Umbral Stalkers

29 Jan 2020 13:15 - 29 Jan 2020 13:59 #1 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Umbral Stalkers was created by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
There were several attacks very late Saturday evening of a creature we're using the Kormyrian term for at the moment: An Umbral Stalker. If anyone has more information, it would be appreciated.

This is what we have from initial observations from someone who was there.

Ilana Darkwood
Lady of Pendarvin
Headmistress of Darkwood Academy
---
An analysis on Umbral Stalker - A report by Acer

The umbral stalkers are an apex predator with a developed and terrifying method of acquiring prey.

Rather than trying to hunt as a normal predator might, the Umbral stalkers have developed some very interesting tactics. One particular one is knocking on doors to buildings with people inside of it and capturing the victim after they open the door. They also tend to stalk shadowed parts of paths and envelop unsuspecting prey such as myself.

Strangely enough, rather than just consuming their prey in that moment, the Umbral stalkers seem to be able to transport their victims to a sort of lair or maze. They like to play with their food it seems, like a cat or lion would.

They seem to be pack beasts as there were multiple stalkers in this maze they put us in.

They had a supernatural ability to induce paranoia and fear which could be overpowered for a short amount of time, but chances of escape while affected was slim.

Their ability to transport or abduct people seems to be at ease for them as several times throughout my endeavor I suddenly found myself in a part of their lair separate from everyone else. Unfortunately for them, this scenario is very much in my element.

I have the suspicion that their weakness may be light which would make sense because the entire area where we were taken was devoid of any light or fire.
Unsure on how they track prey at this moment, they responded to sound, movement, and seemed to be able to be harmed though their numbers seemed endless.
---

Adding: They take anything they perceive as a weapon.

OOG:
Marcella Torres
Land System Deputy
New Player Marshal
Last edit: 29 Jan 2020 13:59 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sylviel Hillthorn (Salmonthaw)
29 Jan 2020 14:21 #2 by O. Nesterin (kuemanner)
Replied by O. Nesterin (kuemanner) on topic Umbral Stalkers
It has been a long time since I have come across any such creatures, never in Travance no less. Did we lose anyone to them?

Ser Oacenth Nesterin
Knight Advisor of Alisandria
Dragoon of House Melebrine

OOG: Nick Culberson
Player Rep
  • Aria
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 215
29 Jan 2020 15:31 - 29 Jan 2020 15:32 #3 by Aria (Aria)
Replied by Aria (Aria) on topic Umbral Stalkers
We did not lose anyone to these. But as someone who was taken by these. It is extremely terrifying to be talking to Orion walking on the path one minute and the next to wake up somewhere completely different. Acers' description is very accurate. I was lucky in that they did not recognize my focus for weapons and was able to buy us some time along with a few of the others until help arrived. It is not an experience I would like to have again, there were far to many of them to defeat as a small group.

Dame Tari Zhafirah Stonebar Deldragon of the Order of the Sagewardens
Dean of Arcane Studies of the Darkwood Acadamy of the Metaphysical Arts

Playing with fire is bad for those who burn themselves.  For the rest of us, it is a very great pleasure....
Last edit: 29 Jan 2020 15:32 by Aria (Aria).
  • Starling
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 113
29 Jan 2020 18:30 #4 by Starling (starling)
Replied by Starling (starling) on topic Umbral Stalkers
Star Globes can keep them at bay.

Their hunting tactic says something very important about their level of intelligence - they seem to seize prey that is not alone, and bring that prey to a more isolated area in the woods and then allow it to call for help, thus bringing a larger group of potential victims to aid the first person taken.

Squire to Lord Angelica Tellinghast
Viceroy of Drega'mire

OOG: Alice Bryson
Marshal, New Player Rep
  • Nalick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In the place where everything changes, but nothing ever does.
  • Thank Yous: 1440
29 Jan 2020 21:16 #5 by Nalick (NalickDeMarche)
Replied by Nalick (NalickDeMarche) on topic Umbral Stalkers
If my eyes could be believed, I cannot fathom the number I saw lurking, darting, watching. I strongly hope I'm wrong.

