Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill

• GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
01 Feb 2010 22:48 #1 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill was created by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
The Druid Promotional Skill (Skin of the Chameleon) has been replaced with the following:

Transmute Form
Event Based; 5 Build
The caster, along with any possessions they are carrying, changes form to that of their Totem Animal. The change takes five seconds of concentration to perform, and the Druid may change between animal and native forms as many times as they wish within an hour of the ability being invoked.  The druid immediately reverts to native form at the end of an hour.  While in animal form, the caster retains only their Body Points, and the ability to call any skills or latent effects of a defensive nature.  The Druid retains their intelligence, but cannot communicate unless an ability is used on them that allows communication with animals by another character.  The use of a mask or other appropriate representation is strongly encouraged.  While in animal form, the druid also gains 30 build worth of lower list skills, Druid Points, or Body Points (at a 3:1 ratio) that are approved by the director and deemed to be appropriate for the animal totem, which will be noted on the Druid's card. The following skills are also available:
  • ( 2 ) Small Claws: Druid may use a pair of small weapon sized claws while in animal form, that deal 1 damage each.
  • ( 4 ) Large Claws: Druid may use a pair of 1-handed weapon sized claws while in animal form, that deal 2 damage each.
  • ( 10 ) Might (Prerequisite - Small or Large Claws): The Druid may use any Strength or Weapon, Brawling, or Martial Arts Prof skills from their native form while in Animal form, with the claws (Weapon Profs apply to both claws, even if the skill is for a specific hand).  A Druid with Might has hardened claws, and does not take damage to them.  Additionally, if they have the spell Maul, they may Surge Cast and Weapon Cast it, and only that spell, while in Animal Form.
  • ( 10 ) Flight: This ability allows the caster to fly instantly to a height of twenty feet in the air as long as the character stands with her arm outstretched and palm raised face out. The caster can only move at a slow walking pace while flying. While flying, the Druid may use skills granted to them by their Animal Form, or any defenses they may have.  The character can lower herself completely and safely to the ground so long as she is maintaining the ability, but if the ability ends for any reason while she is flying, she immediately falls to the ground with the normal force of gravity.  A character that is flying may not attack a target on the ground - they must land first to do so.  After landing (for any reason) you may not take off again for 10 minutes.
  • ( 8 ) Stealth - As per the Master Rogue skill.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Chris G.
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Our Life is Made by the Death of Others...
  • Thank Yous: 95
01 Feb 2010 23:30 #2 by Chris G. (Cross)
Replied by Chris G. (Cross) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
Never before have I wanted to play a Druid as hard as I do right now... I currently envy all druids...

[hr]
Squire Lucas R. Brand
Squire to Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
--
Tanis Rily'anna
--
OOG: Chris Goley
Mook
02 Feb 2010 13:10 #3 by Alexander Van Zandt (Logan)
Replied by Alexander Van Zandt (Logan) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
Questions:

What happens when offensive effects are upon a person before using Transmute Form. For example, target has +2 damage from a battle cry then uses transmute form. Or target has spirit of the dragon active then calls transmute form, do they still receive the +2 damage in each case or do they not get the damage and only the body from spirit of the dragon?

If your totem has Might can you use your own Druid point pool to cast Maul or only the DP you have bought at a 3:1 ratio with the promo build?

Alexander Van Zandt
Sword of Mercy

oog: Matt W.
02 Feb 2010 13:38 #4 by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF)
Replied by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
Is it possible for a Druid to Transmute in to different animal forms IE you turn in to a Lion for combat, but a hawk to take flight. or is it totem specific?

Jurgur'mosh GoreTusk
free orc
(OOG-Matt F)
  • Malyc
  • Blue Blaze Irregular
  • Thank Yous: 0
02 Feb 2010 14:27 #5 by Malyc (Malyc)
Replied by Malyc (Malyc) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
Could this allow me to play Honest Treeworthy: Owl Psychologist? 

He'd be an adorable owl who wears a tiny pair of spectacles, and though he only tweets and twists his head at odd angles and swoops down to catch the occasional shrew...all his patients come away feeling better, and with a new understanding of themselves.

