Recovering Mystic Realms player seeks answers...

11 Nov 2008 22:07 #1 by Zatatmando (Zatatmando)
Recovering Mystic Realms player seeks answers... was created by Zatatmando (Zatatmando)
Hello. I am thinking of coming to KnightRealms in January or February, with a few friends of mine who are also former MR players, and I had a few questions about costume, weapons, etc.  I am thinking of playing a Sylvan elf ranger, and I am wondering if wearing a Ghillie suit would be too modern to wear for costuming.  I will make it of more or less period items (twine, fabric), and wear it over garb and chainmail.  I also want to make sure the bow that I plan to buy is legal.  I plan to buy a 50" Sentry - a 20# bow with a 28" max pull.  I know that the site calls for the max pull to be 26" (which is the size arrow I will have to use regardless because my arms aren't long enough to use 28").  I will be buying the same bow for 2 other people as well, so I'd like to make sure I'm right before I buy all 3.  I think that's all I need to know for now. Thanks.

--Lee G.

–Lee Gelwicks
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
11 Nov 2008 22:14 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Recovering Mystic Realms player seeks answers...
Hi, Lee!

We can't guarantee that any weapon or armor will be approved before we see it in person, but 20# at 28" SHOULD be fine.  Since it's not 20# at 26" (and therefor more when you draw it to 28"), it will still be in safety specs.  Just make sure you get it tested on-site.

An outright Ghille Suit (I had to google that one up!) would probably be a bit too modern, although a cloak with debris sew onto it would do well.  Keep in mind that as a Ranger, you'll get skills that let you hide IG and avoid being detected, which will help.  ;)

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
11 Nov 2008 23:51 #3 by Zatatmando (Zatatmando)
Replied by Zatatmando (Zatatmando) on topic Recovering Mystic Realms player seeks answers...
Thanks.  I do plan to take Cloak of the green, but I thought it might help to not need to use it most of the time.  I'm sure i could fudge it using a cloak, however.  One more question, can I carry a boffer bow for packet archery for closer combat, and only use the 20# bow for longer range?  I am not planning on taking a weapon for the first event, but if someone gets up close i wanted to know if i had the option to swap (2 damage is better than none).
Thanks.

–Lee Gelwicks
  • JoDios
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • That guy with the muffin hat.
  • Thank Yous: 0
12 Nov 2008 07:55 #4 by JoDios (JoDios)
Replied by JoDios (JoDios) on topic Recovering Mystic Realms player seeks answers...
Actually, packet archery was just removed from the game.

OOG: Jo
  • LStarling
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Cursed Healer
  • Thank Yous: 20
12 Nov 2008 14:27 #5 by LStarling (Kwildar)
Replied by LStarling (Kwildar) on topic Recovering Mystic Realms player seeks answers...
Instead, if someone is charging you, with your bow ready, we do have the point blank rule.  I'll leave it to one of our fine Rules Marshals to explain it better than I can, though. :)

--
Lawrence Starling -- IG
"Really, bee! I don't smell flower-y!"
Malcolm Mallardi -- OOG
  • Fogrom
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 70
12 Nov 2008 17:33 #6 by Fogrom (Fogrom)
Replied by Fogrom (Fogrom) on topic Recovering Mystic Realms player seeks answers...
I think it's written pretty clearly, somewhere in the rulebook...

The most important thing to note is that the point blank rule is only useful if an opponent is rushing at you. You can't maneuver yourself that close and invoke it, and you can't call it on someone that comes within that distance but is attacking someone else. It's purely a defensive rule.

And yes, packet archery officially died about thirty minutes before your post, I think. Like, it was really close. So close I laughed. Sorry about that...  :)

Matt White
  • Jarons20
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 1
12 Nov 2008 17:59 #7 by Jarons20 (Jarons20)
Replied by Jarons20 (Jarons20) on topic Recovering Mystic Realms player seeks answers...
But wouldn't a Ghille suit make for an awesome monster... :)

OOG - Jason Arons
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
12 Nov 2008 18:29 #8 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Recovering Mystic Realms player seeks answers...
But Matt cried when Psions dodged the bullet.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
12 Nov 2008 20:03 #9 by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre)
Replied by Lord Renaudierre (Sir Renaudierre) on topic Recovering Mystic Realms player seeks answers...

But Matt cried when Psions dodged the bullet.

No, that was me...

Welcome, let us know if you have more questions. 

In service to Kormyre,

Lord Alexander Renaudierre of Frostguard

~~~
Roy S.
12 Nov 2008 21:58 #10 by Zatatmando (Zatatmando)
Replied by Zatatmando (Zatatmando) on topic Recovering Mystic Realms player seeks answers...
I was aware of the point-blank rule, I read it in said rulebook. There is a similar rule in SCA, which makes sense.  I'll just have to wait on getting traps and buy 1HE/B.  Thanks for the information, but please don't assume that I didn't read the rulebook before asking these questions. 

–Lee Gelwicks
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
12 Nov 2008 22:23 #11 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Recovering Mystic Realms player seeks answers...
Lee,

Thank you.  You're a rare gem - we tend to get a lot of players who ask first and read it only after playing 3 or 4 games.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Edward Walker
  • Let me cut to the point to get to the heart of the issue.
  • Thank Yous: 15
13 Nov 2008 22:24 #12 by Edward Walker (Liam)
Replied by Edward Walker (Liam) on topic Recovering Mystic Realms player seeks answers...
Since the information is so ready for larpers that come from somewhere else, we'll most likely read up as much as we can before we show up so we know what we're doing.

There are a few of us from MR who are at KR as well.  It'll be nice to see you at an event some time.

Doctor Edward D. Walker

OOG:
Liam Neary
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
14 Nov 2008 07:28 #13 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Recovering Mystic Realms player seeks answers...
<<But wouldn't a Ghille suit make for an awesome monster... >>

Sort of like a ghille monster?

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.594 seconds