Gypsy Death Curse

• Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
30 Jun 2010 11:35 #1 by Gallion (Gallion)
Gypsy Death Curse was created by Gallion (Gallion)
Gypsy Death curse has been slightly revised. It is largely the same skill as it always has been, but primarily, it now has a 7th level pre-req. Beyond that, some nuances and details have been fleshed out a bit in the description.

Gypsy Death Curse (Continuous) Pre-Req: 7th Level
This skill allows a Gypsy to place a Greater Curse upon the person who caused her death. The Gypsy can curse the individual whose action directly caused her death, or can attempt to curse someone else who was responsible for it. To attempt to curse someone responsible for her death, the Gypsy must name the specific person to the Director within an hour of being killed, who will then verify if the named person indeed had some active part in the Gypsy’s death. If the named person did not have an active role in the Gypsy’s death, according to the Directors discretion, then the curse is wasted and has no effect on anyone; if the named person was involved, then the curse is applied to her. The Gypsy must select a curse from the list of Lesser Curses, and the killer will be afflicted with it as a Greater Curse. The Greater Curse will remain in effect on the killer until the Gypsy releases it, or the Gypsy King releases it, or she dies and is resurrected. The effects of this skill will not stand if the Gypsy has avoided in any way taking a death.  This skill bypasses all defenses except for the skill Resist Curse.

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
30 Jun 2010 15:01 #2 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
Replied by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix) on topic Gypsy Death Curse
A few questions:
  • Do you have to know your target's full name?  Their real name?  Or just be able to identify them unambiguously?
  • Just to make certain I'm interpreting this correctly, if I wish to curse the person directly responsible for my death, I don't need to know who it is.  If I'm cursing someone who was indirectly responsible, I must know their name.  Is that right?
  • Will Gypsies of 6th level or lower lose Gypsy Death Curse?  If not, will they be able to use it before becoming 7th level?
  • The skill says that the curse can be removed if the recipient dies and is resurrected.  What if, instead, he is reanimated?

-Alexandre Blythewood

OOG: Zach Theis
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
30 Jun 2010 15:04 - 30 Jun 2010 15:09 #3 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Gypsy Death Curse
To your last, I quote James but offer no interpretation.

<<The effects of this skill will not stand if the Gypsy has avoided in any way taking a death.>>

Also, you said "can be removed."  James wrote <<The Greater Curse will remain in effect on the killer until ... or she dies and is resurrected.>>  Grammar, Zach, grammar.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
Last edit: 30 Jun 2010 15:09 by .
30 Jun 2010 15:09 #4 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
You misunderstand my question, Charlie.  I'm not asking about the cursing Gypsy being reanimated.  If the recipient of a Death Curse dies and is resurrected, the curse is lifted.  I want to know if the curse is lifted if, instead of being resurrected, the recipient is reanimated.

-Alexandre Blythewood

30 Jun 2010 15:29 #5 by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
Replied by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen) on topic Gypsy Death Curse

A few questions:

• Do you have to know your target's full name?  Their real name?  Or just be able to identify them unambiguously?
  • Just to make certain I'm interpreting this correctly, if I wish to curse the person directly responsible for my death, I don't need to know who it is.  If I'm cursing someone who was indirectly responsible, I must know their name.  Is that right?
  • Will Gypsies of 6th level or lower lose Gypsy Death Curse?  If not, will they be able to use it before becoming 7th level?
  • The skill says that the curse can be removed if the recipient dies and is resurrected.  What if, instead, he is reanimated?

1) No, you don't need to know their name.  Identifying the person to James is an OOG mechanic, so something along the lines of, "that NPC Kimmel was playing" would suffice.

2)  Corerect.  You could not say something like "I'm cursing whoever hired this assassin".  You would have to be able to name someone.

3)  They will lose it and have to relearn it upon reaching 7th level.

4)  If a person is reannimated, the curse will remain on the target.  The curse will only be lifted if the PC actually takes a death.

--Skimmel

Skimmel
RP Marshal, Rules Marshal, Storyteller
30 Jun 2010 21:19 #6 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
For question 2, what I was clarifying was that if I want to curse the immediate cause of my death, I don't need to be able to identify them beyond "the person who killed me."  Is that correct?

-Alexandre Blythewood

• Hadrian Thane
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • The night is dark and full of terrors.
  • Thank Yous: 3
30 Jun 2010 21:35 #7 by Hadrian Thane (GBino)
Replied by Hadrian Thane (GBino) on topic Gypsy Death Curse

For question 2, what I was clarifying was that if I want to curse the immediate cause of my death, I don't need to be able to identify them beyond "the person who killed me."  Is that correct?

If the definition of "the person who killed me" you are using is 'whoever struck the final blow', then no, you do not need to identify them any further than that.

Names or specific identifiers are only necessary when trying to curse someone who is not the person who stabbed you last.

