Role Playing Damage (Important)

• Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
28 Aug 2008 16:40 #1 by Gallion (Gallion)
Role Playing Damage (Important) was created by Gallion (Gallion)
Role Playing Damage

I want to talk to you all about something that I feel is important, and I would appreciate it if you all took the time to read this post and truly consider what you read.

All too often I think that role-playing the damage you take has been viewed simply as an optional way to display good role-playing. I think that a big aspect of role-playing damage that is largely unrealized is that it is actually an important and almost vital form of communication in the Knight Realms battle system.

Consider this: In any given combat how do you know if your opponent is taking the hits that you believe are landing on them? You don’t. You have absolutely NO idea whether your opponent thinks that they blocked that blow that you are so sure was a solid hit. The only way you could know that your opponent took that hit is if they indicated to you in some form of “role-playing damage” such as a grunt or grimace of pain of some kind. 

Furthermore, in a battle where someone is not role-playing taking their damage, not only is their opponent completely unaware of what hits are being taken, but also any marshals that are observing the fight and attempting to marshal it, also have no idea what hits are being acknowledged. The result is extremely poor oog communication between players in the battle, and an inability to properly track or marshal the fight.

I believe that if you do not RP damage in combat in anyway, you are doing a disservice to the person you are fighting and the game.

Let me be clear about one thing. My definition of role-playing damage is ANY in-game indication to your opponent that you took the hit.  You do not have to stumble back and drop your guard. You do not need to role-play your damage so intensely that you give your opponent an advantage in battle. You could simply grimace and let out a quick verbal noise of pain. Doing so should not put you at a disadvantage in battle.

Now I understand that there are circumstances to be considered, such as what about a main mod boss being hit by a dozen weapon strikes a second. The answer to that would simply be that in those situations, you do what you can, and nothing else can really be expected of you. As a main mod boss, role-play taking damage as often as you can, but we’ll understand if in the chaos you cant RP every single hit.

Another situation one might ask about is what if you have 200 BP and get hit with 1 damage. Well, I would argue that you should still RP something, even if it was an in-game sarcastic “Ow” Another way to look at it is pain is pain, regardless of how much damage is done. BP’s is simply your ability to stay conscious in combat. Having 200 BP, doesn’t necessarily mean that a dagger slicing into your arm for 1 point of damage wont hurt.

Some game systems, have rules revolving around role-playing damage. I would like very much to refrain from creating such rules, but I am calling upon and challenging you to do your part in making the system that we have in place already work. The next time you are in combat and you take a hit, remember this topic and be sure to role-play damage in ANY way that will communicate your acknowledgment of the hit to your opponent or observers.

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
  • Secarius
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Cinis et Cinis Pulvis Et Pulvis
  • Thank Yous: 1
29 Aug 2008 02:03 #2 by Secarius (Secarius)
Replied by Secarius (Secarius) on topic Role Playing Damage (Important)
quick question... IF I may. in the instance where you gave where someone was creature with 200 BP and you got hit with a dagger for one BP or even a 2 handed weapon for say 5.. would it be acceptable to role play taking the hit in a form of taunting the person who hit you in (for example) saying something along the lines of "is that all you got?" or "come on give me more GIVE ME MORE!" or anything along those lines...

ALex S.
player of Brax the Barbarian
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
  • Thank Yous: 0
29 Aug 2008 06:25 #3 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Role Playing Damage (Important)
I don't think taunting is exactly..roleplaying the damage but then thats just me.  I know that if someone hit be with a broad sword, the last thing I would be doing is trying to taunt them. 

Its mroe registering the fact that you just got it.  A heavy intake of breath, an "ow" or even a grunt. 

OOG: Jo
  • dedrite
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • For the Emperor!
29 Aug 2008 07:49 - 29 Aug 2008 09:04 #4 by dedrite (dedrite)
Replied by dedrite (dedrite) on topic Role Playing Damage (Important)
You should base your reactions to your perceptions in reality.

If you were stuck in the arm with a sewing needle, it would hardly kill you, but you would react to the pain.  I would say do your best to react appropriately depending on your role and not just the simple body to damage ratio.  A good shot may agitate even an epic bad guy.  You could RP ignoring all other targets and start pursuing the lucky offender or just show growing rage with each hit.  To "taunt" may be OK for a tyrant or evil monologuer (salute to Matt White), but tends to get old if an pc or npc is being reduced to hamburger and still acts like a Khorne Berserker with the feel no pain rule. It would rarely happen. 

