Semi new player with quick questions

• daryth
  • Thank Yous: 0
05 Oct 2010 18:27 #1 by daryth (daryth)
Semi new player with quick questions was created by daryth (daryth)
Hi there all.  I am hopefully making the October event and I was looking to start a new character but I'm at the moment torn on what to do.

I'm looking at a Goblin warrior *OR* a gypsy mage (completely different I know right?!)

What I'm looking for from the collective masses is just a bit of insight on both the goblins and the gypsies in Knight Realms.  My last game (June I think?) I can't even recall seeing a goblin except for npcs so I don't know much about KR goblyns.  On the flip side of that, I hung out with several gypsies there and had a blast role playing with them. 

I've had experiences being goblyn and gypsy in different gaming systems but I'm just interested in seeing where the differences lay.

Of course if I don't make up my mind, I might just stick with my human ranger until I can figure something out.

Thanks in advance!

Daryth

oog:  Patrick Cleveland
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
05 Oct 2010 20:15 #2 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Semi new player with quick questions
Hi Patrick!

Knight Realms draws a lot from fantasy, but it also has a darker bent to it - the goblins should be sneaky and vicious, not stupid and "shiny" goblins.  Similarly, the Gypsies should have a shady aspect to them - while most PCs are of the agreeable sort, never forget that Gyspies can curse someone, and put their family above everyone else.  Don't let the color, jingles, and smiles fool you, there's a dagger in their hand, behind their back!

While neither race is inherently evil (like a Drow would be), or amoral (like a Nyad), they both have different priorities than typical "vanilla" humans would.  This can be fun to play out, especially if you interact with other Goblins / Gypsies.  Racial tensions in the game are always present, even if only on a low level at times - it's a part of the darker aspect of the game.

Hopefully that answers your questions!

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • daryth
  • Thank Yous: 0
06 Oct 2010 13:23 #3 by daryth (daryth)
Replied by daryth (daryth) on topic Semi new player with quick questions
Hey thanks!  Ok, here are two more questions for you that I've not been able to find answers for. 
In the rule book while looking at races and what professions they can be, there are three classifications:  Starting professions, penalized professions, and prohibited professions.  Starting and prohibited professions are pretty obvious...But penalized professions?  Does that mean that a goblyn cannot start as a mage but can learn it as a 2nd class?

The other questions is about the warrior skill armor patch.  If I'm wearing more than one piece of armor (chain vest and possibly a helm) can I use the armor patch skill on both of them at the same time?

Thanks...again!  ;D
  • Belegchand
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 163
06 Oct 2010 13:28 #4 by Belegchand (mcalo)
Replied by Belegchand (mcalo) on topic Semi new player with quick questions
First and foremost, welcome to the game!

I think this is what you were looking for, as far as penalized professions goes (taken from The Races of Arawyn page at www.knightrealms.com/component/content/a...races-of-arawyn.html )

[size=15pt]Penalized Professions
Each character race has a list of professions that can only be acquired by paying an extra build cost. A penalized profession costs fifteen build rather than the usual ten. This additional cost represents that the profession requires mental or physical attributes that are unusual to the race, and therefore learning the profession as that race is a greater challenge than it is for other races.

OOG: Matt Calo - Marshal
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.439 seconds