Fighting style change

29 Aug 2012 00:45 #1 by Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
Fighting style change was created by Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
Hi! So...I just recently started playing at KR and I was wondering if you experienced folks could give me some advice about my fighting style. As of now, I fight with a 45 inch bastard sword and can use a bow, though I have yet to do so. The sword I use is a boffer and after my first event (July) i decided that I wanted something more realistic. I am thinking of making a switch from bastard sword to a 23 inch katana style sword. I figure this will work in my favor since I'm only 5'4" and im agile and fast. But I am wondering what the experienced people have to say. Is making this switch an amazing idea, or will i get my butt kicked? I play a ranger at the moment and am really good at sneaking if that helps. I would just hate to by a $60 sword and then get owned the first time i fight with it. All help is greatly appreciated!

Horace Aemains
(Kramer Kwalick)
OOG-Kramer K
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
29 Aug 2012 01:09 #2 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Fighting style change
Find me In-Game, we can spar and see what style fits you best, that way you know which way to go and you can decide what to do with the sword.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
29 Aug 2012 02:28 #3 by Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
Replied by Horace Aemains (Kromulus) on topic Fighting style change
Thanks! I should be able to find you pretty easily since I was sworn in as a vassel to Kaladonia in july.

Horace Aemains
(Kramer Kwalick)
OOG-Kramer K
  • Keavy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Will bite when provoked
  • Thank Yous: 231
29 Aug 2012 09:40 #4 by Keavy (Dani)
Replied by Keavy (Dani) on topic Fighting style change
There are benefits and detriments to having a bastard sword. I've been using a 42 inch bastard since my character came IG and I've loved it up until recently. I'm actually going through the same change as you are, and just like ^Conor, I will be sparring with someone to find which fighting style I fit best with. Find us both (I'm Kaladonian too :) ) and we'll help you out!

Also, just to point out, don't forget to have your OOG/Real name at the bottom of your posts as your signature!

In Loyalty to Arawyn,
Keavy Lylas Kennyr'renaith
Servant and Protector of Arawyn
Druid | Totem Diviner | Herald of Nature
Danielle Sanfilippo
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
29 Aug 2012 10:10 #5 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Fighting style change
Looks like Kaladonia is going to be full of sparring matches this coming event - its a good thing I should finally be combat active again this month. :)

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jack (Keeperofdice), Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
  • Chesta
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank Yous: 134
29 Aug 2012 12:23 #6 by Chesta (Kevin)
Replied by Chesta (Kevin) on topic Fighting style change
Good luck with the matches. My brother and I have been studying swords and other weapons for a few years. from what you described it seems a lighter katana based weapon does seem like something more approprait than the common bastard. The lighter weapon should allow for quicker movements and reactions and the length should allow you to retain most of your fighting style(depending if you use one hand or two) from the bastard the only thing being you need to adjust to the reduced weight. good luck with the new weapon.

Chesta Hartwick MazoKisei
29 Aug 2012 14:05 #7 by Templar Bjørn MacInnes (Bjørn MacInnes)
Replied by Templar Bjørn MacInnes (Bjørn MacInnes) on topic Fighting style change
I find that a good starting spot to look at for sword length is between 30 and 36 inches. I'd say try something like that, and you may like it, or you may like something longer/shorter. With a 23" sword, you may find yourself to be just out of reach a lot, especially if you have been using a longer sword until now. Typically, I'd pick a sword that is about half as tall as I am, maybe a wee bit longer.
Another thing to think of is how you plan on using your weapon. You may have been using the bastard 2 handed to get the extra damage, but with anything shorter, this doesn't lead to fighting well. Using 2 hands on the weapon slows down all your movements and restricts you from getting a full range of motion. In larping(in my own opinion)2 hands on a sword that is controllable with 1 hand is only going to hurt you.
The last thing I would say you should think about what style of fighting you are thinking of. If you decide on a good one handed sword, you may want to use a shield in the other hand, or another sword, or you may just want to keep your other hand free.

Templar Bjørn MacInnes, Zealot of the Holy Spirit
Alt: Thog
Alt: Ivan Solvei
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OOG: Eric Cripps
29 Aug 2012 14:13 #8 by Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
Thanks for the help! The only reason i chose a bastard sword was because i wanted the extra damage, but the option to go one handed if need be. Dual wield sounds like a good idea, thanks for the tip!

Horace Aemains
(Kramer Kwalick)
OOG-Kramer K
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 448
29 Aug 2012 14:48 #9 by geezer (geezer)
Replied by geezer (geezer) on topic Fighting style change
I find that weapon speed is more important than almost anything, with smaller weapons typically being faster. I am also your height (well, an inch taller) and have no problem hitting larger people with a 1 HE sized weapon.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster
Master of the Mages' Guild

An ethical person does the right thing when no one is watching.