To sum up, I would say use your best judgement according to your role, but try to always show some sort of affect with each blow, consistant with how much damage or the special attack suffered.

-Brother Knight Templar Sabatheous Tellinghast-
Knight Templar of the Order of the Brilliant Hammer
Holy Inquisitor of the Church of Kormyre

Crudelius est quam mori semper timere mortem

"Nothing is ever forgotten"

((Joe Bondi-Marketing Officer))
Last edit: 29 Aug 2008 09:04 by .
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
29 Aug 2008 09:05 #5 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Role Playing Damage (Important)
The question of armor has not been addressed.  Let us say one has 4  body, but is wearing some armor, both mundane and divine.  She gets hit for 6, enough to drop her ordinarily, but that does not come close to concerning her due to the amount of protection she has. 

I've been playing it with at most a grunt until such time as my physical self is effected. 

I also tell those striking me for an amount insufficient to bypass the threshold of Divine Vestments that their blows have no effect.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • dedrite
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • For the Emperor!
29 Aug 2008 10:03 #6 by dedrite (dedrite)
Replied by dedrite (dedrite) on topic Role Playing Damage (Important)

To sum up, I would say use your best judgement according to your role, but try to always show some sort of affect with each blow, consistant with how much damage or the special attack suffered.

Even the impact will push you back if it blasts into your armor point total/vestment.  A grunt would be good for minimal damage.

-Brother Knight Templar Sabatheous Tellinghast-
Knight Templar of the Order of the Brilliant Hammer
Holy Inquisitor of the Church of Kormyre

Crudelius est quam mori semper timere mortem

"Nothing is ever forgotten"

((Joe Bondi-Marketing Officer))
  • brik
  • whatever
  • Thank Yous: 14
29 Aug 2008 12:04 #7 by brik (sonya)
Replied by brik (sonya) on topic Role Playing Damage (Important)
oh, I've been having trouble with this one lately.  I don't like the idea of stumbling back or anything so when I take hits i just make a noise, but lately now that I've started playing my goblin that method doesn't really work anymore!  i've tried making my breathing sound a little more shallow or sort of wincing, but those are both very small and i'm not sure if anyone even notices them.  anyone got any better suggestions that won't give me blatant disadvantages in combat ?

oog - sonya m.
29 Aug 2008 12:29 #8 by Birnum Pyre (Birnum Pyre)
Replied by Birnum Pyre (Birnum Pyre) on topic Role Playing Damage (Important)
Obvious body movement. You do not have to step backwards to show you took a hit. For example if I take a shot in the arm, just throwing your elbow back and dropping your shoulder would be a clear indication that your arm took some punishment, without making your have to lower your guard. Or if you take one to the leg bend the appropriate knee suddenly, it doesn't have to be much to be visible, so as to look like you were momentarily weakened, then straighten back up. Simple but clear changes in you posture are easy to spot by others, you would be supprised how aware of someones shoulders you are when looking at their face. Also if you happen to have a free and empty hand you could act like you are holding a fresh wound. You could use facial ex presions to show fatigue as your get closer to zero, or grimmaces for when you get struck. Your face is expressive, use it!

OOG:
Brendan O'Hara
  • LStarling
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Cursed Healer
  • Thank Yous: 20
01 Sep 2008 02:29 #9 by LStarling (Kwildar)
Replied by LStarling (Kwildar) on topic Role Playing Damage (Important)
I can personally vouch for Brendan's idea of body movement and facial expression.  I know the closer I get to zero, the more I tend to stumble, and lean heavily on my weapon, when I'm not directly swinging it, or in a guarding posture.  One thing to keep in mind is that being hurt in combat has lasting effects after the combat is over, until you are healed.  It also gets all those Healers' attention without having to vocalize it all the time.

--
Lawrence Starling -- IG
"Really, bee! I don't smell flower-y!"
Malcolm Mallardi -- OOG
01 Sep 2008 09:47 #10 by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)
Replied by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre) on topic Role Playing Damage (Important)
Also, if it doesn't by-pass Soak/Theshold, you should say "No Effect".  And thats all you need to say

