Ciphers from the Society

• Cara Easton
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I do not fear the dark. Only then can you see the stars.
  • Thank Yous: 324
29 Apr 2019 21:56 #1 by Cara Easton (Raeelle)
Ciphers from the Society was created by Cara Easton (Raeelle)
For those who haven’t seen it yet, a code was recently intercepted. Myself and several others were able to decode it, and in order to share our knowledge I will post both the cipher and the solution below.

osczivmewpophpvgvwrxusgpwxijwoumhpglvvpieykhcbxxkhhrmvayhgcuskcvwtmgmyfrfmewjqtqzqhdshvigdgkbgmhxbwlrmgmsk

Keyword is society
Solution:
“we are coming lord stone was not pleased with the last attempt perhaps a more direct and deadly form of attack is needed expect us”

Alt : Laurel Astraeus

OOG: Rae L
Marshal
Card Staff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Evelyn Hawkes (krishickey)
29 Apr 2019 21:58 #2 by Reyna Del Dragon (reynadeldragon)
Replied by Reyna Del Dragon (reynadeldragon) on topic Ciphers from the Society
Thank you, Cara.

Reyna Del Dragon Reign
Squire to Lady Lois Heimdell of Albriar
Master Witch Hunter
Robin of the Winged Victory
Daughter to the late Argyle Del Dragon Reign

OOG: Carter Sneeringer
29 Apr 2019 22:02 #3 by Khala Stormbringer (Jymme)
Replied by Khala Stormbringer (Jymme) on topic Ciphers from the Society
Last attempt? What do they mean by last attempt? Is this a previous foe of Travance's? Any information pertaining to this would be greatly appreciated. It is always best to know as much as possible about an enemy before engaging them.

Main Character: Khala Stormbringer
Alt: Keladry Aybara

OOG: JymmeAnne Walton
Attachments:
  • Django
  • Thank Yous: 47
30 Apr 2019 01:35 #4 by Django (Topgunwov)
Replied by Django (Topgunwov) on topic Ciphers from the Society
For the sake of those who are novices at cracking codes such as these,

How exactly was this decoded? What was the process?

Commodore Django, the Sunseeker
Kormyrian Navy, Captain of the K.S.S. Ironscale
Rooster of the Winged Victory
Vassal to Kaladonia

OOG: Evan Wovsaniker
  • Terzak
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Tell me, thief, do you know anything about MAGIC?
  • Thank Yous: 154
30 Apr 2019 02:24 #5 by Terzak (TheArchMage)
Replied by Terzak (TheArchMage) on topic Ciphers from the Society
This cipher is a particularly nasty beast, Django, and was cracked by process of elimination. Normally these codes are based on letters, where one takes a normal sentence and replaces every letter with one that's some set number behind or ahead of it. As an example, the words "I see you" could be crudely encoded to "J tff zpv", with each letter being replaced with the one ahead of it on the alphabet. We ruled that code out when attempting to process it only produced more gibberish.

Instead, it was discovered that there is a more advanced cipher which basically does the same thing, replacing letters with others, but instead ot using the same alphabetical shift as before, it replaces letters based on a keyword, "society" in this case. The actual process involves comparing the letters of the regular message to all possible shifts of the simpler cipher on a twenty six by twenty six row chart based on which letter of the key you're on and manually writing the result for each letter. If you know the keyword, you can do it backwards, which is how we did it. Achieving the keyword was done by...well, us magicians still have secrets to keep.

-Terzak

By my hand,
Professor Terzak Winstonshire

OOG: Will Harrington
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
30 Apr 2019 14:53 - 30 Apr 2019 23:06 #6 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Ciphers from the Society
Keladry,

They sponsored [strike]mercenaries[/strike] goons to come to Travance and do what they do best.

Of course, Travance did what it does best and now some gentleman Stone is a bit grumpy as a result.

Jokes aside, he very likely means business and I would suggest not letting your mind wander too much if you're in sparse company.

