Alt Event Question

• Thomas
  • Thank Yous: 3
06 Apr 2011 20:48 #1 by Thomas (Thomas)
Alt Event Question was created by Thomas (Thomas)
How do alt events work?  I cant seem to find the details on the site.

Thomas Do’Kanen
The Court Master Builder of Alisandria
"I used to be evil, but now I'm a drunk."
06 Apr 2011 22:19 - 06 Apr 2011 22:28 #2 by FreeCookiesforU (FreeCookiesforU)
Replied by FreeCookiesforU (FreeCookiesforU) on topic Alt Event Question
2009 Alt Event Brief: www.knightrealms.com/forums/index.php?&topic=2890.0

2010 Alt Event Brief and Detailed Background:
www.knightrealms.com/forums/index.php?topic=5611.0

I am assuming we will get something similar to these posts for the 2011 event that will outline this more for us. I presume we will also need to choose character packs for our alt characters.

Hope those links helped; Please keep in mind though that those are from previous years, and I am not a member of the staff, and I have no clue if things will be different. Those are what I used, personally, to educate myself about the "gist of alt events" however.

Here is a snippet of information that may be relevant from the second link that may be most pertinent to your question:

Alt Character Creation
The following link will take you to the downloads page where you can download the Alt character creation packages. This file contains skill sets for each kind of the professions, all set at fifth level. Please try very hard to read over these and pick one prior to arriving at the event. You will in effect have the base stats, plus package A or B. As you will be also receiving your normal character card at sign in, the alt cards can look informal. Therefore it is acceptable and encouraged that you come having already cut and paste the skill set you have chosen for your character into a word file and print it out and bring it with you to sign in. In case you do not get this opportunity we will have copies of the skill sets on hand at the event.

LINK:   www.knightrealms.com/downloads.html

Skills and Pre-Reqs - Some of the skill pre-reqs and the such may be old... we will just roll with them if we can... I at the very least cut the career points down by 1/3, please be sure to do the same thing if you are printing your own card for a casting class.
Alterations - You can make alterations to your card, but they must be legitimate build for build skill swaps. Please try very hard to already have such alterations planned out ahead of time. After you finish signing in, someone will review your card and help you legitimize any alterations.
Races - If you choose to play a race other than human, you can add the starting racials of that race to your alt character sheet.
Resistance or Not - If you are part of the Resistance your card needs to be marked as such. If you have decided you are not part of the resistance no additional mark is necessary.

Money and Market Fair
You can use your regular characters coin. Also you may buy and sell at market-faire, assuming any in-game items items you buy, or gold you earn, your reg character comes across and now has.

Alt Equipment
You will pick randomly from a pile of weapon cards, for whether your weapons are normal, silver, mythril, enchanted etc... After getting your weapons, you will roll for a small chance to start with a alt magical trinket. Armor will work off of normal armor cards. Use the ones you have, or if you dont have one, we can write up a normal armor card.

Build Gain and Advancement:
You gain build and advancement opportunity for your regular character for playing the alt event.

If you pay the PC price for the weekend you gain +6 build and your regular character and can automatically learn any skill without a teacher, as per the same rules as learning a skill at the Awards Banquets or Moresca Ball.  You will also be allowed to PC your regular character from when the alt plot ends Saturday night. (As far as build goes, you can still gain RP Build, extra bought build, SP build, Commodity build etc... on top of the 6 build earned for PC'ing)

If you pay the NPC price which is free. You receive regular NPC compensation and must follow all standard full time NPC obligations for the entirety of the weekend, even after the switch takes place.

The Switch Over
As indicated above, when the alt weekend plot ends, sometime around 10pm on Saturday, we take a brief 1 hour hold to switch costumes and get back into the regular game as our regular characters. We will not be switching the in-game building locations and decor, so please just roll with that.

Focus and Attunement
The focus is located in the mages guild. Anyone who is a healer or priest can choose to be attuned already to the focus.

-Crispin VanDyke

Christopher K. (AKA "Ginger Guy")
Last edit: 06 Apr 2011 22:28 by .
  • rivanyasi
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Opportunity lets you find, Skill lets you procure.
  • Thank Yous: 42
06 Apr 2011 23:49 #3 by rivanyasi (rivanyasi)
Replied by rivanyasi (rivanyasi) on topic Alt Event Question
So wait, does that mean that we will, at some point, be expected to get back into our normal characters, then?

Na'ar Chacov, Soul of the Stars.

