Hello! New member here...

• Kolann
  • Om Shanti
  • Thank Yous: 0
03 May 2008 16:33 #1 by Kolann (Kolann)
Hello! New member here... was created by Kolann (Kolann)
Hi!

I'm planning on attending the next KR event (May 9th). This will be my first time in a live action role play. I just have some questions about getting started.

I was thinking about role playing as a dryad. For the makeup... do I need to cover myself entirely with green and brown- or are flecks of green/brown on my face and arms sufficient? (I would be wearing a green wig and pointed ears as well- if that makes a difference)
Also, about being a dryad, the rules say a dryad starts off with 10 DP. Is this in addition to the 10 DP you get when you first become a druid?

Thanks! I hope to meet everyone soon…  :)

"Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes,
that call me on and on across the universe."

IG: Not Yet Created
OOG: Colby Krolak
03 May 2008 16:54 #2 by Jacob Kanane (Jacob Kanane)
Replied by Jacob Kanane (Jacob Kanane) on topic Hello! New member here...
Welcome to the game!

A Druid would start the game with 3 Druid Points for free, plus additional points that the Druid can buy at a 1/3 ratio with your starting build. In addition to those 3 free druid points you would get +10 DP if you are a Dryad. So that would give you 13 DP plus however many points you buy.

A green wig and flecks of green/brown on most of your exposed skin such as your face and arms should be fine. Glittery makeup is preferred by Dryads to help differentiate them from the goblinoid races, which must wear solid green makeup over all their exposed skin.

Also, its forum policy that we have everyone sign their posts with at least your first name so we know who you are.  Thanks and welcome again!

Brother Jacob Kanane
Templar of the Order of the Mailed Fist

(oog) Rob Irving
  • Kolann
  • Om Shanti
03 May 2008 17:14 #3 by Kolann (Kolann)
Replied by Kolann (Kolann) on topic Hello! New member here...
Thank you very much for your help. It's nice to meet you both. I'm very sorry for not introducing myself in that first post- my name is Colby. Hope to meet you in the near future!  :)

• Brother Bear
  • Gra, Dilseacht, Cairdeas
03 May 2008 19:48 #4 by Brother Bear (runebound)
Replied by Brother Bear (runebound) on topic Hello! New member here...
Hey i play a druid as well the June event will be my second so it will be good to have another druid to tag along with near the same level ;D

Brother Collin McBane
Elder of clan McBane
Cleric of Gaia and preserver of life
Druid and guardian of Arawyn

IG:Josh Yoder
  • Kolann
  • Om Shanti
04 May 2008 14:02 #5 by Kolann (Kolann)
Very nice to meet you, too! Sadly, some plans have changed and it looks like I won't be able to go to the May event- but I will definitely be at the June event- so maybe I'll see you all then!  ;D

• Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
04 May 2008 19:11 #6 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic Hello! New member here...

Welcome to the game!

A Druid would start the game with 3 Druid Points for free, plus additional points that the Druid can buy at a 1/3 ratio with your starting build. In addition to those 3 free druid points you would get +10 DP if you are a Dryad. So that would give you 13 DP plus however many points you buy.

A green wig and flecks of green/brown on most of your exposed skin such as your face and arms should be fine. Glittery makeup is preferred by Dryads to help differentiate them from the goblinoid races, which must wear solid green makeup over all their exposed skin.

Also, its forum policy that we have everyone sign their posts with at least your first name so we know who you are.  Thanks and welcome again!

Jacob. Those are the old requirements for being a Dryad.

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
04 May 2008 20:48 #7 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Hello! New member here...
Tom:  The requirements Rob (Jacob is his IG name) cited are correct via the new rules, under costume and makeup requirements.  I am not able to copy/paste them from the pdf.  If there is some confusion, please further elaborate.

Brown/green glittery makeup is required for Dryads.  The green wig sounds like a good enhancement, and while not required, costuming additions like that are always encouraged.

We look forward to having you Colby, whenever you can make it out!

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
  • Odo Garaath
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Back and Ready For More!
  • Thank Yous: 12
05 May 2008 07:27 #8 by Odo Garaath (Odo)
Replied by Odo Garaath (Odo) on topic Hello! New member here...

Tom:  The requirements Rob (Jacob is his IG name) cited are correct via the new rules, under costume and makeup requirements.  I am not able to copy/paste them from the pdf.  If there is some confusion, please further elaborate.

Brown/green glittery makeup is required for Dryads.  The green wig sounds like a good enhancement, and while not required, costuming additions like that are always encouraged.

We look forward to having you Colby, whenever you can make it out!

Oops. My bad Rob.

Having re-read it, I got mixed up on the comparison to goblins.  I thought dryads had to wear a 'racoon' mask around their eyes of a color that represents the current season.

"Praise be to Enax, and blessing to his followers."

(Tom Senger )
05 May 2008 12:10 #9 by Birnum Pyre (Birnum Pyre)
Replied by Birnum Pyre (Birnum Pyre) on topic Hello! New member here...
Hey there Colby,

Welcome to our home here on the web, I would normally be encouraging you to feel free to ask questions and the like but I see you are more than on top of it. There are plenty of people here who can help you out. Hope to meet you in June.

Take care,

OOG:
Brendan O'Hara
  • Kolann
  • Om Shanti
05 May 2008 17:45 #10 by Kolann (Kolann)
Yay! Thank you all very much for your help! I just have one more question though... the rules say dryads have no concept of money and sometimes hold treasure instead. How does this affect the game? Is it harder to engage in certain aspects of the game when your character can't use money? Thanks again for being so helpful!

• Daedri
  • Thank Yous: 1
05 May 2008 18:09 #11 by Daedri (Daedri)
Replied by Daedri (Daedri) on topic Hello! New member here...
It would be very difficult for a Dryad to find level terms with certain money-oriented characters.

However a pure-spirited, gentle and friendly creature like a dryad through good roleplay will find him or herself with friends among the more down to earth characters in no time. And friends and favors are often worth much more than gold in real times of need.

By my understanding a Dryad can collect coins and gems and valuable items but would base their value strictly off of personal significance and beauty and not the set values of the economy. So again good roleplay is important as with any character to show that , this sack of gems is worth something to the dryad but it may be worth less than some piece of quartz the dryad found just because he likes it more. Even though in actuality the sack of gems would be worth much more to most other people.

A trait like this can be a blessing and provides and great 'in' to discovering your own personalized way of portraying a dryad.

In short I would say that you might find swindlers and such taking advantage of a dryads innocent nature but if you unlearn what you know about money , and focus on the things that a dryad cares about: nature, life, beauty, fun. I think you will have a lot more fun  as a player than you might have bargained for.

See you in June!

Daedri Elensar
Shipwright to the People

Craig Odell
  • Kolann
  • Om Shanti
06 May 2008 09:23 #12 by Kolann (Kolann)
I see! Thanks, Craig. I like how you described a Dryad's greater appreciation for nature and life over money. I think I’m going to have a great time role playing a Dryad at my first event.  ;D

If there’s anything else you think I should know before the June event, please, let me know!

Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.615 seconds