OOG - Charlie Spiegel - Kitchen Marshal

"War is a matter of vital importance to the State..."
  • Alex
  • Kingslayer
  • Thank Yous: 206
29 Aug 2012 19:45 #10 by Alex (Wormwood)
Replied by Alex (Wormwood) on topic Fighting style change
i wouldnt worry too too much about getting beat up. pick a fighting style that compliments your character and that you are comfortable with. at the end of the day, the object here is not to win but instead to tell a story. choose the weapons that will help you best get into character! also, when sparring in kaladonia, please hit kristen very hard. thanks.

OOG: Alex B.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elric_Ashby (Elric_Ashby), Annora (Karen), Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
  • Caelvan
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Blights will taste my sword. Those who corrupt Arawyn will pay with their lives
  • Thank Yous: 487
29 Aug 2012 19:48 #11 by Caelvan (Caelvan)
Replied by Caelvan (Caelvan) on topic Fighting style change
Well Alex, I think he'll be sparring with me while Dani is sparring with Kristen.

Caelvan Renaith
March Warden of Selandrias
[hr]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Gal'Azin Merikh Tazam
Death's Will
[hr]
OOG:
Conor Peckham
-Marshal
29 Aug 2012 19:54 #12 by Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
Thank you so much for the support! I am really shy since I am new and really want to fight well to make an impression, but you are right, it isn't about just winning.

Horace Aemains
(Kramer Kwalick)
OOG-Kramer K
  • Velius
  • Never walk into a fair fight when walking into an unfair fight is an option.
  • Thank Yous: 76
30 Aug 2012 17:40 #13 by Velius (Velius)
Replied by Velius (Velius) on topic Fighting style change
You also may wish to consider NPCing for an event, or even for a few extra shifts. It allows you to be cast in multiple roles, during which you will have the opportunity to play with a variety of fighting styles. It's also a great way to earn extra service, which is always a boon for newer players. One additional benefit is that you will have some OOG downtime in logistics between being sent out to [strike]die horribly[/strike] roleplay with your fellow players, during which you can ask questions about the game and get opinions on fighting from others.

"I don't always NPC. But when I do, it's for years at a time."
30 Aug 2012 18:00 #14 by Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
If I just do an extra shift or 2, will I get SP? or do I have to NPC for a whole exent to get SP?

Horace Aemains
(Kramer Kwalick)
OOG-Kramer K
  • Aleister
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank Yous: 1504
30 Aug 2012 18:29 #15 by Aleister (Aleister)
Replied by Aleister (Aleister) on topic Fighting style change
For every extra hour you NPC, you get 150sp.

Lord Admiral Aleister Demirosz, the Phoenix

-Steve Oros
Assistant Director
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
30 Aug 2012 19:16 #16 by geezer (geezer)
You can also earn SP by helping in the kitchen - washing dishes, filling bottles, setting up feast, and cleaning up after. It has the added advantage of introducing you to lots of people IG, many of whom know lots of other people.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

30 Aug 2012 19:38 #17 by Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
Thanks! I really want to meet as many people as I can. Getting extra build is a must for me too because I want to learn a new profession soon.

Horace Aemains
(Kramer Kwalick)
OOG-Kramer K
30 Aug 2012 20:21 #18 by Sean Moulson (Moulson13)
Replied by Sean Moulson (Moulson13) on topic Fighting style change
If your looking to help in the kitchen. I've done it every game that I've been there and its actually lots of fun and you get to meet a lot of people as mentioned above. I really recommend it to meet people. However since this is about fighting styles if you NPC an extra shift or two you can get a little more experience with weapons and what you like using. Example I've learned that I am terrible with small shields and need to work on them, thanks to everyone.

Anhil Shadesar, Knight of Kaladonia

Storyteller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Annora (Karen), Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
  • geezer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
30 Aug 2012 22:54 #19 by geezer (geezer)
I would not be in a hurry for the 2nd profession as you are just starting out. I would suggest a 6 month plan where you lay our where you want to be. However. that was my approach and we all know there are 32 flavors of ice cream for a reason.

Edwin Haroldson
Loremaster

• Annora
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • SKRAW!
  • Thank Yous: 316
30 Aug 2012 23:03 #20 by Annora (Karen)
Replied by Annora (Karen) on topic Fighting style change
Now I'm even sadder that I'm missing the September event...Kaladonian sparring sounds like so much fun.

To add to what everyone has said, I highly recommend NPCing as a way to learn about fighting styles. The night NPC shifts tend to be higher combat from what I have seen in my limited tenure. I personally love being sent out as combat NPCs...it's a great opportunity to play with different fighting styles without worrying about staying alive as your PC. I've personally found a lot of fun with certain stabby rogue roles--a radical change from my PC--and I'm also working on trying out master florentining. Let the marshals on that shift know you want to try different fighting styles/roles and see what they send you out as!

[hr]
OOG: Karen Y
Card Raptor
  • GJSchaller
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Character is to a person, what carbon is to steel.
  • Thank Yous: 1379
30 Aug 2012 23:38 #21 by GJSchaller (GJSchaller)
Replied by GJSchaller (GJSchaller) on topic Fighting style change
As someone who wields a bastard weapon, Damage is NOT the reason to do it... you get much better damage out of a 2H or Pole Arm, and you get much better speed (and thus more hits) out of a 1H weapon.

