bond between the body and the Spirit so that the attuned person can perceive that which exists in both planes at the same time.

The Weave is something that is not so easily explained. Because it does not exist on another plane that overlaps the Material. It exists on the Material Plane as a tangible force that can be seen, touched and manipulated by those with the understanding of it's presence. Some might argue that it is the magic of the Fey that has kept the Weave hidden from all except for those well versed in arcane Sorcery, strictly on the design of a security measure, given the nature of it's existence. Again however, this force can be seen and felt by those who have created a different sort of focus. Originally a tool only known to be crafted by those with higher arcane understanding, the Battle or Valence focus was something that could be concentrated on, allowing the mind to perceive the strands of the Weave so that they may better understand the power they were working with. For most, this was a stepping stone to the path of actually manipulating it.

I hope this has provided some insight into your attempts to understand the supernatural forces of the world. I would be glad to explain more, especially on the planes themselves, in person.

Lord Admiral Aleister Demirosz, the Phoenix

-Steve Oros
Assistant Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pappy (Quan), Gwynedd (Gwynedd), Swyft (agentswift), Verrill Lebastion (Wellby)
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.617 seconds