The Fate of Sunday Gameplay

• northstarpn
  • When God hands you lemons you FIND A NEW GOD
  • Thank Yous: 0
11 Mar 2009 00:27 #31 by northstarpn (northstarpn)
Replied by northstarpn (northstarpn) on topic The Fate of Sunday Gameplay
I've only been to 2 events so far, but from the ones I was at, I got the impression that lay-on was more than just the arbitrary time when the game starts. It's the official start of the weekend! It's the countdown to that magical, mystical moment when OOG camp daddy-allen or wherever we are turns into Travance!

Missing it is like missing opening prayer for mass... or something. And besides, this thread isn't about what we do on friday, it's about what we do on sunday!

....right?

Peter Nerino
aka Nikolai
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
11 Mar 2009 00:40 #32 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic The Fate of Sunday Gameplay
What we need to help with lay-on, sundays, and a great new way to get KR even more popular.... take a page from modern technology and business today.

Introducing KR On Demand Service!  ;)

That's right.  As soon as you get to camp, or on Sunday, or whenever you feel like it... order a KR mod on-demand and enjoy!  ;D  All you need is your character, the right equipment, and a blank check made out to James C Kimball and soon you'll be enjoying the latest mods and on-demand service that is available.*

[size=6pt]* on-demand service is not liable or a promise of actual mods, but a way to entice James and the rest of staff to get going on some stuff and to have fun/poke fun of the very idea of trying to please everyone all the time.  :-*[/size]

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
11 Mar 2009 00:47 #33 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic The Fate of Sunday Gameplay
Ya not to be a wet blanket... but all the talk of earlier lay-on is really off topic :) The topic is about Sunday game play. 

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
  • Jarons20
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 1
11 Mar 2009 00:54 #34 by Jarons20 (Jarons20)
Replied by Jarons20 (Jarons20) on topic The Fate of Sunday Gameplay
Someone may have mentioned this but sunday seems that everybody gets up comfortably not as late as on sat morning, since after Main mod, not much happens and you can sleep, should there be massive things happening Sat-Sun night when people need the energy to drive, and at the same time, I have met resistance to people when sent to cabins as anything NPC on Sunday morning, but if it was a precursor to the next event I think people would be more up for it, and might create some great moments which could always be posted on the Dragonclaw board and the rumours, so that players feel they have something of news or conjecture about what is coming.

OOG - Jason Arons
  • Tyra Silverfang
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I eat dark god babies...
  • Thank Yous: 0
12 Mar 2009 01:08 #35 by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing)
Replied by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing) on topic The Fate of Sunday Gameplay
I have to agree that if Sunday mods are set up well then it can be very fun. As Sonya said earlier, the "Pyre Goose Chase" was pretty cool as far as involving plot on Sunday's, but that was the first event i played my gypsy so i was running around with no skills to see him and getting stuck on briars with all of my scarves. But i did have a blast (except for being allergic to evergreens and running into a bunch of them).

I usually just relax Sundays. Its a great time for me to catch up with higher level characters i'm friend's with IG but who were too busy off killing much scarier things than me lol. I also like to use Sunday as my "skill learning" time. Most of the time i go into an event having no clue what i want to learn and by talking to other players throughout the weekend and discussing what would be more beneficial to my character really helps me to figure out what skills i want to pick up. Plus certain things i won't learn until i have a god IG reason (i.e. picking up the Witch Hunter list). I knew i wanted to go Witch Hunter OOG and IG it seemed appealing as well, and so during the October event, Thomas and Pes killed Rayven so that gave me great IG reason to go Witch Hunter.

I have to say i really like Sundays because of the IG socializing and the learning opportunities :-) even if i'm too low a level to find Pyre in a haystack i still usually have fun no matter what goes on!

"There is a difference between a hero and a coward. A Hero wakes willing to risk death. A coward wakes wishing for it."

OOG: Adi
12 Mar 2009 16:17 #36 by Father Zahir al Nawar (Zahir)
Replied by Father Zahir al Nawar (Zahir) on topic The Fate of Sunday Gameplay
Sundays:
A perfect wind down day, in which a single light/non plot related mod could be run. More of a day for learning things that you were unable to learn throughout the weekend or socializing with other PC's.

While I think it would be important to have a set in stone Clean Up Hold time so PC's know the time frames to work in, we shouldn't do away with Sunday. I find that ending the entire game on saturday night/very early sunday morning a bit anti-climactic and abrupt.

My 2 cents.

Chris

Father Zahir ibn Hatim al Nawar
Priest of Brazen

oog: Chris Ayala;
Monster Marshall
  • Kendrick
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 4
19 Mar 2009 10:34 #37 by Kendrick (Kendrick)
Replied by Kendrick (Kendrick) on topic The Fate of Sunday Gameplay
I can only remember one event where main mod was Sunday but it did go very well and made for some good future plot stuff. Sunday mods have been never the type of thing wehere you felt bummed out about missing, so they do need a hook to make it work.

My real life responsibilities preclude me from ever being around on Sundays anymore, but I think making it worthwhile will make a big difference. Lemming goblins making suicide runs into the Inn won't.

PS To go back to what was mentioned about Fridays, several years ago we used to be allowed to come to game as early as the camp allowed and start to RP if desired, It allowed for learning and interraction and even more importantly, time to do sorcery and ceremonies. I don't know what ever happened to it, but I always felt it worked.

Brother Kendrick Maeldun
Paladin of the White Fox

oog Chris K
21 Mar 2009 17:43 #38 by Ardis Dar'Hanna (ArdisDarHanna)
Replied by Ardis Dar'Hanna (ArdisDarHanna) on topic The Fate of Sunday Gameplay
I am strongly in favor of keeping Sundays ig until cleanup, but i do think perhaps there needs to be a greater consideration for events, such as this past one, that end up being messier that others thus taking more hours to clean.
Sundays should stay because (of all these reasons I'm sure have already been said but I just skimmed through cause well there's 5 pages)
1) it does help those who for what ever reason during the meaty part of the event couldn't find time or find someone else with the time to learn something, helping their character progression by not making them wait yet another month to get a skill.
2) It allows rp that may not have happened due to inevitable interruption by any number of factors that would be found during the thick of the main plot.
And 3) Sunday is one of the things that sets this game apart not many other games run through Sunday and I find it leaves the weekend with and unsatisfactory conclusion. It's like reading a book, how would you feel if the story just ended right at the climax? You're left with too many questions. Will they live happily ever after? Will there be a sequel? Is there a surprise twist? There's just too much left unsaid.
I'm gonna stop now cause I can see this getting lengthy. There's my two cents.

Teresa S.
(ig: Veronica Archangel)

T
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.535 seconds