~Nalick DeMarche

• Aleister
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 1504
29 Jan 2020 23:55 #6 by Aleister (Aleister)
Replied by Aleister (Aleister) on topic Umbral Stalkers
From my experience during the excursion, these animals seek to draw targets into their territory to hunt. First they draw the prey into their hunting grounds by means of using some amount of prey as bait or luring though a form of taunting. With the prey inside their territory, they surround the targets and close in, leaving no means of escape. Beforehand, they appeared to use their natural metaphysical powers to disorient their prey and then push them around through intimidation, some force, and a mystical kind of relocation. They toy with their prey as a kind of persistence hunter tactic, slowly wearing them down by pack fighting, chasing, and separation. Once they wear out a target, they isolate it and attack.

These are my observations based on our encounter with the creatures a few nights ago. I know very little else about them besides this interaction.

It appears collectively our observations lead to show they are in fact persistence hunters, and the number of which we encountered indicate that they are an invasive species to the area. It is likely that they were intentionally brought here and set free with the plan to disrupt the ecosystem, or this could have been a horrific accident where one was somehow transported unknowingly. Though based on the commentary from several Selendrian allies here, it would appear their intelligence and folkloric nature implies their presence here is no accident. It might be wise to investigate any shipments that might have come from Selendrias as a first step to uncovering why we encountered these creatures. The alternative is that the means with which they were brought is much harder to detect or track.

Stars Light your Way,
Sq. Wrekk

Lord Admiral Aleister Demirosz, the Phoenix

-Steve Oros
Assistant Director
30 Jan 2020 00:12 #7 by Darius Goldmane ()
Replied by Darius Goldmane () on topic Umbral Stalkers
Does anyone have a physical description of these creatures?

Darius Goldmane
Lieutenant of the Baronial Guard
Vassal of Kaladonia

OOG - Ryan Kramer
30 Jan 2020 06:03 #8 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Replied by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood) on topic Umbral Stalkers
All I could be told of their tracks were bipedal hoofprints.

I will update my above notes when I can.

-Ilana

OOG:
Marcella Torres
Land System Deputy
New Player Marshal
30 Jan 2020 12:57 - 30 Jan 2020 13:21 #9 by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf)
Replied by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf) on topic Umbral Stalkers
Here's what I remember from stories I was told in Selendrias:

The Deloś-Feryth (Abhorrents of the Shade), or Umbral Stalkers were typically found in remote sections of the woods. Most of the stories centered around exploratory outposts in the deep woods, but them being bold enough to knock on doors and abduct people from their homes is an oddity that was only mentioned once in the many stories told about them.

They are cunning hunters, capable of using advanced hunting practices such as the ambushes Starling mentioned. Normally, they will hunt prey in small numbers, picking them off one by one, drawing fear and dread. Then they bring their victims to a hunting ground. According to survivors, they only kill their prey when they are their highest point of confusion and fear. According to veteran pathfinders back home, they are natural creatures with no magical signature. How they get their powers is unknown, as there is no discernable metaphysical aspect to them.

Something I noticed when facing them was that they do not like Sacred energy. It's not that they are weak to it, it's more that they don't like the light that comes from the power.

Kanas Silverfang

OOG: Jeremy Schwartz
Last edit: 30 Jan 2020 13:21 by Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf).
  • GJSchaller
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
31 Jan 2020 18:30 #10 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Umbral Stalkers
Is there any known connection to the Umbrae Viate, given their similar distaste for light?

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Garrett R
  • If you don't know where you're going, the enemy can't know where you're going
  • Thank Yous: 14
19 Feb 2020 19:38 #11 by Garrett R (Amhrán)
Replied by Garrett R (Amhrán) on topic Umbral Stalkers
Just how intelligent are they? Their hunting tactics, are they more like a pack of wolves, or do they seem to possess a level of intelligence that is on par with or possibly above that of people? Was there any kind of technique used in combat?

Kanas,
Are you sure there’s nothing metaphysical to them? Because the paranoia they cause in the area seems pretty damn magickal.

It all sounds like just some really weird Satyrs, but if you say that these things exist in Selendrian folklore then that is cause for concern.

Amhrán
[strike]Anam[/strike] Briste-Laoch
OOG: Garrett R
  • Magnus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • In fearful Day, In Raging Night...
  • Thank Yous: 483
23 Feb 2020 13:34 #12 by Magnus (hippy g0th)
Replied by Magnus (hippy g0th) on topic Umbral Stalkers
They taste similar to goat meat, infact i will be selling umbrall stalker curry at some point this feast since im try'n to go legit

R.E.D.

Matthew Majchrzak

ST

Lord General Magnus

"Not Dead Yet!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wili (), O. Nesterin (kuemanner)
Moderators: Damien (Damien)Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Time to create page: 0.626 seconds