--Chet

Last edit: 30 Apr 2019 23:06 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche).
  • Cobus Puren
  • Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and smile, smile, smile...
  • Thank Yous: 48
30 Apr 2019 17:40 #7 by Cobus Puren (Jason T.)
Replied by Cobus Puren (Jason T.) on topic Ciphers from the Society
Right, setting aside the discussion of the difference between a mercenary soldier and some pricks with blades who take coin (we'll have a chat, Chet)---

---this lot are just interested in slotting as many people as they can? No big goals involving territorial domination, no supernatural backers or motivations, no concerns about them being used as a proxy force by the Duke, no indicators that this Lord Stone bloke is the world's smartest golem?

Sod me, I might actually be able to do some good here.

Cobus Puren
Captain of the Kormyrian Royal Navy
Commanding officer, KSS Saguaro and the 1st Raider Force

(OOG: Jason Trommer)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
30 Apr 2019 18:16 - 30 Apr 2019 18:21 #8 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Ciphers from the Society
I'm genuinely curious on the difference between mercenary and "pricks with blades who take coin".

Considering my understanding of mercenary is someone who makes money at the expense of ethics, or is a professional soldier who is hired to fight in a war that isn't theirs.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
Last edit: 30 Apr 2019 18:21 by Caelvan (Caelvan).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Django (Topgunwov)
  • Cobus Puren
30 Apr 2019 19:58 - 30 Apr 2019 20:01 #9 by Cobus Puren (Jason T.)
This got lengthier than I meant for it to be so rest of you lot can feel free to skip over this.

Anyway, to my mind, it's always the latter. I got my start back home in his Majesty the Sultan's Armed Forces, went out to a few of the petty rulers in the dunes after I left his service, now I'm out here with the Fleet. Where I come from, it's more freelancers with experience in one standing service or another signing on with a different standing force or heading up security operations, close protection details, what have you---if it leverages your military or warfighting experience, it's mercenary soldiering. And the best of the lot are indistinguishable in their performance and conduct from any native-born officer or NCO in their current service or the service of the country they're working in.

Mind you, that's out in the dunes. There's a lot less of the war band with a dramatic name (love the creativity behind those, mind you) operating as an independent entity out there than there is here, and I'm not as familiar with the mercenary community and its vagaries here since I only just signed on with the Fleet three months ago. Do the Blood Spirits' members have ranks and billet in the Kormyrian military? Search me, but there seems to be a bunch of us old-school freelancers in Koymyrian service. My XO's a dispossessed Quinarian, we've got people from Coast Haven and elsewhere in our ranks. Would love to see a breakdown of the demographics some day.

Anyway, the thing is people like to call anyone who does stabby or shooty things for pay a mercenary when that's not the case. You get a piece of gold for roughing someone up in a back alley, you're not a mercenary soldier, you're a thug. You take pay to bring an outlaw in, you're a bounty hunter. You get a coin purse for seeking out and killing someone, you're an assassin. So what this Society lot sounds like they're after are assassins. Not mercenary soldiers.

Just my two silvers and a whole bunch of professional pride.

Cobus Puren

Last edit: 30 Apr 2019 20:01 by Cobus Puren (Jason T.).
  • Django
01 May 2019 00:37 #10 by Django (Topgunwov)
So basically they aren't technically mercenaries unless they're working as what is basically freelance soldiers? Privatized military operations?

Vassal to Kaladonia

• Cobus Puren
01 May 2019 01:00 - 01 May 2019 01:03 #11 by Cobus Puren (Jason T.)
Yeah, 'zactly, just not necessarily for private enterprises (though those blokes are definitely out there), more the whole 'freelance soldier' thing. I'm a public servant as a sailor in the Royal Navy, but I am still a long, long way from home. My old home, at least.

Cobus Puren

Last edit: 01 May 2019 01:03 by Cobus Puren (Jason T.).
  • Seth
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 163
01 May 2019 01:10 - 01 May 2019 01:11 #12 by Seth (Kurteth)
Replied by Seth (Kurteth) on topic Ciphers from the Society
That's too complicated an answer.

