latex or not

• Elade
  • Thank Yous: 0
19 Oct 2008 20:26 #1 by Elade (Elade)
latex or not was created by Elade (Elade)
So being that ive larped before ive been hit by  a weapon or two and sone werent as pleasant as others but ive never seen any of these latex boffer big defference or no cause i can clearly see they are deff alot nicer than i can make with any pvc pipe,foam and ducktape

Mike
  • Jarons20
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 1
19 Oct 2008 23:21 #2 by Jarons20 (Jarons20)
Replied by Jarons20 (Jarons20) on topic latex or not
I prefer my self made staff and have gotten a few compliments on its wield-ability, I have to repaint it occasionally but It is holding up nice
I have yet to make a nice sword but have a great, thick pair of axes almost completely made of foam
Looking at a latex dagger for $50 but I would hate to actually use it or damage it because of the beauty
-Jay

OOG - Jason Arons
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
19 Oct 2008 23:41 #3 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic latex or not
I adore latex weaponry, and really have to be coerced to use anything else at this point.  As long a person does their research for a company that makes quality stock, they can last for years even in heavy combat.  My bone swords are almost 4 years old now, and for 2 years I was using them heavily in two different LARPs a month.  They are still holding up great, save for a lil peeling here and there.  Boffers require constant upkeep, and I've found are far more prone to breaking.  As long as you don't leave your latex out in the sun or constant rain, and don't mistreat it, it will last for a long while. 

My personal choice is Eldritch, but it is an England-based company and thus can be costly.  I find the cost was worth it, considering the money that gets thrown away on far less quality items.  In the last couple years a few more local places with quality materials have been popping up, whose names I'm sure others will quickly volunteer.  Avoid Rampant Mouse or Excalibur style weapons, because while these may be less expensive, they do not have much detail and break faster than most boffers.

Hope that helps.

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
19 Oct 2008 23:42 #4 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic latex or not
I am not sure of what you are asking exactly.  Are you asking if we allow latex weapons or are latex weapons preferred?  Or are you asking if there are any latex weapons out there that look good and don't hurt when struck with?

I believe KR has a policy about latex weapons and the users, but I will wait for a Staff member to comment on that.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
19 Oct 2008 23:51 #5 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic latex or not
The only policy is the same that applies to pretty much any weaponry.

If someone is found to be misusing their latex weapon priveliges, ie reports of hitting so hard people are hurt, fighting recklessly, etc, those priveliges can be taken away. 

If someone is found doing the same thing consistantly with normal boffers (usually accrusing multiple rules violations to that respect), their overall weapon's priveliges can be suspended. 

It is true that you have to be a little more careful with how you use a latex weapon - if not, they can strike harder and leave a sting.  But latex weapons are incredibly common at KR and this has not been any kind of overarching problem.  If someone ever finds someone is really hitting horribly hard, please see a rules marshal immediately and they will look into the situation.  We really do endeavor to make this as safe a game as possible.

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.503 seconds