In service to Kormyre,

Lord Alexander Renaudierre of Frostguard

~~~
Roy S.
  • brik
  • whatever
  • Thank Yous: 14
01 Sep 2008 20:36 #11 by brik (sonya)
Replied by brik (sonya) on topic Role Playing Damage (Important)
actually malcolm, all I need to do these days is walk up to a healer and stare at them.  if i do it for more than 3 seconds they get the picture and heal me hehe ! it's great

oog - sonya m.
  • Elyse!
02 Sep 2008 00:05 #12 by Elyse! (Elyse!)
Replied by Elyse! (Elyse!) on topic Role Playing Damage (Important)
-not elyse-

roleplaying damage being a disadvantage in battle seems to be a common concern, and has been addressed in several ways, but i feel the mark has been missed. experiencing pain or getting knocked back IS a disadvantage in combat. larp is not a sport, and "winning" should not be first priority, the roleplaying should be. the answer to this problem is simple: do as your character would, and combat will be more rewarding "win" or "lose".

-Block

Elyse!
(That's me.)
  • Daedri
02 Sep 2008 00:19 #13 by Daedri (Daedri)
Replied by Daedri (Daedri) on topic Role Playing Damage (Important)
I have a little over 50 bp by my last reckoning and  I was hit with a fireblast or whatever for 50 fire. I had something in the order of half a dozen hp left at any rate. I could have turned around charged this foolish kobold who blasted me and clobbered him all with 6bp. But I just took massive damage, My clothes are probably on fire as well as my hair. So instead of getting up I thrashed around on the ground until something else came over and finished me off.

This isnt me bringing out the RP yardstick to measure against anyone. But I put myself at disadvantages in the hopes that someone else will also do it, because its real. If I cut your arm with a sword in real life you would probably stop whatever it was you are doing and yell help. Thats an extreme case of wimpiness however and not cool in a fantasy world. But come on, I just hacked a chunk out of your arm, ouch.

Long story short if I crit you in the stomach for 14 Ice you better double over and make a 'hork' noise or im just going to headbutt you. Thanks for your time.

Daedri Elensar
Shipwright to the People

Craig Odell
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
02 Sep 2008 02:20 #14 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Role Playing Damage (Important)
You can skip that "cut off XXX in real life" stuff  because KR is kind of odd in that matter.  Who has not had a limb cut off?  On more than one occasion?  Almost everyone has experienced that rather unique (in the real world) sensation several times, and like anything else, one gets used to it after a bit in that the shock is not as great, one tends to know what to expect, etc.  One still reacts, but not like the first time.

Not many have the stiff upper lips of Englishmen, however.  At Waterloo, an aide (actually a Senior general) was sitting (on a horse) next to Wellington, looked down after a near miss by a cannon ball and said "I seem to have lost my leg."  Wellington looked over and remarked "Yes, I believe you have."  True story, accurately shown in the Christopher Plummer/Rod Steiger version of "Waterloo" which I recommend everyone watch June 18th or thereabouts.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
02 Sep 2008 06:31 #15 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Role Playing Damage (Important)
why wait until june to watch waterloo?!?

This is what you were talking about right?..  :-)

-OOG Michael Smith
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
02 Sep 2008 07:24 #16 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Role Playing Damage (Important)
Actually Charlie,
Craig is right.  One of the big big things I hate during combat is someone who has had a leg cut off casually hop over to a healer to get healed.

I'm very sure if someone took an axe to someone's leg, they would not be camly hopping there way over to a healer.  In fact, I would say that is flat out negative rp..especially if someone tries to pull a Black Knight as they loose an arm or a leg.  Maybe they will not freak out as much if its the 500th time they have lost an arm but there would still be shock and there most certainly would be pain.

OOG: Jo
  • Noctra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "Valar Morghulis"
02 Sep 2008 08:31 #17 by Noctra (Noctra)
Replied by Noctra (Noctra) on topic Role Playing Damage (Important)

-not elyse-

roleplaying damage being a disadvantage in battle seems to be a common concern, and has been addressed in several ways, but i feel the mark has been missed. experiencing pain or getting knocked back IS a disadvantage in combat. larp is not a sport, and "winning" should not be first priority, the roleplaying should be. the answer to this problem is simple: do as your character would, and combat will be more rewarding "win" or "lose".

-Block

thank you Alex.
This is exactly the point that James is trying to make.

Roleplay.

I understand the need for questions, but this ISN'T about winning, beating the system, etc. It is not being instated as a rule.
What we are asking is that you do YOUR best to roleplay damage, and let others know when they are effecting you.

It is supposed to be fun. Don't make it a chore.

thanks!

Sister Celestine Tellinghast
Paladin of the White Fox
The Order of the Brilliant Hammer

...and they shall know no fear
Time to create page: 0.632 seconds