POLL: New Idea from the Storytellers

15 Jan 2008 08:23 #1 by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)
POLL: New Idea from the Storytellers was created by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)
A few of the STs have come up with a new idea for a weekend event.  I don't want to give too many specific details right now because those are dependant on the storyline associated with the event plot.  Also because if the idea were to take off, it could be altered for numerous future events all having different details, but keeping the same general template.  We'd like to keep as much of it as a surprise as possible. 

The basic idea is that for ONE specific event no one would be playing any of their active PCs.  Instead, for that weekend everyone who wishes to PC would be given a new already created PC template (don't worry about the level, race, class for right now).  For the entire event you'd be playing that newly created PC and have complete control over his or her actions or inaction as the case may be.  These PCs would only be played that weekend.  All build benefits, etc, would be accumulated by your regular PC. 

We would likely also invite people to play NPC's for the entire weekend, much like was done at the October Future event a couple years ago that Jeramy ran.  Those people would have static NPCs to play, in which we'd give guidance on how to play and exercise some control over, but much of the interaction would be up to the player. 

This would have a number of advantages, only one which do I want to highlight right now:

-Players would have the opportunity to try out new races and classes for an entire event, with no penalty to your regular PC(s) progression.

I realize many of you will have many questions about this.  Please understand, for many of the questions we may not want to give you the answers yet, because like I said, we want to try to keep this as much of a surprise as possible.  For those we can answer, we will. 

The reason for this poll is to see whether the player base generally supports or doesn't support a one-time event in which no one would play there regular PC(s).  We wouldn't want to do this if people didn't like the idea.  So please answer the poll.

Thanks!!!
Roy

In service to Kormyre,

Lord Alexander Renaudierre of Frostguard

~~~
Roy S.
15 Jan 2008 10:12 #2 by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)
Replied by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre) on topic POLL: New Idea from the Storytellers
We're hoping to get as many people as possible to reply, so we can have an accurate Idea.  Also, if you feel comfortable, please PM me if you choose maybe and let me know what the concerns are so we can take those into account.

Thanks!!!

In service to Kormyre,

~~~
Roy S.
  • Damien
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 145
15 Jan 2008 10:36 #3 by Damien (Damien)
Replied by Damien (Damien) on topic POLL: New Idea from the Storytellers
Even though I may be a n00b  :P  I am in full support of this event.  The one thing I look forward to with my NPC shift is the ability to creatively portray a character(s) with no consequence to my PC.  It allows for a freedom of expression in role-playing and acting.

I give this poll 2-thumbs-up  ;D

[hr]
Victor Sylus, Baron of Travance
OOG: Damien A.
  • Daedri
  • Thank Yous: 1
15 Jan 2008 11:52 #4 by Daedri (Daedri)
Replied by Daedri (Daedri) on topic POLL: New Idea from the Storytellers
Non-combat RP based events are always my preference.

I think that this type of event style may give the writers liberty to create a high level of tension and drama, withouthaving to bring in "total world destruction" level bad guys.

For instance, having us all play a group of pitchfork weilding farmers with little or no concept of magic and things like that. We could create situations where combat in any degree would almost be suicide for the townsfolk and other means must be used to survive untill help arrives or we figure out a way to defend ourselves.

Another scenario I see is simply having a "PvP" weekend in which were all members of a community in turmoil, perhaps this side of town doesnt like that side of town because group of ranchers X let their cattle onto Farmer Y feilds. Dealing with the psuedo political everyday drama that a medieval town might be faced with.

Lets see what happens.

Daedri Elensar
Shipwright to the People

Craig Odell
  • Noctra
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • "Valar Morghulis"
  • Thank Yous: 0
15 Jan 2008 12:08 #5 by Noctra (Noctra)
Replied by Noctra (Noctra) on topic POLL: New Idea from the Storytellers

We're hoping to get as many people as possible to reply, so we can have an accurate Idea.  Also, if you feel comfortable, please PM me if you choose maybe and let me know what the concerns are so we can take those into account.

Thanks!!!

SUR

Really though,
Wouldn't you also like to know the reasons why some people might say "No"?

