Bear Safety

22 Jul 2014 19:26 #1 by Silverbow Patriarch (Ardin)
Bear Safety was created by Silverbow Patriarch (Ardin)
Hello fellow KR players.

The presence of bears at Camp Sac is a reality but not too much of a problem. Since we have many new players, I thought it a good idea to post some bear safety points here.

Black bears by nature tend to be wary of people. However, if you encounter a black bear follow these common-sense safety tips.

Never feed or approach a bear!

Remain calm if you encounter a bear.
Make the bear aware of your presence by speaking in an assertive voice, singing, clapping your hands, or making other noises.

Make sure the bear has an escape route.

Avoid direct eye contact, which may be perceived by a bear as a challenge.

Never run from a bear. Instead, slowly back away.

To scare the bear away, make loud noises by yelling, banging pots and pans or using an airhorn. Make yourself look as big as possible by waving your arms. If you are with someone else, stand close together with your arms raised above your head.

The bear may utter a series of huffs, make popping jaw sounds by snapping its jaws and swat the ground. These are warning signs that you are too close. Slowly back away, avoid direct eye contact and do not run.

If a bear stands on its hind legs or moves closer, it may be trying to get a better view or detect scents in the air. It is usually not a threatening behavior.

Black bears will sometimes "bluff charge" when cornered, threatened or attempting to steal food. Stand your ground, avoid direct eye contact, then slowly back away and do not run.

If the bear does not leave, move to a secure area.

Black bear attacks are extremely rare. If a black bear does attack, fight back!

The bears simply want your food. Keep your food stowed away and transport your trash bags up to the receptacle near Logistics.

I will address the IG aspects of a suspected bear contact during opening announcements on Friday.

See everyone in a few days!

Lord Ardin Silverbow
Lord of Pendarvin

"While others succumb, we overcome."
-Silverbow Motto

OOG: Norm B
Safety Deputy

"When I think of the greatness of my job and realize that I am what I am, I am amazed, but on reflection, who is as good as I am? I know of no one."
-George Patton(I wish Ardin had said this first)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clove (Mark), rivanyasi (rivanyasi), Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042), Peonia Smut'yan Silverfang (Yaya)
22 Jul 2014 21:44 #2 by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933)
Replied by Donald MacFhionnlaigh (raidr0933) on topic Bear Safety
If I may add:

If you have stuff that is not sealable, nor needs refrigeration (produce, dried or cooked meat etc), there is a solution they use out west with rope, a tarp and a branch too small for the bear to climb. It might be a possibility if space in the kitchen gets tight.

Places you might encounter a bear in the summer are near the water or berry bushes that are bearing fruit. Think of places you might find food and you can get where to be really watchful.

Donald MacFhionnlaigh
OOG: Sean Farquharson "Jarhead"
22 Jul 2014 22:56 #3 by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta)
Replied by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta) on topic Bear Safety
Also this is their mating season. As such they are going to be in search of Mates at this time. I will not be bringing Melody to KR for this event because of the possibility of bear being so nearby but... The scent of dogs are recommended to keep bears at bay. Love on your canine and bring some fur. With a collie it's unavoidable.

Birgitta Drexel (Primary)
Commander of Training Baronial Militia
Blood Spirits (Cmd/Sgt)
Blue Dragoon

"Amateurs Practice Until They Get It Right; Professionals Practice Until They Can’t Get It Wrong"

Callisto Boyington (Alt)
Cav.

AKA Leslie McCormack
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy (Andy), Gilthu (Gilthu)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds