Rules Updates: Surprise, and Negative Energy Fortitude

• GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
07 Apr 2010 19:20 #1 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Rules Updates: Surprise, and Negative Energy Fortitude was created by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
The skill Negative Energy Fortitude has been revised as follows:

This skill offers the character a degree of protection from the attacks of Negative Energy beings. The character must concentrate for five seconds before using this skill, which can be the same five seconds of concentration required to charge the skill Positive Energy Concentration, if the character wishes. When active, this skill grants the character a soak of five against all attacks from Negative Energy beings. In addition, the character is immune to all innate claw or bite effects that the being might possess, such as a paralyzing strike or the ability to inflict Direct Body damage. These protections have a duration of ten minutes.

The rules for Surprise have been updated, as follows:

A character can make a surprise attack if she has not been directly acting in combat for at least one minute prior to making the attack. A character is considered to be directly acting in combat if she makes an attack other than a surprise attack or if she is struck by or defends against the attack of another by any means.

As a note - this allows you to call multiple waylays on a single victim, provided you are not hit by someone before you get them all out or you use another non-surprise attack.  The important thing to note here is that using ANY tag skill on a target (conscious or otherwise)  uses up the skill, unless it is actively blocked by a weapon or shield.  (i.e. - if you blow 4 waylays on a victim, you used all 4 uses, even if she goes down with the first one.)

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
07 Apr 2010 23:07 #2 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic Rules Updates: Surprise, and Negative Energy Fortitude
Re: Surprise

I can chain my surprise attacks if I can get them off fast enough, but does this still knock someone out of a hiding skill or spell?

If I defend against it, and turn, seeing the target as they reach for another surprise attack, can they?

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
07 Apr 2010 23:30 #3 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Rules Updates: Surprise, and Negative Energy Fortitude
If they go into hiding, you cannot attack them.  They would need to defend against any attacks that landed before they hid within 5 seconds, but once they are in hiding, you can't keep attacking them.  (This is no different than non-surprise attacks, such as break limb or even normal damage.)

If you defend, and do not attack, they still have Surprise.  They're not in combat until you attack them (and hit, or cause them to defend - A miss on your part doesn't put them in combat).  In other words, don't ignore a rogue that just hit you from behind - deal with him.  Turning so your back is not facing him is usually a good start...

Steward of Elvalion
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Apr 2010 06:48 #4 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic Rules Updates: Surprise, and Negative Energy Fortitude
But if one is invisible, does any kind of attack, they still drop out of invisibility, right?

(Tom Senger )
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Apr 2010 07:07 #5 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Rules Updates: Surprise, and Negative Energy Fortitude
Ah, yes - if you're invisible, as soon as you perform any attack - surprise or not - it drops.  (I thought if the target called it in the middle of a flurry of attacks.)

Steward of Elvalion
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
08 Apr 2010 10:49 #6 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Rules Updates: Surprise, and Negative Energy Fortitude
Would the Negative Energy Soak stack with those offered by:

1 - armor
2- Prayer (Holy Vestments)
3- Ceremony (Divine Vestments)

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
08 Apr 2010 11:20 #7 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic Rules Updates: Surprise, and Negative Energy Fortitude
I think you have 2 and 3 switched Charlie.  The Prayer is Divine Vestments, the Ceremony is Holy Vestments.  But we get the point :)

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
08 Apr 2010 13:00 #8 by Barak Tellinghast (Barak Tellinghast)
Replied by Barak Tellinghast (Barak Tellinghast) on topic Rules Updates: Surprise, and Negative Energy Fortitude
No, the soak cannot be stacked with other soaks. In addition, the Prayer: Divine Vestements does NOT grant a soak, it grants a Threshold.

Sir Barak Tellinghast
Knight of Drega'Mire
Guardian of Vardamir

OOG: Jason Turqman
Officer
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
  • Thank Yous: 0
08 Apr 2010 13:11 #9 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Rules Updates: Surprise, and Negative Energy Fortitude
To add onto what Jason said,  no soaks stack unless the soak specifically says it does.

OOG: Jo
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Apr 2010 13:22 #10 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Would wearing armor while NEF'd help in soaking damage? (I believe, one can have one physical and one magical soak active at any time.)

(Tom Senger )
  • Erim Walker
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • I love Travance. There are shirtless men EVERYWHER
  • Thank Yous: 0
08 Apr 2010 13:28 #11 by Erim Walker (shiva14b)
Replied by Erim Walker (shiva14b) on topic Rules Updates: Surprise, and Negative Energy Fortitude

As a note - this allows you to call multiple waylays on a single victim, provided you are not hit by someone before you get them all out or you use another non-surprise attack. 

SINGLE victim?

So we still can't, say, move down a line of (let's assume for this example "incredibly oblivious") people calling "waylay" until someone notices what's going on and does something about it?

"Ok we can attack... but if we miss, we'll hit the villagers."
"I'm willing to take that chance!"

Things I am no longer allowed to do in an RPG :
31. The backup trap handler is not whoever has the most HP at the time.
73. Not allowed to name my cudgel Ceremonial Whoopass Stick.
74. My thief's battle cry is not "Run And Live"

[OOG Jenna
  • THENPC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Assassins Do It From Behind
  • Thank Yous: 126
08 Apr 2010 15:45 #12 by THENPC (THENPC)
Replied by THENPC (THENPC) on topic Rules Updates: Surprise, and Negative Energy Fortitude
Oh, no, you totally can.

The thing about a single victim was a clarification because the surprise rules were originally changed to keep me... erm... rogues from getting behind someone and waylaying them a whole bunch of times in a row until they ate it.

Adversus Nox Noctis,
Sir Lethias Discretion Nathaniel Peregrin Christopher Wrathchild VonRitter
Knight of Travance
Putting the Shiv in Chivalry Since 1202

Mortem facit omnes aequales, vitam facit omnes fratres
Vince The NPC;
RM, RPM, ST
08 Apr 2010 16:36 #13 by Barak Tellinghast (Barak Tellinghast)
Replied by Barak Tellinghast (Barak Tellinghast) on topic Rules Updates: Surprise, and Negative Energy Fortitude
Tom: Wearing armor while NEF'd would not increase the effectiveness of NEF, however it would allow you to have a soak against non-undead attacks.

Sir Barak Tellinghast
Knight of Drega'Mire
Guardian of Vardamir

OOG: Jason Turqman
Officer
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Apr 2010 16:47 #14 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)

The thing about a single victim was a clarification because the surprise rules were originally changed to keep me... erm... rogues from getting behind someone and waylaying them a whole bunch of times in a row until they ate it.

You and Luke.  Crasis had HOW many Waylays?  4 was a conservative salvo from him. ;)

But yeah, the intent is that you can now launch surprise attacks up until someone manages to engage you, rather than the first attack ending the surprise, including for other nearby targets.

Steward of Elvalion
  • Tim P
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 379
09 Apr 2010 14:15 #15 by Tim P (OrganicGolem)
Replied by Tim P (OrganicGolem) on topic Rules Updates: Surprise, and Negative Energy Fortitude
holy un-nerf batman... now I can finally be effective in melee combat again

[hr]
-Tim P
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.606 seconds