Sister Celestine Tellinghast
Paladin of the White Fox
The Order of the Brilliant Hammer

...and they shall know no fear
15 Jan 2008 12:34 #6 by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)
Replied by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre) on topic POLL: New Idea from the Storytellers
Actually, yes.  I made that post after some people had already said maybe.  But yes, the logic of why I wanted to know applies to "No" answers as well.

So please, if you're comfortable, let me know the No's too. 

I'm not interested in trying to convince anyone, thats not why I want the PMs.  However, if you phrase it like a question I may respond if able.

In service to Kormyre,

~~~
Roy S.
15 Jan 2008 13:33 #7 by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)
Since this has been a common comment in the PMs:

Yes, you would have control over the race/class you'd be playing as a PC.  Thats why i said don't worry about the race/class/level.  Yes, you should have the ability to custimize the PC.  To what degree, I don't know. 

In service to Kormyre,

~~~
Roy S.
15 Jan 2008 13:44 #8 by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)
Thanks for the PMs so far, keep them coming!

In service to Kormyre,

~~~
Roy S.
15 Jan 2008 19:04 #9 by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)
One more common thought:

Yes costuming is certainly a concern.  A few thoughts we've had are: most costuming is not very character specific. Things like my tabard certainly are, but overall most pieces aren't.  If even one or two pieces are changed, this is often enough to make a character look different.  But even in a worse case scenario, since no one will be playing their regular character, even if you had to use most/all of your current costuming, it wouldn't be recognizable to anyone else IG and I think people would give a lot of leeway on envisioning it as someone different.  Afterall, we also pretend to see fireballs. 

In service to Kormyre,

~~~
Roy S.
15 Jan 2008 19:56 #10 by T. Grumblegut (Yngwie)
Replied by T. Grumblegut (Yngwie) on topic POLL: New Idea from the Storytellers
For costuming, people could switch around costume pieces with their friends if they only have one costume or whatever.

But my main question is, would we be able to learn a skill as per another event that we can't actually learn skills at? IE- The one skill we get at the banquet or the ball this past year.

Regardless, I'm all for the idea.

Alex T.
Rules Marshal
15 Jan 2008 20:01 #11 by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)

But my main question is, would we be able to learn a skill as per another event that we can't actually learn skills at? IE- The one skill we get at the banquet or the ball this past year.

I don't know.  We haven't flushed out all the details yet because we wanted to see how the player base felt.  I would imagine probably though.

In service to Kormyre,

~~~
Roy S.
  • Daedri
15 Jan 2008 20:14 #12 by Daedri (Daedri)
Replied by Daedri (Daedri) on topic POLL: New Idea from the Storytellers
Perhaps my examples werent the best about possible scenarios, of course I have nothing to do with this so Im sure they will think of something more thrilling than the "Disgruntled Peasents" weekend.

However. Sometimes in a place where we always face off against the otherworldly and fantastic. I always kinda hope  while im walking to or from my cabin some 'kid' asks me to help find his or her stray dog.

Daedri Elensar
Shipwright to the People

Craig Odell
  • ziggy
16 Jan 2008 00:47 #13 by ziggy (ziggy)
Replied by ziggy (ziggy) on topic POLL: New Idea from the Storytellers
This sounds like a great idea.

Can you do it in the summer so I can actually go?

IG: Siegfried Sanierum
OOG: Tom Helbig
  • brik
  • whatever
  • Thank Yous: 14
16 Jan 2008 06:57 #14 by brik (sonya)
Replied by brik (sonya) on topic POLL: New Idea from the Storytellers
if you actually like the character and decide you want to keep it, can you put the build toward that instead of your old one?

oog - sonya m.
16 Jan 2008 07:28 #15 by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)

if you actually like the character and decide you want to keep it, can you put the build toward that instead of your old one?

Well the idea is that its a one-time event.  That character would only be played at that one event. 

In service to Kormyre,

~~~
Roy S.
16 Jan 2008 11:13 #16 by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF)
Replied by Jurgur'mosh Goretusk (MattF) on topic POLL: New Idea from the Storytellers
I would be glad to help.

Jurgur'mosh GoreTusk
free orc
(OOG-Matt F)
  • Pappy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • First in, Last out
  • Thank Yous: 103
31 Jan 2008 22:50 #17 by Pappy (Quan)
Replied by Pappy (Quan) on topic POLL: New Idea from the Storytellers
Count on me, I'm in... ;D