My first Character

• Drengu
  • Thank Yous: 0
01 Aug 2010 07:48 #1 by Drengu (Drengu)
My first Character was created by Drengu (Drengu)
So here is the first character i am thinking of going with... just checking to see if its ok.

Sylvan Elf- Archer

Ranged Weapon Prof +1 x2: 8
Critical Ranged Attack: 2
Tracking: 1

Total: 11

OOG: David Ledvinka
  • Ninjin Khun
  • Death by Cookie!~
01 Aug 2010 08:52 #2 by Ninjin Khun (Ninjin Khun)
Replied by Ninjin Khun (Ninjin Khun) on topic My first Character
You are going to need to put points into being able to use a weapon, so if you were to get a bow, it be two points.

Also as a Sylvan Elf you will only have 2 body, maybe you might want to put points in that.

My first time I did

Edge Mastery-3
Shield Mastery-2
Body- 3 (Put three points into body equaling nine body points)
Literacy -1 (Just because)

I had 1 point left, and no moves, but at least I could use any sword.

Ninjin Khun (Chanin Jaksarn)
Honor bound to House Zero
Runaway from Kingdom of Night
"How can someone like me see the light, when I was born in the Night."
01 Aug 2010 08:56 #3 by Winks Sharpthorn (Winks)
Replied by Winks Sharpthorn (Winks) on topic My first Character
The Sylvan Elf racial for Ranged Prof only applies once; meaning you can buy one Prof for 4 build but any after that will cost the normal 6 build. That gives you 4 extra build to work with. My recommendation would be to take a Flee. It's quite useful for ranged characters, and especially so for beginning characters.

Sylvans get Bow use for free, so thankfully you don't have to worry about that.

In Service to Travance
Ser Winks Sharpthorn, The Resolute
Knight of Drega'Mire
Soul-Blade of Galladel

Alt: William Sterling
Chief Mechanic of the Kormyrian Sky Flotilla
Lead Engineer of the Travancian Railroad

OOG: Walter Soto
Marshal
Cannon Marshal
  • Ninjin Khun
  • Death by Cookie!~
01 Aug 2010 09:06 #4 by Ninjin Khun (Ninjin Khun)

The Sylvan Elf racial for Ranged Prof only applies once; meaning you can buy one Prof for 4 build but any after that will cost the normal 6 build. That gives you 4 extra build to work with. My recommendation would be to take a Flee. It's quite useful for ranged characters, and especially so for beginning characters.

Sylvans get Bow use for free, so thankfully you don't have to worry about that.

Ah, I overlooked the bow part : P

01 Aug 2010 12:12 #5 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic My first Character

While giving general advice is fine (like you might want to have a melee weapon), please becareful when you start talking about the rules.  This post was just on the borderline between helping and acting as a rules marshal.  The problem came when Walter pointed out that a character can only use the racial skills once, and when the example given by Chanin referred to skills not on the Archer list or the Commoner list, which might have confused the new player who was looking to make an Archer.  If you feel you need to quote the rules, please put them in quotes, and don't interpret them.  Even if what you say is true, stating it in your own words rather than a straight quote might put you in a position where players will look to you as a rule marshal. 

Answering Posts
Posted questions regarding game operations, including rules and policy questions, should only be answered by a member of staff or a Rules Marshal. In the interest of disseminating only accurate information regarding the game rules and policies, Knight Realms reserves the right to remove posts which respond to these questions improperly - without notification to the user - and to suspend or ban a user's posting privileges in the event of repeated abuses.

I hate to come across like a jerk.  But it's my job here, and strict enforcement is really the best policy, so posts like this are a reminder to everyone.

How it could have been posted:

There are some rules you might not have noticed, I have quoted them below.

Racial Skill List
Each race also has a racial skill list, from which a character can purchase a pre-set list of skills appropriate for that race. All racial skills can only be purchased one time, unless otherwise noted. You do not need to have a teacher to learn racial skills; you can inherently develop use of the skills by purchasing them.

Racial Benefits
Befriend Animal
Bow
Lore: Forest

Racial Skill List
(2) Literacy: Sylvan Elven
(4) Ranged Weapon Proficiency +1
(5) Vengeance vs. Dark Elves
(1) Tracking
(5) Tracking Evasion / Tracking

Since it's also a good idea to have Melee Weapon I might have made the character like this:
Sylvan Elf
Archer

0  Befriend Animal
0  Bow
0  Lore: Forest
4  Ranged Weapon Proficiency +1
2  Critical Ranged Attack
1  Tracking
3  1-H Edged
1  +2 Body

Or What Walter Suggested
Sylvan Elf
Archer

0  Befriend Animal
0  Bow
0  Lore: Forest
4  Ranged Weapon Proficiency +1
2  Critical Ranged Attack
1  Tracking
4  Flee

-OOG Michael Smith
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
01 Aug 2010 15:04 #6 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic My first Character
Why rush to become proficient in a weapon when there are many other skills that will be more useful to a beginner?

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
01 Aug 2010 19:07 #7 by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix)
Replied by Alexandre Blythewood (Eleventh Phoenix) on topic My first Character
I feel the need to point out that all of the Archer tag skills either require Ranged Prof or have other prerequisites that require Ranged Prof.

That said, Charlie does have a point.  If there's a specific Trade skill that makes sense for your character to have, there is a definite benefit to starting with it.  Also, if your character should already be able to read and right, Literacy or Literacy: Sylvan would be skills to consider.

-Alexandre Blythewood

OOG: Zach Theis
  • Ninjin Khun
  • Death by Cookie!~
01 Aug 2010 23:07 #8 by Ninjin Khun (Ninjin Khun)

While giving general advice is fine (like you might want to have a melee weapon), please becareful when you start talking about the rules.  This post was just on the borderline between helping and acting as a rules marshal.  The problem came when Walter pointed out that a character can only use the racial skills once, and when the example given by Chanin referred to skills not on the Archer list or the Commoner list, which might have confused the new player who was looking to make an Archer.   If you feel you need to quote the rules, please put them in quotes, and don't interpret them.  Even if what you say is true, stating it in your own words rather than a straight quote might put you in a position where players will look to you as a rule marshal. 

Answering Posts
Posted questions regarding game operations, including rules and policy questions, should only be answered by a member of staff or a Rules Marshal. In the interest of disseminating only accurate information regarding the game rules and policies, Knight Realms reserves the right to remove posts which respond to these questions improperly - without notification to the user - and to suspend or ban a user's posting privileges in the event of repeated abuses.

Sorry, I'll try to do so next time

02 Aug 2010 11:03 #9 by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred)
Replied by Woolsey Bysmor (Osred) on topic My first Character
No problem... like I said, I like getting the chance to remind everyone, and this post was borderline at worst.

-OOG Michael Smith
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
02 Aug 2010 13:56 #10 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic My first Character

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
Mark Twain

Go ahead... take up Literacy.  Join Team Evil (aka joining either Team Edward or Team Jacob... both lead to damnation).  ;)

In all seriousness, my post is to tell you... while you're free to post your character builds, it's totally up to you how the points are spent.  If you just want the ranged weapon prof and no literacy or melee skills, go ahead.  FOIGing "character builds" can be fun, and can lead to nice IC discussions on why some people use 1h vs 2h weapons or certain fighting styles (and not for the OOG mechanic of DPS or build efficiency).  ;)

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.492 seconds