First time LARPer

• Emily
  • Thank Yous: 0
19 Jul 2012 12:48 #1 by Emily (Atmis)
First time LARPer was created by Emily (Atmis)
I had just learned about LARP last year when a friend of mine showed me his homemade LARP swords and daggers. I was interested to know what it felt like to play so we would go to the park and beat each other. To my dismay it was not what I thought it would be. I really wanted to go somewhere that actually would have a story plot and acting involved. Then I found Night Realms. It looks like one of the best LARP groups I have ever seen! I plan to come for a weekend of LARPing in October for my 18th birthday. I just have some questions. If some friends would come with me, would we get to stay in the same cabin? I'm also concerned a bit about my inexperience. Does it matter if I'm not that great at using a weapon? Thanks for your help. I'm looking forward to seeing you all in October. :)

.:~Emily~:.

• Moirya
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank Yous: 35
19 Jul 2012 12:54 #2 by Moirya (Moirya)
Replied by Moirya (Moirya) on topic First time LARPer
Hey Emily! First off.. welcome to Knight Realms! Hitting your friends with boffer weapons is a time honored past time that has often led to Larping so, don't fret!

In the warmer months, we have a ton of large tents (atleast 12ftx12ft, the big Girl Scout kind, if you are familiar) set up and spread across the camp so generally speaking, I'm pretty positive you and your friends could find space *somewhere* and bunker down. When it gets colder out though we tend to condense into the heated buildings and then it's a tad more tricky to room with all of your friends, but it's certainly not impossible!

And as for not being so great with a weapon, that is fine! You don't have to be super-amazing with a boffer weapon to have fun and if you would like to be heavily involved in combat, well then you'll have a perfect chance to practice and get better during the event.

I hope that answers your questions and if you have any others, feel free to let me know! :D

Prin mainile mele,
Moirya Arkanian
Squire to Sir Magnus Von-Ritter
Lieutenant of the Baronial Guard

OOG : Sam Dio
Logistics Marshal / New Player Marshal
19 Jul 2012 13:56 #3 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic First time LARPer
Id like to reiterate the welcome and not to be concerned about the weapons thing. I've been coming to Knight Realms for about 7/8 months and can still barely hit people with my bow.

As for bunking with friends Moirya is right large tents in the summer cabins in the winter. Its been my experience that when I bring friends to an event I can always bunk with them, its never been an issue.

Again welcome and we can't wait for you to come to the game. Any questions please feel free to ask.

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
  • BalindorIN
  • Thank Yous: 13
19 Jul 2012 15:27 #4 by BalindorIN (BalindorIN)
Replied by BalindorIN (BalindorIN) on topic First time LARPer
Hey Emily, welcome to the group and the game!

You have found a great place to have your first event, the folks here are friendly, polite and as helpful as any group I have ever had the pleasure to interact with. Getting good in combat comes with practice just like anything else so don't worry to much. There will be plenty of people around to help you and your friends get adjusted.

So ya, enjoy your new obsession, cuz you won't want to quit playing at the end of the event :-)

Pelinderian,

OOG: Jeff Mininger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Uhtred (Erich Lutz)
  • Bladesworn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 238
19 Jul 2012 15:39 #5 by Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
Replied by Bladesworn (Bladesworn) on topic First time LARPer

Emily wrote: I'm also concerned a bit about my inexperience. Does it matter if I'm not that great at using a weapon?

Welcome aboard & if you're really that bad at fighting, you'll fit right in... if not excel & be named head of the military. :P

IG: Tyran Radley
Vassal of Alisandria
OOG: Paul Y.
19 Jul 2012 18:16 #6 by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042)
Replied by Gunnar Gunnarson (jhines0042) on topic First time LARPer
I would also say welcome, I am new to Knight Realms myself (been to one event so far) and at that one event I have seen very safe combat and I have also seen several occasions where people were teaching each other combat and or practicing combat. So there is ample time to get good at it. Additionally there are a host of non-combat professions that can be played, leaving only your mandatory 4 hour NPC shift as a time in which you might be basing heads in.

Welcome and see you soon!

Gunnar Gunnarson, Medicine Man
--
OOG: Joe Hines
Former Development Officer
  • Elric_Ashby
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • LORD OF POTATOES
  • Thank Yous: 113
19 Jul 2012 18:29 #7 by Elric_Ashby (Elric_Ashby)
Replied by Elric_Ashby (Elric_Ashby) on topic First time LARPer
there is also new player training every event, (ran by the new player marshals) they will make sure you aren't as lost as i was my first event.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Father Elric Ashby, Artificer, Priest of Galladel, Master of the Adventurer's guild, Warden of the Phokus.