Ayiri Amexis, Sorceress' Apprentice.
Lupta Tamasa, Torn and Blackened.

OOG: Riva A.
07 Apr 2011 02:52 #4 by FreeCookiesforU (FreeCookiesforU)
I can't tell you what will happen at this alt event, but it appears that in the past that people would return to their normal characters after the conclusion of the main plot, late Saturday night.

-Crispin VanDyke

• Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
07 Apr 2011 07:34 #5 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Alt Event Question
Traditionally late Saturday Night the plot of the Alt Event resolves, and there is a brief 1 hour hold to switch the game back to the regular time/place. You do not have to play your regular PC Sunday morning, but the option is certainly there.

the following applies for this alt event:
Money and Market Fair
You can use your regular characters coin. Also you may buy and sell at market-faire, assuming any in-game items items you buy, or gold you earn, your reg character comes across and now has.

Alt Equipment
You will pick randomly from a pile of weapon cards, for whether your weapons are normal, silver, mythril, enchanted etc... After getting your weapons, you will roll for a small chance to start with a alt magical trinket. Armor will work off of normal armor cards. Use the ones you have, or if you dont have one, we can write up a normal armor card.

You gain build and advancement opportunity for your regular character for playing the alt event.

If you pay the PC price for the weekend you gain +6 build for your regular character and can automatically learn any skill without a teacher, as per the same rules as learning a skill at the Awards Banquets or Moresca Ball.  You will also be allowed to PC your regular character from when the alt plot ends Saturday night. (As far as build goes, you can still gain RP Build, extra bought build, SP build, Commodity build etc... on top of the 6 build earned for PC'ing)

If you pay the NPC price which is free. You receive regular NPC compensation and must follow all standard full time NPC obligations for the entirety of the weekend, even after the switch takes place.

The Switch Over
As indicated above, when the alt weekend plot ends, sometime around 10pm on Saturday, we take a brief 1 hour hold to switch costumes and get back into the regular game as our regular characters. We will not be switching the in-game building locations and decor, so please just roll with that.

We will post about character creation soon.

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
  • Damien
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 145
07 Apr 2011 09:37 #6 by Damien (Damien)
Replied by Damien (Damien) on topic Alt Event Question

As far as build goes, you can still gain RP Build, extra bought build, SP build, Commodity build etc... on top of the 6 build earned for PC'ing)

James, how will this work since SP build is based off of the Blanket Build your receive?  Typically at Festivals where there is a set amount of build received we may not receive SP Build. 

[hr]
Victor Sylus, Baron of Travance
OOG: Damien A.
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
07 Apr 2011 09:57 #7 by Gallion (Gallion)
SP build should work as per a normal event, based off of your normal build blanket.

• Erdrick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 161
07 Apr 2011 10:13 #8 by Erdrick (Erdrick)
Replied by Erdrick (Erdrick) on topic Alt Event Question
I am sorry but it appears that in Mr. Kimball's haste to head out to the camp this morning he misunderstood the question being asked. He intended to say the following.

Everyone will be able to gain +2 build from service since this event doesn't follow normal build blanket rules.

Should anyone wish to make an appointment with Mr Kimball or contact him please leave a message with me and I'll make sure he gets it when he returns to his office.

Lord Erdrick Brightstar
Guardian of Belladeen
(Samuel Roberts)
07 Apr 2011 13:59 #9 by FreeCookiesforU (FreeCookiesforU)
Man, James just hired the hottest new secretary. Someones gotta collect some digits.

-Crispin VanDyke

• Liz
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 173
08 Apr 2011 02:54 #10 by Liz (Liz)
Replied by Liz (Liz) on topic Alt Event Question
Does the 6 build count for any secondary characters?

Allyce
Lieutenant of the Baronial Guard

Mae Fang Zhang
Healer of Khitan
"Go with honor and your ancestors shall guide you."

Allyce
Lt. of the Baronial Guard
"Well... who likes a dull life? There's work to do."

OOG: Liz Reese

Marshal
Land Staff
  • Erdrick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
08 Apr 2011 08:01 #11 by Erdrick (Erdrick)
Mr. Kimball can correct me if I am wrong but I believe it follows the normal rules of purchasing events. Once you pay for a second character they also would get the 6 build and other possible benefits.

Lord Erdrick Brightstar
Guardian of Belladeen
(Samuel Roberts)
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
08 Apr 2011 08:13 #12 by Gallion (Gallion)
Correct

• rivanyasi
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
08 Apr 2011 12:38 #13 by rivanyasi (rivanyasi)
On that last note, are we allowed to re-phase a character from the alt event into a first level character for main events, as an actual alt, and would the 6 build still apply to that character?

