Rules Update: Higher Lists - New Teaching Procedures, and General Rules

• Ardentfyre
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 25
04 Sep 2011 12:02 - 06 Sep 2011 08:27 #1 by Ardentfyre (Ardentfyre)
Higher Lists - New Teaching Procedures, and General Rules

Procedure:
Players will request the ability to teach a specific Higher List to the Atmosphere Officer, by PM on the Forums, who will then place their name into a thread on the officer boards where they will be reviewed by the Staff. If a player is approved, they will be given the skill without needing it to be taught to them, and at no build cost. The thread on the Officer boards will be kept updated with all approved teachers going forward, so we can easily access who can or cannot teach the various lists, how many teachers are available, etc.

Teaching:
Learning a higher list will take between three to six months worth of lessons. A teacher may advance one student one lesson of their training per event, per list. This means that the teacher may advance as many students as they have Higher List Teach skills, at a rate of one student per specific list. Furthermore, a student may only advance one lesson per event, and may only advance only one higher list per event, regardless of how many they are currently learning.  Build cost for the higher list will be paid at the time of their first lesson. A single lesson must last for at least 20 minutes of RP. The month a player fully completes their training and learns the list, it counts towards their "new higher list skill" for the month - the first and non-final lessons do not count as Higher List skills.

Example:
Erdrick wishes to teach Collin the Master Warrior list. In January he advances Collin to the first stage of his training at which point Collin expends 1 build to learn the basics of the list. At the next event Collin will see the following on his card:

(1) Master Warrior X O O

From this point on Collin can learn further lessons from other teachers should he wish, or continue learning from Erdrick. The next month, Erdrick may choose to continue to teach Collin, or to teach another student if Collin is not present, or to end his lessons to Collin if there is some reason to do so.

Unless otherwise noted in this update, the other rules regarding learning a Higher List or its skills still apply (i.e. - one new, one current skill per event, the cost of learning a list, etc.)

Higher Lists Tiers

Higher Lists will be broken down into tiers, with the difficulty to learn a list increasing as the tiers progress.

Tier I - Common
A Tier I list is heavily if not nearly entirely taught through PC to PC interaction. These lists require 3 lessons to be completely learned.
  • Master Warrior
  • Master Rogue
  • Master Marksman
  • Battle Casting
  • Valence Magic

Tier II
A Tier II list is equally taught from PC to PC interaction as well as some notable NPC teachers. Each list requires 6 lessons to be completely learned.
  • Sorcery
  • Divine Ceremonies
  • Sith
  • Tao

Tier III
A Tier III list may only have its final lesson taught by a plot-based NPC. PC teachers, while rare, will exist with the purpose to prepared their students for their final lesson(s). Each list requires 6 lessons to be completely learned, and the final lesson must come from a Staff or Plot Approved NPC.
  • Templar
  • Dark Templar
  • Tortured Soul
  • Demon Knight
  • Master Witch Hunter
  • True Warlock

Tier IV
Tier IV lists have no formal teaching structure, and can only be taught by Staff or Plot approved NPCs.
  • Paladin
  • Anti-Paladin

These changes take effect immediately, for all lists.

When a Higher List is revised and re-released, all current teachers for that list will have the skill removed from their card, and will need to re-apply for the ability to teach the list.

Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
    Order of the White Fox
        Master of Defense of the Mages Guild

[hr]
Jonathon G.
Rules Officer
Last edit: 06 Sep 2011 08:27 by .
04 Sep 2011 14:31 - 04 Sep 2011 14:41 #2 by Winks Sharpthorn (Winks)
Does this mean that people are now allowed to apply for the Teach skills? (nevermind that they'll have to do it again when it's revised) I know a few people that would be very happy if that's the case  ;D

EDIT: Also will the same requirement of 40 build spent in at least 4 different skills stand?

In Service to Travance
Ser Winks Sharpthorn, The Resolute
Knight of Drega'Mire
Soul-Blade of Galladel

Alt: William Sterling
Chief Mechanic of the Kormyrian Sky Flotilla
Lead Engineer of the Travancian Railroad

OOG: Walter Soto
Marshal
Cannon Marshal
Last edit: 04 Sep 2011 14:41 by .
  • Ardentfyre
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 25
04 Sep 2011 16:10 #3 by Ardentfyre (Ardentfyre)
Feel free to send in your requests but whether we'll grant your request before the lists are re-written is still up in the air, so I'm not guaranteeing anything.

EDIT: Also will the same requirement of 40 build spent in at least 4 different skills stand?

Yes, the requirements of the Teach skills are still listed on each of the Higher Lists so until that changes the requirements will stay the same.

Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
    Order of the White Fox
        Master of Defense of the Mages Guild

[hr]
Jonathon G.
Rules Officer
  • Velius
  • Never walk into a fair fight when walking into an unfair fight is an option.
  • Thank Yous: 76
04 Sep 2011 19:29 #4 by Velius (Velius)

Higher Lists - New Teaching Procedures, and General Rules

From this point on Collin can learn further lessons from other teachers should he wish, or continue learning from Erdrick. The next month, Erdrick may choose to continue to teach Collin, or to teach another student if Collin is not present, or to end his lessons to Collin if there is some reason to do so.

