Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)

• Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 226
24 Oct 2013 14:53 #31 by Goggs (coryan)
Replied by Goggs (coryan) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
Aside from now needing to produce and tear up the card, are the IG requirements for using trinkets the same? (I.e. do we still need to say "invoke Killeroo" when we're using a trinket of Killeroo?)

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

OOG: Cory W-S
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a Maul."
  • Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
24 Oct 2013 15:05 - 24 Oct 2013 15:05 #32 by Goggs (coryan)
Another thing:

One of the lovely things about Berserkers in KR is that they aren't described as just "you're a big person who likes to kill stuff lots," but actually have their own RP description, like the other classes. This description includes:

"Berserkers view small weapons as inadequate for their abilities and refuse to use anything smaller than a two-handed sword to create their carnage."

However, Berserkers now have access to the skill Master Florentine, which seems somewhat at odds with their RP description. With this as a consideration, can we expect to see any of the following changes:
  1. An updated Berserker profession description
  2. Berserkers using Master Florentine with pairs of two-handed or bastard weapons
  3. Something else entirely?

- A. C. Goggins
Quartermaster

Last edit: 24 Oct 2013 15:05 by Goggs (coryan).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Misaki (cbodnar), Moirya (Moirya), rivanyasi (rivanyasi), Annora (Karen), Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
  • Goggs
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
24 Oct 2013 15:25 - 31 Oct 2013 12:51 #33 by Goggs (coryan)
  • Are bound weapons that are destroyed (e.g. by a Shatter Weapon) also considered to be un-bound?
  • If a player leaves one of their bound items in an IG space and then moves more than 5ft away from it, what happens? Can it still be picked up and stolen?
  • If an item with the "physrep stealable" property is bound, is the physrep indeed still stealable?
  • Can trinkets still contain casted abilities? If so, when determining whether the trinket is a bauble, a device, or an INVENTION, do we use the converted career point cost, or the build cost to learn the ability? (e.g. Incinerate: costs 6 MP to cast, but 3 build to learn.)
  • Furthermore, if an ability is cast using a trinket, does it have the same Source trait as if it had been cast normally? (e.g. Incinerate normally has Source: Arcane (Fire), will it still have this source if it's cast from a trinket?)
  • From the rulebook:

Once a character becomes eligible to purchase a promotion skill, she can purchase it at any time, regardless of whether she opens additional profession lists.

• Will this remain true through these rules changes? i.e. if a character met the criteria for buying their promo before the rules update, will they still be allowed to buy it afterwards? Or will we have to try to meet the new criteria (if we don't already?)

• - A. C. Goggins
    Quartermaster

Last edit: 31 Oct 2013 12:51 by Goggs (coryan).
    • Bat Cooper
    • Premium Member
    • Premium Member
    • Thank Yous: 74
    24 Oct 2013 15:50 #34 by Bat Cooper (Cassius23)
    Replied by Bat Cooper (Cassius23) on topic Re:Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    So in order to have a weapon that strikes for more damage or armor that has extra soak, you need to have the heroic smith list? Or did I read that wrong?

IC: Bat Cooper

OOC: James Jones
    MM
    • Arza
    • Thank Yous: 10
    24 Oct 2013 17:55 #35 by Arza (Calder Putnam)
    Replied by Arza (Calder Putnam) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    it says that to qualify for a promo skill, you need to spend 120 build on that list. So the whole "if you stay with one list until level X, you get the promo" is gone, I guess?
    • Onca
    • Premium Member
    • Premium Member
    • Thank Yous: 202
    24 Oct 2013 18:54 #36 by Onca (Lorelai)
    Replied by Onca (Lorelai) on topic Re:Re: Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    Say i want fire and illusion skills but am not a mage. I open mage and get the spells i want. Do i also need to spend the magic points to use those spells, to be able to use them in an item?

Ex. Have a weapon with fire spell: cloud of smoke. Spend the build to get the spell. Do not have mp for the spell. Then use said item, calling cloud of smoke. allowed?

