Costume Help

29 Nov 2008 18:26 #1 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Costume Help was created by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
So, for Christmas my dad asked me what I wanted and really, I want a decent costume for Knight Realms. I've been looking around and in all honestly everything's just crazy expensive.

So, I'm requesting to commission someone who will help me make a real costume. Price is certainly negotiable and time, I don't need it anytime soon ^^' Just send a PM or leave a message here.

As for what I want... well, I'll be honest I'm not too sure, as long as I can run in it without it getting all in the way, I'm fine. I'm sure with your help I can figure out something nice ^^

Thanks!

Marcella

OOG:
Marcella Torres
Land System Deputy
New Player Marshal
  • Tom
  • Thank Yous: 15
30 Nov 2008 17:19 #2 by Tom (Tomatsu)
Replied by Tom (Tomatsu) on topic Costume Help
The only decent website ive seen that is decent in costuming and easy on the wallet is garb the world.com, but if you dont find something in that website, good luck on finding something really good but easy on your money.
-
Tom P.-oog

Oog-Tom Polanski
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
30 Nov 2008 17:47 #3 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Costume Help
I dont know if you've gotten PMs, but if not, it could be because your proposal is rather intimidating - no seamstress I've ever met has liked the idea of working with no guidelines, cause you just dont know how much to spend, if the person will be happy, etc.  I'd suggest looking around for any photos (either of costuming or of characters in movies who's style you like) and then trying to find someone who can make you something like that.  Different people have different talents, so depending on what kind of style you want different people will prolly respond. 

If you want something made from scratch for cheap, you definitely need to do some research first - then I'm sure finding someone to help you out will be easy.

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • Lina Marinescu
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Only the curious have something to find
  • Thank Yous: 78
30 Nov 2008 17:51 #4 by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi)
Replied by Lina Marinescu (Ismaesumi) on topic Costume Help
It helps too if you do the fabric shopping ahead of time. Wal-mart is a great place to get cheap fabric, as is Jo ann fabric if you catch them on sale.

Also, I know that having your measurements on hand would help too, you don't have to post them publicly, but if you let people know that you have your bust/waist/hip size at the very least, they may be more inclined to  help you.

Check out the patterns at Walmart and Joann's too! I've seen plenty of halloween patterns that would look great if the time is taken to just tweek them a bit

IG- Lina Marinescu
OOG- Katie M.- Lead Monster Marshal

The stalwart soul has the will to live and is eager for the race ~Taylor Caldwell

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Seamstress
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Sew much fabric, sew little time
  • Thank Yous: 1
30 Nov 2008 19:09 #5 by Seamstress (Seamstress)
Replied by Seamstress (Seamstress) on topic Costume Help
Fools rush in... look for my PM Marcella.

OOG ~ Tina S ~ aka Seamstress
Primary Location 42°42' N, 75°11' W
Preferred Location 18°22'N, 78°14'W
30 Nov 2008 23:00 #6 by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood)
Replied by Ilana Darkwood (Ilana_Darkwood) on topic Costume Help
Blah, I should have been a bit more exact that I had things already prepared. I was just more looking for someone able to help and it was silly not to mention I did have actual information. My apologies ^^; But I got help it seems so I thank you for the advice and the consideration ^^

Though one thing that I'll be looking for I know cannot be made by them is a bodice. So, if there's any takers on that, send a PM please. I do have my measurements but not sure what the best fabric for something like this would be.

www.twinrosesdesigns.com/hunter_green_le...l_laced_bodice_2.jpg

something in that sort of design, if that helps....

Thanks again

OOG:
Marcella Torres
Land System Deputy
New Player Marshal
30 Nov 2008 23:09 #7 by Mother Rosa (Kate)
Replied by Mother Rosa (Kate) on topic Costume Help
The link doesn't work for me, but if you can send me a picture I can probably help you with a bodice. I'll have a look at least. :)

Mother Rosa
Priestess of Gaia

"That which yields is not always weak."

((oog: Kate L))
01 Jan 2009 20:47 #8 by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad)
Replied by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad) on topic Costume Help
Very best and most economical places to look for costuming are your local GoodWill and Salvation Army or Thrift type stores.  Keep going back and once in a while you find a treasure, just like finding a winning lottery ticket.  My wife and I go "Foraging "at least once or twice a month during game season at KANARAK in Indiana. We have helped many noobies get costumed out for small dollars.  Also found many very good sleeping bags for $8 -10 each, just be picky

Find many different types of offerings: peasant, Royalty, Bedu , boots, moccasins. Pewter mugs, and dishes

We hold in our hands the harvest of what we have sown in Hope. Do we sow for Good? or for Evil?

Ded Dawg O'Doul

OOG = Dave Sullivan Sr; Indiana

Kanarak=VC999 Institutional Head
PC = Ded Dawg O'Doul. Inn Keeper
NPC = Huh! The Dumbest of the Ale Belly Ogres
  • Ben Theis
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Calm in mind, gentle in heart, illuminate the spirit
  • Thank Yous: 29
07 Jan 2009 12:30 #9 by Ben Theis (Tirsen Crestingstar)
Replied by Ben Theis (Tirsen Crestingstar) on topic Costume Help
I have been a big advocate of ebay for finding inexpensive LARP costuming.  Some of my best costumes have come from there and you can generaly get some very nice stuff and stay under $100.00.  Just search for LARP or SCA and tons of stuff will come up.

Tirsen Crestingstar

Ben.T.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.494 seconds