/* OOG
* Rob G.
* Rules Marshal, Margrave
*/
  • Michael P
  • Thank Yous: 0
30 Jun 2010 22:36 #8 by Michael P (Michael P)
Replied by Michael P (Michael P) on topic Gypsy Death Curse
What if there is an instance where a gypsy is attacked by multiple people, and is allowed to bleed out instead of  receiving a killing blow.  If you name the 'person who killed me' who receives the death curse?

Michael Pucci
Player of Paetros of the Yhatzi Kompania

www.DystopiaRisingLARP.com
30 Jun 2010 22:56 #9 by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
Technically, it should be the last person who struck you.  In the case where it's impossible to tell, I'd say you'd have to pick one of the attackers.

--Skimmel

Skimmel
  • Capt Locke
  • Thank Yous: 10
30 Jun 2010 23:28 #10 by Capt Locke (Jonathon)
Replied by Capt Locke (Jonathon) on topic Gypsy Death Curse
What if I am using expert disguise? Can they just say "dave morris" and bypast the fact that I am disguised?

Captain Alexander Locke, Dread Pirate
The Sleaziest Sleaze of the Seven Seas

OOG: Dave Morris
The Napoleon of Gypsy Genocide
30 Jun 2010 23:45 #11 by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
Yes.

--Sean

Skimmel
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
01 Jul 2010 01:58 #12 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Gypsy Death Curse
An out of game name cannot be used. You have to know the character name.. UNLESS the character who killed you is right in front of you and killed you.

01 Jul 2010 03:09 #13 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
Which brings me back to my first question.

Do you have to know your target's full name?  Their real name?  Or just be able to identify them unambiguously?

-Alexandre Blythewood

• JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
01 Jul 2010 05:08 #14 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Gypsy Death Curse

Which brings me back to my first question.

Do you have to know your target's full name?  Their real name?  Or just be able to identify them unambiguously?

This is how it works:

1.) Dave Morris walks up to you in full disguise.  You have no idea it's Jonathan, you think it's some hoodlum named Joe Chill.  "Joe Chill" takes out a shiv, shouts "DIE DIRTY GYPSY" and stabs Tobar to death.  You can Gypsy Death Curse Joe Chill, despite the fact that it's Jonathan.

2.)  Dave doesn't give you a name in his disguise.  He just comes up behind you and shivs you anyway.  You can Gypsy Death Curse "that a-hole who stabbed me in the back".

3.) You never meet Dave in his disguise.  Dave uses a cunning and clever plan involving many twists and turns to get Birnum Pyre and Antrim to kill you.  You could Gypsy Death Curse Pyre or Antrim, but if you wanted to Gypsy Death Curse  Dave Morris: Napoleon of Gypsy Genocide than you would have to find out that it was Dave (as Jonathan) behind the whole thing.

So essentially, if they are DIRECTLY the cause of your death you do NOT need to know their name.  If they are INDIRECTLY the cause of your death than you need to find out their name.

OOG: Jo
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
01 Jul 2010 10:12 #15 by Gallion (Gallion)
Joe is correct. To further explain the last part, attempting to curse someone who was not present for your murder, but might have had something to do with it, is based completely on in-game suspicion. If your character was highly suspect of Bill the butcher being the one who orchestrated your death, because he has always hated you, you can try to curse bill the butcher. I would then approach the player of bill the butcher and find out if he had a hand in the series of misfortunate events that took your like, if he in fact did not, than the curse does not work.

01 Jul 2010 16:20 #16 by Mother Remi Sylvaine (effervescentjoy)
Replied by Mother Remi Sylvaine (effervescentjoy) on topic Gypsy Death Curse

So, I don't think this question actually got answered, and, in fairness, it's a really complex question. So, here's the situation:

Let's say, hypothetically, I suspect that a PC orchestrated my death, but my character is only aware of their first name, or their last name, or perhaps some kind of nickname that everyone uses for them. Do I need to know the characters FULL name, IG, in order to attempt to place a gypsy death curse on them? Or do I simply need to identify them in an unambiguous way?

Again, let's say, hypothetically, I suspect that a PC orchestrated my death, and place a gypsy death curse on her. However, the name I know this PC by is not the PC's true name, but rather, a false name that they have been using all along in order to conceal their identity for a complex reason, probably concerning their backstory. If they were involved in my death, does the gypsy death curse still land? (IE, is knowing the name they are widely known by enough to identify them for the purposes of GDC?)

Main Char: Mother Remi Sylvaine
Priestess of Love and Song

Alt Char: Mira Aino

~*~ Nadine Morsch:: OOG
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
01 Jul 2010 18:22 #17 by Gallion (Gallion)
The name/truename/fulleorpart name of the person you are attempting to curse is not terribly important. As long the gypsy reasonably has cause to suspect someone had an involvement in their death they can attempt to curse them.  Wether they know the persons actual in-game name or not is irrelevant as long as they can identify what character they are trying to curse. 

02 Jul 2010 00:44 #18 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Gypsy Death Curse
For example... you don't know Blade's name... for some odd reason :-)

However, you saw Blade pointing at you, making a slitting motion across his throat, then paying the Count a large sum of gold, to which the Count gives a big thumbs up, heads straight toward you and kills you saying "Sorry, Buddy, it's only business".

