New Players - READ ME BEFORE POSTING!

• GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
16 Jul 2009 22:17 - 07 May 2014 14:34 #1 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
New Players - READ ME BEFORE POSTING! was created by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Greetings, and welcome to the Knight Realms Forums!

A few quick rules & notes for all players, especially new folk:

Signatures:
The most important rule of the forums: Please sign your posts!  All posts must be signed with your OOG (Real Life) name - at least your first name.  Knight Realms is a friendly and personable community, and we would like to know who we are talking to - it's a matter of courtesy and respect to say who you are to everyone else.  (We understand if you do not want to post your full last name for security reasons, an initial - i.e.: "Joe S." - is fine.)

Please add your Real (OOG) name to your Signature under your Profile (above) so that it is added to all posts automatically.

Icons / Avatars:
If you do not have an icon, or have one and would like a new one, please send the webmaster an email or PM, and he will make you one. If you are proficient with computer graphics, you are welcome to make your own and mail it in, and it will be added to the library (assuming it meets the standards for the site). An Icon should be 200 x 200 in size, and should be a recognizable shot of your head or face, preferably in costume. The idea is that we should know who is posting, so that everyone in the community knows everyone else.

Because of problems in the past with allowing people to upload their own Icons, players can only choose their icons from a library that is set up by the webmaster. Go to the "Your Account" link on the top left of this site, and you will be able to choose your own Icon.  To be clear: You may only choose an Avatar that is a picture of you.  You may not use a picture of someone else as your Avatar!

Why don't I have an Avatar / Citizen's Galley photo yet?
In the past, the webmaster would try to update these and keep them current without input from the player base.  He quickly found that a very large number of people got upset when he made a change or uploaded a photo of them without their input first.  People also got upset when he made a change to someone else's photo!  (Specifically, moving people into and out of the Deceased section of the Citizen's Gallery... everyone seems to know best who is dead and who isn't.  :P )

As a result, the webmaster will only make an Avatar or Citizen's Gallery entry for someone if they request it.  A casual mention is all that is needed, and sometimes it may take him a day or two to get to it, but he has no problems making you look good.  All he asks is that you do not abuse this and ask for a new photo / Avatar every month!

Rules Questions:
Please do not answer questions about the rules of the game, unless you are a Rules Marshal.  We ask this because many times, what someone thinks the rule is (or should be) is not correct, and it creates a conflict when the actual rule comes up in game play.  Also, specific people are selected as Rules Marshals because of their knowledge of the rules system, and they should be recognized as such.  If someone is who is not a Marshal answers, they may be confusing newer players to think they are a Marshal when they are not.  Posting "I am not a Marshal" is not an excuse to post anyway.

If you have a valid suggestion, or a followup question to a posted question, please feel free to share it.  Opinions without constructive feedback should be avoided.

Sigils:
Certain characters in the game hold positions of nobility or office that grant them permission to add a seal or "Sigil" to their writings.  If you hold one of these offices, please click on the " Sigils & Seals " link on the main weebsite to find out how to add one to your forums signature.

Email Addresses:
It is safe to enter your email address for all to see on this site, if you want to let people email you.  The system is Spam-Proof, and hides your email address internally so a 'bot can't harvest it.  The "email" icon you see on people's profiles and posts is a link that will send them an email, but they can ONLY see it if they are signed in.  Note that if they are, they can see your address.  The Forums do NOT "mask" your address like some forums do (This may change if the webmaster can find a mod that will let him do that).  There is also an option to hide your email address from the public in the Profile section, which will hide it from everyone (including normal KR players) except the Forum Admins.

Discussing other LARPs:
It is Forum Policy not to discuss other LARPs in comparison to Knight Realms on the KR Forums.  While simple statements such as "I've played LARP "X", is this similar?" or "I know Fred from my days at LARP "X" a few years back" are fine, we want to avoid comments like "Game "X" sucks, they're lame" or "Dood, we can so out play the guys from Game "X"."  Comparisons to other games usually wind up in hurt feelings and flame wars, and Knight Realms has no desire to create any bad feelings between games.

Real-Life Politics:
It is the wish of James Kimball, the director of the game, that Real-Life politics not be discussed on the forums.  Because of the flame wars that generally erupt when the topic comes up, the Director & Staff reserve the right to delete any posts and lock threads that head down this path.

[hr]

Also, please take the time to search the website before you ask questions.  We made a great effort to put as much information as we can on the site, where it is easy to find and even can be searched using the "Site Search" box to the left.  90% of your questions will be answered already on the site, either in the Online Rulebook, or under the New Players! heading on the menu to the left.  If you looked, and cannot find it, please feel free to ask here.

Thank you!

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
Last edit: 07 May 2014 14:34 by GFulls (GFulls).
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
01 Aug 2010 10:52 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic New Players - READ ME BEFORE POSTING!
As a note for new players:

Please, please, please do NOT post your character backgrounds on the forums!

You're welcome to ask questions about the game world (i.e. - "Can my character come from Amon'Kas?"), but please don't post the whole history!  The reason for this is that the history should be found out about In-Game, not Out-Of-Game on the forums.

Thank you!

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Niistyre (Luedyienya), Leera (Lovegood66)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.430 seconds