If you spot a "Missing" post (Blank subject or body)...

• GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
07 Oct 2009 17:15 #1 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
If you spot a "Missing" post (Blank subject or body)... was created by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
It looks like during the upgrades, some posts decided to go into hiding.

The posts are not gone, they are just not showing up for some reason after I updated the website.  I can coax them back out of hiding, but need help tracking them down.

If you come across one of these posts, please post it here (or PM me if it's on a Marshal forum), and I'll take care of it.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Oct 2009 20:24 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic If you spot a "Missing" post (Blank subject or body)...
I was able to fix the missing posts, but Stacy then found some corrupted posts, and I had to go back to a backup of the forums from 7:45 PM today... we lost about a 30 minute window (between 7:45 and 8:15 when I restored it).  Sorry about that!

I'm still looking into a way to recover the missing posts as a whole, without corrupting anything else or losing more data.

Steward of Elvalion
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Oct 2009 23:28 #3 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic If you spot a "Missing" post (Blank subject or body)...
Argh.

I tried again to fix this, and wound up losing any posts made between 11:00 and 11:30 PM - one from Bill, one from Mike Smith.  Sorry about that, guys.

I'm done for now - as I find posts, I'll try to fix them by hand, or look for a less destructive way to fix this.

Steward of Elvalion
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Oct 2009 12:49 #4 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
I'm getting reports that PMs are also going blank.  I've got a bug report in with the authors of the website code - if I need to make any changes, I'll schedule downtime and set the forums into Maintenance Mode to prevent any more lost posts.

Steward of Elvalion
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Oct 2009 17:19 #5 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
I think I have it narrowed down to (old) posts that have special characters in them, such as opening / closing quotes, foreign symbols, etc.  The good news is, this may help us solve it sooner...

More as I get feedback from the developers.

Steward of Elvalion
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
09 Oct 2009 10:11 #6 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
I've disabled some of the "extras" like the member map, Forum Rules, and a few other things while troubleshooting this.  They will be re-enabled once the missing posts are restored.

Steward of Elvalion
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
10 Oct 2009 16:34 #7 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
The bug has been found, fixed, and documented by the people who originally wrote the code, so we should be in good shape now - all PMs and Posts should no longer be missing their subjects or bodies, and those silly <?> symbols should be gone now, too.

If you see any other issues with blank posts ONLY, please report them here - other bugs should go in the Welcome thread.

Thank you for your patience while we hunted this one down!

Steward of Elvalion
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.477 seconds