Parking people in at Sac

10 Jan 2010 11:47 #1 by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
Parking people in at Sac was created by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
At the event this weekend, almost every single car parked along the fence was blocked in by another car, myself included.  This is a serious problem guys and gals, and it REALLY has to stop.  I know that staff has addressed the issue and made announcements about it countless times, but for some reason, people continue to do it.  I mean, if nothing else, if you're going to block someone in leave a note on your car stating who it belongs to and a cell phone number so that the person you're blocking can attempt to track you down.  When I went to leave at 4:00 am Saturday morning I actually had to take apart a section of the fence to get out so that I could go to work because I couldn't find whose car was blocking me in.

The long and the short of it is, please just use the second parking lot.  It's only about 100 yards away, and we're all more than willing to walk / run far longer distances than that over the course of the event, so why not for parking?  It really is a serious issue because while it was merely an inconvenience to me (albeit a big one), if there had been a medical emergency and that person was blocked in, it could be a disaster.

Thanks.

--Sean

Skimmel
RP Marshal, Rules Marshal, Storyteller
  • Damien
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 145
11 Jan 2010 10:33 #2 by Damien (Damien)
Replied by Damien (Damien) on topic Parking people in at Sac
I agree.  Blocking in peeps is a pain.  In my case I blocked in Chris at his instruction.  Definitely getting the ok before hand is a big deal

[hr]
Victor Sylus, Baron of Travance
OOG: Damien A.
  • Capt Locke
  • Thank Yous: 10
11 Jan 2010 11:30 #3 by Capt Locke (Jonathon)
Replied by Capt Locke (Jonathon) on topic Parking people in at Sac
Same here. Katie and I parked behind Kelly and Mark and when they had to leave after our plot was over, we moved our car and they left. Getting permission is key.

Captain Alexander Locke, Dread Pirate
The Sleaziest Sleaze of the Seven Seas

OOG: Dave Morris
The Napoleon of Gypsy Genocide
  • Kleidin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 152
11 Jan 2010 17:31 #4 by Kleidin (Kleidin)
Replied by Kleidin (Kleidin) on topic Parking people in at Sac
I think it may be a good idea to have a 'sign in' in logistics w/make/model/plate number and state + driver -

this would be a way to track whose car is parked inproperly, lights accidentally left on, problem in any other way.

Lady Kleidin du Tenkukai Weaveforger Laurent-Belmont of Kaladonia
Master Witch Hunter, and Elder Druid
OOG: Diane Sodher
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
11 Jan 2010 19:14 #5 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Parking people in at Sac
I would like to point out something here... a number of folks say they don't mind being blocked in by someone they know.  However, I still think this is not as it should be.

Example: Mike Jones is blocked by John Smith & they know each other & are aware.  John Smith goes on a mod and is at Totem Pole Hill.  Mike Jones gets a call his wife is giving birth.  As good as knowing the person blocking him in, Mike Jones is still stuck and can't get out until John Smith gets back from the mod.

Sean gave a great example of leaving at 4 am.  Even if he did know who blocked him in, finding that someone at 4 am on a large camp wouldn't be that easy.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
11 Jan 2010 19:59 #6 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Parking people in at Sac
More importantly...

3 new players show up.  They see a 2nd row of cars, blocking people in, and conclude that it must be OK, because other people are doing it.  So they do it too, without telling anyone.  They don't know that we're been posting about this, they have never been to an event before, and they don't know who they just blocked in.  And when we make the announcement "Please don't block other people in" and 5 cars are still there because the drivers think it's OK, the rule doesn't apply to them... so everyone else ignores the request, too.

And then Skimmel has to go dismantle a fence.

It's simple.  DON'T DO IT.  If I give someone permission to break a rule, by overcasting for that one healing spell for me to get me up, that's cheating - it wrecks the game for everyone else playing when the two of us decide to agree to break the rules.  Same applies here - you break the rules, and everyone else either winds up suffering for it.

We considered getting license information for every car at one point, but really?  We're not a parking agency.  The Staff has enough work as it is.  If you're old enough to drive, you should be old enough to act responsibly when it comes to respecting other people OOG at the game.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Secarius
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Cinis et Cinis Pulvis Et Pulvis
  • Thank Yous: 1
12 Jan 2010 21:53 #7 by Secarius (Secarius)
Replied by Secarius (Secarius) on topic Parking people in at Sac
example of when it was a medical emergency:

at a previous event a friend of mine called me early saturday morning telling me they forgot their insulin @ their home (knowing that i would be in the area and have a car) it took me 30 minutes to find the person who had parked me/charlie in.. who it was is irrelivant the point being this was a medical emergency that was delayed greatly by people double parking.

ALex S.
player of Brax the Barbarian
  • Shiver
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 129
14 Jan 2010 07:17 #8 by Shiver (Shiver)
Replied by Shiver (Shiver) on topic Parking people in at Sac

I think it may be a good idea to have a 'sign in' in logistics w/make/model/plate number and state + driver -

this would be a way to track whose car is parked inproperly, lights accidentally left on, problem in any other way.

I tried this a while ago but it met heavy reisitance and was not followed through.  I would be happy to add it to the staff discussion for Monday and report on the outcome.

Lucius Blackthorne
Lord of Alisandria

Guild Officer of The Black Orchid Merchant Company

Of the Ram and Raven

“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

"The godly tongue distills honey, mankind's tether of amber and gold. This is my verdict.

For neither are kingdoms conquered by iron, Nor dies the mighty by the spear.

Men are felled by what they fail to believe in."

((Joe Bondi-Marketing Officer))
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.493 seconds