Question on Boffer Javelins (and other throwing weapons)

• Gentleman Jas
  • Wine, Women, and Song.
  • Thank Yous: 0
10 Jan 2009 17:29 #1 by Gentleman Jas (Gentleman Jas)
Question on Boffer Javelins (and other throwing weapons) was created by Gentleman Jas (Gentleman Jas)
I was wondering if anyone had any tips, or links to websites that could show me how to make throwing axes, daggers, and Javelins. much thanks in advance.

"Any thug can stab and grab, but a perfect scoundrel has panache, you must do it with a wink and a smile."
IG: Gentleman Jas
OOG: Kevin Maphis
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
11 Jan 2009 23:43 #2 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Question on Boffer Javelins (and other throwing weapons)
Edhellen Armoury ( www.edhellen.com ) sells a boffer javelin that passed KRs scrutiny.  We have one somewhere.  You could call them (the number is on the website) and ask for Mike.  He probably will tell you

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
12 Jan 2009 22:17 #3 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Question on Boffer Javelins (and other throwing weapons)
Test post, please split this post off into Marketplace or Rules, where it's more appropriate...

I know Geoff had some last event.  His were modified arrows from Iron Liege www.ironliege.com

Also, while what Charles said is true... the old axiom of "There's no garauntee it will pass inspection" should be stated.  The on-site person makes the call if the weapon passes inspection.

KR's rules when it comes to weapon smithing.   I don't know how they go for throwing weapons, since I've read that throwing weapons cannot have cores.  Again, this is a rules marshal thing.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
12 Jan 2009 22:41 #4 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Question on Boffer Javelins (and other throwing weapons)
Thank you, Paul, that was a good test.  (I was able to split, re-merge, and move the topic).

As for the Javelins, there's the various commercial options, which aren't too expensive.  If you're looking for a less expensive way, the way we did 30+ javelins in a few hours for the April Anniversary event was simple (and cheap) enough:

1 pack of Frost King brand pipe insulation, 5/8" Thickness, for 1/2" copper / 3/8" iron pipes - 3' long, 4 to a pack, the stuff you use to make normal boffers with (Closed Cell Foam).
1 pack of Frost King AC Weather Seal, 1.25" x 1.25" x 3' - good for Thrusting Tips and Javelin Heads (Open Cell Foam).  One pack gets you 12 tips at 3" each.
3M Duct Tape, in the color of  your choice.  We used brown & black, with silver for the tips.

All of the above is available at Home Depot, assuming they're not sold out due to the weather.

Simply put a 3" length of the AC Insulation on the end of one tube of Pipe insulation, and cover the whole thing in Duct Tape.  It's light, coreless, rigid enough to be thrown, but soft enough to be safe.  You need to put a bit of a spin on them (like a football) to get any accuracy, but that's a great way to pump them out for a minimum of cash.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
12 Jan 2009 23:53 #5 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
Replied by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix) on topic Question on Boffer Javelins (and other throwing weapons)
I find that I often have to order my pipe foam, as my local hardware stores usually don't carry it in the thickness that I need.  If that's true for you, Kevin, you can order it at this website:

doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageId=64&SKU=436193

-Alexandre Blythewood

OOG: Zach Theis
  • Gentleman Jas
  • Wine, Women, and Song.
  • Thank Yous: 0
13 Jan 2009 12:20 #6 by Gentleman Jas (Gentleman Jas)
Replied by Gentleman Jas (Gentleman Jas) on topic Question on Boffer Javelins (and other throwing weapons)
thanks everyone, and sorry bout the whole wrong forum thing, just didn't know where it would belong lol.

"Any thug can stab and grab, but a perfect scoundrel has panache, you must do it with a wink and a smile."
IG: Gentleman Jas
OOG: Kevin Maphis
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
13 Jan 2009 12:40 #7 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Question on Boffer Javelins (and other throwing weapons)
Its fine.  We moved it as part of the forum functionality test.  Where it was before was fine.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.511 seconds