Assuming, of course, that fees for the second character are paid for, etc., and are at the normal rate for additional characters at an event.

10 Apr 2011 16:11 #14 by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar)
Replied by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar) on topic Alt Event Question

Alt Equipment

Okay so my question deals with this. In the case I have armor my alt event alt can use it. And in the case that I bring armor for my alt event alt a card will be made up. Can this NEW card then be used for my main?

I bring a Clincher for my alt and get a card made up for it for the alt event.

Templar Ekatarina Esmeralda Kisslinger McKregar, Prophet of the Kindred Oak

Neina Avaren

OOC: Ann A.- Logistics Marshal
11 Apr 2011 17:21 #15 by FreeCookiesforU (FreeCookiesforU)
Understanding that this Alt Event was not something that anyone even knew was going to happen up until a couple weeks back, will there be some time put into preparing a brief to allow everyone what to expect from the 2011 Alt Event?

Just basic information, like if we should prepare to select from the alt event builds (and the adjusted career points), and other logistical FAQs.

-Crispin VanDyke

• geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
11 Apr 2011 17:25 #16 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Alt Event Question
Perhaps James' post of the 5th, "Prologue to the Alt Event" has what you seek.

www.knightrealms.com/forums/index.php?topic=7574.0

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • rivanyasi
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
11 Apr 2011 19:32 #17 by rivanyasi (rivanyasi)
There was more coming, too, na?

• GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
11 Apr 2011 19:44 #18 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Alt Event Question
Nah, we figured we'd post it after the event was over. :P

(Give 'em some time - we've been running an event every 3 weeks for the past 4 events.  That's a heck of a lot of work!)

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
11 Apr 2011 22:29 #19 by FreeCookiesforU (FreeCookiesforU)
Yes, it seems like an awful lot of work. I have great respect for everyone who helps run KR. You guys are making it possible for us to enjoy ourselves immensely every moon :)

Thanks for the heads up.

-Crispin VanDyke

• Seámus Aeislin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Glaine ár gcroí! Neart ár ngéag! Beart de réir ár mbriathar!
  • Thank Yous: 30
12 Apr 2011 13:13 #20 by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin)
Replied by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin) on topic Alt Event Question
I do have a question as it says for the alt-event we can self-teach a skill to our regular character. Say we are not able to make it to the alt-event but we back-buy the event in May. Are we able to benefit from the self taught skill as well? Beyond that, would we have access to that skill for the May event, or no?

IG:
Main - Sir Seámus Aeislin of the Clan MacInnes

Alt - Boryev Solvei, Baro of the Solvei Kampania
#bigtomdidnuffinwrong
OOG - Shane Johnson
Monster Marshal
  • Erdrick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
12 Apr 2011 14:02 #21 by Erdrick (Erdrick)
Yes you could back buy the alt event, and yes you would have access to that skill in may. You'd have to make sure you got it signed of by the Character Card deputy or another officer first.

Lord Erdrick Brightstar
Guardian of Belladeen
(Samuel Roberts)
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
13 Apr 2011 09:32 #22 by Gallion (Gallion)
Begin writing up and designing your characters.

Characters will be 5th level and pre-made if you show up and don't e-mail us the stats ahead of time, and 5.5 level of your own design if you e-mail us your stats ahead of time.

Restricted races are allowed but be sure that you do them according to the correct make-up requirements and role-play.

All characters were a part of the prologue story. however you can make some fine tuned decisions, such as whether or not your character was working for that trading company, or just adventurers that unluckily hooked up with that caravan. If you want to write a brief history for the character thats ok, but it absolutely, positively cannot be more than one or two paragraphs or it will be ignored. We just don't have time to read anything long, but a very brief blurb will help if you write one.

Do NOT send them just yet, but go ahead and get them ready. I will post an e-mail address to send them to within a matter of days. Thanks! ;)

15 Apr 2011 00:29 #23 by Mother Marika (Ophelia)
Replied by Mother Marika (Ophelia) on topic Alt Event Question

Restricted races are allowed but be sure that you do them according to the correct make-up requirements and role-play.

So, we don't need to get them approved first? Someone could just walk in (in proper make-up requirements and role-play of course) and say "I'm gonna be a dark elf" ?

