A New Player And His Friends

01 Jul 2010 17:57 #1 by Mark McKeever (SethoMarkus)
A New Player And His Friends was created by Mark McKeever (SethoMarkus)
Greetings to all Knight Realms players! I have been interested in joining the KR community or similar game for some time now and hope that this fall I will finally have the chance to. Even better, the group of friends whom I play table-top RPGs with at college are all interested and eager to delve into LARPing as well! In preparation for this new adventure, we all have questions and are reading the online rulebook and other resources on this site, etc etc.

My biggest concern is that I feel I would like to NPC for the entirety of my first event to better get a feel for the game and system, and I was wondering if there are any useful tips or advice for such an endeavor. What should I bring in terms of costuming and clothing? Should I bring my own boffer weapons, or should I use boffers on-site for my first game? If we come as a group, how difficult is it for all of us to gather and stick together IG if we come from different IG backgrounds? I know many of these questions are opinion based or generic RPG issues, but from my experience every game runs a little different from any other.

Thank you everyone for your help! I look forward to meeting many new friends and allies here on the forum and IG at events!

~~~Mark M.~~~
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
01 Jul 2010 18:28 #2 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic A New Player And His Friends
Hi Mark.  I hope a lot of your questions can be answered here.   Nice to meet you.

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
01 Jul 2010 19:35 #3 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic A New Player And His Friends
That being read, if you have different backgrounds IG (such as disparate geographic origins, inherently antagonistic ethnic backgrounds, and the like, it would be a really big RP stretch to be a tight band.  The fact that some may be OOG romantically involved is absolutely no reason to be so IG. 

You will find yourselves forming coteries with other players because of trades, profession, IG teachers, and other interests.  Eventually, you might find yourselves coalescing due to IG considerations, but such might take time,especially with a largish group.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
01 Jul 2010 21:09 #4 by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad)
Replied by Ded Dawg O'Doul (Mohammad) on topic A New Player And His Friends
Mark

I would give serious consideration to NPC'ing for the first couple of events until you get to understand the "Lay of the Land" so to speak

I have played here three times since last Sept and plan on playing again in Sept/Oct Still very much to learn  Partly because you have to UnLearn Other Game rules from elsewhere. Mixing games can cause confusion

There is very much to learn both Rules wise as well as IG Politics. Be patient and Watch /Listen/Learn

We hold in our hands the harvest of what we have sown in Hope. Do we sow for Good? or for Evil?

Ded Dawg O'Doul

OOG = Dave Sullivan Sr; Indiana

Kanarak=VC999 Institutional Head
PC = Ded Dawg O'Doul. Inn Keeper
NPC = Huh! The Dumbest of the Ale Belly Ogres
01 Jul 2010 21:14 #5 by Mark McKeever (SethoMarkus)
Replied by Mark McKeever (SethoMarkus) on topic A New Player And His Friends
Thank you both for the input! I was afraid that it might be difficult to form a well acquainted group IG, but it didn't hurt to double check. We'll just have to find reasons IG to know each other or deal with playing separately until a time comes that we would meet IG. As for my other concerns I was looking more for the opinions of veteran players from past experiences. I read through most of the New Player's Guide but it still left things fairly vague. Is it better to bring a boffer weapon I made myself or use ones that are available on-site? It would be easier not to bring any boffers with me if I'm just NPCing and there are boffers available through logistics, but I'm more familiar with ones made myself. Rereading the Player's Guide helped me answer some things I missed, but I'd still like to know what it is like from the players' experience.

Again, thank you everyone! I can already tell that my friends and I will be joining more than just a roleplay community, but a family.

~~~Mark M.~~~
  • Chukklez
  • Flavorless text
  • Thank Yous: 13
01 Jul 2010 21:20 #6 by Chukklez (Chukklez)
Replied by Chukklez (Chukklez) on topic A New Player And His Friends
NPCs have costuming and weapons for them, but remember to wear black(and considering it's summer thin cloth).  When you come in as a PC you will need to provide your own weapons and costuming, this is why it's best to start as an npc(in the opinion of a guy who did it for 2 years before making a character).  Just remember that you will be sleeping, showering is recommended, and since npcs die constantly you might want a clean change of clothes, and there are bugs in the woods.  Other than preparing for the obvious, just remember to listen to what people say and never be afraid to ask someone if something isn't clear(I don't think I've gone an event without someone asking the exact effect of berserker rage).
Ohhh and welcome! (grasps his hands menacingly...fresh meat)

"Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
IG Gregory, Jon
OOG Charles Davie
Rules Marshal
  • Gallion
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 2677
02 Jul 2010 09:30 #7 by Gallion (Gallion)
Replied by Gallion (Gallion) on topic A New Player And His Friends
You should be able to start off already knowing each other and being friends. The only cases in which this would be a stretch, is if half of your friends play barbarians, and the other half mages. That would a little odd, but not impossible with a well developed story. There are plenty of combinations of classes, and races that it would not be awkward for you already to be an established group of adventures.

If you do decide to full time NPC first, just keep in mind it is almost a totally different experience than PCing.  Some like it allot, some not so much, but in general its a different experience. Another option would be to PC, but to NPC the first shift.

Welcome!

- James C. Kimball Director, Knight Realms
  • Ninjin Khun
  • Death by Cookie!~
  • Thank Yous: 0
02 Jul 2010 13:28 #8 by Ninjin Khun (Ninjin Khun)
Replied by Ninjin Khun (Ninjin Khun) on topic A New Player And His Friends
I npc'd the first shift and it really helped me get a understanding and feel for the game. PCing is by far my favorite though.

Ninjin Khun (Chanin Jaksarn)
Honor bound to House Zero
Runaway from Kingdom of Night
"How can someone like me see the light, when I was born in the Night."
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
02 Jul 2010 13:35 #9 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic A New Player And His Friends
You will certainly get a feeling for combat if you NPC a "monster."

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
02 Jul 2010 17:22 #10 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic A New Player And His Friends
Hey Mark.  I'd just like to echo what James said there regarding NPC'ing  first shift.  I highly recommend it for a number of different reasons.  The first of which is to get yourself accustomed to the rules and some of the combat system.  Also, it gets your shift out of the way, so you can get right into character for the rest of the weekend.  I actually recommend this to anyone that comes to the event for the first time that has a character concept in mind and wants to PC their first event.  We're all great people here, and more than happy to answer any questions you have.  Hope to see you soon.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
04 Jul 2010 04:42 #11 by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes)
Replied by Sergei Petsho (Bran MacInnes) on topic A New Player And His Friends
I will also echo what has been said regarding first-shift npc duty.  I come into the game with a background in a different larp.  Being able to npc right away helped give me a feel for the game and how the combat system works, s well as how people interact with each other.  Plus, since it was my first event and I wanted to pc my character, it meant I got to stay immersed in character for a longer period of time, which I find to be most enjoyable.

"What do you take me for? Some kind of big damn hero?"
Sergei Petsho, Voivode and Steward of Inovar, Owner and Masseur Extraordinaire of Magic Hands Massage.

"What, it's for my research, I swear!"
Nigel Whitworth, Gentleman Apothecary

"Here, kid, suck on this and shut up for a while."
Aengus MacAengus Hesperus, Professional Old Person

OOG: Chris Zipeto
Storyteller
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.510 seconds