A mercenary fights combatants for money. That's it.

Thugs rough up non combatants because they didn't pay their debt, mercenaries expect armed resistance.

You don't need to be a soldier, you need to want to eat and are willing to kill for it.

Seth

[hr]

OOG:Ben Carlson
Last edit: 01 May 2019 01:11 by Seth (Kurteth).
  • Django
01 May 2019 01:12 #13 by Django (Topgunwov)
That, too, seems a valid line of thinking. I'm torn.

Vassal to Kaladonia

• Cobus Puren
01 May 2019 01:25 #14 by Cobus Puren (Jason T.)
I'd argue by your logic you'd need some discipline in there too, Seth, else you ain't gonna get called back for more contracts if your mates know they can't count on you.

And as I've said to so many would-be grunts in the dunes, it's discipline that separates the soldier from the commoner.

Cobus Puren

• Seth
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 163
01 May 2019 01:41 #15 by Seth (Kurteth)
Replied by Seth (Kurteth) on topic Ciphers from the Society
And it's competence that separates the repeat hires from the dead.

Seth

[hr]

OOG:Ben Carlson
The following user(s) said Thank You: Liz (Liz), Cara Easton (Raeelle), Moostrav Potrevski ()
  • Cara Easton
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • I do not fear the dark. Only then can you see the stars.
  • Thank Yous: 324
01 May 2019 11:35 #16 by Cara Easton (Raeelle)
Replied by Cara Easton (Raeelle) on topic Ciphers from the Society
Gentlemen-

I appreciate the dedication to proper definitions and the lovely examples of connotation verses denotation in the common tongue, but can we please try to focus at the topic at hand?

Keladry- The society pays people to do its dirty work. They enjoy sending paid assassins and soldiers into Travance, either to target high value towns members or to attempt to gain information on something that is of value to them. They have attempted a few times before, though we were able to foil them both times, either by eliminating the threat or paying them off.

Alt : Laurel Astraeus

OOG: Rae L
Marshal
Card Staff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seth (Kurteth), Ephrem (bamore62)
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
01 May 2019 13:34 #17 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Paying them will only work for a time. Just remember that if you're trying to be peaceful about it.

-Chet

• Starling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 113
02 May 2019 19:30 #18 by Starling (starling)
Replied by Starling (starling) on topic Ciphers from the Society
The last that I'm aware of that Travance tangled with the Society of Benefactors was in late June of last year; they sent a mercenary army to Travance, and it was the leader of that army who was paid off -- and he was, to my knowledge, not a member of the Society. I doubt that any member who wanted to remain in the Society would accept a bribe.

Last year, we intercepted and decoded many of their communications, which I've kept copies of. I don't know if they will have bearing on this ominous message, as they mostly refer to events already concluded, but I will copy them here in case they become relevant:

on the pathway past the dragoon cairn two pm on the day of the feast wear white

his use of a known killer [here I lost several words, I believe it is the name of the mercenary commander?] concerns me what if he draws attention to the society's activities

his ambition goes far beyond normal games. how many pies does he have fingers in and how does he find us to give invitations to the society? I fear we are slowly passing beyond the scale of the society's original goal, but at the same time, I find it exciting. And how entertaining would it be to have a hand in placing the crown on a new head?

the nobles will be a threat, distract or eliminate them to disrupt resistance

the races represented in Pelindor mean nothing the agents in their lands assure us of their inconsequence

the captain values gold more than loyalty

move your troops toward Travance prepare for mixed foes attack the triage station

a society member will be overseeing procedures to ensure compliance they will be more than competent in martial and arcane matters

It is that third message that I feel is most relevant now. I know not whether the 'he' referred to in the third message might be the leader of the Society, Lord Stone, or both. I don't think I've heard the name (or pseudonym?) Lord Stone before. Is anyone else familiar?

