A note about temps, personal health and safety

• JTinney
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Lad... Never hit if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting.... But if ye have to hit, never hit soft
  • Thank Yous: 537
06 Mar 2014 16:54 - 06 Mar 2014 16:56 #1 by JTinney (Swordsaint)
A note about temps, personal health and safety was created by JTinney (Swordsaint)
The temps predicted for this weekend.... highs and lows

Friday 39/22
Saturday 46/25
Sunday... 38

While the temperatures expected for this weekend don't seem overly bad, they can be a dangerous thing to YOU if you don't plan appropriately.

Hypothermia can happen at these temps if ill-prepared- especially because of the great fluctuation in them. That being said, preparing for the weather properly can help manage the potential danger to yourself and make less work for the Medical folks on site.

- Dress in layers; layers offer the best insulation and as temps change, it is far easier to modulate your core temp through adding/removing layers as needed. Dressing like an Eskimo when the temp is above freezing can lead to a Heat injury of all things (yes, it can happen) and we all know what happens when you don't wear appropriate gear for the cold.

- Socks.... Bring Extra and change them as often as necessary. Change them ESPECIALLY if tehy become wet. While Damp boots and dry socks sound crazy, there is a method to it and while the dry socks may become wet it will take time. And if you are not in the wet outdoors, the boots will dry out even faster if there is nothing or something dry on the inside.

I strongly suggest bringing an extra set of foot gear too, if you can as insurance.

- DRINK WATER. Being hydrated is one of the most basic things to help combat hypo-and hyper- thermia. And I will admit it- I am guilty of not drinking enough at times either but I am aware of it and try to make sure I drink a small bottle of water a shift/period (more if I've been fighting alot)

If anyone falls out this weekend due to cold or hydration, I will be very disappointed in y'all unless there was unusual circumstances involved. Then I will just be worried.

Believe me, I much prefer being worried.

One final note about injuries and such-

With the temps climbing then sinking, slippery surfaces are going to be plentiful all over camp and there will be falls by even the most graceful folk. Please Please Please be mindful of surroundings if you wind up in the thick of a fight- it will go a long way to helping prevent injury.

If you take a fall and it continues to hurt after you've recovered and moved on, find one of the former medics or the EMT's (who will be identified at Lay On speech)- especially if you stop your fall with your head. Let us make a base assessment so there is no question that nothing else is going on and if there is it doesn't get the chance to get worse so it ruins weekend. No one wants anyone to go home with something real in terms of injury.

Thank you for reading

Father Duncan MacKenzie

Templar-High Priest of Brazen
Chaplain, Bloodspirits Mercenary Company

Janos Beecham (alt)
Dragoon of No Importance

John Tinney
Safety Marshal/ EMT
Last edit: 06 Mar 2014 16:56 by JTinney (Swordsaint).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kadin D (Katie D), Narcis (ChrisR), Caldor Eirson (Caldor), Meander Correlis (SarahBrand), Thalia Burdorn (abbyl)
  • Rowan Uidhir
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Beans, beans, the musical fruit...
  • Thank Yous: 145
06 Mar 2014 23:28 #2 by Rowan Uidhir (Teresa)
Replied by Rowan Uidhir (Teresa) on topic A note about temps, personal health and safety
Thanks for the heads up, John!

Could someone who is at the campsite tell us how much snow is left on the ground?

(OOG) Teresa Amore
07 Mar 2014 00:49 #3 by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl)
Replied by Thalia Burdorn (abbyl) on topic A note about temps, personal health and safety
Your friendly neighborhood barstaff will happily supply you with whatnot to keep you hydrated!

Thanks for the headsup on the temp John! :)

Thalia Stonebar Burdorn
Consul of Kaladonia
Warden of the Phocus
Ambassador to Calasvorin
Manager, Dragon's Claw Inn;

OOG: Abby Leib
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.467 seconds