Monster Zones

• Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
04 Mar 2012 23:54 - 04 Mar 2012 23:57 #1 by Gallion (Gallion)
Monster Zones was created by Gallion (Gallion)
Monster Zones

As of this event we will begin the introduction of a new idea called “Monster Zones”. This idea is not unlike a common strategy used by MMORPGs when they create areas of the game appropriate for certain level characters. The idea behind these Monster Zones is to create an area of constant open world content that players of appropriate level can go to engage in a simple and fun combat encounter while scoring some treasure for their efforts.

For the first few months we will be focusing on only adding a Monster Zone for new to low levels, basically encompassing a challenge level designed for level 1 to 10. All paths leading to the area will be marked with a wooden staked sign reading “Danger – Goblins” This does not necessarily mean that every encounter will be goblins, but rather infers that the power level of the area is low. If you are more powerful than the area is designed for, you should not engage the monsters in combat. We ask that everyone respect this request, but will deal with offenders individually if it becomes an issue.

The area might have between two to four NPCs depending on how our resources look on a particular shift. Those NPCs will set themselves up as an encounter with treasure and wait for a group to stumble across them. After the encounter is resolved they will wait for the PCs to leave and set up a new encounter. While it is encouraged that new players visit the area frequently (that is after all what they are there for) we ask that you don’t stand nearby and simply stare at the NPCs waiting for them to re-set. Leaving the area and coming back fifteen minutes later is fine.

For this idea to work, especially when we add in mid and high level areas, we will need to depend on volunteers to help. At any given time you may volunteer to NPC for a Monster Zone for two-hour shifts. For every four hours of volunteering you do for Monster Zones you are awarded a random trinket roll on the fate list, in addition to 300 SP each two hour shift. Volunteering in this fashion does not excuse you from your regular four-hour NPC shift and these added rewards are given only to those volunteering outside their NPC duty.

For the upcoming event we will be using the tent site area closet to the maze for the low level monster zone. The zone will not be active at all times, but when it is, the in-game signs will be up to be noticed.

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
Last edit: 04 Mar 2012 23:57 by Gallion (Gallion).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aselra Coalbeard (Aselra)
  • rivanyasi
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Opportunity lets you find, Skill lets you procure.
  • Thank Yous: 42
05 Mar 2012 00:55 #2 by rivanyasi (rivanyasi)
Replied by rivanyasi (rivanyasi) on topic Monster Zones
That's an awesome idea... A couple questions about it, though:

Are the zones going to change per event to accommodate player camping (since you're using a tent site this month)?

Are the rules about NPCing for the weekend going to be modified, if players want to NPC and/or pay for the Monster Zones?

And finally, at what point is it acceptable to have higher players intervene/bring along low-levels to riskier monster zones to save lives/show the ropes?

Na'ar Chacov, Soul of the Stars.

Ayiri Amexis, Sorceress' Apprentice.
Lupta Tamasa, Torn and Blackened.

OOG: Riva A.
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
05 Mar 2012 06:46 #3 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Monster Zones
- The locations may change or they may stay in the same area. The idea is experimental and may evolve, but we will keep people in the loop as we decide.

- Rules about NPCing will stay the same. This does not change the regular NPC shift rules one bit. During a regular NPC shift whoever is running the monster zone may come to logistics and grab a couple of NPCs to use for it. Please don't ask for the assignment during your shift, whoever is in charge of the Monster Zone for a time, will just silently pick one or two, tell the MM and whisk them away. If you actively want to volunteer to NPC a monster zone you must do so outside your regular NPC gift, but you will be compensated, and it should be fun. To volunteer for a Monster Zone, go to that zone, oog and ask the NPC in charge if you can do so.

- We will wait to write details for mid and high level monster zones for when we get around to creating them. Likely many months from now when we decide if this idea works well or not.

• Tom P
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 124
05 Mar 2012 13:03 #4 by Tom P (Father Ridigan)
Replied by Tom P (Father Ridigan) on topic Monster Zones
So, what would the level cap be regarding low level, mid level, and high level, just so there is no confusion?

Tom P

Father Ridigan

Robert "Dirge" Morgan
  • Toravisu
  • Thank Yous: 6
05 Mar 2012 13:23 #5 by Toravisu (Toravisu)
Replied by Toravisu (Toravisu) on topic Monster Zones
This sounds great!!!

Toravisu Inuzuka
Wandering ronin
Defender of the weave.
Son of Hotsuma Inuzuka

-Travis R.
  • Narcis
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "For every living person there are generations of dead. Which realm would you rather rule?"
  • Thank Yous: 450
05 Mar 2012 15:08 #6 by Narcis (ChrisR)
Replied by Narcis (ChrisR) on topic Monster Zones
This sounds like it could be really interesting! (That's coming from someone who tries to stay out of combat)

I guess Ava might just need to start fighting more now XD

OOG:Chris R.
Storyteller / Marshal
  • Chris G.
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Our Life is Made by the Death of Others...
  • Thank Yous: 95
05 Mar 2012 16:12 #7 by Chris G. (Cross)
Replied by Chris G. (Cross) on topic Monster Zones
@Tom - Currently we are experimenting with a level 1 to 10 bracket. Other details will be posted as they are made official.

