Newcomers to Travance

• Sindarion
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • "I hope you all enjoy iambic heptameter."
  • Thank Yous: 318
06 Nov 2014 01:45 - 07 Nov 2014 15:19 #1 by Sindarion (Steven SA)
For all Newcomers to Travance was created by Sindarion (Steven SA)
First off, welcome to Travance! You've just arrived to one of the top vacation sites in all of Palmydia!
Actually, that would be the Isle of Rinn'Quinell Nurbonis, but it'd probably take a boatload of gold just to get a ticket over there.
But Travance is here, and so are you!

As one of your friendly neighborhood squires, I am sworn to help the law-abiding subjects of Travance, and that means you I hope ! If this is your first, second, or even third month staying within the boundaries of the Barony of Travance, you may have realized by now that this isn't your average barony of Kormyre. You would be hard-pressed to find much of the things that run about here in other corners of the world.

It's for that precise reason that I'm posting this. There are events in motion that have been happening for a long time before you all first set foot in Travance, and it may be a bit disorienting if you find yourself caught up in the middle of things. Not to worry, most all the people in this town have been in that situation at one point in time.
In addition, there are many times where the difference between knowing and not knowing something is the difference between life and death. For example, knowing not to use fire magics on fire elementals, or that if you see a floating skull with gems for eyes, you should run in the opposite direction as quickly as possible.
But also mind you, it's not all peril and jeopardy here! There are plenty of pleasant people here who are more than willing to help you during your stay, including those who make up the five lands that compose the Barony of Travance. "No man is an island," as they say, and it's important (not to mention a heck of a lot more fun) to be with individuals you can call your friends, battle-siblings, allies, compatriots, and/or crew.

In the future, I will be posting more tidbits of basic information on our Barony here. To start, the first installment will be a brief description of the aforementioned five lands of Travance and what you will find within them (with some commentary). Information can be found as well within the Baronial Library, which I highly encourage you all to read, but it is understandable if you simply do not have the time. I am always taking suggestions for things people wish to have investigated!

In addition! This is an open invitation to all in Travance (although, once again, primarily newcomers mainly because I feel like people who have been here for a while generally have a good sense of what's going on ):
If you have any questions, feel free to send a Private Missive to me, and I will do my best to supply you with an answer or find out the information myself.
This includes:
  • Trying to find teachers for fancy tricks and skills or even entire professions!
  • What sort of drinks are usually served on tap at the Dragon's Claw!
  • If you have questions you would like to be researched at the next feast!
  • What you missed last month!
  • How to meet that fine-looking person with horns at the bar (and how to tell if they're a satyr, demon, or something else entirely) !
  • Job opportunities!
  • Trying to find a few like-minded individuals to go off gallivanting and adventuring with!
I can't guarantee I will know all of this knowledge off the top of my head, but I WILL guarantee that I will act as both your investigator and liaison in regards to people whom I know will know the answer to your question.

I've attached some of my other writings directly underneath this post for ease of access. If you'll flip over to these pages, you'll find:
A Newcomer's Guide to the Five Lands - Written November 6, 1214
How to Survive Against Balfurous - Written November 7, 1214

Sincerely,

~ Knight Morgan "Sindarion" Sinclair
[strike]Vagabond[/strike] Harper

OOG:
Steven Sebastian Amore
Last edit: 07 Nov 2014 15:19 by Sindarion (Steven SA).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood), Rudolf (Rudolf), Grimkjell Eirson (BillHannings), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Thalia Burdorn (abbyl), Lesser Skeleton (ThisDevilsWorkday), Erik Silverfang (ASchleicher)
  • Sindarion
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
06 Nov 2014 16:49 - 07 Nov 2014 15:08 #2 by Sindarion (Steven SA)
Replied by Sindarion (Steven SA) on topic For all Newcomers to Travance
The Proper's paper has procured perfect permission to publish my posts in their pages!

