Issues with staying logged into the Forums

• GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
01 Dec 2011 19:35 #1 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Issues with staying logged into the Forums was created by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
A few people have noted issues with staying logged into the forums - they will be logged in over on the left, where the log in / log out area is, but the Forums will not have them logged in.

I'm aware of the issue, and will look into it as time permits - this is a new bug that has come up since the last round of updates.  Usually, just hitting "Refresh" SHOULD fix the issue.

I'll update here as needed as I work on the issue.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
21 Dec 2011 21:15 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Issues with staying logged into the Forums
As a heads up, I'm finally getting the time to be able to look into this in-depth... the past few weeks have been OOG hellishly busy for me, preventing me from getting to this sooner.

That being said, I am also staging a major upgrade to the Forums software, which should make things faster, less prone to spammers, and easier to administer.  I won't be making this switch until I am 100% sure we won't be losing any functionality (such as the private boards), and it won't disrupt any KR Events (like the Banquet, or a weekend event).

Steward of Elvalion
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
22 Dec 2011 12:59 #3 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Issues with staying logged into the Forums
I think I have found a short-term fix for the issue of staying logged in - if you are still having issues staying logged in, please reply to this post with:

1) Your Browser
2) Your computer's OS
3) Any errors you might be seeing (i.e. - logged into the site, but not the forums; or the forums, but not the site.)

Thank you!

Steward of Elvalion
26 Dec 2011 11:16 #4 by Clyde MacIntosh Arkanian (WafflesMcDuff)
Replied by Clyde MacIntosh Arkanian (WafflesMcDuff) on topic Issues with staying logged into the Forums
I am using Google Chrome on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

I am not getting an error. However the login box on the left is showing a box for username and password rather than the normal part that shows I'm logged in and sometimes I go to reply to a post and it tells me I need to be logged in.

Warmest Regards,

Clyde MacIntosh Arkanian
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OOG: Josh Goldberg
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. --Douglas Adams
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
27 Dec 2011 02:00 #5 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Issues with staying logged into the Forums
1. FireFox 8.0
2. Laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit).
3. Cookie issue with JFusion. Will be logged into SMF, but not Joomla.

Note: Issue doesn't occur on my smartphone anymore, as opposed to before when I would get the same problem.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
27 Dec 2011 08:50 #6 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Noted - thank you.  I'm working with the developer on any remaining bugs.

Steward of Elvalion
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Dec 2011 18:42 #7 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Some of you (OK, everyone who has an account on the forums) may have received an email about your account on the new "Knight Realms - Test Site" today.

That was me, pulling an Epic DERP.

I am working on a new version of the Website & Forums, but as I've already learned, you don't want to screw with the live forums, so I made a copy.  In the process, it accidentally emailed everyone saying they had an account on the new site.

When the new site goes live, I'll give plenty of warning, and precede it with an email letting everyone know.

Until then, this incident never happened.

Steward of Elvalion
28 Dec 2011 19:18 #8 by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar)
Replied by Ekatarina McKraegar (EkatarinaMcGregar) on topic Issues with staying logged into the Forums
What email???

In all seriousness I didn't get an email from you about this. Should I be worried?

Templar Ekatarina Esmeralda Kisslinger McKregar, Prophet of the Kindred Oak

Neina Avaren

OOC: Ann A.- Logistics Marshal
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
28 Dec 2011 19:24 #9 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
I wouldn't worry about it - it was just an automated message that should not have gone out in the first place. ;)

In regards to issues with staying logged in - the developers of the software that connects the forums to the rest of the website are stumped, and we're not sure how to progress at this point.  From here, I'm working on moving to a different forums software instead of fixing the current one, since that seems to be a dead end.  Until then, there will still be issues with staying logged in.  I know, it sucks... I'm working as fast as I can to get the new setup ready, real life permitting.

I'll post more information here once there's news on the new site & forums.

Steward of Elvalion
  • Oren Tenderson
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Be better than you were the day before.
  • Thank Yous: 172
28 Dec 2011 23:19 #10 by Oren Tenderson (Tormy)
Replied by Oren Tenderson (Tormy) on topic Issues with staying logged into the Forums
In general I have not been having trouble staying logged in.  But when the site does give me troubles, I either hit the 'home' button, or if that doesn't work then I try logging out.  The weird thing is, that if I hit log out, the site logs me in correctly.

This is less a complaint, and more of something for those of us that are having problems to keep in mind.  Also it might give Geoff a new hint to the problem that he wasn't aware of yet.

Captain Oren Zero Tenderson of the Royal Baronial Guard of Travance.

OOG- William Bartlett
Marshal
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
29 Dec 2011 00:29 #11 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Issues with staying logged into the Forums
I've PM'd Geoff about the issue, & for some folks, if you log out/hit refresh/or do anything which causes your ID & session to be renewed... you'll find yourself with the proper page displayed or behavior corrected.

It looks to be a "cookie" issue & for those who have this page bookmarked or favorite, the issue will come & go.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Kelly
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 134
29 Dec 2011 01:08 #12 by Kelly (Kelly)
Replied by Kelly (Kelly) on topic Issues with staying logged into the Forums
I've only had one issue since the latest patch, and I just had to restart the computer and it was fine.

Dame Zafrin Yhatzi
Knight of Drega'mire

OOG: Kelly Osborne
29 Dec 2011 02:43 #13 by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
Replied by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen) on topic Issues with staying logged into the Forums
Using Google Chrome on Windows 7

I was having the same problem as Will, where it wouldn't show me as logged in when I came to the forums, but as soon as I hit the Home tab or refresh the page everything would be back to normal.  I have not had this problem since the update.

I am, however, still having the same problem on the Storyteller board.

Skimmel

Skimmel
RP Marshal, Rules Marshal, Storyteller
  • Seamstress
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Sew much fabric, sew little time
  • Thank Yous: 1
30 Dec 2011 21:48 #14 by Seamstress (Seamstress)
Replied by Seamstress (Seamstress) on topic Issues with staying logged into the Forums
Kudos to you Geoff.  Overall, the KR website is amazing, with all kinds of content and whistles and bells.  I don't know how much you get paid (if at all? :>) but I hope your life settles down some so you can relax and get the fixes done.  Unitl then, thanks for everything else!

OOG ~ Tina S ~ aka Seamstress
Primary Location 42°42' N, 75°11' W
Preferred Location 18°22'N, 78°14'W
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
06 Jan 2012 19:07 #15 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
You all are not the only ones being bitten by this - I'm getting logged out every 15 min or so now, myself...

The new version of the website is coming along, and should be ready to go on MLK Day (January 16th).  That will give us time for the Banquet to pass, but still 2 weeks before the next event.

In the interest of maintaining everyone's sanity, a handful of things may be missing from the new site, like Web Links or events that have happened in the past - I'll migrate them over to the new site as time permits.  I'll also keep a copy of the old site and forums around for about a year, in case any issues come up.

Steward of Elvalion
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.564 seconds