~ Lorelai Sihnon VonRitter
    Huntress of Galladel
    Head of House VonRitter of the Witch Hunter Academy

OOG:
    Rachel Jump/Onca
    (New Player Marshal)
    24 Oct 2013 19:41 #37 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
    Replied by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)

When using trinkets, you may use skills that are not on your professions, however you may only utilize one type of trinket per period.

Does this mean:
    -You can use one Bauble, one Device, and one Invention each period.
    -You can use any number of Baubles OR any number of Devices OR any number of Inventions each period
    -You can use any number of trinkets in a period, so long as they all have the same skill in them (ie. only Parry trinkets)

-Alexandre Blythewood

OOG: Zach Theis
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Goggs (coryan), Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
    • Ib
    • Thank Yous: 37
    24 Oct 2013 19:52 #38 by Ib (Gannon)
    Replied by Ib (Gannon) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    is the master florentine that has been added to assassin, ronin, and berserker purchasable as of the next event?

Ib Flett
    Asbjorn Vigdisson

OOC - Gannon Shanley
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Dennis Brand (Devin)
    24 Oct 2013 23:07 - 24 Oct 2013 23:08 #39 by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo)
    Replied by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    With the jump in new character levels, will skills cost more build now?
    I'm making an alt this month and I'd like to be able to figure out the math on what skills I'll be getting with the 50 build before I go, if possible!

Akira Saralonde
    Treasurer of Ostcliff
    OOG: Kaitlyn Bober
    Last edit: 24 Oct 2013 23:08 by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo).
    • GJSchaller
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member
    • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
    • Thank Yous: 1379
    24 Oct 2013 23:13 #40 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
    Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)

Akira Saralonde wrote: With the jump in new character levels, will skills cost more build now?
    I'm making an alt this month and I'd like to be able to figure out the math on what skills I'll be getting with the 50 build before I go, if possible!

That would defeat the purpose of giving you more build. :-)

Costs for lower list skills will remain the same. The idea is that you can start with more than two spells and 4 MP, or more than 12 body and a Crit. It's now possible to start with a Weapon Prof and a Parry, a Strength, and plenty more Body or Casting Points so that you don't use your one and only trick your first game, and be "empty" for the rest of the period. You can't start with 3rd Ranks or 7th Level abilities... those you still need to earn and learn In-Game. But it won't be such a climb up from the beginning any more.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
    Steward of Elvalion
    OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
    24 Oct 2013 23:16 #41 by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad)
    Replied by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    I have not played since March 2013 due to KR game conflicting with my own LARP KanaraK l plan to attend KR during this coming winter. Jan Feb March How will this affect Ded Dawg as far as build and PC level since my PC has not been entered into your new card system ?

We hold in our hands the harvest of what we have sown in Hope. Do we sow for Good? or for Evil?

Ded Dawg O'Doul

OOG = Dave Sullivan Sr; Indiana

Kanarak=VC999 Institutional Head
    PC = Ded Dawg O'Doul. Inn Keeper
    NPC = Huh! The Dumbest of the Ale Belly Ogres
    • Fie!
    • Thank Yous: 58
    24 Oct 2013 23:21 #42 by Fie! (Triminac)
    Replied by Fie! (Triminac) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    Regarding the 40 build we all received, will we be able to spend it immediately, as it would be if we all had started at level 5 and had reached whatever level we are now, spending that build in the past? Or are the conditions of Arawyn serving as an active crucible of creative potential allowing us to learn new skills at an extraordinary rate? Or, quite possibly, we are freaking out about Xualla's arrival and are simply working our asses off to prepare.

Owen Piper
    Admiral of the Kormyrian Royal Navy
    Named Successor to Lord Admiral Aleister Demirosz

OOG - Josh Heeder
    Marshal and Personal Quest Team
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Terzak (TheArchMage)
    • GJSchaller
    • Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member
    • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
    • Thank Yous: 1379
    24 Oct 2013 23:45 #43 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
    Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Re:Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    The new system has nothing to do with the 40 build, other than that you can see it on your card if you're in it. The next event you attend, you'll get the 40 at the event, and be entered to the system after the event.

