Epilespy - What to do...?

• Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
13 Jan 2010 14:02 - 13 Jan 2010 14:06 #1 by Matt D (MattD)
Epilespy - What to do...? was created by Matt D (MattD)
So, as some of you learned, I have epilepsy.  Epilepsy is basically a condition where my body will go into violent convulsions for a brief period of time.  It can be scary to witness, but is much less serious than it looks.  I would simply like to clarify what to do in the event that you do witness a seizure.  

First off, the most obvious thing to do would to get either Jackie M. (Evadne), or Ann Alexandrowicz (Ekatarina McKraegor), or anyone else that is EMT certified.  There is no need to panic, and also no need to call 911 (in my case), mainly because there is nothing that the paramedics can do for me that you people can't do yourselves.  If the paramedics are called, basically they will arrive well after the convulsions have stopped, and simply have me lay down and rest, whether its on the campground or in a hospital bed.  If however when I have the seizure I fall and hit my head or injure myself in such a way that I SHOULD be hospitalized, that is a different story.

Now, what can you do to help if I have a seizure?  It may be a scary thing to witness at first, but once the convulsions have stopped, you CAN move me.  I suggest moving me to a bed or something soft to lay down on for a few hours.  Also, when I am convulsing, there is a very likely chance I will bite my tongue, so do not be alarmed if I am bleeding a little from my mouth.  Just make sure that I am more or less on my side to prevent me from swallowing blood.  And by the way, it is an old urban legend that I can swallow my tongue when I'm convulsing.  The reality of it is that I can choke on blood coming from a bitten tongue.

I am on medication for epilepsy, and will have it with me at the event.  However, simply put, once I have a seizure, it is too late to give me medication.  My medication is preventative.  Once I have the seizure, there is nothing my medication can do to help, except prevent a future seizure, so it's ok to wait until I come to completely to get me my medication.

Now, if there is anyone out there that has any questions for me, or that has epilepsy themselves, I encourage you to post and let us know.  If you'd rather ask me privately, by all means PM me.

Again, I apologize for scaring people this past event, and I appreciate all the help from everyone that was involved.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
Last edit: 13 Jan 2010 14:06 by .
  • Sirides
  • Thank Yous: 0
13 Jan 2010 14:24 #2 by Sirides (ChrisZ)
Replied by Sirides (ChrisZ) on topic Epilespy - What to do...?
I am a Combat Medic for the USAF. Is there a registry at KR to put down my name incase of an emergency along with the other EMT's?

OOG: Chris

IG: Siri'des Vael'senwe
13 Jan 2010 14:44 #3 by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar)
Replied by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar) on topic Epilespy - What to do...?

I am a Combat Medic for the USAF. Is there a registry at KR to put down my name incase of an emergency along with the other EMT's?

Talk to James, he was gathering a list of people with CPR and other Trainings.

This is my request if Matt has another seizure. Even if Jackie M (or any other EMT) is found, someone find me anyway.

One thing that can be done that Matt did not mention in his post is to put a pillow, hoodie/cloak or something squishy under his head so that its not on the ground cause there can be rocks or just hard ground.

Templar Ekatarina Esmeralda Kisslinger McKregar, Prophet of the Kindred Oak

Neina Avaren

OOC: Ann A.- Logistics Marshal
13 Jan 2010 16:30 #4 by T. Grumblegut (Yngwie)
Replied by T. Grumblegut (Yngwie) on topic Epilespy - What to do...?

I believe that in order to do any sort of medical care at the camps you need to have paperwork registered with the ranger, or something along those lines. You should talk to James if you're interested in this.

-Alex

Alex T.
Rules Marshal
  • Sirides
13 Jan 2010 16:53 #5 by Sirides (ChrisZ)
By law I am forced (Not that I don't like helping people) to help anyone that comes to harm no matter what the situation. If I neglect a patient no matter what the circumstance, I face judicial and military punishment.

So I don't think I would need paperwork.

• Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
13 Jan 2010 17:21 #6 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Epilespy - What to do...?
You should still talk to James, remember this is an insurance issue on the game's end as well.

Just to clarify something Matt said to anyone reading this,  please do not feel obligated to post or message any other player concerning any medical condition you may have - that is your choice.  However, please do make sure that Staff knows in case of an emergency, and contact James.

Thanks!

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • Ardentfyre
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 25
13 Jan 2010 17:28 #7 by Ardentfyre (Ardentfyre)
Replied by Ardentfyre (Ardentfyre) on topic Epilespy - What to do...?
This is the topic James C. Kimball (The Director of Knight Realms) posted a few months ago about Medical Certs, feel free to either post there or contact him directly.

www.knightrealms.com/forums/index.php?to...&highlight=first+aid

Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
    Order of the White Fox
        Master of Defense of the Mages Guild

[hr]
Jonathon G.
Rules Officer
  • Sirides
13 Jan 2010 20:09 #8 by Sirides (ChrisZ)
Cool, thank you Ardent :)

• Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
13 Jan 2010 20:16 #9 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic Epilespy - What to do...?
Thanks Kristen.  She's right, you don't HAVE to post here, its a matter of personal preference.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.555 seconds