Just so I am reading thw ording of this correctly, this means that a student is not locked to his teacher for a specific list? IE: Collin could choose to learn his second lesson of Master Warrior from someone other than Erdrick in the event that Erdrick is not at an event, is indisposed and unable to teach, or has been consumed by a Grue?

"I don't always NPC. But when I do, it's for years at a time."
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
04 Sep 2011 20:19 #5 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Correct.  It might not be a wise thing to do IG (pissing off a potential teacher for the rest of the list), but if something were to happen that would require a new teacher, yes.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
06 Sep 2011 08:28 #6 by Gallion (Gallion)
Please take note that ive corrected the first paragraph to read that to apply for a master teach position you must first contact the Atmosphere Officer.

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
11 Sep 2011 17:15 #7 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
This has been updated in the Online Rulebook.

Steward of Elvalion
  • Casandra
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Let me take you on a journey like no other...
  • Thank Yous: 206
12 Sep 2011 08:46 #8 by Casandra (Casandra)
Hey Everyone,
Thanks for all of the submissions.
I did recieve a lot of requests last week. I'll be going through all of the various emails & messages and adding everyone to the list over the next few days.

Casandra Blackthorne
Lady of Alisandria

Merchant and Professional Absintheur
Black Orchid Merchant Company

• Thank Yous: 0
12 Sep 2011 22:26 #9 by Vyth Nar (Vyth Nar)
How many people can you teach lessons to?

-Vyth Nar Malina' Lokion-

(OOG Jeff Mclean)
12 Sep 2011 22:28 #10 by Winks Sharpthorn (Winks)

A teacher may advance one student one lesson of their training per event, per list. This means that the teacher may advance as many students as they have Higher List Teach skills, at a rate of one student per specific list.

Taken from first post in this topic.

In Service to Travance
Ser Winks Sharpthorn, The Resolute
Knight of Drega'Mire
Soul-Blade of Galladel

Alt: William Sterling
Chief Mechanic of the Kormyrian Sky Flotilla
Lead Engineer of the Travancian Railroad

OOG: Walter Soto
Marshal
Cannon Marshal
  • Vyth Nar
12 Sep 2011 23:20 #11 by Vyth Nar (Vyth Nar)
LOL, thanks man missed it.

-Vyth Nar Malina' Lokion-

(OOG Jeff Mclean)
  • Seámus Aeislin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Glaine ár gcroí! Neart ár ngéag! Beart de réir ár mbriathar!
  • Thank Yous: 30
14 Sep 2011 11:50 #12 by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin)
Replied by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin) on topic Rules Update: Higher Lists - New Teaching Procedures, and General Rules
Alright, silly question time. Now, I get that you have to go through the series of lessons before you can actually start learning the skills off of the list. My question is can the teacher advance that one person per month and still teach skills to other students that have that list already (as in have finished their training)? For example, Barack taught me the first Master Warrior lesson this past event. Would he be able to advance me to that second lesson next moon and still teach his other students skills from the list normally?

IG:
Main - Sir Seámus Aeislin of the Clan MacInnes

Alt - Boryev Solvei, Baro of the Solvei Kampania
#bigtomdidnuffinwrong
OOG - Shane Johnson
Monster Marshal
  • Erdrick
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 161
14 Sep 2011 12:32 #13 by Erdrick (Erdrick)
Yes, you can teach skills to players with the list as well as advance 1 new student per month per list.

Lord Erdrick Brightstar
Guardian of Belladeen
(Samuel Roberts)
16 Sep 2011 13:31 #14 by Birnum Pyre (Birnum Pyre)
Replied by Birnum Pyre (Birnum Pyre) on topic Rules Update: Higher Lists - New Teaching Procedures, and General Rules
How will this change affect the restrictions on learning Higher List skills? I assume the first lesson counts as learning a new Higher List skill, leaving the student only able to self teach another usage of a previously known Higher List skill. What about the subsequent lessons? Do they have any impact on a character learning new skills from higher lists they already posses? Will the subsequent lessons count for filling either the new or self taught slots?

OOG:
Brendan O'Hara
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
16 Sep 2011 13:32 #15 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
"The month a player fully completes their training and learns the list, it counts towards their "new higher list skill" for the month - the first and non-final lessons do not count as Higher List skills."

Steward of Elvalion
16 Sep 2011 13:38 #16 by Birnum Pyre (Birnum Pyre)
Replied by Birnum Pyre (Birnum Pyre) on topic Rules Update: Higher Lists - New Teaching Procedures, and General Rules
*sigh* I'll just go sit with Jeff.

OOG:
Brendan O'Hara
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
16 Sep 2011 23:26 #17 by JoDios (JoDios)
Way to go Brendan.

OOG: Jo
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.630 seconds