Random Quote:

Fogrom: "Mr. Treeworthy, Mr. Treeworthy!  This man, he's gone insane!  Can you help him?"

Honest Treeworthy: "Find someone who gives a hoot...me." *transforms into an owl with tiny spectacles*

Malyc Weavewarden

(Jeramy you dolt!)
02 Feb 2010 14:30 #6 by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF)
Replied by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
wow you win

Jurgur'mosh GoreTusk
free orc
(OOG-Matt F)
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
02 Feb 2010 19:13 - 02 Feb 2010 19:15 #7 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill

Could this allow me to play Honest Treeworthy: Owl Psychologist?  

He'd be an adorable owl who wears a tiny pair of spectacles, and though he only tweets and twists his head at odd angles and swoops down to catch the occasional shrew...all his patients come away feeling better, and with a new understanding of themselves.

Random Quote:

Fogrom: "Mr. Treeworthy, Mr. Treeworthy!  This man, he's gone insane!  Can you help him?"

Honest Treeworthy: "Find someone who gives a hoot...me." *transforms into an owl with tiny spectacles*

While in animal form, the druid also gains 30 build worth of lower list skills, Druid Points, or Body Points (at a 3:1 ratio) that are approved by the director and deemed to be appropriate for the animal totem

OOG: Jo
Last edit: 02 Feb 2010 19:15 by .
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
02 Feb 2010 19:14 #8 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill

Is it possible for a Druid to Transmute in to different animal forms IE you turn in to a Lion for combat, but a hawk to take flight. or is it totem specific?

You choose one form and that is the form you have.  So one druid might turn into a ram, while another turns into a dog and so on.

OOG: Jo
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Feb 2010 19:20 #9 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill

If your totem has Might can you use your own Druid point pool to cast Maul or only the DP you have bought at a 3:1 ratio with the promo build?

That was poorly worded - Body is at 3:1, but Druid Points should still be 1:1.  (Body was specified since it's variable from class to class.)  I'll look into rephrasing it so it's more clear.

The intent is that you can still use your "native" DP while transformed into Totem form.

I'm not sure on buffs carrying over - I'll defer to Jon or James on this one.

Steward of Elvalion
03 Feb 2010 10:48 #10 by Alexander Van Zandt (Logan)
Replied by Alexander Van Zandt (Logan) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
Thanks Geoff,

Another question:

It states you only retain the ability to call skills or latent defenses of a defensive nature. What if you have speed cast, could you speed cast defensives on yourself since it would be defensive in nature?

Alexander Van Zandt
Sword of Mercy

oog: Matt W.
03 Feb 2010 11:30 #11 by Birnum Pyre (Birnum Pyre)
Replied by Birnum Pyre (Birnum Pyre) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
The wording is clear in that you can only call the defensive abilities that are available to you. You cannot cast/invoke new ones while in the animal form.

If you want to cast a new latant defense you would have to first revert back to human form.

OOG:
Brendan O'Hara
  • Kleidin
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 152
03 Feb 2010 17:14 #12 by Kleidin (Kleidin)
Replied by Kleidin (Kleidin) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
question about flight - if you land in a tree, does the 10 minute wait to fly again still in effect?

Lady Kleidin du Tenkukai Weaveforger Laurent-Belmont of Kaladonia
Master Witch Hunter, and Elder Druid
OOG: Diane Sodher
  • Ardentfyre
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 25
03 Feb 2010 21:07 #13 by Ardentfyre (Ardentfyre)
Replied by Ardentfyre (Ardentfyre) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill

What happens when offensive effects are upon a person before using Transmute Form. For example, target has +2 damage from a battle cry then uses transmute form. Or target has spirit of the dragon active then calls transmute form, do they still receive the +2 damage in each case or do they not get the damage and only the body from spirit of the dragon?

Any passive buffs can transfer into the animal form.

question about flight - if you land in a tree, does the 10 minute wait to fly again still in effect?

Yes, also to be clear, you cannot vary your height from 20ft unless you're either rising into the air or landing, in which case it must be vertical (like Levitate).

Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
    Order of the White Fox
        Master of Defense of the Mages Guild

[hr]
Jonathon G.
Rules Officer
04 Feb 2010 18:11 #14 by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507)
Replied by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
For the purpose of a "what do I see?" question what is the answer is it just "you see a bear/hawk/beaver" ? or is there a subtle differences between a person who turns into an animal and a real animal?

Also it mentions that certain spells can be cast to communicate with a transmuted druid. What are they?

Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga
Hero of Auralion
Warrior of the White Wolf

- Druid

David Reyes
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
04 Feb 2010 20:33 #15 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
The person looks like a normal animal - there is no perceptable difference.

Spells/abilities that allow a PC to talk with a normal animal work on a transmuted druid, such as Animal Empathy.  I see no reason why the Psionic ability Telepathy wouldn't work as well. 

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
11 Feb 2010 10:43 - 11 Feb 2010 10:44 #16 by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507)
Replied by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
Question about Flight it says that if the affect ends for any reason other than landing you fall. What if I am flying and I OOG trip and fall on my face have I IG fallen or just landed really badly?

Hero of Auralion

- Druid

David Reyes
Last edit: 11 Feb 2010 10:44 by .
11 Feb 2010 11:27 #17 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
I think if you actually trip OOG while walking at a slow walking pace, you can laugh and say "I'm all good" get up, and let others know that it was an OOG trip.

-OOG Michael Smith
11 Feb 2010 16:19 #18 by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507)
Thanks I was wondering because I have this uncanny "ability" to trip over perfectly flat surfaces, while standing still.

Hero of Auralion

- Druid

David Reyes
  • Miso
  • Thank Yous: 1
12 Feb 2010 08:58 #19 by Miso (rafael45)
Replied by Miso (rafael45) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
okay so it states that a druid can use any defensive skills while in animal form, but what about offensive skills for example crit. is the druid simply unable to use it for the duration?

May the spirits guide your path
Miso
(OOG Rafael Mayorga)
  • Erdrick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 161
12 Feb 2010 09:01 #20 by Erdrick (Erdrick)
Replied by Erdrick (Erdrick) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
Unless it is an offensive skill granted by the form you are unable to use it.

Lord Erdrick Brightstar
Guardian of Belladeen
(Samuel Roberts)
12 Feb 2010 10:58 #21 by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507)
Can you use your own bulid to buy skills for the totem form after spending the 30 build worth of skills granted for unlocking it? Example I buy Might Flight and Long Claws I'll have spent 24 build worth of skills leaving six left over can I combine this with two saved build to get Stealth or if I can't combine it spend eight unused build to get it and use the left over for DP and BP? Also on a related note if neither of these work can a Druid learn these skill at an event after the initial purchase of Transmute Form and would teaching be required? 

Hero of Auralion

- Druid

David Reyes
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
12 Feb 2010 11:30 #22 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
No.  The form has a set 30 build to have spent on it, and keep in mind that all skills have to make sense for the animal you have chosen.  I only mention that as I cannot think of any appropriate totem animal that could take flight and might.  An eagle can take out a goat for sure, but not by breaking its limbs with long claws....

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Feb 2010 19:07 #23 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
To answer Welsher's question about the size of the totem form - because the skill does not state the animal is "Dire" or different in any way, it is not different in appearance from a normal animal.

Steward of Elvalion
  • Oakroot
  • We all hope for happy endings... right?
  • Thank Yous: 1
17 Feb 2010 22:15 #24 by Oakroot (OakRoot)
Replied by Oakroot (OakRoot) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
Well in the wording it says "The caster, along with any possessions they are carrying, changes form to that of their Totem Animal" I am gonna assume that if you are wearing armor or have a trinket you do not receive the bonuses the normally give you in Native right?

Brinden Oakroot
Vassal and Gaurd of Kaladonia
Student and Squire of Lady Elawyn Brightstar
Follower of Chronicler and Son of Arawyn
*OOG*
*Clark Livengood*
  • Erdrick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 161
18 Feb 2010 07:28 #25 by Erdrick (Erdrick)
Replied by Erdrick (Erdrick) on topic Rules Update: Druid Promotional Skill
Correct.

Lord Erdrick Brightstar
Guardian of Belladeen
(Samuel Roberts)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.712 seconds