Squire to Lord Angelica Tellinghast
Viceroy of Drega'mire

OOG: Alice Bryson
Marshal, New Player Rep
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reyna Del Dragon (reynadeldragon), Ephrem (bamore62), Evelyn Hawkes (krishickey)
05 May 2019 06:01 #19 by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby)
Replied by Verrill Lebastion (Wellby) on topic Ciphers from the Society
OH HEY, THEY LIKE PLAYIN WIT LETTERS! THAS NICE,

IM NEW TAH DEALIN WIT THIS KINDA VERMIN. WE SORT EM SAME AS THE REST WHEN THEY COME LOOKIN FER TROBLE?

ALSO SEEIN AS THEY LIKE THERE LETTERS AN MAY BE READIN THIS LET ME SAY TO ANY "GOONS" YE GOT, YALL SHOULD STEW ON COMIN ROUND HERE. CANT SPEND A SINGLE COPPER IFN YER IN A SHALLOW DITCH. FREE BIT OF TRAVANCIAN WISDOM FER YE THERE.

THANKS FER YER TIME
TOM BELL
RATCATCHER

Magistrate of Travance
R. Tzaareth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Verrill Lebastion,
House Elder of House Bastion
Xeno-theologist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OOG: -Ben .H
Monster Marshal
06 May 2019 20:55 #20 by Evelyn Hawkes (krishickey)
Replied by Evelyn Hawkes (krishickey) on topic Ciphers from the Society
There have been more ciphers intercepted since the last one we translated. Has anyone cracked those yet?

- Dr. E. Hawkes
06 May 2019 23:26 #21 by Reyna Del Dragon (reynadeldragon)
Talaniel, I've researched the name Lord Stone and found a suspicious amount of nothing. Almost to the point where it seems like he doesn't exist.

I was also given two other names to look into: the Tangeliostro Merchant Company and Petranova.

The Tangeliostro Merchant Company is a somewhat prosperous Kormyrian-based company which deals mostly in textiles. They are doing well enough that other companies have started to wonder at little at their good fortune. It was suggested to me that I look into any potential connection of theirs to the slave trade, although I did not find any.

As for the second name, Ludmilla Petranova is the name of an Argentian we faced last year. It turns out she had quite a hand in the slave trade and was feared for her taskmistress ways, punishments, and ruthless efficiency. My research also confirmed her connection to the Society.

I do not know what use these will be to people, but I can only hope that they will help someone's further research.

Reyna Del Dragon Reign
Master Witch Hunter

• Grashügel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Safety Marshal
  • Thank Yous: 241
07 May 2019 00:33 #22 by Grashügel (HAZMAT221)
Replied by Grashügel (HAZMAT221) on topic Ciphers from the Society
The Tangeliostro Merchant Company is indeed a customer of the Society of Benefactors , they have and currently purchase slaves from them. I have records of sale and interrogations documenting these transgressions.

As for Petranova, I have seen her name along with that of stone on numerous documents in the slaver camps I have liberated. Stone by all accounts is a high ranking member of the Society directly involved with slaver operations and is not one one to be trifled with. Their camps were highly organized and defended, good soldiers gave their lives in returning the freedom to those that had it stolen from them......

In addition, another name has to come to light. They bear the name Crux. Crux is no stranger to Travance, he made his mark on behalf of the Society in the Summer of 1215. He killed and hurt our people and took great pride in doing so..... it appears he will be making a return as well if the latest cipher is any indication. Do not underestimate him, he is a master assassin by all accounts who’s sole purpose is to tie up the loose ends for the Society.

I hope this additional information proves to be useful and that it may guide us in destroying this Kabal of misery. Be ready.

In Service,

Taylor Meise
The following user(s) said Thank You: O. Nesterin (kuemanner), Reyna Del Dragon (reynadeldragon)
  • Naranbaatar Aiki
  • Will generally just drink tea and eat sashimi
  • Thank Yous: 158
07 May 2019 11:25 #23 by Naranbaatar Aiki (aikichi)
Replied by Naranbaatar Aiki (aikichi) on topic Ciphers from the Society
Can someone please brief me as soon as I arrive at the proper?