You can curse the 'huge cigar smoking ogre that rips men's hearts out of their chest and shows it to them before they die.' with out knowing Blades name.

-OOG Michael Smith
  • Michael P
02 Jul 2010 09:54 #19 by Michael P (Michael P)

For example... you don't know Blade's name... for some odd reason :-)

However, you saw Blade pointing at you, making a slitting motion across his throat, then paying the Count a large sum of gold, to which the Count gives a big thumbs up, heads straight toward you and kills you saying "Sorry, Buddy, it's only business".

You can curse the 'huge cigar smoking ogre that rips men's hearts out of their chest and shows it to them before they die.' with out knowing Blades name.

In the same scenario, instead of cursing the master of the triple shank could you also curse the count, assuming he gave the big ol thumbs up on your execution?

Michael Pucci

02 Jul 2010 10:12 #20 by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
You could try, and then it'd be up to James as to whether it worked or not.  That's the "director's discretion" part of the skill description. 

--Sean

Skimmel
02 Jul 2010 10:33 #21 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Gypsy Death Curse
Ohh... I see I was unclear... I meant that the Count killed you after Blade paid him to do so, so Blade is the mysterious person planning the death, the Count is the bringer of doom.

So you could easily curse the Count because he actually killed you.
You could curse the Cigar Smoking Ogre who you suspect planned your death.  But only if you noticed those strange goings on, or had another good IG reason to suspect he's your killer.  Like you just stole his cigars, and he said "When me find out who take Blade Cigar, me just sayin, him maybe wind up dead.  Not ME kill him... just maybe it wind up that way"
However, if secretly Erdrick paid Blade to pay the count to do that, and only Blade and Erdrick knew that, and Erdrick never seemed to dislike you, but someone overheard Sam telling Mike Smith at the Bar on Friday Night "I can't wait until Blade pays the count to kill Schmucko, he'll never know it was Erdrick" and they tell you that it was Erdrick... well that's bullcrap and that person gets NO bacon.

-OOG Michael Smith
  • Michael P
02 Jul 2010 14:37 #22 by Michael P (Michael P)
Answers all my questions, and I'm all good with it.  :)

Anyone aiming to hit a third party as a mastermind instead of the person who jacked them should be able to explain why they think the mastermind did it when they pull the curse trigger.  Unless it's Dave, because he is the Napoleon of Gypsy Genocide. 

Michael Pucci

• geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
02 Jul 2010 14:58 #23 by geezer (geezer)
Napoleon and genocide just do not combine well.  Pol Pot, Hitler, Stalin - those names ring.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
02 Jul 2010 17:15 #24 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Gypsy Death Curse

Napoleon and genocide just do not combine well.  Pol Pot, Hitler, Stalin - those names ring.

It was a reference to the Napoleon of Crime ;)

OOG: Jo
  • Janus
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
02 Jul 2010 23:22 #25 by Janus (Janus)
Replied by Janus (Janus) on topic Gypsy Death Curse
regardless, Dave just needs to start murdering every gypsy he sees.

Janus Ivillious
Court Sorcerer of Winterdark

Every man has his own destiny: the only imperative is to follow it, to accept it, no matter where it leads him.

Mike Dennis

RP Marshal
  • Kelly
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 134
03 Jul 2010 07:30 #26 by Kelly (Kelly)
Replied by Kelly (Kelly) on topic Gypsy Death Curse
Why would you want to kill gypsies? We have punch and pie!

Dame Zafrin Yhatzi
Knight of Drega'mire

OOG: Kelly Osborne
  • Secarius
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Cinis et Cinis Pulvis Et Pulvis
  • Thank Yous: 1
03 Jul 2010 11:09 #27 by Secarius (Secarius)
Replied by Secarius (Secarius) on topic Gypsy Death Curse
dave prefers cake a cola?

ALex S.
player of Brax the Barbarian
  • Gregor
  • Thank Yous: 10
08 Jul 2010 13:05 #28 by Gregor (Caleb)
Replied by Gregor (Caleb) on topic Gypsy Death Curse

...well that's bullcrap and that person gets NO bacon.

Winner of the 'Best Line in a Thread' award.....

Gregor Borowitz
Court Healer of Alisandria

Guild Member of the Black Orchid Merchant Company

OOG:Stephen Bukovsky
  • Tyra Silverfang
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • I eat dark god babies...
08 Jul 2010 17:12 #29 by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing)
Replied by Tyra Silverfang (Pracika Nightwing) on topic Gypsy Death Curse
punch and pie hmm? where do i sign up for this gypsy resistance? lmao

also i prefer mountain dew and tasty cakes =P

"There is a difference between a hero and a coward. A Hero wakes willing to risk death. A coward wakes wishing for it."

OOG: Adi
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Jul 2010 18:18 #30 by geezer (geezer)
Little caffeine with your sugar, eh, Adi?

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.732 seconds