So! For all you fresh here in Travance, one of the better things to know about this place is that there are five different lands that compose it. One of the quickest and easiest ways to get situated is to be sworn as a vassal yourself to one of these lands. Mind you, this is by no means a mandatory thing! You're free to live your life non-vassal-ed if you enjoy living independently or if you feel your loyalty is tied to somewhere outside of Kormyre.
Also, I feel it rather necessary to state that even if one doesn't swear to one of these lands, if you are living in the lands of Kormyre, you are still expected to abide by the laws of the land (this should be an easy concept to grasp for any of you Enaxians out there), so don't get caught with your hands in someone's pockets!
Anyway, I ramble! Without further ado, a list of a few places you should know about!

Travance Proper
First thing's first - this is where the monthly Baronial Feast is held, and if you're reading this article at the Dragon's Claw, where you are right now. This might get a little confusing - there's Travance, the Barony, which is huge and is, well, an entire barony, and then there's Travance Proper, which is the town. It's a crazy place, as you certainly must have seen by now, but it is one of the most culturally diverse towns in the Barony, and possibly all of Kormyre! Seriously. Nowhere else will you be able to find a Selendrian elf, a Londwyn, a dwarf, and a nyad sitting down at the same table to have tea without trying to kill each other. I'd venture a guess that it's the primary reason why people such as wild mages, dark elves, and goblins aren't killed on sight around these parts, though if you are any one of the above, you should still be careful - we do come into conflict with the latter two often, and if you're the former, be wary of the drinks people give you - drinking a satyr's "special" wine will often cause some explosive results.
The colors of the Barony are black and gold (or another lovely shade of yellow).
Warning - If you're reading this, you probably know just how crazy things get here. If you don't, you'll find out.

The Rift
If you recall crossing through a giant fissure in the ground that stretches as far as the eye could see in either direction, that was the Rift. The caverns that made this route possible were discovered by the founder of our town and Barony, Jonathan Travance; prior to their discovery, the western half of Palmydia was unable to traverse or even contact the side east of the Rift. Legend has it that the Rift was created more than nine hundred years ago by a monstrous being named Uelrog the Destroyer, whom, upon his demise, sundered the very continent... talk about not going down without a fight. Sailing around it is not recommended, as the ocean flows into the Rift on either side, creating some ridiculously strong currents. As for how the ocean level doesn't seem to be lowering? Some scholars say it has to do with the vapors that often rise from it and rain. My guess is magic. It's always magic.
Warning - the unexplored areas of the Rift are very dangerous. Even the trip through the charted caverns should rarely be taken lightly. Seriously, the one time I've traveled through it, my group got swarmed by a bunch of undead. We survived, but it still wasn't fun. Not in any rush to go back.

And now The Five Lands!

Alisandria
You can know their statehouse by the stag-headed door knocker and the pumpkin-headed scarecrow that stands watch. No small wonder why they have those, Alisandria is colloquially known as "The Breadbasket of Travance." Due to the Hope River and its numerous tributaries, it's well-watered. Beware to any crazy celtic chaos warriors - here there be halflings. And make no mistake, Alisandria often does a wonderful job of feeding its vassals. If you're ever visiting the lands, I highly suggest visiting the marketplace of Fairglen on Hope. In addition to having a large assortment of foodstuffs, it has a remarkable canal system to ensure easy transport and freshness of goods, not to mention a few mighty-fine taverns! Oh, and if you ever go to The River Rower's Inn, tell Herb I sent you! He'll either give you a good deal or throw you out.
The colors of Alisandria are red and white, and are led by Lord Lucius Blackthorne and Lady Cassandra Blackthorne.
Warning - along the northeastern border of Alisandria lie the Fields of Fallow. This is a dangerous location populated by undead creatures and "ruled" by a deranged psychopath named "Lord" Fallow, who just so happens to be a lich. More on what exactly a lich is in future installments!

