Foul Language and KR

02 Mar 2009 20:14 #1 by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)
Foul Language and KR was created by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)
I noticed this weekend that the amount of cursing at KR has reached epic proportions.  I can honestly say I can't recall an event where I heard F--k said so many times and so loudly.  This really is not acceptable.  Staff and the RMs aren't here to be the language police, but we really need the players to tone it down a notch or two. 

What I mean by this is that screaming out curse words or loudly using curse words every other word simply won't do.  We really don't want to have to start giving out RVs for foul language but we can and will if the blatant stuff doesn't stop. I'm not saying we are going to give out a RV for every minor use of a cure word, I'm only talking about the really blatant stuff.

I'll be the first to admit I curse.  But I really try to limit myself from blatantly doing so.  Its important to remember that KR is designed to be young person friendly and we do allow kids to come when they are with their parent/guardian. 

So please try and keep the foul language down.  I can't be more serious when I say I really don't want us to have start giving out RVs over it.

In service to Kormyre,

Lord Alexander Renaudierre of Frostguard

~~~
Roy S.
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
02 Mar 2009 20:44 #2 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Foul Language and KR
Even beyond that hearing someone scream the F'Bom always at least for me seems overly anachronistic and take my mindset out of character. From an atmosphere perspective, screaming out modern curses really brings down the RP.

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
06 Mar 2009 17:57 #3 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
Replied by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix) on topic Foul Language and KR
Is it still permissible to curse for RP reasons, if the situation merits such?

-Alexandre Blythewood

OOG: Zach Theis
  • Amizar
  • Thank Yous: 47
07 Mar 2009 12:24 #4 by Amizar (Amizar)
Replied by Amizar (Amizar) on topic Foul Language and KR

Is it still permissible to curse for RP reasons, if the situation merits such?

...and, along these lines, can members suggest IG curses?  In "Wheel of Time," a fantasy book set back in about the same time as KR, they sometimes say "Blood and Ashes!" when the situation merits.

Got any more like this that we could use IG?

Thanks.

Imagination is more important than knowledge - Einstein

IG: Amizar Wuzwhir, Baronial Scribe
Editor Emeritus of The Travance Chronicle
OOG: Paul Shaffer
07 Mar 2009 14:01 #5 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Foul Language and KR
My personal favorite is from Raymond E. Feist's Magician: Apprentice  "Gods and Fishes!"

Though people did curse back in the day, there is the PG-13 rating to consider.  I will attempt to keep my language more flavorful with out the big bombs.

"May Malyc take you!"
"I only wish that Galadell is pre-occupied when your spirit leaves it's mortal shell."
"Gnome it all!"
"Great Hades' Horn!"
"By the foul breath of Uelrog"
"As foul as King Mardux's bed!"

-OOG Michael Smith
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
07 Mar 2009 14:18 #6 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Foul Language and KR
Or "I hope when you return home your mother runs out from under the porch and bites you."

The Bedouin should have colorful phrases.

As to the Gypsies...

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
07 Mar 2009 22:09 #7 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
Replied by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix) on topic Foul Language and KR
We certainly do have some colorful expressions.

-Alexandre Blythewood

08 Mar 2009 11:42 #8 by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)
Replied by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre) on topic Foul Language and KR
There are a great many ways to curse IG that don't use modern words.  The big culprit this weekend was the F-bomb.  Thats the one we definitely want to avoid.

In service to Kormyre,

~~~
Roy S.
08 Mar 2009 11:50 #9 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
F-bomb aside, if, in a very involved moment of roleplay, I were to call someone a word starting with a 'B', or perhaps refer to their mother with less-than-complimentary language, would that be acceptable?

-Alexandre Blythewood

• geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
08 Mar 2009 12:19 #10 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Foul Language and KR
Like "When I paid your mother for services rendered" or using mother as half a word?

I think you are obfuscating the issue by dancing around things, Zach.

In 1209 calling someone a bastard could be construed as a mortal insult, unless you could back it up.  It was and is amazing, that although many first children have a very short gestation, all subsequent children usually take 9 months. :).

OTOH, calling someone a boy was only an insult to their social development and had no racial overtones.

Bitch came to be used as a form of contempt sometime around Chaucer (he has some rather choice phrases, but not of a vulgar nature.  A great source for period insults).

Foul language were things like:
S'blood ( inappropriate in the KR theological setting)
God's wounds (also inappropriate in the KR theological setting)

Overuse of a word or phrase lessens its impact, as is obvious.  To use an IG example, I am certain we can all think of many people who casually throw such words about, so hearing them, while offensive, has little or no impact on the listener.  Have the same word uttered by the Baron or say, Annabelle, and the impact would be great.  All would sit up and take notice.

Bottom line, IMO, it is plain bad RP regularly to speak that way, as it is definitely not "period."

Find some innovative phrases.  Those playing Bedouin and Gypsies should take the point, as historically they did.  The former, due to feud and the resulting politeness that evolved to prevent mortal offense being taken, the latter as they had little inthe way of protection, and thus had to be careful of whom they offended. 

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • KyraOmega
  • Thank Yous: 0
08 Mar 2009 14:52 #11 by KyraOmega (KyraOmega)
Replied by KyraOmega (KyraOmega) on topic Foul Language and KR
There are also some wonderful curses in this comic series I read a long time ago called "Elf Quest" ...an example and one of my favorites would be " Oh Puckernuts!"

IG- Kizzy Vadoma
New to Travance

OOG- Kyra
Yes, that is my REAL oog name!
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
08 Mar 2009 20:23 #12 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Foul Language and KR
Discussion was getting out of hand and sinking to personal levels here - this thread is no longer open for discussion.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
08 Mar 2009 21:07 #13 by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)

F-bomb aside, if, in a very involved moment of roleplay, I were to call someone a word starting with a 'B', or perhaps refer to their mother with less-than-complimentary language, would that be acceptable?

Zach,
To answer your question, not really.  There is no need for yelling out modern day curse words at KR.  With that said, we aren't looking to be the language police as I said earlier.  I personally only comment to a person when they are being loud about it or let go a real litany of profanity.

In service to Kormyre,

~~~
Roy S.
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
08 Mar 2009 22:21 - 08 Mar 2009 22:43 #14 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Foul Language and KR
I am only making a post here, becuase I was away from the weekend, and was told that things got very heated. I will preface this by admitting, that I do not know exactly what has been fully said about this topic, but I felt the need to point out the fact that this should not have been a topic for cause of such drama.

I really think this entire topic was being blown out of proportion. Roy was the one who brought this up but at the same time he admitted that he wasn't looking for us to be language police, nor do I think that we need to be policing peoples language. Language happens, its organic, and its no ones intention to stifle RP, I think the purpose of this thread was to make people more aware of their use of it, in hopes that they would consider policing themselves a bit.

I completely back up Roy, in that I myself don't like to hear an excessive use of modern profanity at the game, especially at times when it simply seems unnecessary. At the same time however, I don't think that we intend to be overly anal-retentive about it, I don't think Roy was suggesting that either.

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
Last edit: 08 Mar 2009 22:43 by .
08 Mar 2009 23:03 #15 by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)

At the same time however, I don't think that we intend to be overly anal-retentive about it, I don't think Roy was suggesting that either.

That would be very correct.  I'll say it again just to be clear for everyone, I only intend to comment to someone when they are being really loud about it or are very much over the top with it.  I curse myself at times :)  I'm certainly not about to be a hypocrite over language.  But we all need to control ourselves so we don't take it too far, which is where I felt it has gone recently.

In service to Kormyre,

~~~
Roy S.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.568 seconds