An Experiment with Fates of Fortune

20 Nov 2014 15:58 - 24 Nov 2014 17:30 #1 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
An Experiment with Fates of Fortune was created by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
This month coming up, I would like to experiment with how we run the Fates of Fortune, in general we are allowing both SP and Gold to purchase fates, and in addition, we made some modifications to some of the fates. This experiment is expressly happening in December, after which we will evaluate how it went, and then decide if we are going to modify the experiment in future months, leave it as is, or drop it.

In general, those that I have shared this with express a lot of enthusiasm for this experiment, with a few people worrying that it might negatively affect check in. In order to make check in go easier, I would appreciate if anyone who is thinking of buying fates with SP, Gold, or both, please come to the event prepared with what fates you are going to buy. You can use this simple form I made : Fates of Fortune Check in Sheet if you want. In addition, I will have copies of this form, and the various fates available on camp before sign in.

Again, this is a ONE month experiment. If it goes well, it may be continued, and we may eventually expand on things you can use gold to purchase for your character.

Spending SP and Gold for Fates

Sometimes, in an adventurer's life, they are lucky enough to stumble upon things of wondrous power and sometimes they simply find themselves invigorated by fate...

A player can choose at the beginning of the weekend to gain special Fates for their characters. Each individual Fate may be purchased for a character up to twice per event, one time by spending Service Points and one time by spending Gold. Fates can only be purchased at sign-in, must take place inside of Logistics and be signed off by the active LM on duty.

Fate Of The Beginner
Cost: 200 SP or 2 Gold
Either +10 BP (Healable); or +5 of any and all Career Points types. This fate refreshes periodically. Character must be below 10th level to purchase this Fate.

Fate Of Lesser Protection
Cost: 500 SP or 5 Gold
1 of the following Defensive Spell Buffs: Stoneskin, Barkskin, Fluid Motion, Divine Negation, Elemental Shield, Displacement, Mind Shield, Inviolate Form, Deep Pockets, Protect Item. Automatically recast at the beginning of each period.

Fate Of Greater Protection
Cost: 1000 SP or 10 Gold
1 of the following Valance Spells: Negation, Alchemy Shield, or Mind Citadel. Does not refresh after being used.

Fate Of Insight
Cost: 100 SP (or 1 Gold) per Build Point of Skill
1 extra use of a skill you already possess. Skill duplicated is determined at the time of purchase. (Lower Profession only)

Fate Of Wisdom
Cost: 200 SP (or 2 Gold) per Build Point of Skill
1 use of a skill/spell you have the prerequisites for. Skills are restricted to their normal use (Periodic/Event/Continuous) and Spells may be cast as if known. (Lower Profession only)

Fate Of Guidance
Cost: 500 SP (or 5 Gold) per Build cost of skill
Learn one skill without a teacher. (This is the only Fate that can be purchased anytime during the weekend. Lower Profession only, cannot open new lists. We reserve the right to deny any lore or lit skill.)

Fate Of Power
Cost: 1000 SP (or 10 Gold)
+5 Career Points of choice for the weekend. Points refresh periodically.

Fate Of Precision Cost
1000 SP (or 10 gold)
+1 Damage for the weekend.

Fate Of Endurance
Cost:1000 SP (Or 10 Gold)
Additional 15 Healable Body for the weekend

Fate Of Fortune
Cost: 1000 SP (Or 10 gold)
A random Bauble, Device, or Invention, with a small chance for a Rune or an Item with Sockets. Dice are rolled at Logistics when this fate is purchased.

Fate of Meager Supply
Cost 100 SP or 1 Gold
10 Units of Copper, or 1 unit of Silver, or 1 Alchemical or Elemental Essence

Fate Of Lesser Supply
Cost: 500 SP (or 5 Gold)
1 Unit of Tameril Hide, Crystal or Ironwood, or 5 Elemental or Alchemical Essences.

Fate Of Moderate Supply
Cost: 1000 SP (or 10 Gold)
1 unit of Gold, Electrum or Meteoric

Fate Of Greater Supply
Cost: 2500 SP (or 25 Gold)
1 unit of Mithril, Wytchwood, or Fire Drake Scales, or 2 Lesser Weave, Divine, or Druidic Essences. Greater Essences may not be purchased with a Fate.

Fate Of The Treasure Hunter
Cost: 2000 SP (or 20 Gold)
Your choice of the following: 1 Copper, Silver, Crystal, or Ironwood Weapon Card, or 4 Rank I Compounds, or 3 Rank II Compounds, or 2 Rank III Compounds or 1 Rank IV Compound.

-OOG Michael Smith
Last edit: 24 Nov 2014 17:30 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kirsten (Lotano), Chris McKenzie (cgmckenzie), Caldor Eirson (Caldor), ThePhage (markdigi215)
  • ThePhage
  • Thank Yous: 6
21 Nov 2014 03:53 #2 by ThePhage (markdigi215)
Replied by ThePhage (markdigi215) on topic An Experiment with Fates of Fortune
I have a question.

"Fate of Meager Supply
Cost 100 SP or 1 Gold
5 Units of Copper, or 5 units of Silver, or 1 Alchemical or Elemental Essence"

This might sound odd since the rule change, but is that 5 units in the old style, meaning 1 bar of copper or silver, or 5 bars since bars are the only unit we should still be using?

Thanks

IG Tobias Mender
OOG Mark DiGiambattista
21 Nov 2014 11:42 #3 by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507)
Replied by Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga (Null507) on topic Re:An Experiment with Fates of Fortune
I don't know how well your experiment is going to go but that Check In Sheet seems like a great idea whether or not you keep letting people purchase with gold.

Typhon Cedricson Scyldinga
Hero of Auralion
Warrior of the White Wolf

- Druid

David Reyes
21 Nov 2014 12:24 #4 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Re:An Experiment with Fates of Fortune
Good catch on the meager supplies, I will update it to be 10 copper or 1 silver and it will be the 'new' units.

(10 silver makes 1 unit of silver, so 1 gold equals 1 unit of silver)

Thank you!

-OOG Michael Smith
24 Nov 2014 17:32 #5 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Re:An Experiment with Fates of Fortune
Updated Fortune of Meager Supply! - Thanks again Mark for the catch!

-OOG Michael Smith
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.638 seconds