Dreaga'mire
Give me a yar-har an' a swig o' grog! If anyone says that Dreaga'mire is nothing but a giant swamp and a place worth visiting only if you want to catch a boat, they're dead wrong. (Also, I don't condone wanton violence, but a comment like that could be worthy of some lightly-delivered heavy blunt trauma delivered via a fist-ual persuasion if one were so inclined.) Dreaga'mire is home to a wide variety of goods and people, primarily due to its many natural and artificial ports. Port Valandra in particular is one of the most populous towns in the barony, second only to Travance Proper, as well as one heck of a place to throw a party. Drega'mire in general is a good place to find work of all kinds, be it on the docks, in breweries, and I believe New Avondale even has a public library (correct me if I'm wrong, Belegchand). In addition, Captain Jun of the S.S. Tupperback fastest ship in the Lord's navy! is looking for crew members. Speak with him in the proper if you are interested (especially if you like ale)!
The colors of Dreaga'mire are red and black, and are led by Lord Aleister Tartaros and Lady Angelica Tartaros (née Tellinghast).
Warning - caution should be taken when leaving port. Despite the growing navy, the rather luxurious exports of Drega'mire still make ships a tempting target for pirates. Great care should also be taken when traversing the wetlands. If you see lights that would lead you away from the path, DO NOT FOLLOW THEM. Also, I was recently made aware that Crimhagen, the town known for its salt mines, should not be approached. It and another town, Cyrit, has become a barren wasteland for an archdevil of Glomm.

Kaladonia
If you like a lot of green, Kaladonia is the land for you. Much of the land is heavily forested, and most of its inhabitants like to keep it that way - in all but one of the towns in Kaladonia, Kormyrians are a minority. Most of their inhabitants are Sylvan elves as well as Faerie-Kin (satyrs, dryads, sylphs, and nyads). But not to worry - all of these races are united in the fact that they have a "y" in their names. Joking aside, most of the trouble in the lands come from debates whether to continue with logging ventures or preserving the natural locales. A balance is often found, though neither sides are entirely happy with it. But don't get me wrong, whenever there is an ACTUAL imbalance in the land, such as when corrupting "druids" come to play, Kaladonia REALLY knows how to bring the hammer down on them. It's a rather inclusive land, and the Kaladonians seen in the Proper definitely know how to work as a team.
Also, the lands are very pretty! The gardens of Niedrilion are a sight to behold, particularly around the Gaian abbey, and the people within know how to use those herbs to make some immensely potent healing supplies.
The colors of Kaladonia are green and white, and are led by Lord Gideon Weaveforger (aka Big-Shield-and-Hammer-for-Brazen Elf) and Lady Kleiden Laurent-Belmont (aka Rawr-I-am-an-evil-demon-OH-GODS-WHY-AM-I-FILLED-WITH-ALL-OF-THESE-ARROWS-OH-WAIT-IT'S-BECAUSE-OF-THAT-REDHEAD-WITH-A-BOW-blurgk Lady).
Warning - Don't chop down trees without asking first. Don't. Don't do it. Also, despite the abundance of rather benevolent druids in Travance, don't assume that the forests are a hundred per cent safe. Grimm Guardians will try to wreck your face if you aren't careful where you step, and despite the watchful gaze of the druids, an occasional blight druid slips through the cracks.

Ostcliff
Ostcliff is the most recent land to be added to Travancian territory. It used to be known as Mordavia, and, similar to Kaladonia, it has some wooded areas - however, as it the land is still relatively unsettled, its wilderness is a bit more... well... wild. Its capital, Mordavia Proper, was less of a place that was settled as it was won over - these lands are particularly dangerous, and, as I was told, "battle-tested." Most settlements out here are frontier towns, and while they typically don't specialize in exporting a specific kind of goods like the other lands, their treasures are the people who live there - similar to Vorllorn in Kormyre, you'd be hard-pressed to find people more rugged and ready than those from Ostcliff. The goods they do export are varied, likely because due to the nature of surrounding lands, sometimes you just can't wait to import new materials when you need to fix something now. In addition, there are many ruins and hidden structures from a bygone age, one of which was turned into a settlement. While the people of Ostcliff can seem a bit rough around the edges, bear in mind the hostile terrain they live in and understand that it may take a while to earn their trust - but once they trust you to cover their backs, you can be certain that they'll have yours. The land is populated mostly by humans, with small subcultures refugees from elsewhere, and people who just won't take no guff from a hostile environment.
The colors of Ostcliff are green and black. Unfortunately, there is no lord at the moment, and is currently managed mostly by its knights.
Warning - In these lands, it's even more important to stay on the well-trod paths than any other! This land has wildlife unlike any other part of Travance, with carnivorous plants and equally vicious animals. Corpse Trees in particular are one notable example of Mordavian flora. Ask some people around town about 'em. They'll have some fun stories to tell you!

Pendarvin
Ah, Pendarvin. They've got some dwarves, and they're digging some holes. All day long, diggin', diggin' holes. This land has the largest population of Dwarves and the Barbarian Tribes of the North here in Travance, and for good reason. You've got mountains, pine forests, great sloping hills covered in snow... reminds me of good ol' Glangsdale in the winter. Similar to Ostcliffe, it's a rugged land, and often attracts those who are used to colder climes. Celts as well as some faerie-kin abound in certain locations, too! Fur trappers, shepherds, miners, even some farms in the drier, southern parts of the land. The town of Skara Gothe was particularly dear to our former Baroness due to one of its primary exports - coffee. Let me tell you, you haven't been awake until you've had a nice, steaming mug of Skara Gothen coffee. Don't drink it with sugar or milk though, or you might attract many condescending stares from the local northmen. Instead, drink with powdered chocolate, a folk recipe that has become quite popular in the Proper.
Anyway, I digress. Pendarvin, possibly more than any other land, is known for its hard-workers. A strong, dwarven work ethic is instilled in many who stay there, and if one is a skilled craftsman, they can easily achieve renown in these parts. It is also home to the largest Brazenite temple in Travance, so any who follow the Smithfather would do well to make a pilgrimage at least once to Arnwhul.
The colors of Pendarvin are blue and white, and are led by Lord Ardin Silverbow and Lady Mirwen Silverbow, the Jewel of Pendarvin.
Warning - If you are a user of magic, be careful of how much you cast spells here; the barbarian tribes are more than a little suspicious of those who use the arcane arts. I've known a bard who had tomatoes chucked at her for using magic music (poor dear) . Also, be wary of the Venir tribe if your travels take you around Vindholm, as they are known to be worshippers of Agaura, the Lady of Torment. Never a good thing. Similar to Travance in the Winter, be sure to dress warmly the northern and higher (elevation-wise) you go. Your biggest enemies here aren't the wildlife or rampaging worshippers of dark gods, but the lack of resources and colder weather.

So here you are! Now, remember how I said I might have some job offers for people in my first posting?
I've got one here now!
In my research, I've seen that some of the maps were out of date, especially given that Ostcliff was officially annexed in May 1212 and many maps are from before that. Not to mention that with the Demon Wars of the Third Age have left the land radically changed, I am looking for skilled cartographers and map-makers!
I am willing to pay out of my own pocket for someone skilled at drawing maps to be copied and dispensed throughout the capitals of each of these lands. If you have these or similar artistic talents, I urge you to let me know!

Also, to all who read this, not just newcomers to Travance:
Get involved with these lands. Even if you're not a skilled civil servant, don't let that stop you from helping out. Not vassaled to any land? No problem. Go wandering. Explore. Visit different towns. Take part of everything Travance has to offer. We're more than just a bunch of ramshackle adventurers or a bastion of heroes to protect the world from numerous evils. We're a barony. We're a land. We're a bunch of people. Travance may have been founded and protected by the sword arms of those who sought to destroy it, but it's made from all the individuals who call this place their home. There are more than ten thousand people in the Proper alone, not counting the Crossroads or even those in other lands' towns. Get to know some of them.