Branded (Continuous)
Social
With this skill, the Dark Elf carries the brand of purity that marks her rejection of Dark Elf society. The effect of this brand on other races varies, but among other Dark Elves it is a clear sign that the character stands against her kind. Branded Dark Elves are highly inclined to trust one another, while unbranded Dark Elves tend to hold the branded ones in contempt and treat them as enemies – and the feelings are mutual. The statistical effect of this skill is that the racial skill Vengeance v. High and Sylvan Elves becomes Vengeance v. Dark Elves if a character has this skill. In addition, the Starting and Prohibited Profession lists are modified so that Priest and Cleric become available as Starting Professions, and Assassin and Torturer become Prohibited Professions.  This skill may only be learned with prior approval from the Director or Atmosphere Officer, as per the rules for a Restricted Race.

Now, if we decided to play a dark elf, would we still need to get the Branded part approved for the alt event?

Master Marika Korsova Laurent Belmont
Priestess of Galmachis
Soul Warden
Shadow Hunter
"For eternity."

Doctor Winifred Sterling
"Oh dear...now I'll have to cut it out...again..."

OOG- Samantha Maksoud
Logistics Marshal

"Intelligence is the wife, imagination is the mistress, memory is the servant."-Victor Hugo
  • Casandra
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Let me take you on a journey like no other...
  • Thank Yous: 206
17 Apr 2011 14:26 #24 by Casandra (Casandra)
Replied by Casandra (Casandra) on topic Alt Event Question

So, we don't need to get them approved first? Someone could just walk in (in proper make-up requirements and role-play of course) and say "I'm gonna be a dark elf" ?

Branded (Continuous)
Social
With this skill, the Dark Elf carries the brand of purity that marks her rejection of Dark Elf society. The effect of this brand on other races varies, but among other Dark Elves it is a clear sign that the character stands against her kind. Branded Dark Elves are highly inclined to trust one another, while unbranded Dark Elves tend to hold the branded ones in contempt and treat them as enemies – and the feelings are mutual. The statistical effect of this skill is that the racial skill Vengeance v. High and Sylvan Elves becomes Vengeance v. Dark Elves if a character has this skill. In addition, the Starting and Prohibited Profession lists are modified so that Priest and Cleric become available as Starting Professions, and Assassin and Torturer become Prohibited Professions.  This skill may only be learned with prior approval from the Director or Atmosphere Officer, as per the rules for a Restricted Race.

Now, if we decided to play a dark elf, would we still need to get the Branded part approved for the alt event?

You are ok to play a branded dark elf.
just make sure you have the costume & rp requirements down beforehand.

Casandra Blackthorne
Lady of Alisandria

Merchant and Professional Absintheur
Black Orchid Merchant Company

17 Apr 2011 14:52 #25 by Mother Marika (Ophelia)
Replied by Mother Marika (Ophelia) on topic Alt Event Question
Thank you.  Actually, I wasn't sure if I was going to be playing a Branded dark elf.  I was just curious because I was reading through the Dark Elf list and saw the Branded skill  :)

But thank you for answering  ;D Now just to decide if I'm branded or not

Master Marika Korsova Laurent Belmont
Priestess of Galmachis
Soul Warden
Shadow Hunter
"For eternity."

Doctor Winifred Sterling
"Oh dear...now I'll have to cut it out...again..."

OOG- Samantha Maksoud
Logistics Marshal

"Intelligence is the wife, imagination is the mistress, memory is the servant."-Victor Hugo
  • Miso
  • Thank Yous: 1
21 Apr 2011 09:25 #26 by Miso (rafael45)
Replied by Miso (rafael45) on topic Alt Event Question
True or False?
you are able to use the self teach to learn a master list skill, as long as that master list is open to you.

I have seen no mention of this which is why I ask.

May the spirits guide your path
Miso
(OOG Rafael Mayorga)
  • Damien
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 145
21 Apr 2011 09:44 #27 by Damien (Damien)
Replied by Damien (Damien) on topic Alt Event Question

True or False?
you are able to use the self teach to learn a master list skill, as long as that master list is open to you.

I have seen no mention of this which is why I ask.

The short answer is, yes.

As stated by James for this Alt. Event, you may, "learn any skill without a teacher, as per the same rules as learning a skill at the Awards Banquets or Moresca Ball."  Those rules can be found under the 'Skill' header in the The Annual Winterdark (Moresca) Ball section of the site

[hr]
Victor Sylus, Baron of Travance
OOG: Damien A.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.733 seconds