Adjustment to Business Earnings

18 Feb 2015 20:18 - 20 Feb 2015 19:31 #1 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Adjustment to Business Earnings was created by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Businesses in the Land System have become very popular. Several groups have started to work together on their businesses and this has exposed a slight issue that I had not anticipated with how businesses pay back their initial investment.

So, effective this month, if more than THREE Actions are performed for a given Business there will be a change to how the random payouts are calculated.

(This has been edited from the original to reflect the new values)

1 Action = up to 100%
2 Actions = up to 200% (as in each of the actions produces normal output and they are simply added together)
3 Actions = up to 300% (as in each of the actions produces normal output and they are simply added together)
4 Actions = up to 350% (divided between the 4 actions, so each action can produce up to 87.5% of normal output, which, when added together, is 350%)
5 Actions = up to 375% (divided between the 5 actions, so each action is only at 75% output)
6 Actions = up to 387.5% (divided 6 ways = 64.583%)
and so on until
11 Actions = 400% output of a single action (divided 11 ways for 36.36%)

So the total amount that a single Business can earn in any given month will not exceed FOUR times what one person could earn alone with a single action. This means that more actions equals more money but not an infinite amount of money. After a while you just can't squeeze any more money out of a business for a given month.

If there are any questions please let me know.

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
Last edit: 20 Feb 2015 19:31 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
18 Feb 2015 21:53 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Adjustment to Business Earnings
So this means, it's better to have 5 people work 5 different businesses, than 5 people working the same business?

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • rivanyasi
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Opportunity lets you find, Skill lets you procure.
  • Thank Yous: 42
18 Feb 2015 22:48 - 18 Feb 2015 22:51 #3 by rivanyasi (rivanyasi)
Replied by rivanyasi (rivanyasi) on topic Adjustment to Business Earnings
Yeah, this kind of works out to "Build more businesses for your company" rather than "team up ever", if the math works like that. There's just no point at which the efficiency of the company is improved by having a team.

It seems to read that if you have two people working on it, then they each earn .75 what they could earn solo, totaling to 1.5, and three people total to 1.75, earning less than .6 each, etc.

If that's how it's supposed to work, then that's fine, but it does change how some of us are going to interact with the system.

Unless it's that they get 1.5 each for two, 1.75 each for three, and so on?

Na'ar Chacov, Soul of the Stars.

Ayiri Amexis, Sorceress' Apprentice.
Lupta Tamasa, Torn and Blackened.

OOG: Riva A.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2015 22:51 by rivanyasi (rivanyasi).
18 Feb 2015 23:02 #4 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic Adjustment to Business Earnings

GJSchaller wrote: So this means, it's better to have 5 people work 5 different businesses, than 5 people working the same business?

That is correct. However this also means that you have to have 5 times the start up cost.

--
18 Feb 2015 23:09 #5 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic Adjustment to Business Earnings

rivanyasi wrote: Yeah, this kind of works out to "Build more businesses for your company" rather than "team up ever", if the math works like that. There's just no point at which the efficiency of the company is improved by having a team.

It seems to read that if you have two people working on it, then they each earn .75 what they could earn solo, totaling to 1.5, and three people total to 1.75, earning less than .6 each, etc.

This is a correct reading of the new mechanism

If that's how it's supposed to work, then that's fine, but it does change how some of us are going to interact with the system.

That is probably true.

Unless it's that they get 1.5 each for two, 1.75 each for three, and so on?

It is definitely NOT getting 1.5 each for two... that would essentially make everyone want to work in 1 Business.

Before this change it was most profitable to buy a Rank 4 business and have all of your friends work it. This will no longer be the case. But perhaps this new approach is an over correction. I will think about it for a few more days and am open to talking to individuals about it. If I decide to make a change I will post an update to this thread.

--
20 Feb 2015 12:20 #6 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
After thinking on this some more I will be making a change to this. Right now I am leaning towards having the diminished returns kick in after 3 actions. So, the first 3 are at full reward. I want to run the numbers tonight first though. Stay tuned.

--
20 Feb 2015 19:31 #7 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
I have updated the top post with the new new math.

--
20 Feb 2015 22:14 #8 by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta)
Replied by Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta) on topic Adjustment to Business Earnings
Looks much nicer

Birgitta Drexel (Primary)
Commander of Training Baronial Militia
Blood Spirits (Cmd/Sgt)
Blue Dragoon

"Amateurs Practice Until They Get It Right; Professionals Practice Until They Can’t Get It Wrong"

Callisto Boyington (Alt)
Cav.

AKA Leslie McCormack
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
21 Feb 2015 11:44 #9 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Adjustment to Business Earnings
Merely my opinion, but the returns are preposterously high. I realize this is a fantasy world, but even Disney has limits.

On the same note, why don't the individual actions people take to assist the land have results up to 20% improvement? That would be the equal, in terms of time and effort. I'll stop now before I post something I will regret.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
21 Feb 2015 11:50 #10 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Yes, the returns are ridiculously high. If this were a real world economy then 4 out of 5 businesses would fail and it would take 5 years to break even. Good thing this is a fantasy world.

As for results for the actions in the individual lands, we have just recently implemented a way to give bonuses to the individual actions, so the numbers for those will likely start moving a bit more as well.

This iteration of the Land System is still being tinkered with and balanced. Expect more changes over time.

--
The following user(s) said Thank You: Birgitta Drexel (Birgitta), Gilthu (Gilthu), Faila (Faila)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.554 seconds