Anyway, I've already gone through two inkwells to write this and have no wish to open a third. This has been Sindarion's first installment of his Tales, Tours, and Travels! Check the Dragon's Claw for further installments, and if you have any suggestions or questions for what you'd like to see or hear about in the future, send a missive, letter, or runner!

OOG:
Steven Sebastian Amore
Last edit: 07 Nov 2014 15:08 by Sindarion (Steven SA).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elric_Ashby (Elric_Ashby), Kirsten (Lotano), Croínamara (Jen), Annora (Karen), Arden (Shelby), Nalick (NalickDeMarche), Thalia Burdorn (abbyl), Lesser Skeleton (ThisDevilsWorkday), Genevieve Reynolds (bookybird)
  • Sindarion
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
07 Nov 2014 03:48 - 07 Nov 2014 15:12 #3 by Sindarion (Steven SA)
Replied by Sindarion (Steven SA) on topic For all Newcomers to Travance
All right, newcomers. I've given you a bit of information about the basic lands in the land you're living/staying/habituating/vacationing in. All nice, fun stuff. Good stuff to help you do well for yourself. Nice things.

What I'm about to tell you will keep you alive.

For once, I'm not cracking wise or making jokes. This information is vital to know in the coming month. I'd rather not dull its importance with humor. For all you who know me, you know that doesn't happen. For those that don't, I occasionally ply my trade as an entertainer and jester.
Do the arithmetic.

A brief history lesson. There once was a demon named Xualla. You may or may not have heard the name tossed around before. He was a demon of no small power. To give you an example, there are demons out there in the Abyss the size of mountains, with physical power to match their size.
Xualla was stronger than no less than three of those put together. Likely more.
He is the reason why much of the world is in shambles at this current moment. The Demon War that punctuated the Third Age was thanks to him. In 1213, his plans to bring about the Abyss on Arawyn was almost a success. Most of the world experienced onslaughts of demons jumping out left and right, with only a few pockets evading serious notice. If you were wondering what was up with all those demons, it was because of this guy.

Well, and one other. Balfurous.
An ice demon of equal power, the two of them planned and schemed to bring about the end of life in this world. In the battle that literally spanned across Arawyn, we finally killed Xualla on the steps of Castle Loez.
The only reason we were able to do this was because Terrestraza, a very dragon cursed Xualla literal ages ago and we had called a Pegasus, one of the most pure creatures that have ever walked this realm, into assisting us. If you've heard people claim that Pegasuses are extinct, they wouldn't be that far off. They've all left the material realm. Oh, and we also had five powerful legendary weapons made by dragons (who I will also add ALSO fled the material realm again, literal AGES ago) that were able to exploit the dragon's curse that was placed on Xualla.
I don't care what you've heard about Travance. I don't care how much we look like big damn heroes. What we did to kill Xualla was something that I doubt we will ever be able to replicate. And that only killed one of the creatures responsible.

I don't remember all the names of people read off a list roughly a year ago. I doubt any one singular person could be able to remember all the names of those that died. But I remember there were names of people I knew and looked up to. Some of them were found. Others, I've never heard from again. When we were preparing to launch an assault against Xualla, we were besieged by countless ranks of fire demons. Normally, the inn gets attacked by undead, ogres, goblins, elementals, and a general variety of creatures.
All I remember fighting were demons. Demons, and a few people who tried to flee with one of the dragon-forged swords and sail out to sea with it, which would have damned all of to us to die.
The point I'm trying to make, however, is that while we're not facing a horde of demons as we did last time, things are going to be very dangerous. It would be folly to assume that Balfurous has no idea what we're doing, which means he is likely going to do everything he can to stop us.

Oh, by the way. Just reminding you all that while Xualla wreaked havoc on the surface world, Balfurous has done the equivalent of that beneath us. Many of you hold some sizable hatred against the dark elves. I. Don't. Care. How. You. Feel. About. Them. The fact that a centuries old infrastructure was shattered to pieces in less than a year is a dangerous thing. I repeat, it is NOT a good thing. If you've got an issue with why I say that, I repeat, I don't care, and I will talk with you in person if you're so vehement about that.
Likewise, let us not forget the massacre of the Morlons, a subterranean race that navigates and communicates using psionic abilities. Balfurous completely dominated roughly their entire race, and when they failed to succeed at the task he sent them on, he eradicated cities filled with them under the surface.

Balfurous needs to be stopped.
He's not cursed by a dragon, though.
So how do we kill him?
By using a weapon made to kill dragons.

Enter Bloodtide. The weapon that everyone's been so up in arms about... For good reason, too, I might add. It required a multitude of sacrifices to make, and it still longs to feast on the hearts and lifeblood of living beings. All of you who felt that wave of vile... contentedness at the inn after the raid on the Fields of Fallow... it was from Bloodtide. Originally made by beings malicious beyond comprehension (if ANYONE says that the Morgazi are less of a threat or less "evil" than the Dark gods, I will literally set them on fire ), we re-made it because of its deadly ability: it is the epitome of the saying, "if it bleeds, we can kill it." Information about Bloodtide and other relevant information can be found in this post at the Dragon's Claw, particularly as to why we're using it.

So now what can you newcomers do? Here's a good list of the basics:
  • Never go anywhere by yourself. Always travel with others.
  • Stay well fed, well rested, and well watered.
  • If you can heal others, make sure people know. It's because of your skills that people will be able to keep fighting.
  • Have a healing salve somewhere noticeable on your person. If you get struck down and are found by someone incapable of healing others, they may be able to use it on you to staunch your bleeding.
  • If you are travelling, make sure you have an escape plan. This could mean having a scroll that creates a protective shield, this could mean being able to flee from battle very fast, it could mean turning invisible. Have at least two, if possible.
  • Keep your mind protected. The chaotic nature inherent in Abyssal energies will do terrible things to people. Ask bards, enchanters, Andorrans and the like for spells to keep your mind safe. If you're strong of will, even better.
  • If you think you can't fight these things, you don't have to. Fleeing and gathering help is worlds more useful than striking once with your sword and being struck down immediately after.
  • Get to know as many people as you can. Find out what they can do. Names are important. Know who to go to when you have a problem. THIS GOES DOUBLY FOR OLDER TOWNSMEMBERS. Don't ignore the newcomers. Equip them. Make sure they can take care of themselves. Don't. Underestimate. Them. Don't you dare treat them as bodies you may need to step over.
  • If all you want/can/think-you-can-do is fight, there's more than one way to assist in a battle. If your weapon cannot hurt the thing you're fighting, you may instead harry its attacks so that another fighting it can strike without worrying as much to defend themselves. Remember that even if you don't have a weapon, you can still change the course of a battle.
  • Remember that the Dragon's Claw is not always safe. While it's a gathering place for many powerful people, it also attracts just as many powerful monsters. I've seen people die on the inn floor before.
  • Don't die loudly. Just. Do not. Die.

If you have any more questions, send me a missive and I will do my best to address them. If you want one-on-one advice on what to do, send me a missive. If you are worried or scared and need a friend to talk to, send me a missive.
Stay safe, all of you.

OOG:
Steven Sebastian Amore
Last edit: 07 Nov 2014 15:12 by Sindarion (Steven SA).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oren Tenderson (Tormy), Eden Heimdell (amalthea), Kirsten (Lotano), Rowan Uidhir (Teresa), Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933), Meander Correlis (SarahBrand), Thalia Burdorn (abbyl), Tobias (Tobias), Lesser Skeleton (ThisDevilsWorkday), Belketra Folles (pleasantexample)
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.492 seconds