Dr. Viktor Solvei, Pioneer Surgeon

OOG Benjamin Oakley, New Player Marshal... of doom
  • Aemorniel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • In Truth, all things are Bound.
  • Thank Yous: 108
19 Jul 2012 19:03 #8 by Aemorniel (Aemorniel)
Replied by Aemorniel (Aemorniel) on topic First time LARPer
The cabin space thing is a maybe depending on how big your group is and how early you get there. Sometimes we have over a 150 people come to the camp. The tents--which can be made very comfortable--are always an option if you're worried about such things. Weapon experience isn't everything. You will learn with practice. As someone trained professionally in weaponry, larp has its own style that you just have to get used to. No one will make fun of you for it or fault you especially since you're a beginner. Believe me--Knight Realms is one of the best LARPs in this part of the US if you want a great balance of story and roleplay added in with a bit of adventure. To be honest, combat isn't obligatory. There are many people who play healers and physicians or any other support class that are perfectly happy helping others who get "hurt" by the monsters. Can't wait to see you at the October event--they always do something fun with a dash of Halloween feeling to it so you'll have a blast.

Loremaster Aemorniel Estelwen Silverbow
The Quill of the Witch Hunter Academy of Travance
Apprentice to the Baronial Small Council
Court Scholar of Pendarvin
Assistant Editor and Columnist of The Travance Chronicle

While Others Succumb, We Overcome
~~~~~~~~~
OOG--JJ G.

The past cannot be changed, forgotten, edited, or erased. It can only be accepted.
  • Emily
20 Jul 2012 09:45 #9 by Emily (Atmis)
Replied by Emily (Atmis) on topic First time LARPer
Thanks so much for your help. I don't feel as concerned as I did before about my friends or fighting. At first I thought these types of places where strictly for people that knew how to play, but now I understand that it is a learning process and you get better overtime. I'm trying to learn everything I can before I can get there so I have an overall better experience. :-)

• GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
20 Jul 2012 11:10 #10 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic First time LARPer
One of the things that makes KR (And LARPing in general) great is some of the real-life experience you take away from it. While swordplay isn't an essential life skill in 2012, interest in things such as leatherwork, food preparation, social skills, etc. can reflect back to real life in a positive way.

We've also gotten a few people who have lost weight or gotten into shape because of KR...

Heck, as the webmaster, I've learned a heck of a lot more for this "hobby" than I would have otherwise!

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Emily
20 Jul 2012 12:28 #11 by Emily (Atmis)
That's great! Haha...I do tend to be on the shy side. :unsure: I can imagine there would be a bunch of things to learn about in life with this experience.

• Emily
20 Jul 2012 12:34 #12 by Emily (Atmis)
Oh, and I keep forgetting to ask, What happens after you die during the game? Does someone heal you or do you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can play again?

• Aemorniel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • In Truth, all things are Bound.
  • Thank Yous: 108
20 Jul 2012 12:40 #13 by Aemorniel (Aemorniel)
Replied by Aemorniel (Aemorniel) on topic First time LARPer
Well it depends on the situation. If you are hit where you are in a negative body count you don't die instantly. Usually there are healers or physicians nearby to help you and fix you back up. Consult the "Stage of Health and Dying" in the rulebook to get a better understanding of what the process is. If you do die for some reason that first event, you wear a blue headband. Usually a healer attuned to the focus will find you in the "spirit realm" and they will take you to the Monastery to bring you back to life.

Loremaster Aemorniel Estelwen Silverbow
The Quill of the Witch Hunter Academy of Travance
Apprentice to the Baronial Small Council
Court Scholar of Pendarvin
Assistant Editor and Columnist of The Travance Chronicle

While Others Succumb, We Overcome
~~~~~~~~~
OOG--JJ G.

The past cannot be changed, forgotten, edited, or erased. It can only be accepted.
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
20 Jul 2012 12:46 #14 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic First time LARPer
A quicker summary - from the time you are "killed," you have about 10 minutes until your spirit leaves your body, during which you can be healed. After that time, your spirit departs the body, but can be brought back up to a total of 4 times.

There's exceptions and variants (there always are), but that's the jist of it.

It's OK to take a hit and go down. Even with a ton of armor, and being 80th level, I take a fall regularly while in combat!

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
  • Pappy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • First in, Last out
  • Thank Yous: 103
20 Jul 2012 15:10 #15 by Pappy (Quan)
Replied by Pappy (Quan) on topic First time LARPer
Hello and welcome,
I am charged with the responsibility of the kitchen. As part of that staff we also keep track of people with allergies and are kind of the point of contact for direction to many of the out of game services like:
first aid - dehydration, cuts, scrapes, etc.
communication with rules marshalls and the director if necessary.
directions to different areas in the camp.

Many of our newer player get an opportunity to become aquainted with game play by being part of the semi in game environment of the kitchen. It's one of the many and I mean many; areas that you can get to meet players ask questions. and feel useful while remaining within a certain comfort zone where you can make in game gold as well as important service point rewards that can be used later...

I hope for the opportunity to meet you and your group. See you soon...

Quan Liu Shen
Former Headmaster of Wudan Mtn. Academy             
"When the time comes, a mouse can become a tiger"

--*--

Vladmir Ahmad As'Hassin
Brotherhood of workers Guild

OGG:
     Luis C
Kitchen Staff
Officer
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.558 seconds