Hi!

• Hildogen
  • Thank Yous: 0
23 Nov 2008 19:13 #1 by Hildogen (Hildogen)
Hi! was created by Hildogen (Hildogen)
Hey all, I pretty much almost just got back from the VG Expo in Philly where I came across your booth and learned about your realm.  While there I had the please of speaking with four of yous players.  (If the names on the cards are the right people I would like to thank Gibs, Emily A, Kate L, and Jackie for answering my constant stream of questions.  You guys were awesome!)  Anyway, I have been interested in LARP for a while and a couple of my friends are as well so when I learned about you guys I was super excited.  Now the thing is, as much as I want to try the game I don't know if I will ever have the chance, but even still there is alot more I would like to know about your game.  The main thing concerns creating decent costumes/weapons on with a pretty small budget.  While at the expo the reps. at the booth told me that some of the players would be glad to help/lend me stuff but if possible I would like to keep that to a minimum.  I'm sure I will have more questions in the future if you guys are willing to answer them.  As I said, I'm not sure if I will ever actually have a chance to come out and play, so if that means you don't really want to respond I totally understand.

Thanks for your time, especially to those at the expo,
~Tom~ (Or Hild =D)

Tom Cassera
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
23 Nov 2008 19:47 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Hi!
Hello!

We try and document as much about the game as we can on the Website, so you should be able to learn a lot about the game itself by going to the Main Site link and poking about.  The Online Rulebook has all the nitty-gritty system details, while the rest is world setting, etc.

Costuming IS possible on a budget.  eBay is a good choice, as are consignment shops and the like - if looking online, do a search on "SCA" (another medieval recreation group that is nation-wide, but historically based instead of fantasy), and you may be able to find things for less than other online catalogs.  Weapons are also not too hard - a boffer sword can be $20, where the fancy Latex ones you saw were usually $80+.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
23 Nov 2008 21:36 #3 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Hi!
Additionally, for garb there are a number of people at the game who sew and are reasonably priced.  Latex weapons can be gotten  inexpensively, if plain and functional rather than fancy works.  You could NPC the first time out, and clothing would be provided from the NPC stores.  Additionally, basic gray or black sweats work, so long as logos are not present. 

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
24 Nov 2008 10:47 #4 by Birnum Pyre (Birnum Pyre)
Replied by Birnum Pyre (Birnum Pyre) on topic Hi!
Hey there Tom,

If you are looking for a list of sites to buy from, you could start with the suggestions in our links section. Also you could have a look through the threads in our Market Place forum. While that is mostly people making specific inquiries to buy, there are some good links and suggestions that can be found in there if you dig around a bit.

And as far as getting out to an event, keep an eye out once we get the dates for 2009 posted. We will often have events announced months in advance to help people set their schedules and still be able to come out and join us.

Hope this helps,

OOG:
Brendan O'Hara
24 Nov 2008 12:33 #5 by Mother Rosa (Kate)
Replied by Mother Rosa (Kate) on topic Hi!
Hey! Glad you could check out the website. I hope we will see you out to a game soon!  :D

Mother Rosa
Priestess of Gaia

"That which yields is not always weak."

((oog: Kate L))
24 Nov 2008 17:08 #6 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic Hi!
Depending on what you want to play, your costuming needs can vary greatly.  If you are creative you can put together something relatively cheaply.

I've found this site www.garbtheworld.com/   to have lots of inexpensive items if you don't want anything fancy.  (A pair of drawstring pants for $25, and the undershirt design in a different color/fabric for $35 and maybe a $30 vest or $20 tabard if you want to look fancier.)  They are also generous to people my size, so I have a soft spot for them.

Some people build their costumes slowly, and if the $60 investment is much for you right now, look to thrift stores for some non-modern looking shirts, a pair of loose pants that don't look too moden, and throw a tunic over your head.  No one will notice too much if you are covered down past your waist with something that looks period.  Then slowly, as you have the chance, add to your wardrobe. 

-OOG Michael Smith
  • Evadne
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Im a Druid
  • Thank Yous: 1
24 Nov 2008 23:06 #7 by Evadne (Evadne)
Replied by Evadne (Evadne) on topic Hi!
Good luck finding costuming, as they said ebay is a great place to look at. Hope you can make it to an event!!

Jackie GIBS
Safety Deputy
RP Marshal
Monster Marshal
Rules Marshal
  • Quin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Captain Cupcake
  • Thank Yous: 15
25 Nov 2008 09:14 #8 by Quin (Quin)
Replied by Quin (Quin) on topic Hi!
Can't wait to see you there!  :D

Quin K.
It isn't enough to talk about peace, one must believe it.
    And it isn't enough to believe in it, one must work for it.

Emily (MM/RPM)
  • Hildogen
  • Thank Yous: 0
25 Nov 2008 19:56 #9 by Hildogen (Hildogen)
Replied by Hildogen (Hildogen) on topic Hi!
Thanks for all of the help guys!  I will definitely look further into the costume costs and such....I'm already obsessing over learning your rule sets >_<.  I'm just hoping that I eventually have the time to come out and and play and still live in the area.  You guys have NO idea how long I have wanted to do this and I am sincerely impressed by the set-up of your game.  I'm sure I will have more question in the future but as of now I am all set.  Thanks again for all of your help, I'm glad I was able to encounter such an awesome group of people.  Hopefully one day I can work myself up enough to actually meet all of you!

Best regards,
~Tom~  ;D

Tom Cassera
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.497 seconds