The 40 is unspent, and you spend it at game like you normally would, through learning or self teaching.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
    Steward of Elvalion
    OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
    25 Oct 2013 00:48 #44 by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo)
    Replied by Akira Saralonde (katemariexo) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    Ahh, perfect! Thank you :)

Akira Saralonde
    Treasurer of Ostcliff
    OOG: Kaitlyn Bober
    25 Oct 2013 09:21 #45 by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge)
    Replied by Brunner Von Ritter (Martin Bridge) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    So, I did a certain pledge amount last time I KRed, and attained a magic weapon with a number of effects and so forth. This update supersedes the weapon effects I am guessing?

Second question is a bit more direct. If you have used a pledge to get a magic item, will the build towards the magic item be refunded AND the build used in the magic item be essentially transferred into ready skills? or would it just be ordinary build that has to be relearned?

Finally, with those who are only with us once in a blue moon, would lesson time be reduced/avoided?

OOC Name - Martin Bridge
    • Gallion
    • Administrator
    • Administrator
    • Thank Yous: 2677
    28 Oct 2013 17:33 - 28 Oct 2013 17:36 #46 by Gallion (Gallion)
    Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    Hey guys! I just wanted to post a couple of things here so that everything is understood correctly.

The major improvements we are working on (The ones we posted about, along with the ones we will not have ready until Jan/Feb) are all part of a large, linked together change that is intended to do a few things to the Knight Realms rules system:

- The changes (in thier completion) will bring the lower level characters up some with the starting boost, and lower the super high level characters down a little in power, by reducing the high end numbers of BP, AP and Weapon Damage. The Magic Item change will largely help with this as well, by creating a situation where more low level characters will get and keep special items, and higher level characters will stop compiling an unlimited number of items on top of thier already hefty arsenal. The nature of this change is to facilitate a more well rounded blending of power in an environment were both low level and high level characters exist at the same time.

- All the while, the Heroic Lists will make the high end game rules fun and engaging for the higher level characters. In theory the Heroic lists are intended for high level characters, characters who have existed in the game world for many years. These Heroic lists will not be huge, in fact they will be quite small. The average only has six skills, out of which you can only pick four. These skills are more potent than normal skills and are designed to augment your very specific profession title. Gold piece for Gold piece, the master lists are worth more at face value, but the Heroic lists are an additional boost your character can gain above the master lists, and the skills on them are meant to be "cool".

With all of these changes taking place, NPC enemies will need to be reduced in power level. This is great news for allowing the low to mid level characters to not feel overwhelmed in the game world. We will spend the next many months playing around with NPC stats to find the right balance, but none of you need worry about being hosed in the transitional period. We will be paying close attention to NPC stats in comparison to where we are at in these improvements.

So far the response has been mostly very positive, and I thank you all for that. Change is hard for everyone, but really great change is worth struggling through the heartaches. In the end, the game system will be a lot more fun for characters of all levels across the board and that is a goal we are very eager to work hard for!

Thanks!

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
    Last edit: 28 Oct 2013 17:36 by Gallion (Gallion).
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack (Keeperofdice), Pappy (Quan), Goggs (coryan), Terzak (TheArchMage), Meander Correlis (SarahBrand)
    • Tsoli
    • Life is simple, but we insist on making it complex
    • Thank Yous: 63
    28 Oct 2013 17:59 #47 by Tsoli (Tsoli)
    Replied by Tsoli (Tsoli) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    I just realized something. The old rules said either 120 build or not multiclassing until level 10, will there be any granfathering in of that style of promo?

