new player planning on starting soon

08 Jul 2010 13:52 #1 by dracos bloodbane (dracos bloodbane)
new player planning on starting soon was created by dracos bloodbane (dracos bloodbane)
hello, my name is Darrell and I've known about KR for quite a few years now, but only recently decided that i am going to start playing.
I have a basic idea of what i want to make my character (mage w/ warlock/fire schools of magic) and i had a few questions

1. I'm still trying to decide what race to make my mage, i want to play a race that has a bit more complexity than a standard human but i don't want a race that requires a lot of make up/prosthetics
2. what type of clothing would you suggest for a mage? (robe and the like)
3. and what armor should a mage use? (i know that in most RPGs (and all of fantasy books/movies etc) mages only wear cloth robes and pretty much nothing else in terms of armor) which i could deal with, but would put me at a huge disadvantage since that would leave my body points open.

any help at all would be greatly appreciated, please suggest links to sites that sell things for larping and fantasy related items

thanks,
Darrell

OOG: Darrell Hundertmark
  • shalok
  • in vino veritas
  • Thank Yous: 17
08 Jul 2010 14:32 #2 by shalok (shalok)
Replied by shalok (shalok) on topic new player planning on starting soon
High Elf is the best race imo for a mage.  You start off with a bunch of needed skills for the mage list.  It only requires ear tips which are inexpensive and low maintenance.

There is no requirement per profession for costuming but robes make the most sense.  You could also go with a very simple outfit within period limitations.

Armor can be used provided you have the phys-reps for them.  Cloth does generate minimal armor but you can easily get away with light leather and a small shield to help in combat.  Or you can stand in the back lines like most mages that don't have any advanced combat skills.

The link under 'resources">sponsored links will have a great selection of everything you need as well as a lot of the player make costuming and armor in their spare time and usually give pretty good prices.  You can put an inquiry here.    www.knightrealms.com/forums/index.php?board=7.0

~Knight Templar Shalok Kensington of the Order of the Valiant Shield
Master of the Hunt

oog- Mahoney
Larp Armor and Latex Weapons- larpexchange.com
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
08 Jul 2010 15:24 #3 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic new player planning on starting soon
As far as Armor goes, you can always go with a simple pair of leather bracers.  That few extra AP would do wonders for a mage.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
08 Jul 2010 16:06 #4 by dracos bloodbane (dracos bloodbane)
Replied by dracos bloodbane (dracos bloodbane) on topic new player planning on starting soon
i was thinking about a chainmaille shirt/hauberk (since i know how to make chainmaille myself and have done it before) but would that be too uncharacteristically out of place for a mage?

• shalok
  • in vino veritas
  • Thank Yous: 17
08 Jul 2010 16:33 #5 by shalok (shalok)
Replied by shalok (shalok) on topic new player planning on starting soon
No it would not be.  Trust me, Travance has seen much weirder things than a mage wearing chainmail

~Knight Templar Shalok Kensington of the Order of the Valiant Shield
Master of the Hunt

oog- Mahoney
Larp Armor and Latex Weapons- larpexchange.com
  • Matt D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Photographer extraordinaire!
  • Thank Yous: 557
08 Jul 2010 19:04 #6 by Matt D (MattD)
Replied by Matt D (MattD) on topic new player planning on starting soon
Just spend one event here, and you'll see Mahoney's point.  Chainmail is fine.

Elias Ashby
Proprietor of the Ashby Family General Store

Lord Templar Rayven Nightwing of the Order of Holy Light

(OOG - Matt D. - Photographer)
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
08 Jul 2010 22:59 #7 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic new player planning on starting soon
Comfortable clothing is my suggestion.  Comfort rates very high with me.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
12 Jul 2010 18:06 #8 by Gabriel Llopiz (Xenas)
Replied by Gabriel Llopiz (Xenas) on topic new player planning on starting soon
Hello, and welcome. I've seen mages run in with all kinds of armors and weapons, so a chainmail-clad caster is pretty commonplace.

If you're going to use chainmail, then go for it, but remember, you're wearing that for over how long? 40 hours? It gets very heavy very fast. If, of course, you don't mind it then go for it.

Always a pleasure,
Felix Suarez
[OOG: Gabriel L.]
14 Jul 2010 20:21 #9 by dracos bloodbane (dracos bloodbane)
Replied by dracos bloodbane (dracos bloodbane) on topic new player planning on starting soon
I would be making the chainmail out of aluminum wire (most likely 12 gauge) so the weight shouldn't be too much of a problem

15 Jul 2010 15:50 #10 by Gabriel Llopiz (Xenas)
Replied by Gabriel Llopiz (Xenas) on topic new player planning on starting soon
Then by all means, wear chainmail 'til your heart's content.

Always a pleasure,
Felix Suarez
[OOG: Gabriel L.]
20 Jul 2010 20:57 #11 by dracos bloodbane (dracos bloodbane)
i am planning on paying to PC but NPCing the entire weekend for the first 9-12 months to build up some extra build before i actually start PCing, and i have a few questions about that
1. what should i bring (i.e. clothing/sleeping materials) to the event if i am going to be NPCing the entire weekend?
2. what will be provided for me while NPCing?

thanks,
-darrell

20 Jul 2010 21:57 #12 by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
Replied by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen) on topic new player planning on starting soon
All the info you need for NPCing can be found here: www.knightrealms.com/component/content/a...npcs-a-npc-duty.html

--Sean

Skimmel
RP Marshal, Rules Marshal, Storyteller
18 Aug 2010 13:40 #13 by Piggy Punch (Wyen Nightfrost)
Replied by Piggy Punch (Wyen Nightfrost) on topic new player planning on starting soon
I have been NPCing for a while now, as a full-time NPC I can tell you that by way of clothing that black is the color to wear. if you can a black shirt, black pants will be your best bet. But for more detail please reffer to the link above or a marshall for more information.

Baht A'tal Damien Mograinne
Champion of Galmachis

OOG Josh LaBar
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.562 seconds