Fecal Matter Happens

• geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
19 Aug 2008 13:19 #1 by geezer (geezer)
Fecal Matter Happens was created by geezer (geezer)
Someone broke the nose off one of the white knights of my large chess set.  Frankly, I expected that something like this would occur (I've had the set at 20 events and scores of combat situations have swirled around it), so I am not upset that an accident occurred.

I am upset, however, that the nose was placed next to the knight on the board and left for me to find, or perhaps be lost in another swirl of confusion.  If you placed them next to one another, you could have left a note or told me about it so I could prevent the nose from disappearing.  Its not like there is any doubt as to the owner of the set.

My thanks to (sorry I do not have your name) those guys in the corner who had a mask display at Market Faire and also had some super glue.  The Knight is as good as new.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
19 Aug 2008 13:40 #2 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic Fecal Matter Happens
That was Zachary, the leather worker. He's a top notch guy.

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
19 Aug 2008 14:20 #3 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Fecal Matter Happens

I am upset, however, that the nose was placed next to the knight on the board and left for me to find, or perhaps be lost in another swirl of confusion.  If you placed them next to one another, you could have left a note or told me about it so I could prevent the nose from disappearing.  Its not like there is any doubt as to the owner of the set.

I am not sure or doubt that everyone at game carries a piece of paper and a pen with them so they can leave such notes.  At least they left it next to the piece and just didn't bother tossing it into the trash.  As you said, you expected this to happen sooner or later...

As for doubt as to the owner or telling you verbally... what if it was a new player who did NOT know you and wasn't sure who to speak with?

Still, I am glad there was not more irrevocable damage and you were able to fix it without fuss.  Maybe at future events, the set should be placed off to the side or in with your personal effects until you need it or it is called for.  It is a nice set, after all.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Aug 2008 14:53 #4 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Fecal Matter Happens
I hardly play with it anymore, Paul.  Seems that even if I offer substantial odds and the privilege of taking back any move immediately after I make mine..  ::sigh::  Sometimes a good reputation does not work for you. :)  It has almost constant use by others throughout Friday night and Saturday night, however, so putting it away when I am not using it would only prevent others from playing.

Although it is more observed in the breach, one should have a penn at all times.  I have two.  They are cheap - $5.49 for 100 Bics at Staples.  Paper - hmm - again, I play a priest so paper is always at hand.  Pouches can hold almost anything we have been speaking about, but that would take a minimum of preparation. 

Better stop - my innate  sarcasm is rising.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Aug 2008 15:21 #5 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Pens I can see.  Everyone needs to write notes on their character cards.  As for scrap paper... you said you are a priest.  You carry paper... but I don't see a Dragoon doing it.

My large leather pouch is all ready filled to capacity with headbands, coin, character card, pen, item cards, and other IG items fitting with my character.  It wouldn't make sense for my character to have parchment and quill in his pouch IG.

I'm just saying Charles, your set was damaged, but the piece was placed with care next to it.  Don't make someone who may have done it accidently (my optimism peeking through here) read this and feel bad because they didn't have a piece of paper & pen handy to leave you a note about it.

Vassal of Alisandria
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Aug 2008 15:30 #6 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Fecal Matter Happens
Maybe I am missing something here Paul, but if one is near to brimming over with what you said you carry, how will a folded 3 x 5 index card or three make any difference?  Of course, we can recreate that great Monty Python sketch and realize you entered the wrong room.

BTW, you already have a pen, which is what I believe your reference to a quill meant, so all that is missing is the paper.  I actually carry a quill and ink as well, but then, I am a purist in some matters.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
19 Aug 2008 15:43 #7 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
A few 3 x 5 cards can make a huge difference.  You have a pouch filled with paper and cards.  How long does it take for you to dig through it to find the right item card for that wand/potion/item that dispels magic or heals the victim?  The time spent digging can be costly.  I used to carry paper for notes, but they kept getting tangled up in my headbands and other things so I got rid of them.  Also... they fall out when I would be pulling out other items from my pouch.  That has been my experience.  Maybe not the same for others... but I can understand why someone doesn't want to carry a lot of stuff in their pouch.

As for the pen/quill... I carry a pen for writing on my character card for OOG mechanics and Marshal stuff. I have to carry a pen.  Not everyone does.  After a fight, and the marshals ask for folks to mark off their cards, how many folks do you hear asking for pens?  I tended to hear a lot.  Or when there is learning/teaching going on... I keep hearing folks ask for pens...

Yes... they are cheap and not a huge deal, but not everyone carries one, is what I am saying.

Vassal of Alisandria
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
19 Aug 2008 17:37 #8 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Fecal Matter Happens
Please see: www.jamesckimball.com/howlongcanthisthreadtrulybelikeforreal
Thats said, I agree that Charlie was lucky the little broken piece was even put next to the knight. There are a number of legitimate reasons why the situation could have been much worse. I doubt that anyone intended maliciousness, otherwise the broken piece wouldn't have been picked up in the first place.
OK, now you guys can continue your conversation about pens and small pieces of paper... ;)

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
  • Ardentfyre
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 25
19 Aug 2008 18:41 #9 by Ardentfyre (Ardentfyre)
Replied by Ardentfyre (Ardentfyre) on topic Fecal Matter Happens

Not Found

The requested URL /howlongcanthisthreadtrulybelikeforreal was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Srsly?

-Jon

Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
    Order of the White Fox
        Master of Defense of the Mages Guild

[hr]
Jonathon G.
Rules Officer
  • Father Paul
  • Kitchen Marshals
  • Thank Yous: 1
19 Aug 2008 18:46 #10 by Father Paul (Father Paul)
Replied by Father Paul (Father Paul) on topic Fecal Matter Happens
Read the address
"how long can this thread truly be like for real"

Priest of Gaia
The Eyes in the Sky
oog Paul W.
  • Seamstress
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Sew much fabric, sew little time
  • Thank Yous: 1
19 Aug 2008 21:03 #11 by Seamstress (Seamstress)
Replied by Seamstress (Seamstress) on topic Fecal Matter Happens
Considering one of the main contributors/originator, how long have you got?  (and I don't mean Paul, DSW  :>)

OOG ~ Tina S ~ aka Seamstress
Primary Location 42°42' N, 75°11' W
Preferred Location 18°22'N, 78°14'W
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.578 seconds