Interested in Attending!

• Danielle
  • Thank Yous: 1
24 Jul 2012 21:48 #1 by Danielle (Nemeah)
Interested in Attending! was created by Danielle (Nemeah)
My name is Danielle. I actually heard about Knight Realms when I was still living overseas and since moving back to the US (and now much closer to your events), I am super excited and considering coming out for one in the future!

I will admit, I am a little nervous. I have never larped before, but I have worked at Bristol Ren Faire in Wisconsin before moving out to Ohio. I want to make a PC and also potentially vendor, since I have been making hair pieces, doing intricate braiding and writing/drawing a graphic novel for some time now.

What would be the best bet in getting started and are there any particular events you would suggest for a first timer? Thanks! Look forward to meeting all of you in the future. :)
  • Pappy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • First in, Last out
  • Thank Yous: 103
24 Jul 2012 22:06 #2 by Pappy (Quan)
Replied by Pappy (Quan) on topic Interested in Attending!
Hi Danielle,
Welcome to Knight Realms! I'm Luis the all things kitchen guy, I also help with new players as well. You wouldn't be the first time Larp'er to be nervous :P It's a great experience. You'll find everyone to be super helpful as far as understanding the rules, which I would take the time to get familiar with while on the web site... Ren Faire is great exposure to what costuming should be as well as the general way to act..

Being a merchant is a great idea, you'll be able to be part of the market fair we hold during the weekend.

As far as when to attend, well, they all have their pro's and con's that is; if you like warm weather the summer events are great because the camp has a beach area and the nature trails are fantastic. If cold is your thing well, winters are beautiful and fun, last winter their even was a massive snow ball war, fun to watch and be in...

I'm sure more will chime in with more information... Don't be shy about asking questions. See Ya soon...

Quan Liu Shen
Former Headmaster of Wudan Mtn. Academy             
"When the time comes, a mouse can become a tiger"

--*--

Vladmir Ahmad As'Hassin
Brotherhood of workers Guild

OGG:
     Luis C
Kitchen Staff
Officer
  • Keavy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Will bite when provoked
  • Thank Yous: 231
25 Jul 2012 09:44 #3 by Keavy (Dani)
Replied by Keavy (Dani) on topic Interested in Attending!
Another Danielle(who also likes to draw)! Welcome to Knight Realms!

One way I felt it made the transition from Non-LARPer to LARPer was to NPC my first weekend. Its free, and you get to play out so many different roles which helps you understand what the world is like and what to expect when you make a PC. It also gives you extra build when you do start your PC! Plus, the hilarity that ensues while in Logistics/NPC land is some you'll never forget.

Hope to see you soon!

In Loyalty to Arawyn,
Keavy Lylas Kennyr'renaith
Servant and Protector of Arawyn
Druid | Totem Diviner | Herald of Nature
Danielle Sanfilippo
25 Jul 2012 09:50 #4 by Montegue Brigums (MontegueBrigums)
Replied by Montegue Brigums (MontegueBrigums) on topic Interested in Attending!
Hiya danielle!! Afellow new LARPer huh?! Same here in fact, besides the fact that i live in Ohio myself! (apparently, a trend seems to be starting to show itself in ohio lol!) Well i am glad to see that i wont be the only person from ohio there sometime soon! Mayhaps i shall see you there next month when i go for the first time!

OOG Mike S.
  • Danielle
25 Jul 2012 15:19 - 25 Jul 2012 15:19 #5 by Danielle (Nemeah)
Replied by Danielle (Nemeah) on topic Interested in Attending!
I love the fact that you have a camp ground area for your events. I love the outdoors so much. I trail run ever other day right now. The only hard thing for me is going to be trying to think up a new costume! My Ren Faire garb will not fit anymore as I lost nearly 150lbs from August 2011 til now, finally at a normal weight. But I suppose part of the fun will be working on a new costume anyway. :)

And that sounds like it might be a good idea, Keavy. Especially if I don't have a full costume ready at my first event. Will be a great way too enjoy everything, get to know people and still have time to work on ideas for my character. What type of art do you do?

