Combat Rule:

16 Nov 2010 21:50 #1 by FreeCookiesforU (FreeCookiesforU)
Combat Rule: was created by FreeCookiesforU (FreeCookiesforU)
"All specific injury attacks must be called out with the type of damage behind the attack (i.e. - "Slay Silver"), except if the damage is normal damage (i.e. - just say "Slay" not "Slay Normal")."

Is this rule still observed? I have done a couple events as an NPC, and I haven't really observed it being done. Everyone calls their strikes damage type with normal swings, but I can swear that some people with silver/mythril/magical weapons striked me with "Ability" instead of "Ability Damagetype".

-Crispin VanDyke

Christopher K. (AKA "Ginger Guy")
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
16 Nov 2010 22:07 - 16 Nov 2010 22:13 #2 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Combat Rule:
If a person  has a normal weapon, or the material one has doesn't offer an effect that it would matter if the NPC heard it, one can just say the ability.  For instance, on a normal human with no special abilities, whatever my weapon is, just saying "Slay" is enough.  If I'm fighting some big baddie that is only effected by mithril or better, I will certainly be sure to say "Slay Mithril" (or whatever) so the NPC knows they should take damage from it.

So the rule is still in effect, it just only matters if you want the material of your weapon to be considered by the NPC taking the damage.  Now, if you're NPCing and the same character is hitting you with the same weapon swinging a certain type of damage, you can assume when they use a skill with that same weapon its that material as well, and it was just a mistake on their part.  If you're being beaten down by a bunch of people though, its not your responsibility as an NPC to remember who is doing what kind of damage if they are neglecting to call it the proper way.  You can just take what you know effects you.  Make sense?

My question i guess is how you "know" someone has a silver/mithril/ whatever weapon if they aren't calling the damage though?

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2010 22:13 by .
16 Nov 2010 23:01 - 16 Nov 2010 23:05 #3 by FreeCookiesforU (FreeCookiesforU)
Replied by FreeCookiesforU (FreeCookiesforU) on topic Combat Rule:

My question i guess is how you "know" someone has a silver/mithril/ whatever weapon if they aren't calling the damage though?

If this question is not a general rhetorical question, and actually aimed at me, then the answer is that (for example in the October main mod) there were people swinging for Divinefire.

That one of those people may have swung for a, lets say hypothetically, a critical attack. But they had not called Critical Attack Divinefire.

And as a Skeleton, I would have taken double damage from divine. I did not realize until after that was the case, either. They could have hit me for double damage there.

-Crispin VanDyke

Christopher K. (AKA "Ginger Guy")
Last edit: 16 Nov 2010 23:05 by .
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
17 Nov 2010 07:24 #4 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Combat Rule:
Fair enough.  Yeah, if they don't say it, as an NPC you can't be expected to know to take double - an NPC can only function on what they are told. 

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • Seámus Aeislin
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Glaine ár gcroí! Neart ár ngéag! Beart de réir ár mbriathar!
  • Thank Yous: 30
18 Nov 2010 16:33 #5 by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin)
Replied by Seámus Aeislin (Seámus_Aeislin) on topic Combat Rule:
Now, I'm not exactly new to larping and larp combat (played Amtgard for 4 years), but there are definitely differences between KR's combat system and Amtgard's as far as what information NPCs are expected to react accordingly to. So, I have a similar question...

Undead supposedly take double damage from blunt weapons. So, is it the duty of the NPC Undead to take double damage when they know they were struck by a phys-rep of a blunt weapon, or is it up to the player when confronting an undead NPC to specify that their weapon is in fact a blunt weapon? I mostly ask because "Edged" and "Blunt" are weapon categories and not damage types.

IG:
Main - Sir Seámus Aeislin of the Clan MacInnes

Alt - Boryev Solvei, Baro of the Solvei Kampania
#bigtomdidnuffinwrong
OOG - Shane Johnson
Monster Marshal
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
18 Nov 2010 16:56 #6 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic Combat Rule:
www.knightrealms.com/forums/index.php?topic=6329.0

I think this should help answer some questions and point out a few things, mostly in regards to the roles of the Marshal(s) and Storyteller(s).

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
18 Nov 2010 17:22 #7 by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen)
Replied by Draknar DoKanen (Draknar DoKanen) on topic Combat Rule:

Undead supposedly take double damage from blunt weapons.

Please note that this is not true of all undead.  If it effects the NPC you are playing, it will be on your NPC stat card.  Therefore, often times a PC would not know whether or not you take double from blunt weapons (or silver / magic / etc).  For that reason, the NPC is responsible for keeping track of what effects them.  Granted, if you're a skeleton who gets hit in the back with a mace, you may not know it was a blunt weapon that hit you, but you should do your best to keep track in situations like that.

Sean

Skimmel
RP Marshal, Rules Marshal, Storyteller
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.542 seconds