Restricted Races have been changed to Capped Races

• Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
28 May 2013 08:01 #1 by Gallion (Gallion)
Restricted Races have been changed to Capped Races was created by Gallion (Gallion)
"Restricted Races" have been changed to "Capped Races"

We have remove the concept of "Restricted Races" and have replace it with the concept of "Capped Races"

"Capped Races"
There are some races at Knight Realms that only make sense in the game world in lower numbers. These races tend to be make-up or role-play heavy, and you must follow all make-up and role-play guidelines to play characters of these races. If ever you are portraying a capped race egregiously opposed to the way it is intended, we may reserve the right to ask you to adjust your make-up, costuming or role-play to continue to be allowed to play the character. If ever the staff decides that there are too many of a "Capped Race" attending events consistently, then the race will be temporarily removed from the active character creation options. If you would like to make such a character during this time of a race being declared "Capped", then you may ask to be put on a waiting list. The capped races are: Dark Elves, Londwynians, Sylphs and Jaxuarians.

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom P (Father Ridigan)
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
28 May 2013 08:02 #2 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Restricted Races have been changed to Capped Races
As of current, none of the "Capped Races" are declared as "Capped"

• Augustus
  • Thank Yous: 56
16 Jun 2013 19:23 #3 by Augustus (OEBlaze)
Replied by Augustus (OEBlaze) on topic Restricted Races have been changed to Capped Races
Would you still need to apply to be one of these races, or would that only be when it is "capped" and you need to be put on the waiting list?

John Smith
[hr][hr]Augustus Waters
Private in the Baronial Guard

[hr]OOG: Justin E. Torres
New Player Marshal
[hr]
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
16 Jun 2013 21:42 #4 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Restricted Races have been changed to Capped Races
Only when it is capped do you need to be put on a list.

09 Jul 2013 21:23 #5 by Piggy Punch (Wyen Nightfrost)
Replied by Piggy Punch (Wyen Nightfrost) on topic Restricted Races have been changed to Capped Races
Forgive me if I am missing this in the conversation as I am quite tired, so because the races are not "Capped" as of yet that means we don't need to apply to be one?

Baht A'tal Damien Mograinne
Champion of Galmachis

OOG Josh LaBar
  • Alex
  • Kingslayer
  • Thank Yous: 206
09 Jul 2013 23:52 - 10 Jul 2013 00:11 #6 by Alex (Wormwood)
Replied by Alex (Wormwood) on topic Restricted Races have been changed to Capped Races
What are the criteria for a race being capped? Will it be as utterly arbitrary as it seems? Will there be legitimate statistics taken to determine when a race is capped and uncapped? How long will a disproportionate population need to exist to warrant a cap? What constitutes a disproportionate population? How long for the reverse? Why are these steps being taken on races and not on other statistical rarities like, oh, say, every profession in the book?

It has long been understood that the PCs are meant to represent a "heroic" population, and do not serve as a fair cross section of the population at large(not to mention there are simply more than 100 people in the barony at a time!!!!). Pursuing this principle should mean that 95 percent of pcs cant have anything but the common list, and only one orc, druid, mage, ogre, chaos warrior, etc should be able to attend a given event. as far as enforcing roleplay and costuming requirements, isnt this new policy redundant? arent ALL characters held to a standard of acting and appearance?

Basically what im trying to get at here, is that this seems like an utterly pointless and frankly unenforceable rule. As a paying customer I BEG you to focus on the myriad of glaring issues to the rules and plot continuity at knight realms rather than adding additional levels of needless complication. kthx.

OOG: Alex B.
Last edit: 10 Jul 2013 00:11 by Alex (Wormwood).
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
10 Jul 2013 06:16 #7 by Gallion (Gallion)
Josh, You are correct. You do not need approval.

Alex, at the moment yes, it is arbitrary and we are not following specific statistics. I do not honestly foresee so many people playing Jaxuarians etc... that they will need to be capped and it is possible that when all is said and done that even tthe capped concept will be shelved.

I woke up one morning and decided I did not like the idea that we advertise race options and then immediately take those options away from the starting character selection. If we say you can play a dark elf, id rather you be able to play a dark elf without a huge hassle aside from the players obligation to play the race correctly. Most of these races require prosthetics or an understanding of thier specific RP outside the fantasy standard/norm, this is why I changed it to the concept of "capped" instead of just rolling them completely into the regular races. Regardless of wether the change could have been designed slightly better, it is still an improvement that was quickly made for the benefit of the players. This update occupied a minuscule amount of the staffs time, and did not hinder or sidetrack progress in other areas. Even if it could be better, and even if we change it again to be better in the future, I feel that it was a small amount of time well spent.

The people who work on rules and the Story Tellers who work on plot, are constantly working really hard to make improvements. I witness thier hard work first hand, and on a constant basis. I can think of no other group of people who have worked so hard over the years to constantly improve.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge), Josephine (mferro54), Piggy Punch (Wyen Nightfrost), Dimetri Yhatzi (DMvanhart), Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042), KaT Adams (katadams)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.528 seconds