Let there be Light!

• Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
10 Aug 2009 16:26 #1 by Gallion (Gallion)
Let there be Light! was created by Gallion (Gallion)
Let there be Light!

So I see this store called the Christmas Tree Store, and I think to myself why is this thing the size of a wal-mart, and what kind of Christmas trees is it selling in August?

I go in, and sure enough it is a glorified dollar store, many bins and shelves of items priced well, but not great quality. As I was about to leave this crappy store never to enter again, my eye was caught by the last shelf… as it contained fake pillar candles. The LED kind that you normally see on sale at BB&B for 18 dollars apiece, in fact they looked identical to those, accept these ones where 2.99 a piece. I thought to myself these have got to be crap… but I purchased two anyway, and the experimentation began.

I had two. One with the 2 AAA batteries that it came with, and one with 2 brand name AAA batteries. First of all, the amount of light they both gave off was GREAT! About twice as much light at least as one of the good taper candles we have. Secondly they took 2 AAA batteries instead of 4, which all others I have seen take. They where made of wax, and had the cool drippy effect on the sides. They where 3x6 in size.

The Candle with the batteries it came with lasted about 48 hours before dying. The Candle with the brand name Duracell, lasted over 60 Hours before it began to considerably dim and around 80+ before it looked ready to replace the batteries.

SOOooooo… I have no idea why these things are so damn cheep, but I just bought about 50 for the game. Going to test them over the next few months and see how they go.

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
  • Aleister
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 1504
10 Aug 2009 16:35 #2 by Aleister (Aleister)
Replied by Aleister (Aleister) on topic Let there be Light!
so your saying rogues will no longer be able to use hide in shadows while standing over a candle and well actually be able to see inside the inn?

Lord Admiral Aleister Demirosz, the Phoenix

-Steve Oros
Assistant Director
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
10 Aug 2009 16:37 #3 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Let there be Light!
Along those lines...

Shortly after the new Lighting rules were posted, I came across these on Amazon:

www.amazon.com/Finger-LED-Light-4-Pack/dp/B000UPHEIQ

There's a 4 pack, and a 40 pack.  They would make EXCELLENT use for Light spells, and are just the right power level.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
10 Aug 2009 16:47 - 10 Aug 2009 16:55 #4 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic Let there be Light!
My brother ordered those a while back.  I am still running of the same finger light he gave me a year and a half ago.  Bright enough to light the way, and only distracting if you intentionally shine it in someone face.  I average about 1-2 hours of use per event.  So were talking that thing got well over 30+ hours of use so far and still kicking.

I actually JUST ordered another 4 lights.  If they manage to make it to me by the event, Ill bring them if people need them.  "Estimated delivery date 8/14-8/28"  Gotta love the wide range there... lol

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
Last edit: 10 Aug 2009 16:55 by .
  • hecknoah
  • Thank Yous: 0
10 Aug 2009 20:52 #5 by hecknoah (hecknoah)
Replied by hecknoah (hecknoah) on topic Let there be Light!
This may be because I'm a no class stereo-typical New Jerseyite, but half of the stuff in my childhoom home came from the Christmas Tree Store.  It was almost the only place my mom shopped.  I believe that they sell odd lots and other unsold merchandise and overstocked goods auctioned off by other retailers.  Every time you go in it's like a new store.

Noah
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.493 seconds