[hr]
Squire Lucas R. Brand
Squire to Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
--
Tanis Rily'anna
--
OOG: Chris Goley
Mook
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ming Na (Ming Na)
  • Raxas
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 14
06 Mar 2012 11:12 #8 by Raxas (Raxas Lonestar)
Replied by Raxas (Raxas Lonestar) on topic Monster Zones
This would be something that is a great addon to get the lower levels doing something and not trying to go to a higher mod site just to have some fun :lol: (not like ive done this as my alt)

OOG: Randy Werd
Marshal
  • Velius
  • Never walk into a fair fight when walking into an unfair fight is an option.
  • Thank Yous: 76
06 Mar 2012 21:06 #9 by Velius (Velius)
Replied by Velius (Velius) on topic Monster Zones
Do your 2 Monster Zone shifts need to be consecutive/in the same weekend in order to receive a trinket roll? Or will it be recorded on your card the same way service and RP points are tallied if you do an odd number of shifts?

"I don't always NPC. But when I do, it's for years at a time."
06 Mar 2012 21:40 - 06 Mar 2012 21:42 #10 by Cedric Moss (mastermike)
Replied by Cedric Moss (mastermike) on topic Monster Zones
First off allow me to say that this is a FANTASTIC idea!

Secondly, I have two questions;

1) The only problem I foresee is a group of PCs returning again and again all day long, not giving much chance for other smaller groups to get in and still be slightly challenged and/or get a worthy amount of treasure for themselves. I could see that causing people to eventually consider this idea to be too much trouble for the reward. That, and/or one group constantly running into the same encounter on purpose would just load them up on treasure, and make it completely predictable what they are dealing with. Not trying to critique this amazing idea when it is not my place to do so. I am sure you guys already thought these things through. I was just wondering how it is being handled, if in fact you all are at liberty to disclose that information.

2) Will the level cap be slightly higher for healers and other equally essential support characters?

Thank you.

"If I heal you every time this happens, how then will you ever learn to properly choose your battles? Come see me after the clotting begins. That way I'll know you had enough time to think on how to better handle yourself the next time you get angry."

Cedric Moss
Healer, Mage, and Vassal to Alisandria

OOG: Mike Lamkins
Last edit: 06 Mar 2012 21:42 by Cedric Moss (mastermike).
  • Casandra
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Let me take you on a journey like no other...
  • Thank Yous: 206
07 Mar 2012 06:13 #11 by Casandra (Casandra)
Replied by Casandra (Casandra) on topic Monster Zones
I think everyone's questions can mostly be answered by rereading James's original post.

This is a new concept being tested.
It is for levels 1 - 10 only.
Like all other encounters, you go at your own risk.
There may be higher level zones in the future, once this is done being tested.

If you "camp" the spot, the npcs will know and will deal with it as needed, but since James already gave the instructions for that, we hope everyone will abide by them.

Casandra Blackthorne
Lady of Alisandria

Merchant and Professional Absintheur
Black Orchid Merchant Company

07 Mar 2012 16:38 #12 by Alexander Silvers (Silversupremacy)
Replied by Alexander Silvers (Silversupremacy) on topic Monster Zones
I must say this is a great idea, especially since being a low level character myself I rarely get to see much combat and have only found the most significnt combat to be sparring, so the idea of an area which will allow me to return every so often (every 2-4 hours or so) when I want a good fight is particularly appealing. The only concern i see may be the traffic and too many people atempting to access the area at the same time, which can probably be easily solved by adding multiple encounters within the area if the number of available NPCs permits.

Alexander Wilhelm Silvers IV,
Silvers-Family Heir
Vassal to Dregamire

OOC: Greg Henschel
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
07 Mar 2012 18:26 #13 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Monster Zones
Some members of KR came down this week and helped to build a goblin camp to be the area. It came out great for just a couple days of work.

My larger concern is it not being used enough, not too much use. Well play it out and see how it goes and adjust as we need to, but low level characters please don't be shy about visiting. to start at least, Id rather see it get too much use, than too little use.

As of right now we do not have set hours that it will operate, but likely to start it will be open for daylight hours, saturday and sunday. Myself, Chris Goley, and Jeff M, are going to operate it from time to time and play it by ear this first event. If we lock down an alteration to the system after this event we will let you know.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Woolsey Bysmor (Osred), Tsoli (Tsoli), Dimetri Yhatzi (DMvanhart)
  • Kirsten
  • Thank Yous: 105
12 Mar 2012 13:09 #14 by Kirsten (Lotano)
Replied by Kirsten (Lotano) on topic Monster Zones
The Monster Zone was awesome this weekend. My group only used it once Saturday afternoon, but now we know it's there and will certainly use it more often in April. Thank you for running such a great, fun area for we lower level players.

Emeline of Alisandria

OOG Kirsten L

Emeline Patterson
Knight of Alisandria

Kirsten
  • Chris G.
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Our Life is Made by the Death of Others...
  • Thank Yous: 95
12 Mar 2012 13:15 #15 by Chris G. (Cross)
Replied by Chris G. (Cross) on topic Monster Zones
Thank you everybody for working with us in this new venture for KR. It was a fantastic launching point and we were given a lot of great feedback. Look forward to seeing more of the Monster Zones as well as some tweaks to their design to improve the entertainment of each encounter.

As always, my biggest thanks goes to everybody who came and volunteered time inside the zones to help entertain the players of our game. Without your sense of community, Knight Realms would not be as entertaining and welcoming as it is today. So again, thank you all and look forward to some exciting additions in the upcoming months!

[hr]
Squire Lucas R. Brand
Squire to Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
--
Tanis Rily'anna
--
OOG: Chris Goley
Mook
The following user(s) said Thank You: geezer (geezer), Ming Na (Ming Na)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.590 seconds