Nice to meet you, Monteque! And yes, I noticed you were from Cleveland? I was there a little while back, actually. I just moved to Columbus in November. I wish I could make it next month, but I probably won't be able to make any events until October (I am getting married in September and visiting Wisconsin again to see my friends at Bristol Faire in August). But either way, I love driving, so that isn't a huge issue for me. Who knows, maybe someday we can carpool. :)
Last edit: 25 Jul 2012 15:19 by Danielle (Nemeah).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Montegue Brigums (MontegueBrigums)
  • Kelly
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Thank Yous: 134
25 Jul 2012 15:54 #6 by Kelly (Kelly)
Replied by Kelly (Kelly) on topic Interested in Attending!
Congrats on getting married! As for costuming, there are a couple of us who make costumes (myself included) so thats an option you have. I also know of a ton of different costume websites if you have anything specific you're looking for but can't find at a faire or online. Let me know if you have any questions on that.

Dame Zafrin Yhatzi
Knight of Drega'mire

OOG: Kelly Osborne
25 Jul 2012 18:16 #7 by Montegue Brigums (MontegueBrigums)
Replied by Montegue Brigums (MontegueBrigums) on topic Interested in Attending!
nah was born in the clevland area, but i live in the cincinnati are now! Congrats on the marriage!! Will the future husband also be joining the group?

OOG Mike S.
  • Keavy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
25 Jul 2012 20:20 #8 by Keavy (Dani)

Danielle wrote: And that sounds like it might be a good idea, Keavy. Especially if I don't have a full costume ready at my first event. Will be a great way too enjoy everything, get to know people and still have time to work on ideas for my character. What type of art do you do?

Yup! Thats what I did, and everyone here is super kind and helpful so it won't be an issue if you have questions about anything while you're there.
I like to draw a lot of different things, but mostly creating characters for stories I have, or plans for future ones for KR other than my current PC! I also really love to paint abstract works. :)

In Loyalty to Arawyn,
Danielle Sanfilippo
  • Danielle
26 Jul 2012 04:19 #9 by Danielle (Nemeah)
Replied by Danielle (Nemeah) on topic Interested in Attending!
Aww, thanks, Kelly! And yes, I plan to do similar. I find it is so much more enjoyable when you piece a costume together bit by bit and create many of the pieces. I love creating, it is in my blood! For more difficult things I am not as accustomed to making myself, I will purchase, but anything I can make, I will. However, if you have any good places for costume bits you think might help, feel free to send them my way! I read through a bit of the new player guide today and I am thinking of adapting the general idea and design from one of two of my graphic novel characters, Eddie and Caelestis. Some changes of course. They will end up a whole new character, but design wise, I wanted to keep things similar, but I will play around with it a bit. Here are some of the concepts I have done of each:

Eddie: x | x | x

Caelestis: x | x | x

Any suggestions or thoughts would be wonderful in terms of costuming. Thinking of making my PC human though, not sure if I want to go for anything else right away.

Montegue, thank you so much! And as for my future husband, I am not really sure yet! I never in my wildest dreams thought I would want to get married again. I never intended to even stay in Columbus when I came out this way. I was here for day labor for a few days before driving to LA to start a new life. The right man just fell in my lap I suppose and somehow did away with my hardened exterior. He, however, has never even gone to a ren faire, so I hope I can convince him to come in the future, but it may take him a little longer. He is a big gamer and used to play quite a bit of D&D, so you may perhaps meet him at an event as well!

You all seem so nice, Keavy. <3 And that is awesome! I do much the same, drawing and creating characters for my novel series and now my graphic novel. Ever think of getting into comics yourself? We need more gals doing long form stories out there!

And since I have seen many of your faces in the amazing gallery photos, I figured I might as well properly introduce myself with my own pictures.

x | x

(I run a weight loss/fitness blog on tumblr, hence the "before/during" photo)
  • Keavy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
26 Jul 2012 19:22 #10 by Keavy (Dani)
I have, actually. I just find the hardest part is actually getting started >_< But, yes, I definitely want to make my own comics. :)

In Loyalty to Arawyn,
Danielle Sanfilippo
14 Jan 2017 14:02 #11 by Shawn Bounds (Shawn)
Replied by Shawn Bounds (Shawn) on topic Interested in Attending!
Hi Danielle I too am new here at knights realms, I also live in Ohio seems like a big community, I just joined this week. Hard part of being new and getting started is going to events.

Shawn Bounds
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mantel (sigma-j)
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.534 seconds