The main reason to go Bastard length is for reach. I'm a long-limbed goofball with a big shield - I can tap people at a longer range than they can tap me, and I can also cast spells through my weapon. I don't need to hit hard, or hit often, I just need to hit first, which the reach lets me do.

If you want pure damage output, go Pole Arm or 2H. If you want speed, variety, and a mix of offense or defense, go 1H, and you can mix it up with another weapon, or a shield. Bastard only works best if you very specifically are going for a reach advantage.

That being said, I'll echo the statements above about NPCing first, and trying out styles before you make a PC. It's free to NPC, you get build, and you learn a lot before you make your PC, which can help you make decisions.

Lord Gideon Weaveforger of Kaladonia
Steward of Elvalion
OOG: Geoffrey Schaller
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bladesworn (Bladesworn)
31 Aug 2012 02:03 #22 by Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
Wow. I was waaaay off the mark in choosing bastard as my weapon. Waisted that build i guess. Ah well, guess I'll find someone ingame to teach me 1h edged. Now that i think about it, I shouldnt have waisted build on both bastard and bow. T_T

Horace Aemains
(Kramer Kwalick)
OOG-Kramer K
  • Chris G.
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Our Life is Made by the Death of Others...
  • Thank Yous: 95
31 Aug 2012 02:05 #23 by Chris G. (Cross)
Replied by Chris G. (Cross) on topic Fighting style change
Not to worry, we allow a "Mulligan" after your first event if you were unhappy with your race/class/skill choices!

[hr]
Squire Lucas R. Brand
Squire to Lord Antrim Ardentfyre
--
Tanis Rily'anna
--
OOG: Chris Goley
Mook
  • rivanyasi
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Opportunity lets you find, Skill lets you procure.
  • Thank Yous: 42
31 Aug 2012 02:06 #24 by rivanyasi (rivanyasi)
Replied by rivanyasi (rivanyasi) on topic Fighting style change
Well, if you're new and you're really regretting it, you can re-roll... but I can tell you from experience, it never hurts to have a backup or two.

You won't have an shortage of teachers for 1HE, though. Plenty of us use it.

Na'ar Chacov, Soul of the Stars.

Ayiri Amexis, Sorceress' Apprentice.
Lupta Tamasa, Torn and Blackened.

OOG: Riva A.
31 Aug 2012 02:15 #25 by Horace Aemains (Kromulus)
If I decide to make some changes, how will that affect things in-game? i.e. If i choose to change my bastard edged to 1h edged, do i turn in my item cards (i have steel and electrum bastard swords) in exchange for a steel longsword item card? Also, are you ONLY allowed to "Mulligan" first event, or can it be when ever?

Horace Aemains
(Kramer Kwalick)
OOG-Kramer K
  • Elric_Ashby
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • LORD OF POTATOES
  • Thank Yous: 113
31 Aug 2012 10:26 #26 by Elric_Ashby (Elric_Ashby)
Replied by Elric_Ashby (Elric_Ashby) on topic Fighting style change
You can also have a smith reforge your weapon.
If you get a steel and electrum 1 hander, remember to swing for every single damage type when fighting lycanthropes, they hate math.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Father Elric Ashby, Artificer, Priest of Galladel, Master of the Adventurer's guild, Warden of the Phokus.

Dr. Viktor Solvei, Pioneer Surgeon

OOG Benjamin Oakley, New Player Marshal... of doom
  • Elawyn
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank Yous: 177
31 Aug 2012 10:54 #27 by Elawyn (Elawyn)
Replied by Elawyn (Elawyn) on topic Fighting style change
Hi Kramer,

No worries, with so many options its hard to know what do to when you first show up. You really only have the first game or two to be able to change your character card/items if you aren't happy with it for free - after that it would cost your once ever "re-roll". Just bring your weapon cards to sign in, and ask that someone there help you rewrite your character, and they should exchange your weapon cards for you as well.

If you are asking how to justify these changes in roleplay ingame, its just a matter of suspension of disbelief. If you are basically planning to play the same character personality wise and just changing your weapon skills, this is no issue from a roleplay standpoint, just continue as if no change occurred and no one will mind. Continue to talk to the PCs you met last game as if you know them, remember everything that happened, etc. If you think you want to completely remake your character from the ground up, with a new personality, completely different goals and professions, etc etc, there is no rule that says you cannot remember everything from your first game, but in that case I would think it is probably best to start new, as you may find your new incarnation meshes better with other sets of characters (and it winds up being less confusing for everyone else!).

Hope this helps!

Defend the Land for it is the Base of the Pillar,

Elawyn Featherthorn Brightstar
Acolyte of the Circle of Ten & Chosen of Fey Lord Tillion
Guardian of Belladeen

---
OOG: Kristen M.
Moderators: Lois Heimdell (LoisMaxwell)
Time to create page: 0.694 seconds