T'soli Silverbow of House Silverbow

If we call for the proof and we question the answers,
    Only the doubt will grow

OOG: Bill Friederich - Live while you Live
    Kitchen Marshal
    • Rowan Uidhir
    • Premium Member
    • Premium Member
    • Beans, beans, the musical fruit...
    • Thank Yous: 145
    29 Oct 2013 15:14 #48 by Rowan Uidhir (Teresa)
    Replied by Rowan Uidhir (Teresa) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    Fate Of The Beginner
    Cost: 200 SP
    Either +10 BP (Healable); or +5 of any and all Career Points types. This fate refreshes periodically. Character must be below 5th level to purchase this Fate.

Is it safe to assume that this will be changed to Characters level 10 and under?
    You know what they about when you assume :whistle: )

(OOG) Teresa Amore
    • Terzak
    • Premium Member
    • Premium Member
    • Tell me, thief, do you know anything about MAGIC?
    • Thank Yous: 154
    29 Oct 2013 15:30 #49 by Terzak (TheArchMage)
    Replied by Terzak (TheArchMage) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    How does the item change affect scrolls and weapons?

By my hand,
    Professor Terzak Winstonshire

OOG: Will Harrington
    • Tim P
    • Elite Member
    • Elite Member
    • Thank Yous: 379
    29 Oct 2013 15:31 #50 by Tim P (OrganicGolem)
    Replied by Tim P (OrganicGolem) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    Back in my day we started with only 6 build, and we liked it. We didn't have any of these new fangled fates.

[hr]
    -Tim P
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix), Bladesworn (Bladesworn), Aria (Aria), THENPC (THENPC), Elawyn (Elawyn), Jack (Keeperofdice), Misaki (cbodnar), Chris D (Brogan), Ib (Gannon), JTinney (Swordsaint), Moirya (Moirya), Zathir (Clevatus), Caelvan (Caelvan), Rowan Uidhir (Teresa), Fortier (Greysect), Goggs (coryan), Kanas Whisperwood Silverfang (midgetelf), Terzak (TheArchMage), Renji Shintaro (digitaldpad)
    • Chris D
    • Thank Yous: 63
    30 Oct 2013 11:01 #51 by Chris D (Brogan)
    Replied by Chris D (Brogan) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    Due to the fact that I am not sure when I can get back due to real life is there someone or a group of people people can get in touch with to get the magic items/ trinkets resolved so that when I do show back up I am not spending the first hour or two trying to get this resolved? I know myself and a few of my friends will fall under this issue with our speratic appearances.

please let me know or send me a PM if easier

Thanks

Cyan Bloodbane

oog- Chris D
    30 Oct 2013 19:27 #52 by Galean Vardok (DMcLean)
    Replied by Galean Vardok (DMcLean) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    I was wondering about Wytchwood. It says in the Rule book:

Wytchwood: An armament or item comprised of at least fifteen units of Wytchwood grants its bearer one use of the skill Ignore Magic each period; the item must be wielded in hand to invoke the Ignore Magic. If a Wytchwood item is broken, the pieces will re-bond after five uninterrupted minutes of being held together. It can be used to forge armaments and items that require units of wood.

With the new rules can you not get ignore magic unless you already have it? And if you can is it still per period or is it per event?

IG: Galean Vardok

OOG: Devon M.
    • Terzak
    • Premium Member
    • Premium Member
    • Tell me, thief, do you know anything about MAGIC?
    • Thank Yous: 154
    04 Nov 2013 21:50 #53 by Terzak (TheArchMage)
    Replied by Terzak (TheArchMage) on topic Major Improvements To The Game (NOV 2013)
    Is the old "How to Identify Wild Mage rule" (you must be Level Five and Cast Magic to be able to identify the difference between a Wild Mage and a regular Mage.) going to be bumped up to Level 7 or due to unexplained or unknown circumstances going to stay at level 5.

By my hand,
    Professor Terzak Winstonshire

OOG: Will Harrington
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Goggs (coryan)
    Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
    Time to create page: 0.949 seconds