I sense there is a lot of information here that I should be made aware of given my current position. As such will make time for anyone who would like to inform me.

Naranbaatar Aiki
Squire to Count Sebastian Everest, Warden of Kormyre
Former Warlord Castellan to Corvencia
Legionnaire Commander, Kormyrian Army
"In service to the people"

OOG Name: Robert "Ira" Torres [MARSHAL]
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 May 2019 11:37 #24 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
I've been taking notes, Chef, if you won't mind me blabbing at you at high speeds because I'll be drinking the bean water like nobody's business.

--Chet

• Ebony Hale
  • Go ahead, underestimate me. You will not be the first and you will not be the last... But you will be wrong.
  • Thank Yous: 60
07 May 2019 21:45 #25 by Ebony Hale (ChelseaYeats)
Replied by Ebony Hale (ChelseaYeats) on topic Ciphers from the Society
The second cipher has been cracked.

MLAEROXQBVANHRVKNVDPADLKZHRNPWSFZHWNZDDVMHAOLKZHHRVKADPNENLFAHTVNQMLRHWEQNQIDLMLRZNEPAESXHANLKZHHKOESFZHQOBA

Cipher: Playfair
Key: kwoxidreantmhlqfczbusypvg
Translation: There will be a message sent the day of their feast. Meet the messenger at 10 bells in the morning at the carved pole at the top of the hill.

Still working on the next one.

~Ebony Hale-MazoKisei
Knight of Cups of Albriar
Dean of Shamanism at Darkwood Academy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Safety Marshal
07 May 2019 21:57 #26 by Grashügel (HAZMAT221)
Cooperation will be imperative in regards to intercepting the message, such caution was not taken last year and it ended with a messenger escaping and the target being killed...... a group will need to be organized and a plan must be devised if we are to ensure proper retrieval of the message without tipping off the Society. I ask the Lords and Ladies to allow me the privldege of helping to oversee this matter.

In Service,

Taylor Meise
  • Grashügel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Safety Marshal
07 May 2019 22:19 #27 by Grashügel (HAZMAT221)
As for the third code.

It stated ,
“Someone is taunting the Society. I’m coming for him. You cannot stop me, but it is more fun if you try - Crux”

The keyword was Terzak.
Terzak and the Darkwood Academy have been warned and have taken appropriate precautions. Terzak has been contacted and he has assured that he is safe.

Aiki,

I would be happy to speak with you at the beginning of feast. This also goes for anyone who wishes to know more about the Society and their dealings.

In Service,

Taylor Meise
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fie! (Triminac)
07 May 2019 22:55 #28 by Reyna Del Dragon (reynadeldragon)
Sir Gras, I have a plan in the works for intercepting the messenger Saturday morning already and was about to post the message when I read Ebony's translation. Do you mind if I coordinate with you on that?

I would also like to speak with you further about the Society. I have a great interest in stopping them.

Reyna Del Dragon Reign
Master Witch Hunter

• Grashügel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Safety Marshal
07 May 2019 23:15 #29 by Grashügel (HAZMAT221)
Not at all, your input will be greatly appreciated, Reyna. We shall speak soon.

In Service,

Taylor Meise
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reyna Del Dragon (reynadeldragon)
  • Grashügel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Safety Marshal
09 May 2019 17:17 #30 by Grashügel (HAZMAT221)
For the last code, it states.....

At noon the day of the feast, attack the farm at the stone slab. Leave no one alive.

We must ensure that this does not come to pass. With that, we will need to ready for a possible trap..... this could also be a diversion. It is important that we try to discover the intent behind this and gather as much information as possible regarding what the society is ultimately planning.

Regardless, these farmers will need to be protected. I will see you all soon.

In Service,

Taylor Meise
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reyna Del Dragon (reynadeldragon), Ephrem (bamore62), Evelyn Hawkes (krishickey)
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.837 seconds